2021年1月18日月曜日

2020/06/17 The Deficit Myth | Stephanie Kelton

2020/06/17 The Deficit Myth | Stephanie Kelton
https://youtu.be/Vt-MJ8tJnXM


文字起こし today everyone I'm Eponine Bennett deputy director at the Australia Institute and welcome to our economics of a pandemic webinar series we've got started just a little bit early this morning one minute to go I think until we officially kick off just to let you all in the door so you can see how we're going and I can see our attendees climbing above 300 and climbing fast so we've got about 1500 people registered this morning to come along so thank you for joining us I'd like to start by acknowledging the traditional owners of the land on which I live and work the Australia Institute is based in Canberra and this is not a world country and I acknowledge that sovereignty was never seated and pay my respects to elder's past and present and also just remind us all that we should be doing what we can to support the calls for a voice to Parliament for treaty and agreement making process and for truth-telling about Australia's past and for those of you unfamiliar with the Australia Institute where one of the country's most leading and influential think tanks we do a lot around economics but also many other issues and we want to thank you all for coming along to these webinars we've had about 20,000 more than 20,000 people register since we began them at the start of the pandemic so thank you very much where I need to do these webinars at least once weekly but the days and times do vary so make sure that you're subscribed at our website ta org au so you don't miss out and just a few tips before we get started to help today's webinar run smoothly if you hover over the bottom of your zoom screen you should be able to see a Q and a function where you can ask questions of our panelists and you can also upload questions and make comments on other people's questions we will take questions in the second half and if you want to ask yours live to the panel you can use the raise your hand function and I'll call on e in the second half please keep things civil in the chat or we've got some staff members who will remove you and just a reminder that this discussion is being recorded and will be posted on our website and emailed to everyone who rare interested after the discussion and will also stick it on our podcast follow the money so the pandemic necessarily shut down whole sections of the Australian economy and economies around the world to protect public health necessarily so and with the cooperation and support of the Australian public this country has successfully flattened the curve and now we're opening up our economy and the government is turning its mind to how we get out of the recession well already prime minister Scott Morrison has talked about being quite extremely cautious about expenditure because we're expecting record deficits in the coming years but anyone familiar with Australian political debates over the past decades will know well we can always seem to afford tax cuts and defense spending somehow we can never afford to raise new start or to build social housing because quote we have to live within our means and to get back to a budget surplus as soon as possible it's rhetoric that the economists at the Australian Institute of long fought against and that's why we're delighted today to be speaking to Professor stephanie kelton about her new book the deficit myth modern monetary theory and how to build a better economy and she's in conversation with our chief economist at the Australia Institute and familiar to many of you Richard Denis stephanie kelton is a professor of economics and public policy at Stony Brook University she's a leading expert on modern monetary theory and she served as chief economist on the US Senate Budget Committee for the Democratic staff in 2015 as well as being a senior economic adviser to Bernie Sanders 2016 and 2020 presidential campaigns and she was recently appointed as one of eight members advising the Biden Sanders unity task force Stephanie's book the deficit myth is available in eBook format on Google Books Kindle and that book topia and on the google play app and there's some hard copies available already in demyx in Sydney and Adelaide but it will be shipping to all good book shops from the 14th of July if you would like be so good I Stephanie welcome and thank you so much for joining us today thank you both for having me it's a real pleasure to be with you so I just wanted to first of all congratulate you on the book and asked to kick us off why you thought it was time to write this book and to briefly explain for perhaps people who are aware what exactly what monetary here he is well yeah sure I mean this book has been sort of gestating in me for a very long time there is a friend of mine she actually was a presidential candidate here in the US this election cycle her name's Marianne Williamson and we had a couple of conversations and she's a very successful author and when I started talking with her about this book project and I was sort of underway at the time I remember she said to me you have to be pregnant with a book and I thought well okay I've been pregnant a really long time so you know I had to essentially figure out who I wanted to write this book for and that was a big motivation for me that I wanted a book that would be accessible to anyone that somebody didn't have to have any prior training and economics in fact it's probably helpful if you don't because there's less that you have to undo when you read the book but I really wanted something that would empower people that would allow someone to pick up this book and to get all the way through it disabused of many of the notions that we pick up along the way when we listen to our politicians talk about really important issues around public policy and especially government finance so the ways in which we are all bombarded on a near-daily basis with talk of the need to put the fiscal house in order and bring budgets into balance and the virtues of budget surpluses and the dangers of budget deficits and the national debt and you know you know as well as I do how much of this goes on and you know in my view and what MMT Economist's have working on for a long time is to help people get a clearer understanding and to sort of you know I called it the deficit myth I wish that there were just that there was just one myth that we could dispense with it and then we would be free unfortunately it's that web of entangled myths that you have to very deliberately take somebody through the thinking and the workings of the monetary system and you know how should we think about money and taxes and the deficit in the debt and once you get a better handle on these things I think the anxiety level can be reduced and so I really do look at this book as something that not just empowers people by leveling the playing field so everybody has the right I think understanding but that we can all breathe a little easier when you know we pick up the newspaper and the headline is screaming about record deficits or the the national debt or something and we can just kind of say oh I understand that in a different context so