2021年7月13日火曜日

John Henry(1943-2020) 2017 Vested Interest and Limits to Reform - MMT

John Henry 2017 Vested Interest and Limits to Reform - MMT
ジョン・ヘンリー 2017 既得権益と改革の限界 - MMT

Vested Interest and Limits to Reform - MMT - John Henry
2017/11/11
https://youtu.be/tPtwfaV7Jiw

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1035304620986111

John F. Henry: 17 April 1943–26 September 2020: A tribute

MO - Legacy.com


September 26, 2020. Kansas City, Missouri - John F. Henry, Ph.D., died at his home in Kansas City on September 26, 2020. Dr. Henry served for more than a decade as a valued member of the faculty in the Department of Economics at the​ ...

ケルトンの大学時代の恩師 

参考:

ケルトンとバルファキス2020

https://love-and-theft-2014.blogspot.com/2021/01/2020.html?m=1

 

 Vested Interest and Limits to Reform - MMT - John Henry 

124 回視聴2017/11/11 3 0 共有 保存 Michabo Sustainable Harmony チャンネル登録者数 7530人 First International Conference on Modern Monetary Theory 2017 Important comments very pertinent to MMT Job Guarantee Programs. John F. Henry Professor Emeritus - California State University Sacramento Research Professor 2005 to 2014 – UMKC Veblen-Commons Award 2016 - Association for Evolutionary Economics MA and Ph.D. Economics - McGill University コメントはオフになっています。詳細 文字起こし I'm not hostile to the WPA I could make a presentation all the great things that the WPA accomplished but that's not my objective I want to speak to issues that I think JG the job guarantee program adherence should pay attention to even within the framework of a capitalist economy governments could should they choose generate a near fully employed economy because I don't think we I don't think we want a new WPA Roosevelt Tugwell others were also averse to large-scale government project they saw these projects as actually antagonistic to the economic order Harry Hopkins I would not have us compete by public works with private industry those cultural projects educational projects I would argue in the long run were actually if not more more important than the infrastructure the construction of buildings and what-have-you they were at least as important the CWA was extremely impressive actually given two months of existence and the first such project that the government undertook why was it canceled very quickly get the economy moving and then stand back get out of the way that was the eye that was the objective why aren't labor unions pushing for a job guarantee program the program WPA did pay market wages but in the South market wages for blacks and whites in particular in the South were significantly different an anti-racist program has to be included in the jobs guarantee not just anti-racist gender issues all environmental issues without reservations but a model for the job guarantee programs that are being floated and of course job guarantee programs have an a relationship a very close relationship to MNT because we all know that in fact even within the framework of a capitalist economy governments could should they choose generate a near fully employed economy I'm not precisely sure what full employment means so I'll just say nearly full employee anybody who wants a job can get a job right and there's any number of papers that have circulated any number of presentations discussions etc with the title something like we need a new WPA right everybody's familiar with that well I'm going to put forward some let's say reservations about the WPA several of which are not discussed in the jg or mmt literature right because I don't think we I don't think we want a new WPA and you'll know why when I'm go through the argument now a a good deal of my criticisms are somewhat related to Veblen's concept of the vested interests but also we have to talk a little bit about Keynes and I'll bring in Hyman Minsky at a particular point now the first thing I want to do is discuss very quickly the economic leadings of some of the major figures in the roosevelt administration including Roosevelt himself if you look at and professor sturgeon will appreciate this Rexford Tugwell who was the institutionalists in the Roosevelt administration individuals such as Carter glass of glass steagle the Banking Act of 1933 and so on what you will find is the terrifying realization that what what what you will find is that the leading figures of the New Deal administration were balanced budget sound money men as they called themselves okay Roosevelt came into office on a balanced budget program in his first period he slashed government spending including military spending interestingly enough and we know that in 1937 when the economy looked as if it might be recovering he reverted to his balanced budget mantra again spending with Slash including spending on the WPA and the result was the 1938 reversal right back into a depression Roosevelt Tugwell others were also averse to large-scale government projects work projects they saw these projects such as the WPA they saw these projects as actually antagonistic to the economic order and to the liberal ideology that dominated in the 1930 that is you didn't want government activity to be associated with anything that was remotely of a socialist nature and put socialists in quotation marks or for that matter because you had criticisms from both the left and the right or of a fascist nature because if you look at the Italian program starting in the 1920s you say wait a minute that's like the WPA in certain respects right I don't want to strip stretch that too far but in any case they in the administration basically there was actually little support for programs like the wpa wpa2 of the WPA in a bit now I'm not hostile to the WPA right I could make a presentation all the great things that the WPA accomplished but that's not my objective I want to speak to issues that I think JG the job guarantee program adherence should pay attention to right based upon the WPA program okay now WPA accomplished great deal infrastructure like buildings of all sorts lots of post offices they love post offices and you'll know why in a second right federal theater project federal arts project federal music project federal writers prize it wasn't just building post offices and schools and football stadiums right now those cultural projects educational projects adult literacy programs and things of that sort I would argue in the long run we're actually if not more more important than the infrastructure the construction of buildings and what-have-you they were at least as important and if you look at the federal theater project in particular under highly Flanagan that was the most radical aspect of the works project Progress Administration the WPA that's where you saw challenges to capitalism put forward in the theater and that's where you saw and I'm coming back to this the only anti-racist program within the New Deal administration if you leave Eleanor Roosevelt aside because she was not a racist right but she wasn't an organizer of the WPA okay I remind you that Kings right even while he was participating in the fight against the German military machine in World War two he agreed to chair the council for the encouragement of music and the arts which was organized in 1940 right in England he was very keen on the arts and he saw that as a an integral important aspect of the modern economic and social order okay now prior to the WPA the Roosevelt administration organized the Civil Works Administration the CWA right organized in November 1933 under the directorship of Harry Hopkins ended in April of 1934 right but essentially ended or began to end in February 1934 to active months of existence that's all right that's all right now this is the first time that the government served as what Keynes labeled the entrepreneurs in chief right where the government took an active role in organizing aspects of the economy that's Keynes references entrepreneurs it's actually Hubert Henderson's terms but forget that a very successful program in the first month it employed two million unemployed at its peak in mid January 1934 four million had been put on the federal payroll in its short existence 250,000 miles of roads were built or improved twelve million feet of sewer line laid that's very important given the United States of the day school buildings constructed renovated playgrounds hospitals etc 50,000 teachers hired to teach adult education classes the list is long and it's very impressive two months of active existence secondly wages were paid at prevailing rates with a minimum wage specified wait wages vary based upon skills and region etc black and white workers were paid the same wage okay keep