https://youtu.be/6IBEoWSiTHc
2018/06/18up
これもイラスト多数
Stephanie Kelton on the Need to Rethink Capitalism
https://youtu.be/x-KRxEW1jys
これもイラスト多数
Stephanie Kelton on the Need to Rethink Capitalism
https://youtu.be/x-KRxEW1jys
2020/08/11up
これもイラスト多数 字幕なし
-10m
同内容 字幕あり
W2 academic lecture - Stephanie Kelton: Rethinking fiscal policy
5:30 タカとハト
12:00 漫画
27:00 #2国の借金とは?
38:00 セイヤー
44:30 (tab)s
みなさん、こんにちは。インタラクティブになりますので、お話をさせていただきます。45分という大きな課題があります。45分でたくさんのことをカバーしていきたいと思います。非常に迅速にマリアナに感謝します主催者に来て、マリアナが設計したこの素晴らしいコースに参加するよう招待してくれてありがとう私は私がこの本に寄稿した章について少し話をすることができて大好きです推測はこのコースのコア教科書として機能しているので、私はここに立ち上がって何を繰り返したくありません」それはあなたにとって退屈であり、あなたはすでにその章に精通しているはずだったので、私はあなたにその章が行うことの弧のような広いブラシストロークのようなものを与えるつもりですが、それから私はあなたをどこに連れて行きたいですか?チャプターは少し先に進みませんが、チャプターで説明した議論に基づいて大丈夫なので、このチャプターでは、チャプターを読んだことを告白する人は何人いますか?質問はしません。 「大丈夫ではないので、私が参照している章では、赤字と呼ばれる小見出しがあり、世界を正しく救うと思います」これは、金融危機とその後の大不況の余波でポール・クルーグマンが書いたブログ投稿のタイトルであり、世界がこれについていじめていることを知っているので、うなずきます。経済が崩壊したために赤字が爆発し、経済が崩壊したときに赤字が自動的に増加する政府は、経済が弱体化し、人々が仕事を失っているときに赤字を押し上げるために積極的に行動する必要はありません。収入はあなたの連邦所得税をゼロにします彼らはあなたが持っていない収入を持っていないでしょう」t所得税を支払うことで、弱い経済と失業者の権利を支援するための支出で税金が自動的に崖から落ち、弱い経済が自動的に上昇する人々は、食糧援助や失業補償、住宅援助などのプログラムの資格を得ることができます。自動的に増加する税収は自動的に減少する政府が支出するものと税金で徴収するものの違いは赤字であり、不況が非常に深刻であったため、実際には赤字が自動的に増加し、多くのプロのエコノミストや彼らはそれを言った赤字が拡大し、これは悪いことであるため、パニックに陥る時間です。赤字を抑制し始めなければならないので、予算の均衡を保つために積極的に措置を講じる必要があります。政府支出の削減による増税方法常に緊縮財政で使用されている言葉は何ですか。誰かが正しいと言うのを聞いたので、あなたの経済に予算の均衡を強制しようとすると、緊縮財政が壊れた経済の均衡を取り戻すのではなく、経済に予算の均衡を強制し、それらの赤字が現れるだけでなく、積極的にそれらを推進していると、おそらくそれは良いことであり、今日の私たちのほとんどのプロのエコノミスト大不況の間に生じた赤字は小さすぎたので、実際にはもっと大きくなればよかったのに、経済はもっと早く回復しただろうし、政府の財政を使って正しいことをしなかったので、私は同意すると思います経済の安定と回復を支援する能力私たちは何年にもわたって成長の鈍化を遂げ、収入を失い、富を失い、貯蓄を失い、回復しなかった。最終的には、トランプ大統領が、不安と不安のせいで起こった。何百万人もの人々の現状に対する不満は大丈夫です。ここでは米国の文脈を使用しますが、明らかにこれは世界中の他の場所で発生し、その後ヨーロッパ全体で発生します。私たちはそれを生きてきたので、これは大丈夫だと知っているので、赤字が世界を救ったのは、主にそれらが自動的に起こり、それが悪いことを許された方法の下に床を置いたからですが、それから私たちはそれらに反対し、赤字を認識する代わりに積極的に戦い始めましたそれらの赤字が正しいことをしているということは、それらの赤字がより広い経済で果たした前向きな役割があり、私たちはそれらをさらに拡大し拡大することを許可すべきでしたが、私たちはそれをしませんでした、そしてなぜしませんでしたか?赤字は無責任な悪い行動の証拠であるという国の債務信念に対する政府の赤字に対する懸念のためにそうします。W2 academic lecture - Stephanie Kelton: Rethinking fiscal policy
— luminous woman (@_luminous_woman) January 19, 2021
2019https://t.co/P1qtSpA4kt
Hawks
Doves
Owl pic.twitter.com/oW1qdTuHpj
5:30
実際、正しいことは予算を均衡に向けて押し込もうとすることであり、そのため議論はここと世界中で主に2つの見解の間で起こったものはあなたが赤字のタカを持っていましたあなたが赤字にタカ派であるならあなたはここでその用語を使いますあなたはハードコアな反赤字支出ですあなたは今予算のバランスをとりたいですそして常に決して費やさないあなたが収入で集めるよりもペニー私は赤字ホークです私はすぐに予算のバランスを取り、バランスを保ちたいと思っていますそしてそれをよく言うこの他のキャンプがあります」少し極端なことですが、経済が弱体化し、政府が財政レバーを引くために何かをする必要があることを意味します。いくつかの税金を削減し、いくつかの支出を増やします。それは実際に行うのは良いことです。バランスを取るための予算ですが、景気が弱いときはいくつかの赤字を許容します。これは赤字の鳩の立場なので、後の緊縮財政と緊縮財政の違いは、主にこれら2つの支配的な立場の間で会話が行われた方法です。提案するのは、引き上げる必要のある3番目の声があるということです。過去に、私は赤字とそれがワシントンポストのヘッドラインのトップページを作ったのはご存知のようですが、そのようなものを人々が拾い上げて、赤字のフクロウとは何かと言いました。これらの他のドードーは正しいので、この鳥小屋に新しい鳥が必要だとよく言いました。私たちに悪い政策をとって、赤字のフクロウはホークスとハトが行方不明になっているのを見て、それは何ですか?s次の会話で私が構築しようとしていることは、フクロウが賢明であると思われる私の議論で、他の鳥が見落としているものを見ることができます。暗い右なので、他の人が欠けているものがあり、会話の一部である必要があると思うので、それを進めたいと思います。私の立場は、財政政策はあなたが到達するものではないということです。緊急の場合、私たちは財政政策を使用しますが、通常は中央銀行に依存して経済を動かします。私の見解は、財政政策はツールキットの永続的なツールであるべきであり、私たちがすべきであるという政策を行う正しい方法ではないということです。政府を調整するために」ミッション指向の支出目標を正しく達成するための予算なので、経済で何をしたいのかを理解し、目標を設定して透明性を高め、ミッション指向の予算を立ててから、それらの目標を達成できるようにする予算を作成します。経済に予算のバランスをとらせるのではなく、経済のより広い条件のバランスをとるための予算はい、そうしましょう。そうしましょう。ここで、誰かが話し合い、良い経済を促進するためにXYZを実行する必要があると言います。どのようにそれを支払うつもりですかどのようにそれを支払うつもりですかそしてそれからレコードが引っかき傷をつけるか、レコードプレーヤーの針で売られているのでレコードプレーヤーを知りません」会話が止まり、これが世界中のここや他の場所で起こっていることです。私たちはこれらすべてのことをやりたいと思っています。彼らの使命志向の目標どのようにあなたは正しいお金を払うつもりですか質問の背後にあるものは政府が必要とする信念ですプログラムに資金を提供するためにどういうわけかお金を考え出さなければならないお金を見つけるために、これについて話し合う必要がありますこれはお金についてのこの質問から始める正しい方法であり、政府は私が主張しないものにどのように資金を提供するのですか?私たちがいつも最初に始める質問であるこの質問から始めることを超えて私たちを動かしてくださいここで問題はこれが私たちがチェックしたサウンドが機能する短いビデオですが、次の数分間あなたはこれを聞いてから私たち私たちの子供たちからお金を取り、中国から借りることは私たちの国の債務を押し上げる私たちの子供たちの名前で中国銀行からクレジットカードを取り出すことについて話します私たちは無責任ですそれは無責任ですそれは政府の無責任な支出です私たちを奴隷に変えているあなたは文字通り私たちを鎖に閉じ込めるかもしれません少なくとも私たちがこの大きな長期債務問題に対処しなければならない私たちの子供たちまたはそれは私たちに対処しますそしてそれは私がそれは無実だと思います債務と税金の圧倒的な負担から子供たちを生活水準の低下から守るために、この財政列車の部屋を止めてください。私がしなかった減税は信じられません。」軸の言葉が欲しい私たちは中級クラスが大丈夫だということを意味しますそれはあなたが理由を知っているからですそして私たちが何十年もの間明らかに主要な問題である赤字削減について議論するとき私たちは私たちの未来と子供たちの未来を抵当に入れる赤字に赤字を積み重ねます物事は私たちが本当に困っているのは本当ですそれは何かが必要です包括的な赤字削減の必要性答えはイエスであるだけでなく、地獄はい私たちの頭にかかっていますそれはあなたが取るよりも多くのお金を費やしている政府は持続可能ではありませんあなたは税金を削減することはできませんあなたがそれを支払うことができない限り、支出を増やす連邦支出の数学は合計されず、私たちはお金を使っています私たちを押しつぶしている債務負担はありませんこれはあなたができるより道徳的な問題です」孫の子供たちから盗む私たちは赤字と国の債務は大丈夫だと思いますアマロ国の債務はアメリカの最大の問題ですそれはよく知られているように聞こえますかそうではありませんあなたが見たこのビデオに気づいたら彼らは文字通り超党派の合唱ですお互いの文章が正しく、ビデオがどのようにまとめられているかは、民主共和党民主共和党民主共和党です。つまり、彼らはすべて同じ賛美歌の本から歌っています。政府支出の危険性について同じ福音を説いています。彼らが赤字を実行することを受け入れる以上に、債務を債務に積み重ねる道徳は、将来の世代に負担をかける権利を果たします。オバマ大統領から中国からの借り入れについての言及があったところで、私たちの子供や孫には公平ではないので、これが国家安全保障の脅威であり、将来の世代への脅威であり、私たちの生活水準への脅威であるという議論があります。これは私が作った言葉である災害料金ですが、ここに問題がありますので、これは私たちが反対していることですが、これが正しければ、これはある時点でとても古いです災害があったと思いませんか今では大丈夫ですこれは私が見つけることができる限り1937年からの漫画ですが私は私が少し早く戻ることができれば、あなたは同じような漫画を見つけるだろうと確信していますが、1937年と彼らは何について不平を言っていますかハハハ360億私たちがそれらを最後に積み重ねると、それらすべてのゼロを一番上に見てくださいあなたと同じくらい高いでしょう超高層ビルや国の債務について人々を怖がらせるための正しい意味を知っているこれは1937年から1940年代にかけて、第二次世界大戦に入り、債務は大丈夫に増え始めたので、ここでは何十億もの赤字の死者を見て問題ありません私たちは490億人で、ここには650億人がいます。彼らは、水の罰金が入ってくるのを心配しないでくださいと言っています。災害は今や1980年代に移りますロナルド・レーガンレーガンの大規模な減税軍事防衛支出の赤字の大幅な増加は国の債務をほぼ3倍に増やし、レーガン大統領としての任期の終わりに、漫画はレーガン大統領の記念碑を建てようと言っています1.5兆はどこにありますか国の借金はレーガンのせいです。ここでも、クリントンが大統領を辞任するまでに最大3兆の漫画があります。それは、5ポイント7兆で、その後7年半になります。私たちが借金をしている貧しい米国に私たちを助けてください。 10兆と13兆を再び数えると、貧しい子供はテレビを見て、国の債務の彼らのシェアが45ドルであることがわかります。000それが14兆に上昇する15兆モンスターが米国を食べて右16兆17兆が缶を蹴り、両当事者がこの巨額の借金を将来の世代に転がしている今、私たちは18の国家債務の大きさで星間です兆それはもう地球に収まりますそれはもうとても大きく成長しました19兆それは癌ですそれは癌です20兆タイタニックそれは先の氷山ですそれは必然的にそれは災害で終わるでしょう21兆そして私たちが今私たちの中にいる場所は文字通り私たちです「私が言っていることは、100年間、22兆に達するでしょう。実際、誰かが国の借金について、そして終わりがどのように近づいているのか、そしてどのようにそれを叫んでいるのか、もっと長くなっています。」危機それは常に危機ですそれがどんなサイズであっても終わりは常に空の近くにありますそれは常に差し迫った脅威です差し迫った脅威ですので私がやろうとしているのは私たちが開くものを文脈化するためのいくつかの視点を提供することですもう一方の目は、片方の目を開いてもう一方の目を閉じた状態でこの分析を行っているようなものなので、バランスシートの反対側を見ることができました。この赤字を、単に反応するのではなく、意味のある文脈でこの国債に入れなければなりません。数字を正しくすると、それは単なる数字であり、おそらくそれは負の数であり、私たちは皆、メガメガヌマ恐怖症に苦しんでいます」非常に大きな負の数字を恐れているので、それを乗り越えなければならないので、新聞を手に取って、政府債務が史上最高であるという見出しを読んで、次のようになりたいと思います。大丈夫そうですね。どうやってそこにたどり着くのか、どうやって別の会話をするのか、パラダイムシフトが必要なのか、話し方を変えて、いくつかのことを考える必要がある最大の間違いは、考える傾向です。政府の財政は、政府の予算を個人の家計に例える私たち自身の権利と同様に、私たち全員が個人レベルで私たちができないことを知っているので、すべての問題が始まるところです。毎年借りるよりも多くの支出を続けて借金を増やし、うまく終わらない人々は大丈夫だと期待しているので、うまく終わらないビジネスにとってはうまく終わらないだろう私たちですが、連邦政府の予算は私たちの予算のようであり、私たちの予算のようではなく、彼らと私たちの最大の違いは彼らが発行者であるため、連邦政府にとってもうまくいかないということです。