I'm not going to feel anxiety and stress about that and I actually can demand more of my politicians I can demand better public policy because I'm not going to fall for the excuse that the reason that we can't as you said top up existing programs provide more generous benefits where there always seems to be money for tax cuts and defense as you said the excuse were given is we can't do this for other government for other societal needs for the economy and so forth because we've run out of money somehow or the deficit is the reason we can't so that's the kind of short ish answer to your question about why I needed to write this book and for I guess people who perhaps haven't read the book yet or aren't familiar with modern monetary theory I was struck by your description to begin with of it as an explanation of how the economy actually works in reality well that's I think that's the goal right I mean I teach economics and I've been teaching economics for 20 years from the principal's level all the way up through the PhD macro Theory courses I have been teaching this stuff and you know if I were using textbooks that are the most widely adopted within the economics profession I would be frankly embarrassed to stand up and and present that material to my students a lot of it anyway and so yeah mmt is trying to you know have an honest reckoning with how the economy works and how the monetary system works and how government finance and budgets work and we want to paint a clear and accurate picture rather than abstracting away from things and pretending things you know work one way when we know full well that there are problems with much of the conventional thinking so we think we owe it I think I owe it to my students and I feel like if I'm going to communicate with the public about economics then I owe it to them to try to get things right and to present an honest account of how things work I'm Richard you've also taught economics over many years I'm sure a lot of those myths will be familiar to you as well how does it apply in the Australian context you know location and addition pretty much every country yeah similar there's definitely a torn economics for 20 years we all get asked the same questions all the time and modern monetary theory I think actually helps to answer simple questions quite nicely but you know for me the islands like to put things back on to the students or to the journalists or the politicians and you know the classic question that people struggle with which be interested in Stephanie's thoughts on because I think monetary theory copes with this a bit better than average but in Australia we we've been told for decades that the objective public policy is to not just balance government spending and government revenue the objective the stated goal of the government's policy is to is to have a budget surplus on average every year over the course of the business cycle the government wants to run a budget surplus now of course if we do that what it means is the government is promising to collect more in tax then it's promising to spend on health education and services so it always confuses me that conservative governments in particular make these commitments in Australia I commit to collecting more from you in tax do you come across this bizarre contradiction that the Conservatives on the one means they don't want a small government but in Australia they literally promise they can meet the taxing more than they spend absolutely I mean we haven't had a government in recent years commit to delivering a budget surplus but the last time we had federal budget surpluses in this country was when Bill Clinton was president and the federal government's budget was in surplus for four consecutive years 1998 through 2001 so what you do here in the u.s. context is our Democrats hearkening back to the Clinton years and saying man we were so good we are the true party of fiscal responsibility because the last time the government the government's budget was put right was when we were in charge you see and so if you will put us back in control of the House and Senate give us the White House we know best how to manage the nation's finances because we were the last party to deliver not just a balanced budget but budget surpluses so this Warren is sort of a badge of honor that we achieved that I say achieved in quotation marks that that the budget went into surplus in those years but you know so much here people promising to deliver a surplus again but you do hear that sort of longing sentiment for the good old times when we were in charge and the budget was where it ought ought to be you know that sort of thing so why do you think that is like why so you write it in the book about the need to be fiscally responsible but in Australia and in the u.s. conservative politicians typically write a much larger budget deficits.
and when it comes to tax cuts and of course you know if a tax cut causes a budget deficit the Soviet but they're spending more on health or education or welfare causes a budget deficit is fiscally reckless and irresponsible how how the Conservatives in a way the rules it's an excellent question in part I think it's because in the u.s. context Democrats don't try to get away with it they hold themselves to a different and they think higher standard do they say when we when we approach the budgeting process we pay for our priorities we pay for everything and what that means in practice very often is that they don't get anything done that they can't pass their legislation because they insist upon picking two fights right they have to if they want to do put more funding in education or healthcare or whatever it is they pair that spending proposal with a proposal to increase tax on someone so that it is deficit neutral so that it doesn't add to the deficit so they say look we'll well do make public colleges and universities tuition-free and we'll pay for it with this is one example of a candidate doing this a tax on so-called Wall Street speculation a financial transactions tax and that will generate enough revenue to fully cover the cost of doing this so not only do you have to persuade your colleagues in the house and in the Senate to vote for your spending priority you also have to get them to vote for the tax increase so that it doesn't add to the deficit therein lies the problem you got an awful lot of Democrats who have been reluctant to increase taxes and so we get nothing whereas Republicans as you point out with conservatives there are more than happy to just pick one fight I just have one battle go out and collect the votes for the tax cuts and be done with it and allow the deficit to increase but at least you've accomplished your agenda you've got your tax cuts Democrats don't want to play like that yeah it sounds very familiar in Australia I thought that the right-wing ratchet when times are good cut taxes for your friends when times are bad cut spending on your enemies and you know from the conservative side of politics in Australia works very well whenever the economy's growing and the budget deficit is shrinking or we get a surplus they rush out and commit to permanent cuts in revenue last you know often they come in for