bear that in mind all right let's go administrators of the CWA established a catalogue of skills and attempted to match skills with the jobs at hand right now the question is the CWA was extremely impressive actually given two months of existence and the first such project that the government undertook why was it canceled very quickly why was it canceled well the first problem with the CWA was that it was an emergency program lots of most of the New Deal programs we emergency right let me quote the National Resources Planning Board which we could talk about at length if we chose but we don't National Resources Planning Board the emergency nature the New Deal programs proved problematic and stabilizing employment a series of emergency programs the public works construction may be self-defeating and achieving the aim of employment stabilization throughout the entire period discussed there was no definitely continuing policy to guide the planners administrators of federal state local government each program was said it as if it were the last now if you go to Cannes probably no she's doing something else bubbly mature tournament there oh oh you're here I thought you were okay Pavlina has a paper of 2012 or whatever where she brings in Keynes's on-the-spot Employment Program this is very similar to hyman minsky taking workers as they are a continuing program right not an emergency program not a temporary now of course jg adherents want a continuing program but it's very important that that be built into the economy as whole forget about pump priming the neoclassical version of Keynes or anything of that sort it's so anyway there's a there's a whole lot of things one could say about the CDA why was it canceled so quickly Roosevelt program Roosevelt administration never had any intent to implement programs that would conflict with or at least so they as they saw it the capitalist economy basically or capitalist interests right business interest get the economy moving and then stand back get out of the way that was the I that was the objective Roosevelt and Hopkins on the CWA we must be careful it does not become a habit with this country government employment we must not take the position that we are going to have permanent depression in this country and it is very important that we have somebody to say quite forcefully that's quite forcefully to these people right so anyway objections to the CWA this is interesting you would you might expect the business community to have objections since the CWA because they were hiring unemployed workers the fear was that this would drive up wages for all workers right your pool of the reserve army is diminishing maybe wages are going to rise cost of production going to rise that's understandable the AF of L which was the leading labor organization at the time right also objected because they thought that the program is going to drive wages down right now this raises a question then I have never thought about until about three months ago two months ago okay why aren't labor unions pushing for a job guarantee program why haven't they in the past you know I I don't have an answer it's not a rhetorical question or anything but I think it should be addressed what is the issue with labor unions okay now how much time do I have good ok now go to the WPA finally okay major shortcomings right first of all limited in scope emergency etc emergency measure right Harry Hopkins I quote the director of the WPA policy from the first was not to compete with private business hence we could neither work on private property set up a rival merchandising system nor form a work outlet through manufacturing even though manufacturing had contributed to relief rules hundreds of thousands of workers accustomed to operating machines and to doing nothing else for a living okay so you don't want to be in competition with the private sector right so you got to find stuff that is non-competitive right so what do you do well you build buildings you construct roads you construct hospitals you set up medical programs you set up the federal theater project you set up etc etc etc fine well and good of the 3,000 structures that were built under WP auspices 1400 were post offices ask why right and the bulk of the remainder were school buildings it's perfectly reasonable that school buildings right but I ask why post offices well non-competitive right the post office is a government program right so you need buildings in which males can be deposited and moved along right market wages the program WPA did pro pay market wages but in the South market wages for blacks and whites in particular in the South were significantly different in other words the wage policy of the WPA maintained the racist relationships within the labor market right it goes beyond that okay I want to talk a little bit about the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1933 the Agricultural Adjustment Act which Professor surgeon knows a lot about actually because he's a farmer the AAA right in the south at the time South was segregated oh maybe I don't know how many people are familiar with US history it was segregated by law right by law this is the Jim Crow system this is that part ID right okay the large farmers in the South depended upon mainly tenant farming and sharecropping and the bulk of the sharecroppers in particular were black okay now did the AAA touch the segregationist agricultural system in the South thing the answer is no tenant farmers sharecroppers and farm labor in general were excluded from the Agricultural Adjustment Act and the fairly fair wage per Labor Standards Act of 1937 down the road there was not one civil rights program contained within the New Deal in other words here's a problem right I'll make it a very general issue Jadey programs have to be mindful that any such program is going to have to be implemented within the framework of the existing social order right the social order in the United States is still of a racist nature it may not be as Extreme as that of the 1930s but it's still racist and of course over the last couple of years that has become increasingly prominent again racism or an anti-racist program has to be included in the jobs guaranteed program right not just anti-racist gender issues or environmental issues I think that the j.g adherence of course are aware of the environmental issues I don't hear much about racism I don't hear much about gender issues but if you're going to do something that's more substantial than just providing jobs those issues have to be included I could talk about the banking I can go back to the issue of racism again but I'm not gonna do it job classifications in the CWA you tried to match skills to the job in the WPA it was willy nilly right and this conforms to Minsky taking workers as they are right now what was necessary are were much more extensive training programs in addition to obviously learning on the job you know you can learn new skills but training programs now the j.g programs that I've read about always include training programs and I think that that's that's absolutely necessary and should be emphasized use value exchange value okay am I done one more one more point they the WPA could not engage in activities that were designed to produce what are called commodities use values stuff right for exchange exchange was ruled out they could only produce use values stuff right post offices school buildings football stadiums were still suffering from the University of Arkansas a football stadium that's sort of an inside joke of a sort but in any case used values right now I gotta I gotta read a quote sorry right Harry Hopkins WPA projects were those that are socially useful which are important to the nation which are outside the ordinary scope of our economic system I would not have us compete by public works with private industry socially useful important but not competitive what the WPA and other programs demonstrated and this was actually argued as a consequence of World War one developments is that government if its use could in fact organize an economy on the basis of use-values only you don't require exchange to operate an economy exchange is a relatively recent development right and historically significantly only within the last four hundred years or so that's a short time right you can organize it now if you do that of course you're outside a capitalist framework and there's the problem and I'm out of time and if anybody if anybody wants if anybody wants larger paper on this issue that incorporates more stuff send me an email if you can find me real fighting 