通貨の一部と私たちの残りの部分は、あなたがすべて英国ポンドを使用している通貨のユーザーにすぎませんが、英国政府は、米国の他の場所から英国ポンドを発行します。私はドルを使用しましたが、米国の連邦政府米ドルを発行しません」私が地下室やガレージでそれを偽造と呼ばれ、彼らが刑務所に行く場合、政府は通貨を作成する独占的権利を自らに与えるだけです。それは私にとって合法ではありません。米ドルを作成する米国政府だけがその権利を持っているので、それをスーパー特許と呼んでもいいので、彼らは家事や民間企業のように破産することができない通貨を発行するので、ここには根本的な違いがあります。残りの時間は大丈夫です私は5つの質問に取り組むつもりです私はそれぞれ約5分でそれをやろうとしていますが私は時間の利益のためにスピードアップしますのでこれらは5つの質問です政府の考えに内臓反応を示すほとんどの人に最初に取り組みたい」実行中の財政赤字私はあなたに赤字が何であるかをあなたに言うことができます彼らは赤字さえ理解していません彼らはただ言葉が好きではありません言葉自体は否定的な右の赤字であるという意味を持っています私は何かが不足していますそれは負の意味合いがあります赤字が実際に何であるかについて話しましょうそして借金と同じことは負の意味合いがあります人々は借金が良いかもしれないと信じていません借金は危険な悪い正しい危険なものの1つにすぎないので私は話しました私たちが外国の利益に依存しているという考えは、私たちを緊張させ、不安にさせ、脆弱に感じさせます。中国が米ドルの貸し出しを拒否し、ドルのウィンドウを閉じて、それ以上使うことができないことを知っているとしたらどうなるでしょうか。彼らは勝った'私たちが話さなければならないお金を持ってみましょう私たちは最終的にそれを返済しなければなりませんが私たちは確かに私たちは永遠に借金を抱えることはできないという意味です最終的にあなたはそれを正しく返済しなければなりませんそれは人々がそれについて話し、そして最後に質問は、私たちが持つことができるすべてのスペースでそれらの可能性のすべてを開くものです。私たちがすべての執着から逃れることができるのは何であるかを実際に話すとき、政府の政策についてはるかに有益な議論になると思いますお金と赤字で大丈夫です。まず、政府の赤字とは何ですか。たとえば、政府が経済に10を費やしているとしましょう。ここで、政府が10を経済に費やしているのは、私たちが英国にいるのに、私たちがいないからです。これらの小さなドルを使って、私たちはポンドを使っています。m政府の役割を演じるつもりで、私はこれを正しく行ったので、10個のミニを作ると1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10わかりました、これらはポンドです私は英国政府の役割を果たしていますそのため、私はその画面の前を歩いていません。画面を回っています。英国経済に10を費やしています。つまり、あなたはすべての世帯であり、すべての民間企業はあなたが英国経済です。今、私は政府として10を経済に費やしましたが、あなたが10を持っているので、あなたが見るように課税するつもりです。私が税金を消し、そのうちの4つを取り戻すとしたら、今私は税金を集めました。私は税金を払うよりも経済に多くを費やしました私はあなたがあなたでもある赤字を実行しましたそれをささやきながら私は赤字を実行しました私は赤字と呼ばれるこの非常に恐ろしいことをしましたあなたは何を持っていますかあああなたはそれらをどこで手に入れましたか私の赤字はあなたが私と一緒にそれを言うことです私は黒字です私の赤字はあなたの黒字です予算のバランスをとったら、10を費やしてから、10を課税した場合、何もありません。財政赤字を実行したので、6つは大丈夫だという鏡像が得られます。私は政府ですが、あなたはあなたの本にプラス6を記録することができますが、悪くはありませんが、今ではかなりの金額で、そのための支出は何だったのかと言うかもしれません。良い質問は、それが英国経済の人々の物質的な幸福を改善することを目的としたのか、それとも太った猫に行きましたか、そしてあなたはそれが悪化する収入と富の不平等を拡大したことを知っていますが、それは長期的な成長を促進するのに役立つ何かをしましたあなたの使命が何であれ、経済の緑化は重要な問題ですが、一つのことは、それを手に入れる私の不足のために誰かが金銭的に良くなったということです、そしてそれについての支出は大丈夫ですが、結論は誰かが彼らが持っていなかったであろう財政的黒字に終わったが、私の赤字のために、あなたは皆、私たちが止めなければならなかった赤の政府の赤の政府の赤の政府の赤の右の政府の赤インクではないと言ったことを使用しますそれはうまくいきますが、彼らが赤字になっているときはあなたは赤字は黒字なので、米国では赤字というフレーズを使用しているので、赤字は黒字です。これは私たちの実際のデータです。政府の財政収支は赤字です。民間部門は黒で、お互いに反対方向に動くのがわかります。これは、片方の目を閉じて、政府の収支に何が起こっているのかを気にせずに見ているだけなので、見逃してしまう重要なポイントです。非政府のバランスシートそしてそれは私たちが正しいところです私たちは経済の非政府部分にいるので、大不況の間に経済が弱体化したときに爆発した赤字は私たちの10%11%GDPの巨額の赤字はヒステリーを引き起こしました。人々はこれらの巨額の赤字がマイナスに転じるのを見たが、残りの経済で生み出した巨額の黒字に注意を払わなかったため、経済は人々の累積財政収支を回復することができました。彼らが収入を取り戻し、債務を返済し、バランスシートを回復するのを助けたので、彼らが必要としていた有用な赤字があったので、今日私たちは米国にいます。共和党は米国史上最大の減税のいくつかを通過しました人々はパニックになり始めていますこれらの減税は財政赤字を増やすと予測されているので、今は将来の数兆ドルの赤字の可能性を再検討すると、ウォールストリートジャーナルのこのような見出しは、新しい通常の見出しになる可能性があります。人々はそのような見出しを読んで、神経質な兆ドルになります。赤字ですが、その見出しを書き直して同じ情報を報告した場合、政府からではなくバランスシートの位置からそれを提供します。そのため、私が報告しているのは、その単語の赤字を監視することです。同じ情報なので、今、見出しは、なぜ兆ドルの黒字が新しい正常である可能性があるのかを読んでいます。今、あなたはその見出しを読んで、何兆ドルの黒字が正しいと言って、私には問題ないように聞こえますが、大丈夫かもしれません」sちょうど遠近法なので、立っている場所によっては、あるもののように見えることもあれば、別の物のように見えることもあります。政府の観点から見ていると、振り返って見ると赤字のように見えます。別の角度から見ると、それは大丈夫な視点についてです。国の債務について話しましょう。国の債務とは何ですか。赤字は、政府が経済に費やすものと、それが国の赤字である税金との間の年次差です。借金は別の人々がしばしば彼らを混同するものなので、国の借金は何ですか?政府として赤字を出すたびに、これらの6つがどこから来たのかを思い出すことから始めます。私は大丈夫です。赤字支出を伴う借入操作と呼ばれるものがあるので、この場合は100をうまく入れました。私の赤字を残したのは6だったので、今は6の赤字を実行したので、債券をオークションにかけなければなりません。財務省の罰金です。誰かがここでこれらの6つを望んでいるかどうかを確認したので、今すぐそれらを保持します。これらについてのクールなことは、それらが政府の約束のメモであるということです、しかしそれらはあなたが見る興味を払います、そしてそれらはそうではありません。大丈夫ですので、これらの財務省証券によって、無利子の通貨の一部をこのクールなものの一部と交換したいと思います。実際、オークションを回るのに十分な数の人がいることはありません。常にオーバーサブスクライブしている私が利用できるよりも多くの人々がこれらに入札しているので、あなたは私にこれらの6つを与えるつもりですそして私はあなたにこれを与えるつもりはありませんこれは自発的です私はこれを正しく行う必要はありませんが私が練習によって赤字を実行するとき私はスワップを行い、国債を提供します。それが国債であるため、借りているのは6つの小さなピンクの紙ではなく、6つの大きなピンクの紙を持っているということです。■すべての国債は、国債を説明する方法です。国債は、経済に費やされたお金であり、現在国庫の形で貯蓄されている、課税されていないお金です。国債はそれだけです。あなたの貯蓄を節約しましたそれはあなたに時間の経過とともにあなたに少しの利子を支払う金融資産の形であなたに米ドルを節約する方法を与える投資手段ですええそれはすべての国債が経済に費やされたドルまたはポンドです現在、国庫の形で保存されているので、課税されないので、私はこのことをしていません。あなたが持っているかどうかはわかりませんが、何年も前に、この借金時計をニューヨーク市のタイムズスクエアに置くために億万長者が支払ったと思います。リアルタイムで動作するこの巨大な時計は、数字が変化し、追跡していました。タイムズスクエアのプライム不動産にある国の借金は、みんなに思い出させてくれるので、幸せになってブロードウェイのショーを見ようと歩き回っているときは、成長しているモンスターの権利を思い出させるこの気の遠くなるような時計のそばを歩かなければなりません。ある時点であなたの子供を食べるので、私たちはこの借金時計を持っていました、そしてそれは人々を怖がらせることを意味しているので、国の借金が何であるかがわかったので、その借金時計を取り、名前を変更することができます。貯蓄時計は、私たちがそうしなければ、それほど良く聞こえません。それを国債時計と呼び、私たちはそれを米ドル節約時計または英国ポンド節約時計と呼んでいます。そうすれば、数字が増えるのを見ることができ、人々が増えていると言うことができます。英国ポンドの安全な保有を知っています。それで大丈夫です。そうです、それで中国は中国や他の外国が保有するすべての債券についてよく質問します。確かにそれは問題です。米国の場合、中国は多くの米国債を保有しているということを取り上げましょう。彼らはどこで彼らを手に入れましたかなぜ彼らは彼らを持っているのですか中国は長年にわたって輸出主導の成長に経済を向けてきたので彼らは中国で物を製造させたいと思っています彼らは彼らの時間資源を使って彼らの人々を工場で働いて生産していますエネルギーの才能などがそうでなければものを作る保管して消費し、楽しんでください。コンテナに入れて船に積み込み、他の国のアメリカに発送します。はい、その代わりに米ドルを受け取るので、実際の商品やサービスは輸出国に届きます。そして、彼らは誰かの通貨の形で支払いを受け取りますええ、彼らが私たちのために製造した実際の商品やサービスと引き換えに中国が得るのは、事実上、中央銀行の連邦準備制度の口座をチェックして、銀行で番号を取得することです中国が所有する口座これらはあなたのドルです中国はあなたがちょうど言ったことをしますピンクの紙は淡いピンクのように気になります私は濃いピンクの紙のいくつかを好むので、当座預金口座から借方に記入し、米国債である普通預金口座である証券口座に貸方記入して、他の中国と同様に無利子を交換できるようにします利付国債の現金通貨を負担することは、私たちが中国に負っている唯一の問題は銀行取引明細書であるということです。雇用と工場が海外に移動し、アメリカ人が購入していないために国内の失業を増やすことを許可している場合、問題になる可能性があります。国内で生産されている商品やサービスではなく、海外で生産された商品を購入する場合、それについて何もしなければ、国内での雇用の面でコストがかかる可能性があるので、そうではありません。貿易の不均衡やそのようなものについてはまったく心配する必要はありませんが、私のポイントは、中国がこれらの財務省を持っているかどうかは関係ありません。それは、どういうわけかこれが私たちを脆弱にする債務を返済できないという意味ではありません。中国が米国債の一部を所有しているのは米国にとって問題なので、中国が米国債の購入をやめると決めたらどうなるか、中国が米国債を買わないと決めたらどうなるかと言う人もいます。ドルがないので、これを使う余裕がないのはまったくナンセンスです。中国がこれ以上米国債を購入したくないと判断した場合、それはおそらく中国が米国債を購入しないと決定したことを意味します。製造して米国への純輸出をしたくないので、彼らは自分たちが作っているものをすべて保持することを決めた、または米国に輸出したくないと言います。つまり、彼らが私たちに自分たちのものを売らなければ、彼らはドルで終わることはないということです。ドルを取得するつもりはなく、ドルを取得しない場合は、国庫に変換したくないので、中国がこれ以上国庫を必要としないと判断した場合、実際に言っているのは、中国が望んでいないと判断したことです。米国への純輸出に問題があるのは、安い輸入品にアクセスできることが米国の消費者にとってメリットであるためかもしれません。なぜなら、あなたが正しく購入しているもののいくつかに支払うことができればドルがさらに上がるので、中国がそうしない場合は物を作り続け、アメリカの消費者に安価に販売したいので、中国が長年私たちのためにやってきたことをやってくれる別の国を見つけて、安い商品を作って私たちに送るか、作る必要があります私たち自身はより高い価格である可能性が高いので、インフレが見られる可能性があるので、インフレの可能性があるリスクがあります。これは本当に心配する正当なことですが、債務返済ではありません。リスクは債務自体ではないので、スティーブ・ミヌチンは私たちの財務長官は現在、これについて尋ねられましたが、ある時点で中国が財務省を投棄し始めるか、購入への興味を失うことを拒否する可能性があることを心配していますか?彼は私が彼のことであるそれについて眠りを失うことはないと言いました応答と私はそれが正しいものだと思うので私たちは」大部分は政治であり、国の債務と赤字についてのこれらの議論は、この問題をめぐって双方が互いに打ち負かし合っているのを見たのですが、それは政治的な粗野な宝石です。あなたが誰かと対戦しているときに、あなたの党が赤字を押し上げて国債に追加したと言って、私たちに投票し、それをしないと言ったときに役立つレトリックの武器私たちはそれを修正し、その党が選出され、必然的に彼ら赤字を実行し、債務が増加し、その後、相手方が行くあなたは私たちに財政的に無責任な投票をしましたそれはそれを修正し、それはただ政治的です」政治的に便利なので、上院の丘で働いていたときに私の好きなことの1つは、魔法の杖を持っていて、その魔法の杖を振って国債全体をなくすことができるかどうかを議会のメンバーとスタッフに尋ねることでした。明日22兆が消えた今覚えている杖の波だけですべてが消えるあなたはそれをしますか彼らは何を言ったと思いますか彼らは何を言ったと思いますか彼らは杖が消える波は大丈夫と言うのであなたは熱心ですそれが報われるか、死をなくすことについて私があなたに別の杖を与えたらどうなるでしょうそしてあなたがこの杖を振りたいならあなたは米国債の世界を根絶することができますあなたが知っている年金ポートフォリオにない世界のどこにも国債はもうありません彼ら'行ってしまったので、ワンドを振って、彼らが何を言ったと思いますか?