2021年1月20日水曜日

MMT&GND 2020/02/22 StephanieKelton ModernMoneyAndAGreenNewDeal

自動翻訳

MMT&GND 2020/02/22 StephanieKelton ModernMoneyAndAGreenNewDeal
https://youtu.be/pq7kLBXuM1E




GND、AOC、ビーバーの話。
戦費調達論、JGPにも言及。

I wasn't planning to introduce Stephanie this afternoon I was going to ask somebody else to do that but I'd like to begin by thanking her very much for coming along and speaking to us could you give her around [Applause] [Music] thank you how much do we love her you know who she is you don't need me to tell you who she is I can go through the various appointments I suppose I will mention one thing which is that she's the visiting harcourt professor at the University of Adelaide and what a great pleasure it is to be able to say that with Jeff who's taken the trouble to come and sit through this entire conference with us what an honor this was having I suppose there are three or four economists have been an inspiration to me down the years and Geoffrey is definitely one of them and Stephanie is definitely another one I just want to tell you one story about Stephanie this week cuz I've been following around a bit and she got here our sound seems like ages ago in some ways now and last Sunday stray off the plane I saw you're just you'll just want to sleep surely now we're off up to Cleveland we got there too late I'm afraid to cut the Koala but she got to Pat a koala those who are Facebook friends of me you will see a photograph at some stage of Stephanie Patrick or or I haven't got around to I'm not very good at photographs I'm afraid but you'll get some kind of photo there might be an odd bit of koala missing or a bit of Stephanie missing perhaps but you'll get something um yeah what did I want to talk about she's done so many things already and and I'm going to be following her around which is great pleasure I mean to get to follow somebody that you admire as much as I admire her around to meetings and to get to chat to her about a variety of things is a dream come true as far as I'm concerned I just wanted to tell you one story we had a long day the other day is I've forgotten what day of the week is it's a long time since I really had any sleep to speak of and we had a long day the other day we did all sorts of things she doing interviews for newspapers you might have seen one or two of them and radio interviews and they're like and Gabby and I were sitting in my office planning this conference and you'll have a chance to thank Gabby again at the end and and Stephanie popped her head in and said are you still working then and and I said yes she said I'm off back to the hotel now so I thought oh that's great she'll go back to the hotel and and have a bit of rest because no one can work hard for so long without resting it's just not possible in that respect from what I hear of Bernie Sanders she's a female Bernie Sanders them and they will matched to to each other um later on I find out she's walked on her way back to her hotel.
 and she's happened to bump into some of the students I'd missed out this bit we've done during the day sorry we had a conversation in front of students on The Bachelor of economics advanced degree at Adelaide uni she bumps into some of the students on the way back you must be exhausted she buys them four jugs of beer and she spends the night chatting to them it's it's that kind of that guy not accusing of loving a beer but it's that kind of economist that I'd like you to welcome and it's a great privilege a great pleasure to ask you again to welcome a dear friend as well as a mentor of mine professor stephanie kelton to talk to us after [Music] Thank You Steven thank you I'm gonna sit if that's okay just for a minute and then I'm gonna give energize I'm gonna bounce around like a kangaroo I just want to say that's a end of a three day conference as you know and you're incredible to look out and see this many people still here at the end of the third day that does not normally happen at least I'm used to attending Economics conferences and that does not happen so kudos to you for coming I am sure that the this is a reflection of how rewarding the experience has been thank you again to Steven to Gabi to Phil and all the other organizers cuz pulling off a conference like this is not an easy thing there's so much work that goes in behind the scenes and so thank you to all of you who pitched in and and did anything at all however big or small to help make this a successful event.
I thought that we would kick this off since I'm gonna talk a little bit about the green New Deal and questions kept coming up what is the green new deal what is an I kept saying well it depends who you ask right well this video I think perfectly captures the essence of the vision of the green new deal as it's been put forward by perhaps the most identifiable figure in the u.s. context and I know you've heard about her because Andres where are you Andres there he is all the way in the back Andres talked about congresswoman Alexandria Castillo Cortes can I call her AOC thank you that helps AOC put together with Naomi Klein who's also involved with this piece a beautiful artist who does incredible illustrations and Naomi Klein's partner you know Naomi's the most recent book is called on fire right so Naomi's partner wrote the script and this is a little video that asks us to imagine the world as it could be okay so I want to do this first and then jump in and I'll do the little Kelton bit that's gonna follow okay all right can we play the video ah the bullet train from New York to DC's it always brings me back to when I first started making this commute in 2019 I was a freshman in the most diverse Congress in history up to that point it was a critical time.