 


Vested Interest and Limits to Reform - MMT - John Henry 

124 回視聴2017/11/11 3 0 共有 保存 Michabo Sustainable Harmony 

チャンネル登録者数 7530人 First International Conference on Modern Monetary Theory 2017 Important comments very pertinent to MMT Job Guarantee Programs. John F. Henry Professor Emeritus - California State University Sacramento Research Professor 2005 to 2014 – UMKC Veblen-Commons Award 2016 - Association for Evolutionary Economics MA and Ph.D. Economics - McGill University コメントはオフになっています。

詳細 文字起こし 00:03 I'm not hostile to the WPA I could make 00:07 a presentation all the great things that 00:09 the WPA accomplished but that's not my 00:12 objective I want to speak to issues that 00:15 I think JG the job guarantee program 00:19 adherence should pay attention to even 00:23 within the framework of a capitalist 00:25 economy governments could should they 00:29 choose generate a near fully employed 00:33 economy because I don't think we I don't 00:37 think we want a new WPA Roosevelt 00:41 Tugwell others were also averse to 00:45 large-scale government project they saw 00:48 these projects as actually antagonistic 00:53 to the economic order Harry Hopkins I 00:58 would not have us compete by public 01:02 works with private industry 01:05 those cultural projects educational 01:09 projects I would argue in the long run 01:13 were actually if not more more important 01:18 than the infrastructure the construction 01:21 of buildings and what-have-you 01:23 they were at least as important the CWA 01:27 was extremely impressive actually given 01:31 two months of existence and the first 01:33 such project that the government 01:36 undertook why was it canceled very 01:41 quickly get the economy moving and then 01:45 stand back get out of the way that was 01:48 the eye that was the objective 01:51 why aren't labor unions pushing for a 01:56 job guarantee program the program WPA 02:00 did pay market wages but in the South 02:05 market wages for blacks and whites in 02:07 particular in the South were 02:10 significantly different an anti-racist 02:14 program has to be included in the jobs 02:18 guarantee not just anti-racist gender 02:23 issues all environmental issues 02:29 without reservations but a model for the 02:33 job guarantee programs that are being 02:36 floated and of course job guarantee 02:39 programs have an a relationship a very 02:42 close relationship to MNT because we all 02:47 know that in fact even within the 02:50 framework of a capitalist economy 02:53 governments could should they choose 02:56 generate a near fully employed economy 03:01 I'm not precisely sure what full 03:02 employment means so I'll just say nearly 03:04 full employee anybody who wants a job 03:07 can get a job right and there's any 03:12 number of papers that have circulated 03:14 any number of presentations discussions 03:17 etc with the title something like we 03:20 need a new WPA right everybody's 03:24 familiar with that well I'm going to put 03:29 forward some let's say reservations 03:34 about the WPA several of which are not 03:40 discussed in the jg or mmt literature 03:44 right because I don't think we I don't 03:47 think we want a new WPA and you'll know 03:50 why when I'm go through the argument now 03:55 a a good deal of my criticisms are 03:59 somewhat related to Veblen's concept of 04:03 the vested interests but also we have to 04:07 talk a little bit about Keynes and I'll 04:10 bring in Hyman Minsky at a particular 04:13 point now the first thing I want to do 04:16 is discuss very quickly the economic 04:19 leadings of some of the major figures in 04:22 the roosevelt administration including 04:25 Roosevelt himself if you look at and 04:29 professor sturgeon will appreciate this 04:32 Rexford Tugwell who was the 04:36 institutionalists in the 04:38 Roosevelt administration individuals 04:41 such as Carter glass of glass steagle 04:44 the Banking Act of 1933 and so on what 04:50 you will find is the terrifying 04:57 realization that what what what you will 05:03 find is that the leading figures of the 05:07 New Deal administration were balanced 05:11 budget sound money men as they called 05:15 themselves okay 05:16 Roosevelt came into office on a balanced 05:19 budget program in his first period he 05:22 slashed government spending including 05:25 military spending interestingly enough 05:27 and we know that in 1937 when the 05:31 economy looked as if it might be 05:33 recovering he reverted to his balanced 05:37 budget mantra again spending with Slash 05:40 including spending on the WPA and the 05:43 result was the 1938 reversal right back 05:48 into a depression Roosevelt 05:53 Tugwell others were also averse to 05:57 large-scale government projects work 06:01 projects they saw these projects such as 06:06 the WPA they saw these projects as 06:10 actually antagonistic to the economic 06:15 order and to the liberal ideology that 06:19 dominated in the 1930 that is you didn't 06:24 want government activity to be 06:27 associated with anything that was 06:30 remotely of a socialist nature and put 06:34 socialists in quotation marks or for 06:36 that matter because you had criticisms 06:39 from both the left and the right or of a 06:40 fascist nature because if you look at 06:42 the Italian program starting in the 06:44 1920s you say wait a minute 06:46 that's like the WPA in certain respects 06:49 right 06:50 I don't want to strip stretch that too 06:52 far but in any case they in the 06:56 administration basically there was 06:59 actually little support for programs 07:03 like the wpa wpa2 of the WPA in a bit 07:11 now I'm not hostile to the WPA right I 07:16 could make a presentation all the great 07:19 things that the WPA accomplished but 07:21 that's not my objective I want to speak 07:23 to issues that I think JG the job 07:28 guarantee program adherence should pay 07:31 attention to right based upon the WPA 07:36 program okay now WPA accomplished great 07:40 deal infrastructure like buildings of 07:44 all sorts lots of post offices they love 07:47 post offices and you'll know why in a 07:49 second right federal theater project 07:52 federal arts project federal music 07:55 project federal writers prize it wasn't 07:57 just building post offices and schools 07:59 and football stadiums right now those 08:05 cultural projects educational projects 08:09 adult literacy programs and things of 08:12 