いいえと言った人もいれば、いいえと言った人もいれば、私が質問を理解していないように家に帰った人もいます。最初の質問に「はい」、2番目の質問に「いいえ」と答えた場合の答えの問題は何ですか。同じ質問です。未払いの国家債務全体がそれ以上ではないため、同じ質問です。米国債の形で保有されているすべての安全な資産よりも、グローバル金融システムで最も重要な金融商品を排除することなく、債務を排除することができます。あなたの目的が借金を返済するか、借金をなくし、財務省を大丈夫に保つことである場合、あなたは問題を抱えているので、そこで借金を返済または返済する前に実際にこれを試したので、歴史的に何が起こったのかについて話しましょうアメリカ合衆国の全歴史の中で7つの期間があり、政府の予算が黒字に転じた7つの期間であり、政府が黒字になっているときは、経済からより多くのお金を取り戻し、現在の支出よりも多くを集めていることを意味します。私は10を取り出しますが、4を戻すだけなので、6の余剰があり、6の不足があります。余剰を実行し始めると、借金を返済し始めます。そのため、1817から1820に借金を返済し始めます。 -政府の1つ」予算は黒字に転じ、私たちは国の借金を返済し始めました。1819年に起こったうつ病は完全なうつ病ではなく、再びそれを行いました。今回はアンドリュー・ジャクソンの下で、米国が国を完済した唯一の機会でした。借金は1835年にアンドリュージャクソン大統領の下にありました私たちはそれをゼロにしましたそして何が起こったのかうつ病は1837年に始まりました私たちは再び借金を返済し始めましたあなたがパターンうつ病うつ病うつ病を見るそしてそれから私たちはビルクリントンの下でそれをしましたveはそれをゼロにし、何が起こったのか1837年にうつ病が始まり、余剰が再び借金を返済し始めました。パターンうつ病うつ病うつ病うつ病が見られます。それをゼロにし、1837年にうつ病が始まったのですが、余剰が再び借金を返済し始めました。パターンうつ病うつ病うつ病が見られます。それからビル・クリントンの下でそれを行いました。 1998 99 2000 20014年連続で米国の予算は世代を超えて初めて黒字に転じましたが、財政責任がワシントンに戻ったために祝われました。政府の予算は黒字でした。私たちは国の債務を返済し始めました。大不況が続いたので、なぜ私たちがそれをしているのであれば、あなたが余剰を実行するのに費やすよりも多くを費やさずに収集するのがとても良いように聞こえるのは賢明なことですそれは賢明なことですなぜそれが終わるのかをするのは良いことです連邦政府がそれを行うたびにひどく、答えはここにありますこれは私たちの実際のデータです1950年代に戻ると、この画像について気付いたのは、グラフを下から上に折りたたむと完全に鏡像になり、水平軸の右のゼロo軸に完全に折りたたまれます。経済のさまざまな部分のそれぞれの財政収支を示しているので、これを説明させてください。これは赤の政府です。これは民間部門です。青と緑の皆さんはすべて国内経済の外にあります。ですから、世界の他の地域は大丈夫です。つまり、私が政府であり、収集した金額よりも多くを費やした場合、1つを投入し、2つを経済に投入しますが、1つだけ取り戻すと、皆さんは1つになります。私の赤字はあなたの黒字として現れます、そしてそれは」sここで何が起こっているかは大丈夫なので、50年代の初期の60年代から70年代にかけて、米国は私たちが製造し、ドルベースで世界の他の地域に販売した純輸出国でした。貿易黒字を実行していた世界の他の地域は私たちに対して貿易赤字を実行していたので、ゼロ以下の緑は、私が実行している赤字に世界の他の地域の赤字を追加すると、世界の他の地域から供給される赤字があります政府が一緒に私たちの赤字はあなたの黒字を生み出すので、赤と緑を追加し、鏡は青です時間の経過とともに前進します私たちの貿易黒字は消えます今私たちは貿易赤字をうまく実行しているので世界の他の地域は彼らが上にある黒字を持っています政府の予算が赤字ではなく、それらの赤字がない場合はゼロ十分に大きいので、米国の民間部門はゼロ以下になります。それが起こっていることです。ここで起こっていることはここではありません。世界の他の地域がこれらの巨額の貿易黒字を実行しているとしましょう。政府の赤字は小さすぎて小さすぎます。それは民間部門を依然としてネガティブな領域に置いたままですが、政府の赤字が十分に大きくなるにつれて、彼らが投入しているよりも多くのドルを経済から奪う世界の他の地域を補う以上のものになり、それが民間部門を適切な状態に押し上げます余剰の状態なので、ここですぐに見てください。ここにある小さな赤いビットはクリントンの余剰です。クリントン政府の予算は余剰になり、政府はそれ以上にこのようになっています。世界の他の地域が私たちから投入しているよりも多くのドルを奪っているのと同時に、このようになっているので、政府の黒字と世界の他の黒字は、米国の民間部門に巨額の赤字を生み出しているので、何世代にもわたって初めて民間部門を見ることができます米国の民間部門は主に家計部門がその収入よりも多くを費やし始めます通貨の家計ユーザーはそれが主に多くを引き受けることによって行われるので長い間ではなく赤字ポジションで生き残ることができますここで起こったことは大丈夫ですが、政府はほとんど赤字で生きており、そのようにうまく生き残っています。なぜなら、それは通貨の発行者であるため、ルールが異なり、私たちの一人がそれを維持できるからです」私たちの1人が私たちが受け取るよりも多くを費やしているが、もう1人は大丈夫ではない場合、持続可能なので、ここで私たちが支払うことができる最後のビットは、政府の予算がこのように機能し、政府が税金を徴収するという考え方です。お金を持っていて、それからお金を使うという操作の順序は、最初にすべてのお金を集め、次にイエスを使ったので、問題は常に誰がタブを手に入れるのか、どのようにお金を払うのかということです。私たちの精神的な枠組みである正しいタブから、これはそれを正しく考える方法ではありません。なぜなら、私たちは皆、税金が上がっているお金をどこで支払うのか、誰がそれを支払うのかに夢中になっているからです。あなたは誰にお金を払うつもりです」タブを手に取るつもりなので、誰かが大きな野心的な議題を持って来て、公立の大学をすべてのインフラストラクチャの授業料無料のヘルスケアにするこれらすべての種類のものを、彼らは私たちがこれらすべてのことを正しく行うべきだと言った、と彼は言ったこれは大統領選挙後の彼女の回想録からのものであり、バーニー・サンダースと対戦することは私たちがこれをやろうと言うようなものであり、彼女はいつも行ったことを知っていると彼女は言ったと彼女は言っていますいつも大きくなっていて、本当にイライラしていました。ポニーのバーニーにどのようにお金を払うのか知っているようなものだったので、ポニーはどんな大きな野心的な支出プログラムのメタファーです。ポニーにどのようにお金を払うのかという比喩で、ウォールストリートの憶測に課税することで公立の大学を授業料なしにすることができると彼は言いました。つまり、経済学では金融取引税またはトービン税と呼んでいます。税金で資金を調達し、それから私たちはお金を大丈夫に使うことができるので、彼はそのタブフレームワークで遊んでいると彼は言ったインフラストラクチャはあなたがそれをどのように支払うつもりか、またはヘルスケアはインフラストラクチャがうまく機能し、億万長者が支払うだろうと言いましたそれが正しいので、私たちは富や何か他のものに税金を課すでしょう私たちはお金があるところに行きますそして私たちは」政府は家のようなものであり、資金を調達するためにお金を見つけなければならないので、最初にお金を見つけに行かなければならないので、首相は有名に魔法はないと言いました。金のなる木それはお金がどこからでも来ることができるというわけではないので、ドナルド・トランプの場合はもちろんこの壁の問題があり、彼は私たちが壁の支払いを受けると約束しましたメキシコ私は、彼が私たちに壁と政府があると言って始めたばかりだった場合、これが彼にどれほどの問題を引き起こしたかを調べます」壁の代金を払うつもりだったのですが、彼にとっては別の会話だったでしょうが、彼はこのメキシコに固執したので、そのようなものの代金を払うことになっていたので、とにかく私たちが持つべき議論は完全に異なり、もっと時間があれば数回前に連邦準備制度理事会の議長を務めたアラン・グリーンスパンがこれを美しくレイアウトしたこの小さなビデオクリップを再生します。彼は彼の言葉で、連邦政府が必要なだけのお金を稼ぎ、支払うことを妨げるものは何もないと説明しました。議会で証言する宣誓の下でのアラン・グリーンスパンからの直接の引用である誰かにそれは大丈夫だと彼が言っていることは社会保障をめぐるこの戦いがあり、政府ができるという信念があるということです将来の退職者への約束を守るために、障害者の扶養家族はどこでお金を考え出すのか、グリーンスパンはそれは正しい質問ではないと言ったので、私たちは常にお金の問題や通貨を考え出すつもりです私はここで連邦政府の議長を務めています問題は、将来の退職者にこれらの小切手を送った場合、彼らがお金を受け取ったときに、より少ない人数でも十分に生産的な経済でそれを使うことができるようにする方法を彼が言うことです。働いていて、より多くの人々が引退したため、物の生産に貢献しなかった場合、そのお金を十分に生産している経済に費やすことができるので、問題のあるインフレは得られません。インフレがすべてであり、それは彼が言っていることではありません。資金調達」手頃な価格ではなく、常に実際のリソースの制約とインフレの制約についてです。これはグリーンスパンが主張したことです。これは私たちが持つべき議論ですが、アーセナルのファンであるように私たちに言及する最後のいくつかのポイントはありません。私はそう思ったので、彼らがリードしているスコアボードを検索する必要がありましたが、それを見つけたので、米国政府が米ドルのスコアキーパーであると言うことがあります。これはすべてデジタル支払いなので、議会が予算を承認するときそれはそれを使うことを提供します」■彼らがそれに投票した場合、彼らは予算を通過し、大統領は支出が承認されたことに署名し、政府の財政代理人がすべての支払いを清算することであるため、連邦政府の仕事にお金があります。政府に代わって、連邦準備制度は政府の小切手をバウンスしませんその仕事は政府の小切手をバウンスすることではなく、大丈夫にクリアすることです。そうすれば、連邦準備制度は、ニューヨーク連邦でキーボードを使用する方法を議会によって承認された支払いをクリアし、あなたがロッキード・マーティンまたはボーイングであり、あなたが大きな契約を結び、政府があなたから購入した場合、あなたが政府に売却した場合、人々の口座の数字はあなたが彼らがしない支払いを受け取ります。彼らがデジタルエントリーをする現金のパレットのようにあなたに現金を送ってください、そしてあなたの銀行口座は政府が購入することに同意したもののサイズによって正しく増加します政府はドルのスコアキーパーですここでは政府は英国ポンドのスコアキーパーですスポーツイベントに行かず、お気に入りのチームが次々と得点を競うのを見て、スタンドに座って、なんてことだ、二度と得点しないことを願っている。彼らがポイントを使い果たすことになるポイントスコアキーパーがポイントを使い果たすことを誰も心配することはありませんスコアキーパーは政府ができるポイントを使い果たすことはできません」ドルやポンドが足りなくなると、彼らはそれらを発行します。それが実際にどのように機能するか、そしてこれで終わりです。私が行ったように政府が最初に支出します。認可が与えた予算を通過します。経済への支出を開始します。私に税金を払うか、私のために財務省を購入して、あなたがそれを手に入れる前に私がそれを使う必要があるかもしれないお金を最初に得るまで、それで支出が最初に来るように課税し、借り入れは二次的な操作であり、これは私たちを今私たちがお金の質問をする必要がないので、私たちが完全に異なる議論をすることができるスペースあなたの場合、それからお金がどこから来るのかは予算の承認から来ます議会はそのように支出を承認します」■何をしたいのか、どのような問題に取り組みたいのか、何を解決したいのかなど、英国経済の資源をどのように集めるかについて、はるかに生産的で興味深く重要な議論があることを理解した場合、お金はどこから来るのかミッション目標は何ですか予算をどのように使用してそれらを実行する必要がありますか?それが最後のスライドですそれはあなたが知っているすべてですあなたはそれらを正しく雇うことができる十分な実際のリソースを持っていますかそれはお金の木ですそれは本当のリソースですツリーあなたが持っているリソースをどのように利用し、実際の問題を解決するためにミッション指向の方法でそれらを指示し、それがあなたのウェブにあるようにします[拍手]経済(自動生成)sあなたのウェブで[拍手]英語(自動生成)sあなたのウェブで[拍手]英語(自動生成)本当のリソースツリーあなたが持っているリソースをどのように利用し、ミッション指向の方法でそれらを実際の問題を解決するように指示し、それがあなたのウェブにあるようにしますか[拍手]英語(自動生成)実際のリソースツリーどのようにあなたはあなたが持っているリソースをどのように利用し、あなたのウェブにあるように実際の問題を解決するためにミッション指向の方法でそれらを導くか[拍手]英語(自動生成)
good afternoon everybody how are you
good
there they are allowed to talk because
this is going to be interactive I hope I
have a big task in that I have 45
minutes and I want to try to cover a lot
of ground with you in 45 minutes
so very quickly thank you to Mariana
thank you to the organizers the
invitation to come and be part of this
incredible course offering that Mariana
has designed I love that I get to come
and talk a little bit about a chapter
that I contributed to the book that I
guess is serving as the core textbook in
this course so but I don't want to stand
up here and repeat what's in the chapter
because that would be boring for you and
you were supposed to already be familiar
with the chapter so I am going to give