I'll never forget the children in our community they were so inspired to see this new class of politicians who reflected them navigating the halls of power it's often said you can't be what you can't see and for the first time they saw themselves I think there was something too similar with a Green Deal we knew that we needed to save the planet and that we had all the technology to do it but people were scared they said it was too big too fast not practical I think that's because they just couldn't picture again anyways I'm getting ahead of myself let's start with how we got here 1977 New York a senior scientist named James black made a presentation about how burning fossil fuels could eventually lead to global temperatures rising four or five degrees Fahrenheit within two years one of the world's biggest super tankers was outfitted with a state-of-the-art lab to measure co2 in the ocean gathering more data about global warming guess who was doing all of this research Exxon Mobil the oil and gas company oh yeah Exxon knew this whole time as did our politicians ten years later James Hansen NASA's top climate scientist told Congress he was 99% certain that global warming was happening and caused by humans that was 1988 the year before I was even born so did Exxon listen to the science including their own did they change business models invest in renewables no the opposite they knew and they doubled down they and others spent millions setting up the network of lobby groups and think tanks to create debt and denial about climate change it was an effort designed to attack and dispute the very kind of they themselves had been doing and it worked politicians went to bat for fossil fuels and these massive corporations kept digging and mining drilling and fracking there was no tomorrow America became the biggest producer and consumer of oil in the world fossil fuel companies made hundreds of billions while the public paid the lion's share to clean up their disasters we lost a generation of time we'll never get back entire species we'll never get back natural wonders gone forever and in 2017 Hurricane Maria destroyed the place where my family was from for Toledo it was like a climate bomb it took as many American lives as 9/11 and in the next year when I was elected to Congress the world's leading climate scientists declared another emergency they told us that we had 12 years left to cut our emissions in half or hundreds of millions of people would be more likely to face food and water shortages poverty and death 12 years to change everything how we got around we fed our songs we made her stop how we lived and worked everything the only way to do it was to transform our economy which we already knew was broken since the vast majority of wealth was going to just a small handful of people and most folks were falling further and further behind it was a true turning point.
 lots of people gave up they said we were doomed but some of us remembered as a nation we've been in peril before the Great Depression World War two we knew from our history how to pull together to overcome impossible odds and on the very least we owed it to our children to try the wave began when Democrats took back the house in 20 team and then the Senate and the White House in 2020 and launched the decade of the green New Deal a flurry of legislation that kicked off our social and ecological transformation to save the planet it was the kind of swing for the fence ambition we needed finally we were entertaining solutions on the scale of the crises we faced without leaving anyone behind that included Medicare for all the most popular social program in American history we also introduced the federal jobs guarantee a public option including dignified living wages for works funnily enough the biggest problem in those early years was a labor shortage we were building a national smart grid retrofitting every building in America putting trains like this one all across the country we needed more workers that group of kids from my neighborhood were right in the middle of it all especially this one girl Ileana her first job out of college was with AmeriCorps climate restoring wetlands and bayous in coastal Louisiana most of her friends were in her Union including some oil workers in transition they took apart old pipelines and got to work planting mangroves with the same salary and benefits of course when it came to healing the land we had huge gaps in our knowledge luckily indigenous communities offered generational expertise to help guide the way uliana got restless tried her hand as a solar plant engineer for a while but eventually made her career in raising the next generation as a part of the universal child care initiative as it turns out caring for others is valuable low-carbon work and we started paying real money to folks like teachers domestic workers and home health aides those were years of math change and not all of it was good when hurricane Sheldon hit southern Florida parts of Miami went underwater for the last time but as we battled the floods fires and droughts we knew how lucky we were to have started acting when we did and we didn't just change the infrastructure we changed how we did things we became a society that was not only modern and wealthy but dignified and humane too by committing to universal rights like health care and meaningful work for all we stopped being so scared of the future.