that sort I would argue in the long run 08:16 we're actually if not more more 08:20 important than the infrastructure the 08:23 construction of buildings and 08:25 what-have-you they were at least as 08:28 important and if you look at the federal 08:31 theater project in particular under 08:33 highly Flanagan that was the most 08:36 radical aspect of the works project 08:40 Progress Administration the WPA that's 08:43 where you saw challenges to capitalism 08:47 put forward in the theater and that's 08:49 where you saw and I'm coming back to 08:51 this the only anti-racist program within 08:57 the New Deal administration if you leave 09:01 Eleanor 09:02 Roosevelt aside because she was not a 09:04 racist right but she wasn't an organizer 09:08 of the WPA okay I remind you that Kings 09:12 right even while he was participating in 09:16 the fight against the German military 09:20 machine in World War two 09:22 he agreed to chair the council for the 09:25 encouragement of music and the arts 09:27 which was organized in 1940 right in 09:31 England he was very keen on the arts and 09:36 he saw that as a an integral important 09:40 aspect of the modern economic and social 09:44 order okay now prior to the WPA 09:48 the Roosevelt administration organized 09:51 the Civil Works Administration the CWA 09:53 right organized in November 1933 under 09:58 the directorship of Harry Hopkins ended 10:02 in April of 1934 right 10:07 but essentially ended or began to end in 10:12 February 1934 to active months of 10:15 existence that's all right that's all 10:18 right now this is the first time that 10:24 the government served as what Keynes 10:27 labeled the entrepreneurs in chief right 10:31 where the government took an active role 10:34 in organizing aspects of the economy 10:37 that's Keynes references entrepreneurs 10:40 it's actually Hubert Henderson's terms 10:42 but forget that a very successful 10:46 program in the first month it employed 10:49 two million unemployed at its peak in 10:54 mid January 1934 four million had been 10:57 put on the federal payroll in its short 11:01 existence 250,000 miles of roads were 11:04 built or improved twelve million feet of 11:06 sewer line laid that's very important 11:08 given the United States of the day 11:10 school buildings constructed renovated 11:12 playgrounds hospitals etc 50,000 11:15 teachers 11:15 hired to teach adult education classes 11:19 the list is long and it's very 11:21 impressive two months of active 11:23 existence secondly wages were paid at 11:27 prevailing rates with a minimum wage 11:29 specified wait wages vary based upon 11:32 skills and region etc black and white 11:36 workers were paid the same wage 11:38 okay keep bear that in mind all right 11:43 let's go 11:46 administrators of the CWA established a 11:48 catalogue of skills and attempted to 11:50 match skills with the jobs at hand right 11:53 now the question is the CWA was 11:57 extremely impressive actually given two 12:02 months of existence and the first such 12:04 project that the government undertook 12:07 why was it canceled very quickly why was 12:12 it canceled well the first problem with 12:15 the CWA was that it was an emergency 12:18 program 12:19 lots of most of the New Deal programs we 12:21 emergency right let me quote the 12:25 National Resources Planning Board which 12:27 we could talk about at length if we 12:29 chose but we don't National Resources 12:33 Planning Board the emergency nature the 12:37 New Deal programs proved problematic and 12:39 stabilizing employment a series of 12:42 emergency programs the public works 12:44 construction may be self-defeating and 12:46 achieving the aim of employment 12:47 stabilization throughout the entire 12:50 period discussed there was no definitely 12:52 continuing policy to guide the planners 12:54 administrators of federal state local 12:56 government each program was said it as 12:58 if it were the last now if you go to 13:01 Cannes probably no she's doing something 13:04 else 13:06 bubbly mature tournament there oh oh 13:09 you're here I thought you were okay 13:11 Pavlina has a paper of 2012 or whatever 13:15 where she brings in Keynes's on-the-spot 13:20 Employment Program 13:23 this is very similar to hyman minsky 13:26 taking workers as they are a continuing 13:30 program right not an emergency program 13:34 not a temporary now of course 13:35 jg adherents want a continuing program 13:39 but it's very important that that be 13:42 built into the economy as whole forget 13:45 about pump priming the neoclassical 13:47 version of Keynes or anything of that 13:49 sort it's so anyway there's a there's a 13:53 whole lot of things one could say about 13:55 the CDA why was it canceled so quickly 13:59 Roosevelt program Roosevelt 14:01 administration never had any intent to 14:04 implement programs that would conflict 14:07 with or at least so they as they saw it 14:09 the capitalist economy basically or 14:13 capitalist interests right business 14:15 interest get the economy moving and then 14:18 stand back get out of the way that was 14:21 the I that was the objective Roosevelt 14:23 and Hopkins on the CWA we must be 14:26 careful it does not become a habit with 14:28 this country government employment we 14:31 must not take the position that we are 14:33 going to have permanent depression in 14:35 this country and it is very important 14:37 that we have somebody to say quite 14:38 forcefully that's quite forcefully to 14:41 these people right so anyway objections 14:48 to the CWA this is interesting you would 14:51 you might expect the business community 14:53 to have objections since the CWA because 14:56 they were hiring unemployed workers the 14:59 fear was that this would drive up wages 15:01 for all workers right your pool of the 15:04 reserve army is diminishing 15:07 maybe wages are going to rise cost of 15:09 production going to rise that's 15:10 understandable the AF of L which was the 15:13 leading labor organization at the time 15:15 right also objected because they thought 15:18 that the program is going to drive wages 15:21 down right now this raises a question 15:25 then I have never thought about until 15:27 about three months ago two months ago 15:30 okay 15:32 why aren't labor unions pushing for a 15:38 job guarantee program 15:39 why haven't they in the past you know I 15:43 I don't have an answer it's not a 