you that broad brushstroke sort of the
arc of what the chapter does but then I
want to take you where the chapter
doesn't go which is a little bit beyond
but building on the arguments that I
laid out in the chapter okay so in this
chapter how many of you will confess to
having read the chapter I won't ask you
questions about it I won't okay so in
the chapter I refer to and I think I
have a subheading called deficits save
the world right you're nodding so you
remember that this is the title of a
blog post that Paul Krugman wrote in the
aftermath of the financial crisis and
the Great Recession that followed and
you know the world was sort of teetering
on this what are we going to do now that
deficits have exploded because the
economy's crashed and when economies
crash deficits automatically increase
governments don't have to actively do
things to push deficits up when the
economy gets weak when the economy gets
weak and people are losing their jobs
their incomes go to zero when your
incomes go to zero your federal income
taxes go they're gonna don't have any
income you don't pay income taxes so
taxes automatically fall off a cliff in
a weak economy and spending to support
the unemployed right and a weak economy
automatically
go up people qualify for programs like
food assistance and unemployment
compensation and housing assistance you
lose your home right so spending goes up
automatically tax receipts go down
automatically the difference between
what the government spends and what it
collects in taxes is the deficit and so
deficits automatically increase in fact
explode because the downturn was so
severe and so people looked at what was
happening including many professional
economists and they said it's time to
panic because deficits have widened and
this is a bad thing right we must begin
to rein in the deficit so actively
taking steps to try to balance the
budget how cutting government spending
raising taxes what's the word that got
used all the time
austerity I heard someone say it right
so attempting to force your economy to
balance your budget you see what I did
forcing the economy to balance the
budget instead of allowing the ax-cut
to rebalance the broken economy okay and
allowing those deficits to not only
emerge but may be actively driving them
up and maybe that would have been a good
thing and most professional economists
today in the u.s. I think agree that
deficits that were run during the Great
Recession were too small that in fact
they should have been larger that had
they been larger the economy would have
recovered more quickly and that because
we didn't do the right things using the
government's fiscal capacity to help
stabilize and recover the economy we
ended up with years of slow growth
forgone output lost income lost wealth
lost savings jobs that didn't recover
and ultimately President Trump that
happens in part because of the angst and
the insecurities that built up in the
dissatisfaction with the current state
of affairs for millions and millions of
people
ok I'm gonna use the US context here but
obviously this happens elsewhere around
the world then across Europe and you've
lived it so you know this
okay so deficit saved the world mostly
because they automatically happened and
that put a floor under how bad things
were allowed to get but then we turned
against them and we started actively
trying to fight against the deficits
instead of recognizing that those
deficits were doing good things right
there was a positive role that those
deficits played in the broader economy
and we should have allowed them to
increase and expand even further all
right but we didn't do that and why
didn't we do that because of fears about
government deficits about the national
debt beliefs that are deeply entrenched
that deficits are evidence of bad
behavior irresponsible right that in
fact the right thing to do is to try to
push the budget toward balance and so
the debate became here and around the
world one that largely took place
between two views right
you had the deficit hawks do you use
that term here if you're hawkish on the
deficit you are hardcore anti deficit
spending you want the budget balanced
now and always never spend a penny more
than you collect in revenue I'm a
deficit Hawk right I want budgets
balanced immediately and to stay
balanced then there's this other camp
that says well that's a little extreme I
mean sometimes the economy gets weak and
the government needs to do something
pull the fiscal lever cut some taxes
increase some spending and that actually
is a good thing to do yes we agree that
you know over the business cycle we
would like the budget to be balanced but
we're willing to tolerate some deficits
when the economy is weak okay this is
the deficit dove position so austerity
later versus austerity now those are
largely that's how the conversation
played out between these two dominant
positions so what I'm going to suggest
is that there's a third voice that needs
to be elevated and in the past I coined
the phrase that the deficit al
and it's sort of you know made some
headlines front page of the Washington
Post and that sort of stuff people
picked it up and said what the heck is a
deficit owl and I said well you need a
new bird in this aviary because these
other Dodos right are getting us bad
policy so what is the deficit owl see
that the Hawks and the doves are missing
and that's what I want to try to build
on in the conversation that will follow
so my argument what owls are supposed to
be wise right they can see things that
the other birds are missing because
their little heads go all the way around
they can see in the dark
right so there are advantages there are
things that the others are missing that
I think needs to be part of the
conversation so I want to move forward
with that because my position is that
fiscal policy is not something that you
reach for you know break glass in case
of emergency then we use fiscal policy
but in in normal times we rely on
central bank's to steer the economy my
view is that that's not the right way to
do policy that fiscal policy should be a
permanent tool in the toolkit and that
we ought to calibrate the government's
budget to deliver mission-oriented
spending goals right so figure out what
it is you want to do in your economy set
goals make them transparent have mission
oriented budgeting and then draft a
budget that will allow you to achieve
those goals so you're using the budget
to balance broader conditions in the
economy instead of trying to force your
economy to balance your budget yes okay
let's do it
so here's where the conversation breaks