years but last for decades but the minute the economy slows down the minute the deficit starts to rise they say oh my god there's a deficit I have no choice but to cut spending on hills education etc I think it's one of the most powerful parts is talking about this idea that we have no choice obviously you write about the fact that when we understand that deficits the deficits aren't the problem deficits are a tool that we can use we can afford to spend money on you know whatever we want to talk about that because I think that's one of the most exciting that one of the most confusing things to people about what monetary theory the idea that we can afford to do anything but you know there are opportunity costs a lot of people get a bit scared hearing someone say yeah sure so um so let's take just the recent example right because the Republicans did pass very big tax cuts in the u.s. at the end of 2017 they rammed through these very big tax cuts tax cuts for corporations and then on the personal individual site large tax cuts there as well and you know a lot of people including many economists too advised previous Democratic administrations said that if the republicans are successful in passing these tax cuts it's going to so increase the deficit and so add to the national debt that no future Congress will have any fiscal capacity they won't be able to use you know the budget to do anything all of that is is done and you know two years later here we are three years later whatever it is and the corona virus pandemic starts and what do we see we see Congress immediately spring into action here we've had four major pieces of legislation passed the biggest is was 2.2 trillion dollars right nobody paused for a moment to argue or fight about pay-fors or you know where to find the money or the impact on the deficit they simply kick these bills through passed them they went to the President's desk and off we go so what's happened is that Democrats especially have seen now oh it is quite easy when we prioritize something we can just move a bill and we don't have to offset all of the spending you know we don't have to play in our terminology a pay go game this framework where you can't add to the deficit so you know I'm fortunate in that I get to interact with members of the House and the Senate and I what I'm hearing is encouraging in the sense that I think you know you said a few moments ago that Republicans have this playbook and every single time they run the same play when they get an opportunity they cut taxes massively and then when the other party is in and the deficit begins to increase they start cutting spending say we have to cut spending right so the Democrats in the US I think are increasingly coming to the conclusion that they have been playing Charlie Brown to Lucy in the football for a long time and they don't like it and they see the other guys having a lot of fun when they have the power you know in the House and the Senate and they hold the White House they get to pass their agenda and Democrats are sitting back now and saying you know when it's our turn we want to do that we want to be able to pass ledge solution and sometimes use that fiscal space that's available to us where we don't have to pick the second fight we don't necessarily have to have the tax increase to get what we're after so did that Richard did I get your question we don't talk much about theory at the Australia Institute doesn't mean we're not informed you know we we put ideas out there for people to engage can be turned into legislation a lot of ours that in recent years a lot of our effort has been put into stopping cuts in company taxes stopping cuts to high-income earners closing loopholes some people from a modern monetary theory perspective seem to suggest that stopping tax cuts for wealthy people is a waste of time you know don't you understand Richard we don't need the money you know don't you understand no not at all not at all I agree with you completely that is and absolutely not just worthwhile but I think vital effort and you know I'm someone who believes that the levels of income and wealth inequality that exists today are not just corrosive to or disruptive and bad for the way our economy functions but they are a real clear and present danger to our democracy they're corrosive to the functioning of our democracy these deep concentrations of wealth result in extreme power in the political over the political process so I think we absolutely have to rebalance the distribution of income and wealth a progressive income tax system progressive tax policies are a good thing to pursue in and of themselves where I think the MMT economists and probably maybe some of these followers that you're hearing from where we get frustrated is with this often with this insistence that we can't move forward with the left foot the spending unless the right foot moves in tandem that we can bring the tax piece along with every increase dollar in proposed new spending because what that does is it holds the progressive agenda hostage says unless and until we get the votes for the closing of the tax loopholes unless and until we can raise marginal tax rates unless and until we can institute a well tax we can't have these other things so we let kids go hungry and infrastructure crumble and and we sacrifice you know on those priorities because we're afraid to move forward until we get the paid for means and often can can accomplish your goals without that you can still fight that fight but you don't have to win that fight in order to achieve other objectives yeah well I'm gonna show you here at the Australian Institute we're such fans of my colleague Dave Richardson we just put this paper out today it's called it won't hurt us and it's it's making exactly the point you've just made then that especially with unemployment rising in Australia especially the fact Australia has some of the lowest levels of public debt in the world some of the lowest levels public download history here we are in the middle of the crisis with not only rising unemployment but but obvious public need for a wide range of services it's so obvious that we we have unemployed resources that can be employed pursuing important tasks the only thing holding us back from matters is fear the dead so yet can you tell us from an immensely point of view you know what is that and why shouldn't we be afraid of publicly sure so you know in the book I a whole chapter on this and I actually called the chapter the national debt and then in parentheses I said that isn't you know the national debt that it because I really think that so much of what's wrong with the public discourse is the the words we've chosen to use to describe things you know you said earlier when the government runs a surplus why would you go out and tell the population my goal is to reduce your financial well-being right to diminish the quantity of dollars in your hands who would do that but the word surplus sounds good it sounds like they're doing the right thing and the word deficit sounds like you know you don't want to root for your favorite sporting team and turn on the TV and hear that you know your team is is trailing by seven points and unless