15:45 rhetorical question or anything but I 15:48 think it should be addressed what is the 15:50 issue with labor unions okay now how 15:53 much time do I have 15:55 good ok now go to the WPA finally okay 16:00 major shortcomings right first of all 16:03 limited in scope emergency etc emergency 16:07 measure right Harry Hopkins I quote the 16:11 director of the WPA policy from the 16:15 first was not to compete with private 16:17 business 16:18 hence we could neither work on private 16:20 property set up a rival merchandising 16:22 system nor form a work outlet through 16:25 manufacturing even though manufacturing 16:28 had contributed to relief rules hundreds 16:30 of thousands of workers accustomed to 16:32 operating machines and to doing nothing 16:34 else for a living okay so you don't want 16:39 to be in competition with the private 16:41 sector right so you got to find stuff 16:44 that is non-competitive right so what do 16:49 you do well you build buildings you 16:54 construct roads you construct hospitals 16:56 you set up medical programs you set up 16:59 the federal theater project you set up 17:01 etc etc etc fine 17:03 well and good of the 3,000 structures 17:08 that were built under WP auspices 1400 17:11 were post offices ask why 17:14 right and the bulk of the remainder were 17:16 school buildings it's perfectly 17:18 reasonable that school buildings right 17:20 but I ask why post offices well 17:24 non-competitive right the post office is 17:27 a government program right so you need 17:31 buildings in which males can be 17:34 deposited and moved along right market 17:40 wages the program WPA did pro 17:42 pay market wages but in the South market 17:47 wages for blacks and whites in 17:49 particular in the South were 17:51 significantly different in other words 17:53 the wage policy of the WPA maintained 17:59 the racist relationships within the 18:03 labor market right it goes beyond that 18:07 okay I want to talk a little bit about 18:09 the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1933 18:13 the Agricultural Adjustment Act which 18:16 Professor surgeon knows a lot about 18:18 actually because he's a farmer the AAA 18:23 right in the south at the time South was 18:28 segregated oh maybe I don't know how 18:30 many people are familiar with US history 18:33 it was segregated by law right by law 18:36 this is the Jim Crow system this is that 18:38 part ID right okay the large farmers in 18:43 the South depended upon mainly tenant 18:45 farming and sharecropping and the bulk 18:48 of the sharecroppers in particular were 18:51 black okay now did the AAA touch the 18:57 segregationist agricultural system in 19:00 the South thing the answer is no tenant 19:02 farmers sharecroppers and farm labor in 19:06 general were excluded from the 19:10 Agricultural Adjustment Act and the 19:12 fairly fair wage per Labor Standards Act 19:15 of 1937 down the road there was not one 19:18 civil rights program contained within 19:22 the New Deal in other words here's a 19:25 problem right I'll make it a very 19:27 general issue 19:30 Jadey programs have to be mindful that 19:33 any such program is going to have to be 19:36 implemented within the framework of the 19:38 existing social order right the social 19:42 order in the United States is still of a 19:44 racist nature it may not be as Extreme 19:46 as that of the 1930s but it's still 19:48 racist and of course over the last 19:51 couple of years 19:52 that has become increasingly prominent 19:54 again racism or an anti-racist program 19:59 has to be included in the jobs 20:03 guaranteed program right 20:07 not just anti-racist gender issues or 20:11 environmental issues I think that the 20:15 j.g adherence of course are aware of the 20:18 environmental issues I don't hear much 20:20 about racism I don't hear much about 20:21 gender issues but if you're going to do 20:24 something that's more substantial than 20:28 just providing jobs those issues have to 20:31 be included I could talk about the 20:34 banking I can go back to the issue of 20:37 racism again but I'm not gonna do it job 20:42 classifications in the CWA you tried to 20:45 match skills to the job in the WPA it 20:49 was willy nilly right and this conforms 20:52 to Minsky taking workers as they are 20:54 right now what was necessary are were 20:57 much more extensive training programs in 21:00 addition to obviously learning on the 21:03 job you know you can learn new skills 21:04 but training programs now the j.g 21:07 programs that I've read about always 21:09 include training programs and I think 21:11 that that's that's absolutely necessary 21:13 and should be emphasized use value 21:18 exchange value okay am I done one more 21:22 one more point they the WPA could not 21:29 engage in activities that were designed 21:33 to produce what are called commodities 21:37 use values stuff right for exchange 21:42 exchange was ruled out they could only 21:44 produce use values stuff right post 21:49 offices school buildings football 21:51 stadiums were still suffering from the 21:53 University of Arkansas a football 21:55 stadium that's sort of an inside joke of 21:59 a sort but in any case used 22:03 values right now I gotta I gotta read a 22:07 quote sorry right 22:09 Harry Hopkins WPA projects were those 22:12 that are socially useful which are 22:16 important to the nation which are 22:18 outside the ordinary scope of our 22:20 economic system I would not have us 22:23 compete by public works with private 22:27 industry socially useful important but 22:31 not competitive what the WPA and other 22:36 programs demonstrated and this was 22:38 actually argued as a consequence of 22:40 World War one developments is that 22:43 government if its use could in fact 22:45 organize an economy on the basis of 22:48 use-values 22:49 only you don't require exchange to 22:53 operate an economy exchange is a 22:56 relatively recent development right and 22:59 historically significantly only within 23:03 the last four hundred years or so that's 23:06 a short time right you can organize it 23:09 now if you do that of course you're 23:12 outside a capitalist framework and 23:14 there's the problem and I'm out of time 23:16 and if anybody if anybody wants 23:26 if anybody wants larger paper on this 23:30 issue that incorporates more stuff send 23:33 me an email if you can find me real 23:36 fighting