down somebody comes in and says we
should be doing X Y Z in order to
promote a good economy but how are you
gonna pay for it how are you gonna pay
for it and then the record scratches or
you don't know record players because
they're sold by the needle on the record
player and that's it the conversation
stops and this is what happens here and
elsewhere around the world we want to do
all of these things their mission
oriented goals how are you going to pay
for
right what's behind the question behind
the question is a belief that the
government needs to find the money that
it must somehow come up with money in
order to fund programs okay so we have
to talk about this is this the right way
to begin with this question about money
and how governments finance things I
argue no and so I want to move us beyond
starting with this question which is the
question we always begin with okay here
is the problem this is a short video the
sound works we checked it but for the
next couple of minutes you're going to
listen to this and then we'll talk about
it taking money from our children and
borrowing from China take out a credit
card from the Bank of China in the name
of our children
driving up our national debt that we are
gonna have to pay back that's
irresponsible
it's unpatriotic the government's
irresponsible spending is turning us
into slaves you might well literally
lock us into chains at least our
children we've got to deal with this big
long-term debt problem or it will deal
with us and it is a I think it's a I
think it is innocent
I'm asking you join us to stop this
fiscal train room
join us to protect our children from an
inferior standard of living form a
crushing burden of debt and taxes okay I
don't believe in any of the tax cuts I
didn't want axes words I mean we middle
class okay because it you know why and
as we discuss deficit reduction which is
clearly a major issue for decades we a
pile deficit upon deficit mortgaging our
future and our children's future the
deficit thing is real and the debt thing
is real we are really in trouble wanted
it something's there need for
comprehensive deficit reduction the
answer is not only yes but hell yes
hangs over our head a government that
spends more money than it takes you in
that's not sustainable no you cannot cut
taxes or increase spending unless you
can pay for it the math of federal
spending does not add up and we are
spending money we do not have a debt
burden that that's crushing us to me
this is more of a moral issue you can't
steal from your kids in grandkids we
think the deficit and the national debt
all right Amaro what national debt is
America's biggest problem does it sound
familiar does doesn't it so if you
notice this video what you saw is a
bipartisan chorus they literally finish
each other's sentences right and the way
the video is put together it goes
Democrat Republican Democrat Republican
Democrat Republican which is to say
they're all singing from the same hymn
book right they're preaching the same
gospel about the dangers the risks of
government spending more than they take
in running deficits piling debt upon
debt upon debt the morality play right
burdening future generations it's not
fair to our kids and grandkids the bit
you missed where references from
President Obama about borrowing from
China so we have discussions about this
being a national security threat a
threat to future generations a threat to
our standard of living I mean my god
right this is a disaster fee that's a
word I made up but here's the problem
all right so this is what we're
up against but this this is so old right
at some point if this was right don't
you think there would have been a
disaster by now okay this is a cartoon
from 1937 as far back as I can find but
I'm sure you would find similar cartoons
if I could get back a little earlier but
1937 and what are they complaining about
ha ha ha 36 billion look at all those
zeros right at the top if we stack them
on end they would be as high as you know
a skyscraper or whatever right meaning
to scare people about the national debt
this is 1937 go through to the 1940s now
we enter World War 2 and the debt begins
to increase okay so here we are look Oh
billions and deficit billions of dead no
problem here we are forty-nine billion
and out here is 65 billion they're
saying don't worry the water's fine come
on in as if it's a joke right this all
of this debt it's a disaster now move to
the 1980s Ronald Reagan Reagan massive
tax cuts massive buildup of military
defense spending deficits increase the
national debt almost triples and at the
end of Reagan's tenure as president the
cartoons say let's build a monument to
the Reagan presidency 1.5 trillion is
where the national debt is because of
Reagan alright again here are more
cartoons up to three trillion by the
time Clinton leaves office it's five
point seven trillion then it goes to
seven and a half oh please give to the
poor United States we are in debt help
us ten trillion and Counting thirteen
trillion again with all the zeroes the
poor child right watching the TV finding
their share of the national debt is
$45,000 as it climbs to 14 trillion 15
trillion a monster eating through the US
of A right 16 trillion 17 trillion
kicking the can down the curb both
parties rolling this massive debt over
future generations now we are
interstellar in the size of the national
debt at 18 trillion it
even fit on the planet anymore it has
grown so large 19 trillion it's a cancer
right a cancer 20 trillion the Titanic
it's the iceberg ahead it's inevitable
it's gonna end in disaster
21 trillion and where we are in the u.s.
any minute now
literally we're gonna hit 22 trillion
okay what am I saying I'm saying for a
hundred years and actually it's longer
someone has been crying about the
national debt and how the end is near
and how it's a crisis it is always a
crisis no matter what size it is the end
is always near the sky is always falling
it's always an imminent threat an
imminent threat so what I try to do is
to provide some perspective to get us to
contextualize things to open the other
eye right because it's like we go
through this analysis with one eye open
and the other eye closed we got to see
the other side of the balance sheet we
have to put this deficit in this
national debt in some meaningful context
instead of just reacting to numbers
right it's just a number maybe it's a
negative number and we all suffer from
mega mega numa phobia that's the fear of
very large negative numbers right we got
to get beyond that okay so I want to get
us to a point where we can pick up the
newspaper read a headline that says the