they overcome this deficit they're going to lose the game you know that the deficit is is something bad you know and so but we use that word and with the national debt we call it the debt and immediately we personalize it we say well I understand that debt is when you borrow and you have to pay it back and I know people who take on too much debt and then they can't pay it back and then their credit scores go down and then they miss payments and then the payments get bigger right better penalties and maybe they filed for bankruptcy we've all seen it happen to businesses and so forth so we think of debt as just inherently something dangerous and you know something that ought to be avoided but mmtv thinks about this differently so what we say is let's think about what the deficit is and then let's think about what the debt is so the government is is running a fiscal deficit deficit is just the difference between two numbers right and as you've already said Richard it's the differences between the number of dollars they spend into the economy and the number of dollars they subtract away by taxing them from us so the government spends more dollars into the economy than they subtract away through taxation we label it a deficit but what we forget is that on the other side of their deficit lies somebody else's financial surplus they spend a hundred in and only subtract ninety away through taxation somebody gets 10 so now the government's deficit has supplied $10 to some part of the economy someone has those $10 now the debt comes into play because the government chooses and that word is really important the government chooses to coordinate its deficit spending it the running of a fiscal deficit with bond sales so when the government budget goes into deficit the government matches it up by selling government bonds so in my example the government deficit was 10 so now the government holds up bonds says I have 10 bonds who wants to buy them the money to buy the bonds the dollars to buy the bonds was supplied by the deficit spending itself government put the ten in and now what it does I mean I'll say it like this some people may not like it but it's basically allowing people to trade those dollars up into a higher form interest-bearing now you have interest-bearing dollars that's government those are government bonds but we call it debt and it's really nothing more than part of the net money supply right it's an interest-bearing form of Australian currency if you like it's and and it's already been paid for I mean the the bonds themselves are there because the government has already carried out the spending so you know if I walk into a bank tomorrow and I sit down with the loan officer and I say I'm here to borrow some money and the loan officer says Oh what do you want the money for and I say oh I want to buy a car how much do you want thirty five thousand dollars or whatever so we have a conversation and we see if I'm a good credit risk and if they want to bank wants to lend me thirty five thousand dollars I go to the bank for the money because I don't have the money I go to borrow the money because I don't have it the federal government puts the money down on the loan officers desk and then says can I can I borrow that money I mean it isn't borrowing in any meaningful sense it isn't debt in the same way that I take on debt when I when I borrow it's just a another way to allow people to hold their Australian dollars so in Australia I think the patterns are quite similar us you know Australia had record for a little bit record levels in the US so during World War two not many politicians that I'm aware of said on I don't think we can afford to fight this war it's getting a bit expensive we need to worry about future generations why don't we just not fight the war so hard why don't we have some austerity in order to not just generations Australia came out of World War two with the u.s. came out of World War two at record levels a bit and both in Australia in the US and you say this and you know it's the golden years of not just prosperity but increasing improving the distribution income rolling out social infrastructure um why just sort of changing to a different problem why if we for example had a war on climate change and racked up enormous amounts of their to not build bombs that blow things up but build sources of energy that give us free energy for decades to come why do we believe that incurring such debt to build something would have devastating economic consequences when history says accumulating debt to blow things up didn't have adverse consequences what do you think people think when they have these I think it's the D word I think that the idea that you know it's the B word and it's the D word it's the word borrowing and it's that we are adding to something that we call the national debt and so I think it's very difficult to communicate with the population to make the case that borrowing for the purpose of investing when we recognize that the borrowing will increase the debt but then we have to apologize for that and make the argument that even though we're going to do this thing that I know sounds very irresponsible and it's going to increase the debt that really if we think about it this way and from this angle it's not that bad because in the past we had have large debt to GDP ratio but we also have prosperity that's a lot to to wrap around someone in order to persuade them to kind of come in to the water is find everything you know we can we can make these investments I just think it's cleaner I guess to just admit that the government doesn't have to borrow its own currency from anyone in order to spend we could have the government run the fiscal deficits without adding to the debt and I really think it's the debt peace that gives people the anxiety because that's where the burdening of the next generation comes from that's where the borrowing from China comes from if you didn't insist on coordinating the deficit spending with the bond sales then I think you know that the level of anxiety would come way down because people would not be bombarded with these horror stories about the national debt no look I say also in the book that the way I think of the the thing we call the dead is just it's a historical record okay it keeps track of all of the prior instances in our nation's history where the government contributed more dollars to the economy than it subtracted away it left those dollars being held by people in the form of US Treasuries in our case that's all it is a historical record of all the times we added more than we subtracted and those dollars are sitting as part of someone's wealth they're part of their savings they're they're just US government bonds that's all they are think of it as part of the net money supply and I think we could start to change the conversation but as long as we keep calling it debt I don't know I think it's an uphill battle yeah I've never met someone with a million dollars in government bonds that enjoy a final question from me and then we'll turn over to questions the audience but you know let's imagine that Joe Biden wins the next election and I knew with the election what does an immunity policy