 

詳細 文字起こし 

I'm not hostile to the WPA I could make a presentation all the great things that the WPA accomplished but that'私の目的ではありません私は、JGの雇用保証プログラムの順守は、資本主義経済の枠組みの中でさえ注意を払うべきだと思う問題について話したいと思います。ドン'新しいWPAルーズベルトタグウェルが欲しいと思う他の人たちも大規模な政府プロジェクトを嫌っていました彼らはこれらのプロジェクトを実際に経済秩序に敵対していると見ていましたハリーホプキンス私は私たちに公共事業と民間産業との競争をさせませんそれらの文化プロジェクト教育プロジェクト長期的には、建物の建設や何を持っているかというインフラストラクチャよりも重要であると主張するでしょう。少なくとも、CWAは、2か月の存在と最初のそのようなプロジェクトを考えると、非常に印象的でした。政府はなぜそれが非常に迅速にキャンセルされたのかを引き受け、経済を動かし、そして立ち止まって邪魔にならないようにしました。労働組合が雇用保証プログラムを推進しているプログラムWPAは市場賃金を支払ったが、南部では特に南部の黒人と白人の賃金は大きく異なり、反レイシストプログラムは単なる反人ではなく雇用保証に含まれなければならない-人種差別主義者の性別は予約なしですべての環境問題を発行しますが、浮かんでいる雇用保証プログラムのモデル、そしてもちろん雇用保証プログラムはMNTと非常に密接な関係があります。資本主義経済政府は、完全雇用に近い経済を生み出すことを選択した場合、完全雇用が何を意味するのか正確にはわからないので、仕事をしたい人は誰でも正しく仕事を得ることができると言います。s新しいWPAが必要なようなタイトルで、プレゼンテーションのディスカッションなどをいくつでも回覧した論文はいくつでもあります。誰もがよく知っているWPAについての予約を提案しますが、そのうちのいくつかは議論されていません。 jgまたはmmtの文献では、新しいWPAが必要だとは思わないので、議論を行ったときに、私の批判の多くがVeblenの批判にいくらか関連している理由がわかります。既得権益の概念だけでなく、ケインズと私について少し話さなければなりません。今、私が最初にしたいのは、ルーズベルト自身を含むルーズベルト政権の主要人物の経済的主導について非常に迅速に話し合うことです。教授の外科医は、このレックスフォード・タグウェルに感謝します。カーターグラススティーガル法1933年銀行法などのルーズベルト政権の個人の制度主義者でした。あなたが見つけるものは、ニューディール政権の主要人物のバランスが取れているという恐ろしい認識です。ルーズベルトは最初の期間にバランスの取れた予算プログラムで就任し、軍事支出を含む政府支出を興味深いことに大幅に削減しました。1937年に経済がそのように見えたとき、私たちは知っています。彼は回復しているかもしれませんが、WPAへの支出を含むスラッシュでの支出を再びバランスの取れた予算のマントラに戻しました。その結果、1938年にうつ病に戻りました。 WPAとして、彼らはこれらのプロジェクトを実際には経済秩序と1930年に支配されたリベラルなイデオロギーに敵対していると見なしました。 1920年代に始まったイタリアのプログラムを見ると、ある意味でWPAのようなものだと言うので、左と右の両方から、または社会主義的な性質の批判があったためです。あまりにもストレッチを取り除きたいのですが、いずれにせよ、行政では基本的にWPAのwpa wpa2のようなプログラムのサポートは少しありませんでしたが、今はWPAに敵対していません。すべてのプレゼンテーションを行うことができます。 WPAが達成した素晴らしいことですが、それは私の目的ではありませんJGは、WPAプログラムに基づいて、JGの雇用保証プログラムの順守に注意を払う必要があると思います。彼らが郵便局を愛している郵便局の数と、2番目の右の連邦劇場プロジェクト連邦芸術プロジェクト連邦音楽プロジェクト連邦作家賞でそれがなかった理由がわかります。郵便局や学校、サッカースタジアムを今すぐ建設するだけでなく、これらの文化プロジェクト、教育プロジェクト、成人向けリテラシープログラムなど、長期的には、建物の建設のインフラストラクチャよりも重要であると私は主張します。 -持っている-あなたはそれらが少なくとも同じくらい重要でした、そしてあなたが特に公共事業促進局の最も急進的な側面であった非常にフラナガンの下で連邦劇場プロジェクトを見るならば、あなたが劇場で提唱された資本主義への挑戦を見たWPA彼女は人種差別主義者ではなかったが、彼女はそうではなかったので、エレノア・ルーズベルトを脇に置いておくと、ニューディール政権内で唯一の反人種差別主義者プログラムに戻ってきます。