2020年12月11日金曜日
sub Lavoie
文字起こし
00:00
hello and welcome to new economic
00:01
thinking I'm here this afternoon with
00:03
Professor Marc love wah professor of
00:05
economics at the University of Ottawa
00:06
and a friend Marc it's good to see you
00:09
yes I've I wanted to have you on your
00:12
new economics textbook has come out the
00:15
post came post-keynesian economics new
00:17
foundations there have been a lot of
00:19
things that have been discredited in the
00:22
wake of the 2008 crisis including the
00:24
way we teach economics so this new book
00:27
is a welcome addition hopefully it will
00:29
change the way we think about economics
00:31
and the way we teach it what do you
00:33
think is the main difference between
00:35
your book and a shall we say a
00:37
mainstream economics textbook that we
00:40
might be seeing in most universities
00:41
those days well first it starts with
00:43
methodology in which you don't see too
00:46
often in the usual mainstream mainstream
00:50
books in a sense it tries to cover both
00:54
microeconomics and macroeconomics so
00:57
from that point of view it's not that
00:59
different but it deals with ideas that
01:03
are different for instance there's
01:06
there's a big discussion about what is
01:09
fundamental or radical uncertainty try
01:13
to explain the difference from risk
01:15
which can be can be measured with
01:18
probabilities then it has a different
01:21
picture of the firm and the firm is seen
01:25
as something that looks that is looking
01:29
more for growth rather than profits that
01:31
is looking more for power and growth is
01:34
the means to acquire that power so
01:37
there's a political economy dimension
01:39
which is actually neglected in economics
01:41
there's a notion that somehow you can
01:43
detach politics we make no ones which i
01:45
think is about as realistic as detaching
01:47
numbers from arithmetic it's a good way
01:49
to put it but I I wanted to get back to
01:53
these some of the ideas you've
01:54
introduced see the the radical
01:56
uncertainty notion because economics has
01:59
had a hard time dealing with that and in
02:01
many respects has made assumptions about
02:04
radical uncertainty which other
02:06
disciplines such as neuroscience and
02:09
psychology have disproved interestingly
02:11
enough the pre
02:13
Samuelsson economists notably Keynes I
02:15
think we're much more comfortable
02:17
dealing with the notion of radical
02:18
uncertainty and animal spirits for
02:20
example well yes and the standard
02:23
textbook assumes that people have
02:25
so-called rational expectations but I
02:28
would say the the worst in those books
02:30
is that not only do they assume that but
02:33
they assume that everybody knows exactly
02:35
how the economy functions and they
02:38
assume that everybody has the same
02:41
assumptions about how the economy
02:42
functions whereas in reality that's now
02:47
how people don't know exactly how the
02:49
economy functions you just look at what
02:52
happens to your neighbor or you are you
02:55
look at what happens to your sales and
02:57
adaptive expectations come into play
03:00
which was of course a key inside of
03:01
Minsky exactly and and then you you try
03:06
to you try to refer to your inventories
03:12
you you know so you look at your own
03:17
situation you don't assume that you know
03:20
exactly what's going on in the future
03:21
and what does that mean in terms of how
03:24
you teach economics if you given the
03:29
realities of radical uncertainty I mean
03:31
you always discussed it in the book so
03:33
well I would say that most people the
03:37
way I teach economics I'm not that quite
03:39
sure I teach economics I think in the
03:41
same way as others I'm using models I'm
03:43
using some equations it's just that the
03:47
assumptions will be different I dare say
03:51
that I hope that what I teach is more
03:54
realistic than what many of my
03:58
neoclassical colleagues would teach one
04:00
thing I've noticed and I've read a
04:02
number of your papers I learned a lot
04:05
from them in your particularly I've
04:08
found in your discussions of money and
04:10
banking you take a strongly
04:12
institutional approach by that I mean I
04:14
think you you look at reality you look
04:16
the way things are actually are grounded
04:18
and you construct models on them on the
04:20
basis of that when I was doing macro
04:23
economics 101 for example
04:25
you know we have the the idealized model
04:27
of the fractional reserve system and
04:30
loans can float out of that system and
04:33
then you have this little thing called
04:34
finance which was like a footnote well
04:37
nowadays of course about 75% of all
04:40
credit into mediations done through
04:42
financial as opposed to traditional
04:44
banking channels and I think the the
04:47
bank model that is described in the
04:49
economics textbook is inaccurate you
04:51
describe a model which i think is much
04:53
more accurately the so called overdraft
04:55
economy as opposed to the fractional
04:57
reserve model of economy so you want to
05:00
elaborate on that a little bit well I
05:05
think that perhaps the the part of the
05:07
book which is has the most institutional
05:10
content is the part that describes how
05:13
the central banks relate with the
05:15
government's and how the central banks
05:17
relate with the banking system I
05:20
wouldn't dare to say that I managed to
05:23
explain the so called shadow banking