framework look like how would the world be a different place if if people on the progressive side of politics words enthusiastic about debt as people on the conservative side of politics what what what could we do differently what would we do differently well I think let me start by saying I don't consider myself enthusiastic about debt per se I'm just enthusiastic about making full use taking full advantage of the monetary system that we have and approaching the federal budgeting process differently from the way we approach it today I wouldn't go in to sit down and draft a budget which of course is a moral document with the goal being to achieve balance over the 10-year budgeting horizon that's what we do today okay we pretend when we sit and write a budget that that's that's the end goal is to get the thing in balance I would approach this very differently I would say let's have a mission oriented budgeting let's figure out what are the real problems in the economy that we have the capacity to address or solve so if child poverty bugs me and I think that's immoral and we ought to be working very hard to eliminate it and drive it to zero what are the policies that we can put into place what are the investments we can make over time where the goal is to get child poverty rate to zero or poverty to zero what are the things that we can do if our infrastructure is currently graded a d-plus by the American Society of Civil Engineers what if my goal was to get it up to a B+ or even an A how much would I need to spend what are the investments I need to make what about climate change what if my goal is to get to net zero in the timeframe that the scientists tell us we need to move right expeditiously to transform housing and agriculture and the way we generate energy and and so forth what are the and then you know draft a budget recognize that the constraints are in our real resources there's an inflamed in constraint but there's not a revenue constraint so and addressing inequality along the way so do things on oxide but that just sort of I would do a lot of things I think and they would be bold and they would be ambitious but they would be mission oriented the goals would be clear so that they can be communicated to the population people understand why the government is putting resources here here and here with these goals in mind and then there's accountability did you succeed in bringing child poverty rates down did America's infrastructure grade go up and so forth do you think that the really the purpose of the budget the budget constraint the purpose of the fear there is really just a way to impose discipline on democracy that is it's a way for people in power to you know trick the public like children and say no we can't afford to do that we can't afford is obviously got nothing to do with money or resources can't afford is just code for I don't want to but rather than confront democracy with the fact that I want to spend money on aircraft carriers and I don't want to spend money on childcare you know it's the purpose of really talking about debt and deficits to just basically discipline the public to lower their expectations I couldn't have said that better than you just did I think so it is a it is a protective shield that you know they can actually look you right in the eyes and empathize with you they can go in front of their constituents when they return home to their districts and they attend a town hall and their constituents come and they say congressman X and Senator why why aren't you doing more to address this problem in that problem in our communities and so when they say oh I know I I would love to be able to believe me I would but the the debt and the deficit we got to get this up so I think it's like you know it works like a get-out-of-jail-free card for them because to the extent that the people they're talking to don't know better and they too are afraid of the debt and the deficit than just offering that excuse I would love to do it but we got the set and people say oh yeah we do right so we can't do anything yeah I I know this because my kids have just figured out that I make anybody we should we should probably take some questions yeah thanks so much and thanks everyone I've got lots of questions here and just a reminder there's a couple of people with their hands raised and if you would like to ask a question directly to the panel that is definitely the way to do that I just thought I'd start with this question from Sean Carroll given those last couple of responses from me Stephanie Sean asks is there a level of public debt that will hurt us I support what you are saying but is there a point where you do have to make cuts or rain things in question you say me Thank You Sean let's let me put my usual disclaimer out that selling bonds is optional it is a choice the government makes we do not have to continue adding to this thing that we unfortunately call the national debt if we don't want to those bonds are interest-bearing assets right so if you happen to be fortunate enough to have some of them you're receiving interest payments on those so the question for me is you know while there are a number of dynamics here with respect to distribution equestions and so forth but look if this stock of financial interest bearing financial assets is increasing over time and interest rate rates were to increase then the interest income that is being paid to bondholders over time is also increasing so then the questions for me I guess are twofold one is do we see public purpose served in providing essentially a risk-free subsidy it's these are risk free assets but you get a reward you get interest for holding them so do we see a public purpose sir in continuing to offer bonds pay interest and allow people to earn - I say learn to receive interest income at the risk that they might make a lot of interest income and then spend that money back into the economy creating some possible inflationary pressures so the point is for the debt get too big and the interest payments get too big well sure but only in concert with all of the other spending that's happening in the economy so you know if there is a long-run debt crisis or problem then it's the result of a long-run inflation problem if you don't see a long-run inflation problem you don't have a long-run get problem to worry about so you know look at Japan close to two hundred and fifty percent debt to GDP ratio they can't get inflation up to one percent they've been battling deflationary pressures for decades so it isn't clear to me and I don't think it's clear to anything more that there's some magical number out there where you know we were supposed to be a tipping point where you get into trouble I think it comes down to inflation quickly for Australia I mean you know we know that at the moment economy shrinking we know from our own experience sitting around the world when governments embrace austerity in response to a recession they keep the economy growing and if people worry even the Conservatives are worried about their I usually talk about debt to GDP ratios so I think you know we really have to definitely see there's no magic number where we should worry about it but we