WPAの主催者は大丈夫です。キングスは第二次世界大戦でドイツ軍の機械との戦いに参加していたときでさえ、1940年に組織された音楽と芸術の奨励のための評議会の議長を務めることに同意したことを思い出します。イギリスでは、彼は芸術に非常に熱心であり、WPAの前にルーズベルト政権が1933年11月に監督の下で組織されたCWA権を組織した、現代の経済的および社会的秩序の不可欠な重要な側面として大丈夫だと考えました。ハリーホプキンスの1934年4月に終了しましたが、本質的には1934年2月に終了するか、終了し始めました。ケインズが起業家に言及している経済の側面を組織化する上で政府が積極的な役割を果たした、ケインズが起業家にラベルを付けたのはこれが初めてですが、実際にはヒューバート・ヘンダーソンの言葉ですが、非常に成功していることを忘れています1934年1月中旬のピーク時に200万人の失業者を雇用した最初の月のプログラムでは、400万人が連邦政府の給与に充てられました。25万マイルの道路が建設または改善されました。今日の米国の学校の建物は、改装された遊び場の病院などを建設しました。成人教育クラスを教えるために5万人の教師が雇われました。リストは長く、それは非常に印象的な2か月の活動的存在第二に、最低賃金が指定された最低賃金で賃金が支払われました。待機賃金はスキルや地域などによって異なります。黒人と白人の労働者は同じ賃金を支払われました。 CWAはスキルのカタログを作成し、現在の仕事とスキルを一致させようとしました。問題は、CWAが実際に2か月の存在を与えられて非常に印象的であり、政府が最初に着手したプロジェクトがなぜ非常に迅速にキャンセルされたのかということです。それはうまくキャンセルされました。CWAの最初の問題は、それが緊急プログラムであったということでした。私たちが緊急の権利を持っているほとんどのニューディールプログラムの多くは、私たちが選択した場合に詳細に話し合うことができる国家資源計画委員会を引用させてください。t国家資源計画委員会の緊急性ニューディールプログラムは問題があり、雇用を安定させる一連の緊急プログラムは公共事業の建設が自滅的であり、議論された全期間を通じて雇用安定化の目的を達成する可能性があります。連邦州の地方自治体のプランナー管理者をガイドする各プログラムは、カンヌに行くと、おそらく最後のように言われました。彼女はそこで何か他の陽気な成熟したトーナメントをやっていないでしょう。 2012年の論文または彼女がケインズに持ち込んだものは何でも■その場での雇用プログラムこれはハイマンミンスキーの労働者を連れて行くのと非常に似ています。彼らは緊急プログラムではなく、一時的なプログラムではないので、もちろんjgの支持者は継続的なプログラムを望んでいますが、それを組み込むことが非常に重要です。経済全体として、ケインズの新古典主義バージョンまたはそのようなもののポンププライミングを忘れているので、とにかくそこにあります」CDAについて言えることはたくさんありますが、なぜそれがすぐにキャンセルされたのかルーズベルトプログラムルーズベルト政権は、基本的に資本主義経済または資本家の利益が正しいビジネスと矛盾する、または少なくともそうするようなプログラムを実施する意図を持っていませんでした利子は経済を動かし、それから立ち止まって、CWAのルーズベルトとホプキ​​ンスの目的であった私が邪魔にならないようにします。この国の政府の雇用では習慣にならないように注意する必要があります。私たちはこの国で恒久的な鬱病を抱えることになるでしょう、そして私たちが誰かにそれを非常に力強く言うことが非常に重要です」とにかくCWAに反対するのは興味深いことですが、失業者を雇っていたため、CWA以降、ビジネスコミュニティが反対することを期待するかもしれません。予備軍のプールは減少している多分賃金は上昇するだろう生産コストは上昇するだろうそれは理解できることである当時の主要な労働組織であったLのAFもまた、プログラムが賃金を正しく下げるだろうと思ったので反対した今、これは疑問を投げかけます、そして私は約3ヶ月前まで考えたことはありません2ヶ月前大丈夫なぜ労働組合は雇用保証プログラムを推進しないのですかなぜ過去に彼らはIIが答えを持っていないことを知っていますか'修辞的な質問などではありませんが、労働組合の問題は何であるかを解決する必要があると思います。今はどれくらいの時間がありますか。