we stopped being scared of each other and we found our shared purpose Ilyana heard the call to and in 2028 she ran for office in the first cycle of publicly funded election campaigns and now she occupies the seat that I once held I couldn't be more proud of her a true child of the green New Deal when I think back to my first term in Congress writing that old school and track in 2019 all of this was still ahead of us and the first big step was just closing our eyes and imagining we can be whatever we have the courage to see [Music] [Applause] and that's so great it's inspiring I don't she doesn't say where she ends up after her seat in Congress is taken by the young alien but I have my own ideas absolutely terrific right and it hits on I think all the right notes so let me if we can bring up the video on the other players for their economic and environmental new book on fire the burning oh wow okay so I'm just gonna pick it a piece of that okay and I'm gonna do it in a way that connects where I think mmt is helpful in this conversation so when I spoke to you last time a couple of days ago and I said people sometimes say to me how will you know when you've won remember what I said yeah when we stop asking how will we pay are you gonna pay for it and we start asking how are you gonna resource it so I'm gonna start off is this a familiar creature over here do you have these beavers funny so how funny is that so I'm using this little guy that you don't even have but this little beaver they're all over in the US right and the guy is lucky right cuz what a beavers built they build dams say well this little beaver needs to build the dam and so the really the big problem for the beaver is I gotta find some stuff to build myself a dam and the reason he's so lucky is because he doesn't have to worry about how to pay for it he doesn't have to go to the river bank get it get it for a loan and sit down and ask for the money to finance the construction he just gets to work building the dam he fells a tree he breaks it into pieces and he built himself a safe and secure environment right that's what he gets to do so he's the architect he pulls the permits he's the engineer he's the construction worker he does it all right so that is a very good thing and what Congress what aoc says in the video is you can't be what you can't see so she knows that in order to get people behind this idea of a green new deal to have to think that it's possible have to be able to see the world as it could be in spite of all of the fear and this narrative that the other side the opposition is going to build you have to help people see clearly through the fog that there is a way to get where we are trying to go you can't be what you can't see she says imagine the future as it could be right a just future it's inclusive it's an opportunity to deal with other challenges in equality and so forth you heard it she says we have to act boldly when the video came out the scientific community the IEEE Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said 12 years right well two years have essentially passed and we at least in the US have another year before we put a new president into the White House.
 and so best-case scenario we're looking at maybe 10 years left on the clock okay so we have 10 years to change everything and not you know in a single country can't do it it has to be a global effort and when I say we have 10 years to change everything I mean including how we think about money and taxes deficits debt inflation all of that all of that has to change I believe to get where we ultimately have to go because the way that they plan to beat us is a multi-faceted right they're going to attack from all angles but one big way is on the sheer magnitude of the price tag how are you gonna pay for it right that's what they're gonna do so when she says we knew we had to save the planet and that and we had the technology to do it but people were scared they're gonna play into the fear they said it was too big and not practical they set up networks of lobbyists and think tanks to tell the public again and again this is impossible this can't happen we can't afford it they bring in the economists right to help make the case I debated this guy not too long ago at Columbia University his name is Douglas holtz-eakin he is the former director of the Congressional Budget Office the gatekeeper the scorekeeper in Washington any piece of legislation major legislation that wants to go through has to get passed CBO you better get a permission slip out of the CBO or you ain't doing nothing he was the gatekeeper okay he goes on Fox News you know it well and he's and he says it would cost 93 trillion dollars to do this green New Deal 93 trillion dollars we have economists like Larry Summers there on the bottom former Treasury secretary under Bill Clinton former economic adviser under President Barack Obama what does he say it's not a realistic calculus not realistic what does a guy in the middle say professor a former professor blogger kind of a big name sort of on the left it would spend the u.s. into oblivion well okay guys from the Heritage Institute a tie up top saying it would be fiscally catastrophic the press the press the press every time a candidate wants to do anything how are you going to pay for it how are you gonna pay for it where you gonna get this ninety three trillion so I keep saying not only can we not be what we can't see but we can't have what we can't afford so somebody better be able to come in with a compelling narrative about how to actually deal with the financing and that is where I think mmt is useful to people like aoc and others.