should be even more concerned about a shrinking economy and just another player you know names paper up on the website today did what don't have a read about the Australian history interesting thanks Richard um Lachlan McCall are you on the line there hi yes I am can you guys hear me yes we can what terrific great on thanks everyone so my question for Stephanie is as a young Mt economist the most frustrating thing I hear from critics of mmt is mmt is a proposal to start printing money to pay for things now as you know full well the MMT literature and you've written a large chunk of it Stephanie going all the way back to the 90s says no it's a description rather than a prescription and it's a description of the fact that currency issuing government's already right now spend by creating new money at the central bank and when they tax they delete old money and that's even Olivier Blanchard former chief economist to the IMF admitted this in November and this is the guy who pushed austerity in the eurozone for the last decade he's hardly a lefty the recent ahead of this the UK central bank Mervyn King said the same thing recently where he said mmm tea is nothing new the way it works now is the government decides how much it wants to spend and the central brain central bank prints the money why do you think so many and I'll quickly just read you a quote from a very prominent Australian economist call Andrew Lee that kind of illustrates this why does so many mainstream economists confuse positivists or empirical economics a description of the existing system with normative economics or a proposal to do something you I'll quickly just read you a quote from a very prominent economist in the ALP very quickly sorry I don't apologize he said on both sides of politics there are those peddling false hopes adherence an nmt claim that the gap between revenue and expenditure can be bridged by printing money a strategy they claim will have no adverse consequences governments that have tried to print money to cover their liabilities have learned the hard way that inflationary finance has limits his so referenced there is infamous Larry Summers Washington Post op-ed from last year what are your thoughts okay well let me start by saying that I was I did part of my graduate training at Cambridge University and in my macro theory course we used Olivier Blanchard's macro text as so many others did as a graduate level text and you know his textbook lays out the mainstream position which presents the argument as though governments have choices when it comes to how to finance their spending okay if the government wants to spend a dollar it can either raise taxes to get that dollar borrow from savers to get that dollar or the dreaded print money right Delta M change the money supply now this is presented as an ex ante budget constraint before the fact if the government know so that's in the Blanchard text right the idea that there are three ways to pay and when mmt shows and you're right I did publish on this one of the earliest papers maybe the earliest that I ever published was walking through the actual monetary operations to explain how governments already actually pay for everything and it turns out there isn't a choice to be made there's only one way to pay all government's spending today already and always is carried out by the central bank following Congress's instructions Congress passes a bill the bill orders up new dollars from the central bank the central bank carries out the payments on behalf of Treasury by changing the numbers in the appropriate bank accounts and when the central bank changes the numbers up because the government is spending it's effectively creating new digital dollars so a dollar is born that begins the life cycle of the dollar the government's own spending gives rise to new money creation so a dollar is born and that dollar will travel around the economy some government worker gets paid and then they buy some goods and services and somebody else receives income and and they turn around and spend a portion of that this is the multiplier at work and that dollar travels around until what until we send back a portion of those dollars to the government in 4 in the form of tax payments and the tax payment is the death sentence for the dollar so you're exactly right Lachlan that all government spending is carried out via new money creation and taxes you said delete or erase and I'm saying you know more brutally killed off or is a death sentence so the dollars are wiped off off of balance sheets they cease to exist at that point so it's frustrating because you know we think we have the more accurate operational story to describe how government finance actually works and the creation and destruction of dollars as the government authorizes new payments and then collects a portion in the form of taxes but I can't answer the question as to what motivates them to depict mmt as saying you know we want the government to print money I mean how else do they think that it could possibly work the central bank changes the numbers in the bank account new digital dollars are created there's there should be no debate over that Richardson if you want to add me anything to that I look just quickly I think so many people carry this sort of you know Germany printing money and people with wheelbarrows and inflation for any economy I think that baggage is just sort of so deeply set in our culture but Larry wants to people is if you're worried the government spending too much then wouldn't we be seeing inflation like we're looking at negative inflation in Australia at the moment so yeah anyone saying what am I think we're spending so much money regardless of how you conceive of how the money is created well if you've got high unemployment and load and negative inflation it's quite obvious that we're not spending enough where the money comes from was important and economists could debate that but the if the if the fear of the thing we're worried about is the government spending leading for the outbreak of inflation well we've got the Reserve Bank telling us for years and inflation is too low thank you the next question is from Lindsay Bruce and they asked I think we've already touched on how do we get politicians to embrace mm tea and you know pushing back against that question of how do we pay for it but also asks how do we educate the public so first you Stephanie well you could write a book that's one of the things that I I tried to do you know is to this is my attempt to communicate a lot of these ideas with you know a lay audience and to try to make it as accessible as possible I would love nothing more than for somebody who reads this book to want to pass it on to somebody else and then to want to pass it on to somebody else because you know that that's a big part of I think how we begin to change the discourse the other thing is the kind of work that you do I mean it is vital that you're there and you're also trying to communicate in different ways and to better educate the public through the efforts of the Australian Institute we need journalists and reporters to have a better understanding you know very often and I started doing this years ago someone