ハリー・ホプキンスを測定する最初からWPAポリシーのディレクターは民間企業と競争しないことだったので、製造業が救済に貢献したとしても、ライバルのマーチャンダイジングシステムを構築する私有財産に取り組むことも、製造業を通じて作業場を形成することもできませんでした機械を操作し、生活のために他に何もしないことに慣れている何十万人もの労働者を支配しているので、あなたはそうしません民間セ​​クターと競争したいので、競争力のないものを見つける必要があります。建物を建てたり、道路を建設したり、病院を建設したり、医療プログラムを設定したり、連邦劇場プロジェクトを設定したりします。 WPの支援の下で建てられた3,000の建造物のうち、1400は郵便局であり、残りの大部分は学校の建物である理由を尋ねられました。学校の建物が正しいことは完全に合理的ですが、郵便局が競争力のない権利である理由を尋ねます郵便局は政府のプログラムであるため、男性が正しい市場賃金に沿って預けられ、移動できる建物が必要ですWPAがプロペイ市場賃金を行ったプログラムしかし、南部市場では、特に南部の黒人と白人の賃金は大幅に異なっていました。言い換えれば、WPAの賃金政策は、労働市場内で人種差別的な関係を維持していました。 1933年の農業調整法南が分離された当時の南のAAAの農民であるため、外科医教授が実際によく知っている農業調整法。何人の人々が米国の歴史に精通しているのかを知っていますそれは法律によって法律によって分離されましたこれはジムクロウシステムですこれはその部分IDは大丈夫です南部の大農民は主に小作農と小作と小作人の大部分に依存していました特に黒人は大丈夫でしたが、AAAは南部の分離主義農業システムに触れましたか?答えは小作人ではなく、農民は一般に農業調整法から除外され、1937年の労働基準法によるかなり公正な賃金はニューディールに含まれる市民権プログラムは1つもありませんでした。言い換えれば、ここに問題があります。非常に一般的な問題になりますJadeyプログラムは、そのようなプログラムは既存の社会秩序の枠組みの中で実施されなければならないことに留意する必要があります。米国の社会秩序は依然として人種差別的な性質のものである可能性があります。 1930年代と同じくらい極端ですが、それでも人種差別主義者であり、もちろんここ数年で再び人種差別主義または反人種差別主義プログラムが、反人種差別主義の性別問題だけでなく、雇用保証プログラムに含まれなければなりません。または環境問題私はもちろんjgの遵守は環境問題を認識していると思います私は人種差別についてはあまり聞いていません私は性別の問題についてはあまり聞いていませんがあなたが何かをするつもりなら仕事を提供するだけでなく、これらの問題を含める必要があります。バンキングについて話すことができます。再び人種差別の問題に戻ることができますが、スキルを仕事に一致させようとしたCWAでの仕事の分類は行いません。 WPAでは、それは意地悪でした。これは、ミンスキーが労働者を受け入れていることと一致しています。現在必要なのは、新しいスキルを学ぶことができるとわかっている仕事で明らかに学ぶことに加えて、はるかに広範なトレーニングプログラムでしたが、トレーニングプログラムは今では私が読んだjgプログラムには常にトレーニングプログラムが含まれており、それがそれだと思います。s絶対に必要であり、強調する必要があります。使用価値交換価値大丈夫です。WPAがいわゆる商品使用価値を生み出すように設計された活動に従事できなかったことをもう一度やり直しました。交換交換に適したものは除外されました。使用価値を生み出す正しい郵便局学校の建物サッカースタジアムは、アーカンソー大学のサッカースタジアムにまだ苦しんでいました。ハリーホプキンスのWPAプロジェクトは、社会的に有用であり、国にとって重要であり、私たちの通常の範囲外であるプロジェクトでした。経済システム私は公共事業によって社会的に有用な重要な民間産業と競争することはありませんが、WPAや他のプログラムが示したものとは競争力がありません。これは第一次世界大戦の発展の結果として実際に議論されました。使用価値に基づく経済経済交換を運営するために交換を必要としないのは比較的最近の開発権であり、歴史的に重要なのは過去400年かそこらの範囲内だけです。もちろん、あなたが資本主義の枠組みの外にいて、問題があり、私が時間切れであり、誰かが望むなら、誰かがもっと多くを組み込んだこの問題に関するより大きな論文を望んでいるなら、あなたは今それを整理することができます本当の戦いを見つけたらメールを送ってください

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