government debt is at an all-time high
and be like okay that seems fine okay so
how do we get there how do we have a
different conversation it requires a
paradigm shift it does we have to change
the way we're talking about and thinking
about some things the biggest mistake is
the tendency to think of the
government's finances as similar to our
own right to liken the government's
budget to our individual household
budget that's where all the problems
begin because we all know at a personal
level that we couldn't go on spending
more than we take in
year after year borrowing increasing our
debt and expect things to turn out well
for us as people okay that won't end
well it wouldn't end well for a business
it wouldn't end well for us
but we then say therefore it must be the
case that it can't work for the federal
government either right because their
budget is like our budget it is not like
our budget and the biggest difference
between them and us
is that they are the issuer of the
currency and the rest of us are merely
users of the currency you all are using
the British pound but the British
government issues the British pound
where else could it come from in the US
I used the dollar but the federal
government in the United States issues
the US dollar doesn't come from China
right it can only come in fact the
government gives itself the exclusive
right to create the currency if I try to
make it in my basement or my garage it's
called counterfeiting and they go to
jail right it is not legal for me to
create the US dollar only the US
government has that right okay call it a
super patent so because they issue the
currency they can't go broke like a
household or private business there's a
fundamental difference here so in the
time that remains which is how much time
okay in the time that remains I'm I'm
gonna tackle five questions I'm going to
try to do it in about five minutes each
but I'll speed up in the interest of
time okay so these are the five
questions that I want to tackle first
most people who have a visceral reaction
to the idea of government's running
budget deficits can I tell you what the
deficit is they don't even understand
the deficit they just don't like the
word the the word itself has a
connotation that's negative right
deficit I'm out of something I'm short
something it's there's a negative
connotation let's talk about what the
deficit really is and the same thing
with the debt there's a negative
connotation people don't believe that
debt could be good debt can only be one
thing risky bad right dangerous so I've
talked about that the idea that we're
dependent upon foreign interests right
that makes us feel nervous and anxious
and vulnerable the idea that what if you
know China refuses to lend US dollars
and they close the dollar window and
then we can't spend any more because
they won't let us have
dollars we got to talk about that do we
eventually have to pay it back though I
mean surely we can't just have debt
forever eventually you have to pay it
off right that's what people say talk
about that and then the last question is
the one that opens up all of those
possibilities all the space where we can
have I think a much better much more
useful debate about government policy
when we talk about in real terms what it
is we can afford we get away from all
the obsession with money and deficits
okay so first what is a government
deficit let's say for example the
government spends 10 into the economy so
let's let that happen here's the
government spending 10 into the economy
now since we're here in the UK and we're
not using these little dollars we're
using pounds okay so I'm going to play
the role of government and did I do this
right so if I make 10 minis 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 ok
these are pounds I'm playing the role of
the British government they asked me not
to do that so I'm not walking in front
of that screen I'm going around the
screen I'm spending 10 into the British
economy that's you guys you're all the
households you're all the private
businesses you're the British economy
now I've spent 10 into the economy as
government all right
you have 10 but now I'm going to tax you
you see so suppose i erase taxes and i
collect four of those back so now i've
collected taxes so what have I done I
spent more into the economy than I taxed
back out I ran a deficit you're also
you're whispering it I ran a deficit I
did this very horrible thing called
deficit spending what do you have Oh
where'd you get those my deficit is your
what say it with me surplus my deficit
is your surplus how about that right
what would have happened if I balanced
my budget what would have happened if I
spent ten in
and then I taxed 10 back out you would
have nothing nothing but because I ran a
budget deficit you get the mirror image
of that you get those six okay so I'm
gonna record minus six on my books cuz
I'm government but you get to record a
plus six on your books
not bad huh pretty good deal now you
might say hang on
what was that spending for that's a good
question
was it aimed at improving material
well-being for people in the British
economy or did it go to the fat cats and
though you know did it widen an
exacerbate income and wealth inequality
did it do something useful to promote
longer term growth by greening of the
economy whatever it is that your
missions are those are important
questions but one thing is for sure
somebody got made better off in
financial terms because of my deficit
who gets it and what the spending was
about that matters okay but the bottom
line is somebody ended up with a
financial surplus they wouldn't have had
but for my deficit so you all use the
term what did we say not red ink in the
red right government's in the red
government's in the red government's in
the red we got to stop that well but
when they're in the red you're in the
black because they're deficits are your
surpluses so in the US we use a phrase
red ink so they're red ink is our black
ink this is actual data for the u.s. the
government's budget balance is here in
red the private sector is in black and
you can see how they move opposite to
one another okay so this is an important
point that gets missed because we go
through with one eye closed only looking
at what's happening to the government's
balance sheet without paying attention
to what's happening to the non
government's balance sheet and that's
where we are right we're in the
non-government part of the economy so
those deficits that exploded when the
economy got weak during the Great
Recession 10 percent 11 percent of u.s.