would reach out to me to try to get a quote for an article or something like that and I would end up writing a few paragraphs for them and they would just stick it into their piece so if you have the time and you're willing to kind of help them along you know they they will improve over time they've ever they've got to start asking better questions and I just think it's you know activists have a role to play you know it's a multi-prong this isn't going to change easily and and I think it's gonna take a lot of us just insisting every time somebody says are you worried about the government deficit say why do you want to call it a deficit we it's it's every bit as much a surplus as it is a deficit so you know just kind of do what you can to flip the conversation in in new ways give it a new perspective but it's not easy okay did you wanna speak to that yeah just I mean I had some sure Stephanie does as well but you know the educator in me loves to try and teach people about things and show them how they work and and help people understand things better but we have to admit that most people don't understand most of the things that they interact with it's not just the monetary system that people don't understand I have no idea how my iPad really works every no idea how my heart really works and we don't actually ask people we don't ask them to understand really how their car works to use what so without in any way suggesting that we shouldn't try and educate ourselves about things that are important we I think we can lower the bar or a lot and make part of the task is to educate people with part of the task is to just show me that options exist and that the people who are trying to crush those options down and debate they've got something to hide we don't always have to be right and explain everything so it's definitely said you know in Japan said that you know 250 percent of GDP run deficits forever and it still has very low inflation so we don't have to explain to everyone how everything works to be able to point to rich successful countries and say the things they're warning about just aren't real they're not worried about deficits look at trauma the coalition government in here in Australia not really worried about deficit give them a choice between a tax cut and the deficit they'll take a deficit every single time and yes we should engage with people about the theory and the practice of how the monetary system works when that's the conversation other people won but just as part of our democratic debate we just need to be honest and say conservatives loved their conservatives love deficits they've never ever said no to something they want to spend money on because of the debt or deficit and and they're not mutually exclusive but depending on the audience yeah talk to people about how money works but for other audiences just talk about how politicians really bother I just want to say I couldn't agree with that more I think people don't have to know how an iPad works they don't have to know car works but they have to feel safe using an iPad and safe getting in a car so if you know respected public figures are around and everybody is saying oh that's a great reliable very safe automobile people feel comfortable and good but if there are you know public faces around saying debt crisis this and debt crisis it creates that anxiety in people so this paper you should hold it up again because the title is you know that's what people need people need to hear enough people in positions like yours with some authority to say hang on this is not something you need to worry about they don't need to go deeply investigate the national debt but to have someone like you laying those fears and from a position of authority is obviously very important um Valerie Bob will come to you in just a second can you hear me there yes I can excellent and just a reminder for everyone we will send a link around to that paper that won't hurt us as well as links to how you can buy Stephanie's book when we send around the link to the video recording of this after the webinar is finished and I just wanted to give a shout out to everyone we're hovering around a thousand participants today so a huge turnout and thank you all for coming and for your excellent questions Valerie what's your question for the panelists um ratings agencies have been de Praetorian Guard on behalf of the new neoliberal economists and to my mind have been used as a sort of like a scaffolding to sort of continuously hold up that system despite the fact that they never saw the subprime and that financial crisis coming but they're still trotted out there and our country's financial rating how do we deal with that as part of the the economic mess as we know it and as you've discussed today Valerie that is such a cracker question and I personally after the dance he couldn't believe that anyone listened to any of the rating agencies anymore but what would I know Stephanie what's your response to that well I it's just been flippant but ignore them I ignore them you know you can't first of all again I my usual disclaimer you can't rate bonds that don't exist so if you don't want to have this stock outstanding stock pile of government bonds you don't have to issue them but if the rating agencies want to threaten a downgrade in a credit rating or something like that and the government's belief is that this is somehow going to undermine its capacity to borrow beyond the belief wrongheaded belief that it needs to be able to borrow in order to cover expenditures then you have a problem but if you're willing to just simply ignore them and say listen you guys did this to the US you guys did this to Japan you know you downgraded Japanese government bonds to a rating below that of Botswana so we're really not going to take you very seriously because you know the Japanese government is perfectly fine you know interest rates are right where the BOJ puts them there's no inflation problem you can safely ignore the chatterings of these rating agencies when the argument that they're making is that a downgrade a threat of a downgrade is related to the government's ability to pay a if that's the argument they're giving you you can safely ignore that there is no possible way that the Australian government gets into a situation where it cannot make the interest in principal payments on government bonds as they come due when those bond payments are due in a currency that you and only you can create okay look agree entirely and you know when we had the same question I think was exactly the same we just have to ignore them you know a ratings agency that you know talks about palay and double-a - and all these miniscule gradations that they come up with when you know let's be clear there is there's not a corporate debt a corporate bond in Australia that is safer than a bond issued by the Commonwealth government not a single bond so yeah we talk about the risk of Commonwealth if the Australian government can't meet its liabilities we are so much bigger problems than the interest bill so yeah it's absurd I guess there's a good analogy in there are judges who have decided who won an Oscar and who didn't and in recent years people have