and we're working with folks on the hill to try to help shift that narrative away from the focus on the budget outcomes in the financing to what really matters because this is from the Twitter feed of the Republican Party this is these are the Republicans saying the greenie deal is unaffordable right just telling people you can't afford it this is sent US senator from the state of Iowa a Republican at ninety three trillion the green New Deal would cost more than the entire recorded spending of the United States that's the Constitution went into effect you see the public can be told imagine the scale you can't do this are you kidding so here is where I say mmm tea is helpful because we can deal with the pay-for question quite easily we understand the mechanics of government finance how the budget works how financing works the purpose of taxes borrowing the debt we can we can put these things in a different framework and make them less scary okay better understood governments don't budget like households to pay for this stuff Congress just has to pass the legislation and the deal is done the Fed will clear every payment that is authorized by Congress the central bank here will clear any payment authorized by your government by Parliament what matters isn't the absolute price tag the size of the price tag but the economy's capacity to safely absorb any new spending that has been authorized so when she says we've been here before and she harkens back to the New Deal or World War two that's exactly what we're talking about we have been here before we've managed resources and mobile mass mobilization and we talked about this a little bit in the qat that I did on the first day of this conference and so some of this is repetition this is what I said back in 2018 this was me saying the right way to budget for a green new deal is the way Keynes approached the question in his how to pay for the war national resource planning it wasn't about where to get the money it was about how to manage the transition then to a war economy now to a clean sustainable economy okay and so I put a little picture up there this is what Keynes understood right war planning was about ensuring sufficient access to Britain's real resources not its financial resources not where to get the money to pay for the war but how to manage the inflation risk as all that money got spent right it was about transforming the economy away from one oriented around producing for consumers toward one oriented around producing for the war effort and like aoc.
 Keynes cared about doing it in a just and fair way he actually was concerned about that I mentioned this last time that the US was paying attention because a question came up about whether there you could you know take what Keynes did and apply it in other countries in other context and I said sure the US Treasury was following very carefully and there were internal memos this is one of those internal memos comes from the United States Treasury you can see a review of the book how to pay for the war by John Maynard Keynes the Keynes plan of war finance has attracted widespread attention throughout England and would probably be strongly urged upon the US Treasury if the US should become involved in the war the outstanding merits claimed by mr. Cain's for her his plan are 1 it would avoid inflation right not it would find all the money to pay would avoid inflation and 2 it would place the war bonds in the hands of the people who were making the greatest sacrifice in other words not the financier not the 1% right in the hands of the people who are making the greatest sacrifice by discouraging consumption in the present and asking people to sacrifice and delay consumption until after the war they could hold war bonds that would pay interest allowing them to have greater income with which to consume when the war was over so that's how Keynes was thinking about this since then two of my colleagues levy Institute scholars and mm tea economists went on to write exactly the paper how to pay for the green New Deal taking Keynes's model and applying it to the present day so this is a nice big beefy piece that's written by Ava and Randy laying out the question the answers to the questions you know how should we go about thinking of this and so I mentioned this last time that the US government went from spending you know like 12% of total GDP to you know 45 50 percent in a very short period of time ramped up massive increase in government spending the UK inflation UK obviously involved before the u.s. got into the warm you can see inflation went up you got double-digit inflation it isn't as if you kept inflation at 2% but it was managed and it wasn't persistent year after year you got a couple of years of very high inflation and then it begins to come down and as Professor Harcourt brought up in the Q&A period there were a wage and price controls there people did things right economists advised and policymakers understood that there were other tools available to manage inflationary pressures and so the u.s. did these things and we got through this right we won and we didn't let inflation get out of control and real resources were mobilized.