GDP massive deficits this caused
hysteria
because people saw these massive
deficits right diving down into negative
but they didn't pay attention to the
huge surpluses they were producing in
the rest of the economy and that's what
allowed the economy to recover people
accumulated financial balances that
helped them recover their incomes pay
down debt right restore their balance
sheets so there were good deficits they
were useful they were necessary so here
we are in the u.s. today the Republicans
just passed some of the biggest tax cuts
in US history people are beginning to
panic because those tax cuts are
projected to increase budget deficits so
now we're looking at the possibility of
trillion-dollar deficits annual budget
deficits in the future years right and
so headlines like this in The Wall
Street Journal
y trillion dollar deficits could be the
new normal
now people read a headline like that and
they get nervous trillion dollar
deficits but what if we just rewrite
that headline and we report the same
information but we give it to you from
your balance sheet position instead of
from the government so what am I going
to do watch that word deficit you see
that I'm reporting the same information
so now the headline reads why trillion
dollar surplus is could be the new
normal now you read that headline and
say all right let's have some trillion
dollar surplus is right that sounds fine
to me
and it could be fine okay but it's just
about perspective so depending on where
you stand a thing can look like one
thing or it can look like another thing
if you're standing looking at it from
the perspective of the government it
looks like a deficit you turn around and
look at it from another angle looks like
a surplus right it's about perspective
all right so let's talk about the
national debt what is the national debt
the deficit is the annual difference
between what the government spends into
the economy and what it taxes back out
that's the deficit the national debt is
something different people often
conflate them
so what is
the national debt let's start by
remembering where those six came from
all right whenever I run a deficit as
government I borrow all right there is
something called a borrowing operation
that accompanies deficit spending so I
put a hundred in well in this case ten I
taxed for back out
I left six behind my deficit was six so
now I say okay I ran a deficit of six so
I have to auction off bonds Treasury's
fine so I got a see if anybody wants six
of these right here so I'm gonna hold
them up now the cool thing about these
is that they are government promissory
notes but they pay interest you see and
those don't okay so I say would anyone
like to swap some of their non-interest
bearing currency for some of this cool
stuff by these Treasury notes and sure
enough there are always people
scrambling in fact there are never
enough of these to go around the
auctions are always oversubscribed there
are more people bidding for these than I
have available so you're gonna give me
these six and I'm gonna give you no this
is voluntary I don't have to do this
right but when I run a deficit by
practice I make a swap and I offer
Treasury securities and that's what the
national debt is so now you're holding
six big pink papers instead of six
little pink papers that's all the
borrowing is that's all the national
debt is so a way to describe the
national debt is to say the national
debt is the money that was spent into
the economy and not taxed back that is
currently being saved in the form of
Treasuries that's all the national debt
is it saved your savings it's an
investment vehicle that gives you a way
to save
for US dollars in the form of a
financial asset that pays you a little
bit of interest over time yeah that's
all the national debt is the dollars or
the pounds spent into the economy not
taxed back currently being saved in the
form of Treasuries okay so we have this
thing I don't know if you have one but
many years ago I think a billionaire
paid to put this debt clock up in Times
Square in New York City so this huge
clock that ran in real time tick tick
tick tick the numbers would change and
it kept track of the national debt I
right there in Times Square prime real
estate to remind everyone so that when
you're walking around trying to be happy
and see a Broadway show you have to walk
by this daunting clock that's reminding
you of the monster right that's growing
and will eat your children at one point
so we had this debt clock and it's meant
to scare people right big numbers so now
that we know what the national debt is
we can take that debt clock and just
rename it so watch the name here
it just becomes a savings clock doesn't
that sound better if we don't call it
the national debt clock and we just call
it the US dollar saving clock or the
British Pound saving clock then you can
watch the numbers grow and say oh people
are increasing their you know safe
holding of British pounds I'm okay with
that
right that's all it is so then we have
the China question well what about all
the bonds that are held by the Chinese
and other foreign countries okay surely
that's a problem so let's address that
in the case of the US China holds lots
of US bonds yeah where did they get them
why do they have them they have them
because China has oriented its economy
for many years around export-led growth
they want to make things manufacture
things in China put their people in
factories working and producing stuff
yeah using their time resources energy
talents so forth making stuff
if they don't keep and consume and enjoy
for themselves they put it in a
container and loaded on a ship and ship
it to America in other countries yes and
in exchange they receive what US dollars
a so the real goods and services come in
to the countries they export to and then
they receive payment in the form of
somebody's currency yeah
so what China gets in exchange for their
real goods and services that they
manufactured for us is effectively a
checking account at the Federal Reserve
at our central bank so they get numbers
in a bank account owned by China right
these are your dollars China then does
what you just did they say well I don't
care as much for the pink paper the
light pink
I would prefer some of the dark pink
paper so we debit their checking account
and we credit their securities account
which is a savings account which is US
Treasuries
so China like others can swap
non-interest bearing cash currency for
the interest bearing Treasuries is that
a problem no the only thing we owed
China is a bank statement could it
become a problem yes if you are allowing
domestic unemployment to increase
because jobs and factories are moving
abroad and Americans aren't buying the
goods and services being produced
domestically but instead buying goods
produced by foreign countries then if
you don't do something about it
it could cost you in terms of employment
domestically so it's not that you don't
have to worry at all about trade
imbalances or any of that kind of stuff
but my point is it doesn't matter that
China has these Treasuries it doesn't
mean that we can't service the debt that
somehow this makes us vulnerable that
you know it's a it's a problem for the
US that China owns some of our
securities okay so sometimes people will
say
what if China decides to stop buying
Treasuries what if they decide the idea
being that if China won't buy US
Treasuries then we can't have dollars
and then we can't afford to spend this
is complete nonsense okay remember if
China decided that they don't want to
buy any more US Treasuries what would
that mean well it would probably mean
that China has decided that they don't
want to manufacture and net export to
the US okay so let's say they decide to
keep everything they're making or they
don't want to export to the US what does
that mean that means they're not going
to end up with dollars because if they
don't sell us their stuff they're not
going to get dollars and if they don't
get dollars they're not going to want to
convert them into Treasuries so if China
decides they don't want any more
Treasuries what it's really saying is
China's deciding they don't want to net
export to the US is that a problem
maybe because having access to cheap
imports is a benefit to US consumers
because your dollar goes further if you
can pay less for some of the things that
you're buying right so if China doesn't
want to continue to make things and sell
them inexpensively to American consumers
we either have to find another country
who will step in and do what China has
been doing for us for many years and
make the cheap goods and send them to us
or make them ourselves likely at a
higher price and so it could be
inflationary see so there's the risk
there which is the potential for
inflation which is real a legitimate
thing to worry about but not debt
service right it's not the debt itself
that's the risk so Steve minuchin is our
treasury secretary currently and he was
asked about this are you worried do you
worry that at some point China could
either start dumping Treasuries or
refuse you know lose interest in buying
them and he said I'm not losing any
sleep over it that was his response and
I think that's the correct one so we've
dealt with that all right
mostly what they
is about is politics it's not about
economics these debates that we have
about the national debt and deficits
that you saw two sides right beating
each other up over this issue it's a
political crud jewel it's a it's a
useful rhetorical weapon when you're
running against someone to say your
party drove up the deficit and added to
the national debt and so vote for us and
will not do that and we'll fix it and
then that party gets elected and then
inevitably they run deficits and the
debt goes up and then the other party
goes you were fiscally irresponsible
vote for us it will fix it and it just
goes back and forth right it's political
it's politically convenient so one of my
favorite things to do when I was working
on the hill in the Senate was to ask
members of Congress and staffers if you
had a magic wand and you could wave that
magic wand and eliminate the entire
national debt would be gone tomorrow 22
trillion now remember make it all go
away just with the wave of a wand would
you do it what do you think they said
what do you think they said heck yeah
wave that wand make it go away say okay
so you're enthusiastic about it paying
off or eliminating the death what if I
give you different wand and I say if you
want to wave this wand you can eradicate
the world of US Treasuries no more
Treasury securities anywhere in the
world they're not in pensions portfolios
you know they're just gone
would you wave the wand what do you
think they said so you say no and some
said no and some set home like I don't
understand the question and then I would
say that's okay you already answered it
you see the problem you do because you
found the humor in this right what's the
problem with the answer if they say yes
to the first question and no to the
second what's the problem
it's the same question how is it the
same question
because the entire outstanding national
debt is nothing more than all of those
safe assets that are being held in the
form of US Treasuries so you can
eliminate the debt without eliminating
the most important financial instrument
in the global financial system the most
important US Treasuries they wouldn't
exist so ya got a problem if your aim is
to pay off the debt or eliminate the
debt and also keep the Treasuries okay
so let's talk about historically what
has happened because we've actually
tried this before paying down or paying
off the debt there have been seven
periods in the entire history of the
United States of America seven periods
where the government's budget moved into
surplus and when the government is in
surplus it means it's taking more money
out of the economy collecting more than
its spending back in right so now I take
out ten but I only put four back in so I
have a surplus of six you have a deficit
of six so once I begin running surpluses
then I begin retiring the debt so we
start paying down the debt so from
eighteen seventeen to eighteen
twenty-one the government's budget moved
into surplus and we began to pay down
the national debt what happened a
depression started in 1819 not a
recession a full-on depression then we
did it again and this time under Andrew
Jackson the only time the US ever paid
off the national debt was under
President Andrew Jackson in 1835 we've
zeroed it out and what happened a
Depression started in 1837 we had
surpluses again began paying down the
debt you see the pattern depression
depression depression depression and
then we did it under Bill Clinton okay
1998 99 2000 2001 four consecutive years
the US budget moved into surplus for the
first time
in generations we had budget surpluses
and they were celebrated because fiscal
responsibility has been restored to
Washington the government's budget was
in surplus and we started to pay down
the national debt and what happened the
Great Recession followed hey so why why
is something that sounds so good
collecting not spending more than you
take in running a surplus paying down
your debt if we were doing that that
would be judicious right it would be a
good thing to do why does it end so
badly every single time the federal
government does it and the answer is
here this is actual data for the u.s.