discovered that maybe that judging process was not really as representative and democratic as we might have thought well guess what the people who have pointed themselves to judge fiscal responsibility aren't democratically elected they're certainly not representative and their track record as you said everybody is absolutely appalling so just ignore these people and one final question Stephanie if you can keep your answer to under a minute I would really appreciate it Peter Martin asks how do you answer ecologists claiming that mmt has the potential to increase the consumption of natural resources well in under a minute it's in the book but you know yeah there it is it's in there look I think that one of the one of the important contributions that we're making with respect to the debate over the national debt is that we don't even need to worry about the debt to GDP ratio I think so much of the obsession around debt is bound up I'm sorry let me put that in different terms so much of the growth obsession is bound up in our obsession with debt we're afraid of the debt and so we think that the way to get out of trouble is to grow our way out of trouble so growth for the sake of growth becomes a policy goal because if you drive the Dominator up high enough the ratio the debt to GDP ratio will come down so I want to pay a lot of attention when I talked about mission oriented budgeting I want to pay attention not just to an inflation constraint and say that the goal should be to maximize the speed at which we run our economy and use our and deplete resources but to also recognize ecological constraints and so forth so I talked quite a bit about it in the book excellent well that's a good plug there we might wrap it up there and I will tell people how to find it sorry done Richard we should worry about the shape and if we grow the parts of the economy that destroy the natural environment then growth will destroy the natural environment if we grow the parts of the economy like they help the education if we grow then they would have destroyed the natural environment so we have to look at the shape of GDP not its size and just a very quick focus Tiffany's book really is very easy to read my absolute favorite quote we can't use deficits to solve problems if we continue to think of the deficit itself as a problem read the book thanks Richard and thank you so much for your time stephanie kelton we really appreciate it and congratulations on the book I want to thank both Stephanie and Richard for their time today and thanks also to the economic Society of Australia for their assistance and thank you to you all for your great questions Stephanie's book the deficit myth is available in eBook format at Google Books Kindle topia and on the Google Play app and as mentioned at the start it's available now in some demux stores in Sydney and Adelaide but will be widely available in all good book shops from the 14th of July shipping has been delayed due to covert my cats playing up behind me here um please join us tomorrow if you can first / 17th of June at 11 a.m. when we'll be talking to you Alan enjoy the national president of the Australian Institute of International Affairs and Alan beam director of the Australia Institute in security and international affairs program about how misrepresenting policy issues as security problems does not solve and sometimes securitization turns problems into threats and next week on Thursday the June the 25th at 11:00 a.m. we'll be talking about the success of aboriginal led health responses to the pandemic with leslie nelson CEO of Southwest aboriginal medical service professor Andrew Sandra EADS Dean of Curtin Medical School associate professor Dan McAuley director of the Center for improving in health services for Aboriginal children at Edith Cowan University and Francine EADS chair of the Doble Aragon Health Service they'll be in conversation with Australian of the Year Professor Fiona Stanley as well as Richard Dennis that'll be next week and you can register for both those webinars at TA or got a you forward slash webinars please make sure you subscribe to our podcast follow the money you can follow that on iTunes or wherever you normally listen to podcasts and please stay 1.5 meters away keep watching those hands and stay safe everyone thanks so much sorry we didn't get to all your questions and we hope to see you tomorrow thanks Stephanie and Richard thank you both very much my pleasure 英語 (自動生成) #AskAnEconomist The Deficit Myth | Stephanie Kelton 7,033 回視聴•2020/06/16 高評価 低評価 共有 保存 TheAusInstitute チャンネル登録者数 2070人 チャンネル登録 Join author, academic and economist Stephanie Kelton, in conversation with the Australia Institute's chief economist Richard Denniss, for a discussion of her new book The Deficit Myth, which explains modern monetary theory (MMT) and the critical role of deficit spending. Stephanie Kelton is a professor of economics and public policy at Stony Brook University and author of The Deficit Myth. She is a leading expert on Modern Monetary Theory and served as chief economist on the U.S. Senate Budget Committee (Democratic staff) in 2015 and as a senior economic adviser to Bernie Sanders’ 2016 and 2020 presidential campaigns. Part of the Australia Institute's 'Economics of a Pandemic' #AskAnEconomist webinar series. もっと見る 次の動画 1:26:43 再生中 Stephanie Kelton: The Public Purse UCL Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose 4.9万 回視聴 2 年前 1:22:23 再生中 Chris Hedges' Empire of Illusion | The New School The New School 80万 回視聴 11 年前 1:21:10 再生中 Debt: The First 5,000 Years | David Graeber | Talks at Google Talks at Google 47万 回視聴 8 年前 51:10 再生中 【ダイジェスト】アメリカ大統領選挙を側で操るロスチャイルド家とゴールドマンサックス(三橋貴明×林千勝) 「新」経世済民新聞 三橋貴明 公式チャンネル 18万 回視聴 1 日前 新着 1:10:20 再生中 L. Randall Wray - Modern Money Theory for Beginners St. Francis College 9.8万 回視聴 2 年前 8:04 再生中 【棋譜ハイライト】藤井聡太二冠 VS 大石直嗣七段 第14回朝日杯将棋オープントーナメント(勝てば豊島将之竜王と)【主催:朝日新聞社】 元奨励会員アユムの将棋実況 1.2万 回視聴 23 時間前 新着 18:34 再生中 Bernie Sanders' 2016 Advisor On Modern Monetary Theory CNBC 15万 回視聴 1 年前 1:02:22 再生中 Stephanie Kelton and Yanis Varoufakis: Another Now #3 | DiEM25 TV DiEM25 2.5万 回視聴 8 か月前 に配信済み 10:53 再生中 Some of Rep. Paul Gosar's Siblings Call for his Expulsion from Congress | The Mehdi Hasan Show The Choice 10万 回視聴 2 日前 新着 1:01:42 再生中 Interpretation & Understanding: Language & Beyond (Noam Chomsky) Philosophy Overdose 18万 回視聴 6 年前 42:59 再生中 Jim Rogers: American Investor & Financial Commentator | Anything is Possible with Patrick Tsang Anything is Possible 10万 回視聴 1 か月前 24:49 再生中 共同体を断ち切るコロナ禍 我々はどう立ち向かうべきなのか? [三橋TV第339回] 三橋貴明・高家望愛 「新」経世済民新聞 三橋貴明 公式チャンネル 3万 回視聴 2 日前 新着 49:24 再生中 SALT Talks: Stephanie Kelton | Author, The Deficit Myth & Professor, Stony Brook University SALT 5196 回視聴 6 か月前 59:27 再生中 Zachary Carter, "The Price of Peace" and Stephanie Kelton, "The Deficit Myth" Politics and Prose 4357 回視聴 7 か月前 に配信済み 28:07 再生中 伝説のアマ強豪と対局してみた 将棋放浪記【プロ棋士】 3.1万 回視聴 2 日前 新着 48:00 再生中 寺島実郎の世界を知る力 #2 「青いアメリカと赤いアメリカ・日米近代史を知る」(2020年11月15日放送) TOKYO MX 12万 回視聴 2 か月前 30:29 再生中 渡辺明名人&むろかんなチャンネルコラボ【プロ棋士あるあるSP】 戸辺チャンネル 7.2万 回視聴 2 週間前 57:24 再生中 Stephanie Kelton -- MMT and the Deficit Myth (w/ Marshall Auerback) Real Vision Finance 3.8万 回視聴 6 か月前

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