and we can do this again we've been here as she says so how would we do this today figure out what the resources are that you need for this green new deal how ambitious do you want to be on what timescale what resources are going to be necessary to pull this thing off what do you currently have available to you and where do you get the rest that's it right I mean that is those are the big three questions so assessing resource needs well it depends what you're calling a green new deal and there are a lot of different plans some more ambitious than others might a lot of different people have said we could have a green new deal for about two-and-a-half percent of GDP others say no it should be bigger you know upwards of five or more percent of GDP figure out how big do you want to go what do you need and then where you're gonna find the resources how do you figure out how much slack there is in the economy how much extra capacity is available you look at stuff like this right you find measures of slack capacity utilization we used to run oh sorry I'm going backwards this is the unemployment rate okay so that's an indication of slack official measures of unemployment broader measures for you six you know how many people are available to help us do this how much slack is there in industry right capacity utilization rates there was a time when we used to run the economy capacity of factories and so forth close to 90% we don't do that anymore now we're down around 75% normally so there he is additional capacity unused in factories that means if you want to you know place an order for Caterpillar for a bunch of bulldozers and cranes and you want to get to work building high-speed rail or something it's probably some good capacity available right to ramp up production and produce more of the things we need to build clean modes of transportation how can you free up capacity well you heard her say medicare-for-all in our case we don't have it right and so we have a system that is built largely around private health insurance and it's about 18 percent of u.s. GDP we're going to 20 percent here in the next couple of years that's the best guess one in every five dollars spent in the US economy spent on health care right that's a lot of real resources think about the private health insurance industry right the giant shiny buildings that you drive by with all the people inside the bill collectors the people who process paperwork who tell you what's covered and what's not covered and why they're not going to you know let you approve this test and that test all those people go away virtually right that's huge you take 18% 20% of the US economy and shrink it down even if you just go to 15% right that's nothing like what the rest of the world does but even if you just shave off a few percentage points you're freeing up enormous real resources people that can be used to produce other things right they can be part of the green new deal so you can get resources that way wall street senator sanders has for many years talked about shrinking the size of Wall Street the financial industry again penis just think of them you know who they are Goldman Sachs City Morgan right you had a lot of people you downsize Wall Street you free up a lot of real resources that can be mobilized for other uses the military-industrial complex people say we can cut defense in order to pay for the green New Deal well it's not that you need the money out of the budget it's that you need the real capacity okay so there's a lot to be had there criminal justice reform we've got 2.1 million people locked up behind bars in the u.s. senator Sanders says he would like to see that number reduced by half by the end of his first term that gives you a million people to do stuff right so this is what I'm talking about we talk about real resources and this is a report that I co-authored with Randy and pub we know other mmt economists got full Weiler and Flavio Dantas we all did this together this is our sort of path to full employment where we talk about the role of a job guarantee in the broader economy not in the context of a green new deal but just what kinds of green jobs caring for community caring for the planet caring for people what types of jobs could be performed as part of just contributing to the creation of a cleaner more sustainable future so if you're interested you can take a look at that bottom line is that you have to manage inflation risk it's not about finding dollars to pay for dollar spending right it's about saying if I do this additional spending in an economy that is depressed like the sink on the Left then I've got a lot of room to spend safely but as my economy gets closer and closer to full employment any additional spending not just government spending carries a heightened inflation risk and at some point there are real capacity constraints so it's just about figuring out like they did in the 40s and the 50s how to manage the real resource use through the transition okay so in mmt we reject the pay-go idea that for every dollar you want to put in you have to rip a dollar out of the economy fully offset all new spend that's not a good way to approach the green new jail or any other government program we think of taxes not as financial pay-fors but as inflation offsets my purpose of raising the taxes to remove spending power from someone why because you don't want them layering on their own demand on top of the demand that you're placing on real resources about mitigating inflation risk choosing the offsets carefully matters you pick the wrong offsets the wrong tax you're gonna do little to offset inflationary pressure even though maybe it won't add to the deficit so what we need is more research-oriented at answering this question right how much capacity is there and there are some Italian economists who published a paper through inet that I think is did very good work.