going back to the 1950s what you notice
about this image is that it is a perfect
mirror image if you fold the graph from
the bottom to the top it will collapse
entirely to the zero o
axis right to the horizontal axis it
does it all collapses into one why
because it is showing the financial
balances of each of the different parts
of the economy and so let me explain
this is the government in red this is
the private sector I had all of you guys
in blue and green is everything outside
the domestic economy so the whole rest
of the world okay so what it means is
again if I'm government and I spend more
than I collect I put one in I put two in
the economy but I only take one back out
then you guys have one yeah
so my deficit shows up as your surplus
and that's what happens here okay
so for a period of time in the early
period in the 50s 60s and into the 70s
the US was a net exporter we
manufactured and sold more to the rest
of the world in dollar terms then they
sold to us so we were running trade
surpluses the rest of the world was
running trade deficits against us
so the green below zero there is a
deficit being supplied by the rest of
the world if you add their deficits the
rest of the world to the deficits I'm
running as government together our
deficits produce your surplus right so
add the red and green and the mirror is
the blue move forward in time what
happens our trade surpluses disappear
now the u.s. runs trade deficits okay so
the rest of the world has the surplus
they're above zero if the government's
budget is not in deficit and if those
deficits aren't big enough it is going
to leave the US private sector below
zero so that is what happens let's say
here well no here that's what happens
here the rest of the world is running
these huge trade surpluses the
government's deficit is too small it's
too small and it leaves the private
sector still in negative territory okay
but as the government's deficits get big
enough they more than compensate for the
rest of the world taking more dollars
out of the economy than they're putting
in and that pushes the private sector
into its proper state of surplus so look
quickly here the little red bit right
here those are the Clinton surpluses so
Clinton the government's budget goes
into surplus so the government is going
like this more than it's going like this
at the same time as the rest of the
world is taking more dollars out of the
u.s. than they're putting in so the
government's surplus together with the
rest of the world's surpluses produce
massive deficits for the US private
sector so it's the private sector for
the first time you can see in
generations the US private sector
largely the household sector begins
spending more than its income how long
can
households users of currency survive in
deficit position not a long time right
because it's done largely through taking
on more debt that's what happened here
okay but the government mostly lives in
deficit and survives just fine that way
because again it's issuer of the
currency so the rules are different
right one of us can is sustainable it's
sustainable when one of us spends more
than we take in but not for the other
one okay so now the last bit what can we
afford here's the way we think about it
we think that government budgeting works
like this the government goes out
collects taxes borrows has money and
then spends money the order of
operations that we believe is that first
they collect all the money then they
spent yes so the question is always who
is going to pick up the tab how are you
gonna pay for it where will the money
come from
right tabs that's our mental frame this
is not the way to think about it right
because then we all get obsessed with
who's going to pay for it
where you're gonna get the money whose
taxes are going up how are you gonna
finance how are you gonna pay for who's
gonna pick up the tab and so somebody
comes along with a big ambitious agenda
make public colleges and universities
tuition-free healthcare for all
infrastructure all this kind of stuff
and they said we should be doing all
these things right which is what he said
and this is from her memoir her book
after the presidential race and there's
this little bit in there where she says
you know running against Bernie Sanders
was like we would say let's do this and
he would say let's do this you know she
always went she said he was always going
bigger and it was really frustrating and
we were like you know how are you gonna
pay for your pony Bernie
so the pony is a metaphor for what
big ambitious spending programs that's
the metaphor how are you gonna pay for
your pony
and he said well we can make public
colleges and universities tuition-free
with a tax on Wall Street speculation I
mean the economics we call it a
financial transactions tax or a Tobin
tax so we'll raise the money through a
tax and then we'll be able to spend the
money okay so he's playing in that tabs
framework
he said infrastructure let's say how are
you gonna pay for it or healthcare well
well the infrastructure works better the
billionaire's will pay for it right
we'll have a tax on wealth or something
else right we'll go where the money is
and we'll raise the money there look
this is what happens when you believe
that the government is like a household
and it has to find the money in order to
fund itself that it first has to go find
money so your Prime Minister said
famously there is no magic money tree
right it's not like the money can just
come from nowhere you have to find it
has to come from somewhere so in a case
of Donald Trump of course we had this
wall issue and he promised that we were
gonna get a wall paid for by Mexico I
look how much problem this has created
for him if he had just started off
saying we're gonna have a wall and the
government's gonna pay for the wall it
would have been a different conversation
right for him but he stuck with this
Mexico was supposed to pay for it kind
of thing and so anyway the debate that
we should be having is completely
different and if we had more time I
would play this little video clip where
Alan Greenspan who was the chairman of
the Federal Reserve a few times ago laid
this out beautifully and he explained in
his words that there's nothing to
prevent the federal government from
creating as much money as it wants and
paying it to someone that is a direct
quote from Alan Greenspan under oath
giving testimony in Congress okay
what he's saying is is there's this
fight over Social Security and there's
belief that governments can't keep their
promises to future retirees their
dependents the disabled because where
are we going to come up with the money
and Greenspan said no that's not the
right question we're gonna always come
up with the money issue or the currency
I here's Fed chair
he knows this stuff the question is he
says how do you make sure that if you
send those checks out to future retirees
that when they get the money they're
going to be able to spend it in an
economy that's productive enough that
even with fewer people working and more
people retired and therefore not
contributing to the production of stuff
you'll be able to spend that money into
an economy that's producing enough that
you don't get what problem inflation
it's all about inflation that's what he
says it's not about the financing it's
not about affordability it's always
about real resource constraints and the
inflation constraints this is what
Greenspan argued this is the debate we
should be having but we aren't having
last couple of points we will sometimes
refer to the u.s. as are you an Arsenal
fan I thought so so I had to a search
for a scoreboard where they were in the
lead
but I found one so so look we will
sometimes say the US government is the
scorekeeper for the US dollar this is
all digital payments so when Congress
authorizes a budget that provides the
spending it's just the votes if they
vote for it they pass a budget and the
president signs it the spending has been
authorized and the money is there
the feds job as the fiscal agent of the
government is to clear all the payments
is to make the payments on behalf of
government the Federal Reserve does not
bounce government checks its job is not
to bounce the government's checks but to
clear them okay so the Fed will clear
any payment that is authorized by
Congress how they use the keyboard at
the New York Fed and they change numbers
in people's accounts if you sell to
government if you're Lockheed Martin or
Boeing and you get a big contract and
government makes a purchase from you you
get a payment they don't send you cash
in like pallets of cash they make a
digital entry and your bank account
increases right by the size of whatever
it is the government has agreed to
purchase government is the scorekeeper
for the dollar here the government is a
scorekeeper for the british pound right
you don't go to a sporting event and see
your favorite teams competing scoring
point after point after point and you're
sitting there in the stands going oh my
god I hope they don't score again where
are they gonna come up with the points
they're gonna run out of points no one
ever would worry that the score keeper
is gonna run out of points the score
keeper can't run out of points the
government can't run out of dollars or
pounds right they issue them so how it
really works and this is the end is that
the government spends first like I did I
pass a budget the authorization has
given I begin spending into the economy
spending comes first you can't pay your
taxes to me or buy Treasuries for me
until you first get what the money might
I have to spend it in before you can
have it
so the spending comes first the taxing
and the borrowing are secondary
operations and so this pushes us now to
space where we can have a completely
different debate because we don't have
to ask the money question where will the
money come from it comes from the
budgetary authorization in your case
Parliament authorizes the spending so
that's where the money comes from if we
understood that we would have far more
productive and interesting and important
debate about how to muster the resources
in the British economy like what do we
want to do what problems do we want to
address and solve what are our missions
what are the goals how should we use the
budget to carry those out and so that's
the last slide it's all about you know
can can you do you have enough real
resources available that you can hire
them right it's a money tree it's a real
resource tree how do you employ the
resources you have and direct them in a
mission oriented way to solving real
problems so that's in your web
[Applause]
英語 (自動生成)

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