 three economists trying to get a sense of the output gap you know how much slack is there really better measures because it's not enough to rely on the unemployment rate as a guide as we've seen right we can keep pushing the unemployment rate down without triggering inflation so we need better guideposts better what do you call it dashboard indicators right to help set off signs that inflationary pressures might be building in parts of the economy so one of the studies that I like very much that was done not too long ago I think I mentioned says that in the US economy today there's between 500 and 600 billion dollars of non-inflationary fiscal space right so that the US government could increase the fiscal deficit by something like five or six hundred billion before offsets are needed without inflationary pressure that's a lot of space if you can get a half a trillion of a green New Deal annually out of the economy before you have to start increasing taxes that's a lot of space but we need more work like that okay so if there's this paper said 530 if there's 530 billion available and in Randy's paper he says you free up another 200 billion I'm moving to medicare-for-all freeze up another 200 billion in fiscal space and you end fossil fuel subsidies that frees up another six hundred and fifty billion well I just found one point three eight trillion dollars and I'm just warming up you see so the point is that we can do this right we just have to ask the right questions and in asking the right questions I think it will guide us in the right direction in terms of how to carry this stuff out so I'm probably out of time i'm certainly out of energy Oh all right I want to say that sometimes people say well we have to invent new banks we need an investment bank we need some kind of a new public investment bank to finance this endeavor no you don't you have a public bank it's called the Fed in our case it's called the Australian central banking here we have all the we have the bank we need write the bank will clear the payments that have been authorized you don't need to reinvent the wheel in order to do stuff the shortest distance between two points if you're on a plane is a straight line okay and we ought to take the straight line route because the time clock is ticking we have ten years let's not piddle around innovate trying to have fights about creating new banks and new ways to finance this we have everything we need we need legislation and then the central bank will clear the payments okay that's what we need last thing.
and that I'm all done is this how did this come up earlier today this piece in The Guardian did anybody see it did you talk about it oh well this was I mean correct me if I'm wrong but this was encouraging from my vantage point there was no you'll correct me if I'm wrong believe it go ahead I read it as encouraging because there's no conversation in here about how much it's going to cost no conversation about the impact on the deficit or the need to keep budgets in balance through this process it is simply a statement from a former prime minister focused on the urgent need to address the problem the scale that it merits and plan plan plan the word planning I've highlighted it right everywhere we need a plan we need to plan and resources we've been seeing he talks about the real resources the firefighters that are needed the real resources and planning planning plan because if it's not well planned then you're gonna get potentially consequences you don't want mostly inflationary right there gonna be people are not going to have the jobs through the transition you're gonna have an inflation problem in all the rest so anyway I took that as a good sign thank you [Music] [Applause] do you want me to stay [Applause] all right please sit down Stephanie okay well now is your chance to ask a few questions to stephanie kelton and I'll just give this mic okay and I think Jeffrey must have the first question yes thank you very much again for a very clear and inspiring talk but I just add one point which goes back to the 1940s when FC doma pointed out to income ratio Welch expand it can approach a liveable with limit and you can have a deficit every year whereas you couldn't do that if you fall for the fallacy of using a static economy economy that doesn't change as your basic model and I have always thought that that was such a sensible proposition and it's very much to what modern monetary theory in one post Keynesian theory has to say thanks Jeff well I'm gonna address some of that in the Harcourt lecture but it's a III know the model and I take your point okay um now is there any woman who wants to ask the next question no I'll tell you what in that case yeah come on ladies and then the one after that is Alex who is Gabby's partner and I think since Gabby doesn't have a question in place of Gabby Alex can ask the next one oh hi Stephanie hi Stephanie okay you just said we can like in America you plan to free up a lot of private resources to for to create room for MA for more government spending do you say the like like there must be a lot of reluctance for private sector to do that and should we trust the government to give them that much ability to spend our behalf well look you're going to have to rely on organized planning and I don't think that it's going to be just government public officials who are involved in these conversations it wasn't cans you're gonna have vested increase you have labor at the table and certainly hope right you're gonna have public officials you're gonna have private industry you're gonna but but in terms of the example I use with medicare-for-all they don't want to volunteer to free up resources to help us transition to a green new deal everything the vested interests are going to be just that vested in their interests but we've got to get there right you're gonna free up a lot just in the transition away from coal okay next Alex and next woman third from there hi okay so I've been sitting here trying to do the maths in my head because people will kick them back to 93 Treveon it's the massive number those of us in this room know it's not real money but in a sense but it still represents someone's estimate of what sort of resources need to go into this so hypothetically if we spend harvest on raw materials and tools happy to pay people's wages that's ten years pay for 50 million Americans I'm just trying to imagine what it looks like if one is six Americans stop whatever they're doing right now and get to work on the grid New Deal are you really that scared is it this big no it's not that big that's the number that was conjured up by a right-wing opponent to provide the maximum impact ninety-three trillion senator Sanders I mentioned the other day has by far and away the most ambitious green New Deal proposal out there it is transformative it includes a medicare-for-all it includes a job guarantee it's all of it and it's sixteen point three trillion dollars so we're not talking about that that was just pulled out of you nowhere and the development of a thank you thank you you're great really great Michael Hudson says that 30 to 40 percent of our resources work and emissions by related to paying interest which is embedded and everything we do how are we going to control the SEC Goldman Sachs's and the Morgan Stanley's in the cities I thought Corbin had some good plans what sound has got to say because I just think it's an enormous wiggle room apart from the 30 40 percent that the private banks take we've also got rentier capitalism and war and waste I mean really it's just masses of room for improvement or less work or less resource use I think it's very positive if we can get a good government yeah so I like Michael Hudson and to that point you know senator Sanders has a plan for that too and it's called postal banking so you can have a public option in the loan industry in the banking industry and you can do that and deal in in important ways with this question of brontë a extracting interest you can also address the public debt piece of that because in the MMT framework it's got full Weiler and Bill Mitchell and I and others have shown that there's a way to accomplish the financing without the issuance of public debt in other words the bond sale is an ex post optional piece of this thing so to the extent that you're trying to manage real resources maybe you don't want to layer on an additional payment in the form of interest to bondholders that then allows someone to tap additional real resources at a time when you're trying to curtail the use of real resources and mobilize and manage inflation maybe you say dispensing with bond sales is part of the plan to manage inflation risk going forward Thanks I'm Ken Kesey changies so yeah sorry you're so far away I can barely recognize you so Ken geez and then if there is a woman question will one question and then if we can get the microphone to the gentleman rider the back in the corner he said his hand up for ages so Gentiles first hi Stephanie I just want to ask you a question about the job guarantee so how is it different from a job in the regular public service or private sector and AMT refers to it as a macroeconomic stabilizer how does it act as a inflation anchor why isn't it inflationary okay so making sure that I've got all the pieces of the question how is the job guarantee first you said different from a private sector job Oh from other public sector work well so I'm a public sector worker but I'm not in the job guarantee and if we introduced a federal job guarantee I would remain a public sector worker who's not in the job guarantee program but there would be some people who enter the job guarantee program maybe they came out of public sector employment maybe they were working for local government the state of Kansas and the governor came along and slashed taxes decimated the budget by the way I lived in Kansas and this happened and I got laid off right so I'm no longer a public sector employee but I could transition into public service employment in a federal job guarantee program maybe I lose a job in the private sector I'm a retail worker and my hours get cut and cut and then pretty soon I don't have any hours and I'm laid off and I transition into that so you're gonna have a mix of public sector workers displaced public sector workers displaced private sector workers both of whom could end up temporarily in the public service program what was the other part of the question oh why is it a better price anchor well I think I I sorta did this maybe the other day but I maybe I didn't do a very good job because right now it's a it's an automatic stabilizer buffers the downturn so if you transition in instead of becoming unemployed.
when the economy turns down you remain in through the business cycle which means you remain employable right so as the economy begins to pick up again and businesses start hiring they're more comfortable reaching into the buffer stock of employed workers and hiring out of that pool at a small premium to get a worker out of that pool as opposed to pilfering workers from their competitor because they don't want to hire people who've been out of work for a long time and they bid up wages more aggressively to get workers ok Jane I it's along the same lines as jenkees questions so I am just wanted to under Steve you could explain how a tude wage system in a job guarantee program of February funded job guarantee program doesn't serve the it's priced ability function and and if that was to be adopted how it winds sort of undermine any spending that we would be needing to do in terms of tackling climate change so there's been some discussion around well I wasn't here for that no no just so yeah I'm I'm a little reluctant to try to weigh in too heavily on that because first I wasn't there second my own research hasn't looked at that ok ok all right ok there gentleman in the back thank you yeah hello Stephanie welcome to Australia thank you my name is Andrew I wanted to just follow up on this question of the availability of real resources going beyond the question of money and if we had a need for a big program of for example building renewable renewable energy in ten years would it be a natural part of that program to simply build the productive resources that we needed as part of the program build the factories we needed it whatever if we don't have it yes sure yes yeah simple crystal yes so figure out the resources you need figure out the resources you have and then figure out we're gonna get the rest and in part three investing in creating those resources that that's right now I'm anticipating people saying well we don't actually have enough factories to do that but you naturally build them before you before you started trying to punch out a whole lot of other stuff yes yeah okay yeah okay I think we're gonna have just a couple more questions because stephanie has to working very hard and I think we've worked more than hard enough so this gentleman here has said again he's had his hand up iFit I'm sorry Paul Paul is doing his marathon run a bit now he's coming into the final straight Paul is approaching and yes and then we'll look for a woman to have the final question well well no Paul and thank you Stephanie is that really enjoyable listening to you this afternoon end on Friday you said that in a particularly useful in absolutely question is regarding resources or paying for as they will say easily now you're gonna have a good day IOC is gonna have a lot of opposition attacks and there's gonna be a lot of fear tactics use and fear tactics work when people aren't educated in the details so first of all do you agree with that and secondly if you do how will you educate the people during a scare campaign and with alarmist media headlines well do I agree I'm sure I agree on at least some level with that statement how much detail people require I mean sort of look at the recent election in the UK and I kind of feel like maybe the Labour Party went too far trying to give too many details and it didn't work so but I don't think you can go the other extreme and just say just trust us either no details somewhere in the middle of all of that is probably the right balance I wouldn't know where to draw the line but it's information overload too much detail the more deal what I've learned in getting involved with people who are running for president and so forth is that the more tail you provide the more details there are to pick apart sometimes less is more you roll out a very detailed pay for thing and I'm going to do this then what happens it's not going to raise the revenue they say it's gonna raise they won't do this there's and they just everyone focuses on the details and then we forget to argue the morale the right we forget the message what is the policy really about so the fight gets corrupted so yes you have to address they're going to go on television and they're gonna say have to give up your hamburger you have to give up your straw you have to give up your weekend right all of those things then you gotta have a response to that or they will win with that negative messaging so I don't know we're in the middle the right answer lies but I think you can get in trouble with too many details right one that woman you were standing right next to a woman at the factory sorry I sort of pointed I'm sorry then come and ask Stephanie a question before Stephanie it was mentioned in Phil's talk yesterday about how much of our informal economy is taken up by those household carer tasks such as parenting caring for disabled people etc does your model of the green you deal and the job guarantee look at those traditionally women's roles of childcare caring for family members disabled people etc does that fit into job guarantee positions possibly and as a way to balance agenda pay up as I have always understood the job guarantee through the work of people like Pavlina Chernova through Flavio Dante's through Randy Wray  the American contingent I'll confine my remarks who have been working on job guarantee for some 20 years or more that has always been a piece of it because Pavlina has said we need to build a CARICOM and that the work itself should be oriented broadly around the creation and fostering of a care economy it means caring for people caring for the planet caring for communities caring for others right I can hire Steven to go sit in the elder care facility and hold my mother's hand she's not an elder care but if she were and I lived very far away and you know I either have to give up my job and move from New York to California to be with her and make those sacrifices or I can live in a society where I know that someone is gonna be there every day to read her story play game of checkers with her hold her hand talk to her and I feel that she's not isolated and alone and that she's well cared for so if she lives in my hometown and I want to be there and take care of her during those months or years instead of paying a stranger to do that you could compensate me as I step out of the labor force and do homecare work and I'm comfortable with that perfect that sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
okay now I hope you're gonna let me after this thank some other people too but I just wanted to say I was walking over to pick Stephanie up but just now and I was thinking about you lot back here and how much you wanted to her to speak to you but I was very reluctant to ask her to come over and do so um and she insisted on coming and speaking to you not disappointing you the other thing I want to say you know I'm I'm still going to Bikram yoga I'm trying to live long enough to see somebody like Bernie Sanders elected to a position of power in the US something like a green new deal you can call it a green transition if you like the rose by any other name as far as I'm concerned in both the US and Australia and internationally and I also you know I want to live long enough to see Treasury Secretary Stephanie Kelton [Music] all right so thank you my new thing is US ambassador to Austria.
[Applause] [Music] [Applause] [Music] 英語 (自動生成)


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