05:25
system as well as someone like Aaron
05:28
Merlin for instance but you do talk
05:30
about for example the concept of
05:32
horizontal and vertical money which i
05:33
think is an important insight well
05:36
that's exactly I there's a bit of fair
05:40
discussion I think for the links between
05:43
the payment system declaring a
05:46
settlement system its links with the
05:48
central bank and its links with the
05:51
government and I think this is essential
05:53
in in the understanding how the central
05:56
bank manages to set rates of interest
06:00
and also on the other hand how banks or
06:03
the financial system at large is
06:05
relatively independent from the central
06:08
bank in deciding on the amount of
06:11
credits and money deposits that it will
06:14
create in the economy whereas the
06:16
standard story is that the central bank
06:19
somehow sets the level of reserves and
06:22
that this determines the amount of
06:24
monetary aggregates in the economy and
06:26
so remember you're doing a presentation
06:28
in Toronto a few years ago and you use
06:30
the example of the great financial
06:33
crisis of 2008 to precisely show but the
06:36
traditional models were
06:38
or incorrect because of course them the
06:40
banks weren't that central banks weren't
06:42
really setting a reserve rate in the way
06:44
that the textbook subscribe well yes the
06:47
the crisis gave rise to a lot of changes
06:50
in the standard thinking about how
06:55
monetary policy is being implemented and
06:57
how this deposit credit reserve nexus
07:02
works out but even us from the
07:04
post-keynesian point of view we had to
07:06
slightly modify our views for instance
07:09
we used to say that it's the amount of
07:12
credits that generates the exact amount
07:15
of reserves in the system so the
07:17
causality was going straightforwardly
07:20
from credits to deposits to central bank
07:23
reserves now with quantitative easing
07:28
and all that we discovered that well if
07:31
the central bank is giving itself a rate
07:35
of interest which is at the floor of its
07:38
corridor then the central bank is able
07:41
to set whatever amount of reserves in
07:44
the system that it wants and still be
07:46
able to control the rate of interest
07:48
right now maybe it's not so obvious
07:50
because as you know the federal funds
07:53
rate or the overnight rate in many
07:55
countries is next to zero but I'm sure
07:59
you know you know maybe in a couple of
08:01
years or in a few months
08:03
the Fed or whatever other central bank
08:06
will start raising the target rate of
08:09
interest and I believe in others in
08:12
central banks believe that they will be
08:15
able to do so despite keeping their very
08:19
large balance sheet yes and in fact them
08:23
there's a lot of people as you point out
08:25
very early on among some who say that
08:27
now that you've got this new
08:30
institutionalized structure recognized
08:33
you know the central bank as some dealer
08:35
or counterparties last resort that the
08:39
idea that were somehow going to shrink
08:41
the balance sheets and go back to the
08:42
way things were before is probably
08:44
unrealistic and I'm not even sure it's
08:46
desirable
08:47
well I don't even think that it's they
08:49
need to do it so there's nobody just
08:53
drink I don't think I don't think so
08:55
they don't need and on the other hand it
08:57
will also be helpful for the government
09:00
because all these bonds government bonds
09:03
or guarantee securities that the central
09:05
bank is holding well ditch this means
09:08
that it's less it's a smaller amount of
09:11
interest payments that the government
09:13
has to make to rent ears so this is
09:16
helping the government to have a smaller
09:20
deficit so the euthanasia of the rentier
09:24
might be a Keynesian prediction I want
09:28
to change topics just a little bit you
09:30
did some work with the late great wind
09:32
oddly on sectoral balances I've often
09:36
thought that if the Europeans in
09:39
particular or the the people help this
09:41
one of mana Michael maniacal focus on
09:43
fiscal austerity actually looked at the
09:47
world through this sectoral balances
09:49
frame where we might have a more
09:50
rational policymaking discussion why
09:54
don't you just briefly outline the
09:56
sectoral balanced approach that God that
09:59
because it's so crucial developing well
10:02
the sectoral balanced approach starts
10:05
from the national identities and we just
10:09
rearrange it in a way that well for
10:16
instance we we look at what is the
10:20
balance of the private sector what is
10:24
the financial balance of the government
10:26
sector which is then the government
10:29
surplus or government deficit and what
10:31
is the external balance so that's a good
10:34
radio equipment once we put into the
10:36
current account balance and we know that
10:38
the sum of those three things has to be
10:40
equal to zero but at any given time any
10:44
one of those sectors can run a deficit
10:46
or a surplus product a--they another
10:48
sector is prepared to accommodate it
10:50
exactly so if you make some predictions
10:53
regarding the about the financial
10:56
balance of the private sector
10:58
and you already know what's the
11:00
situation of the order likely situation
11:04
of the external sector then you have a
11:06
good idea of what's going to be the
11:08
deficit or the surplus of the government
11:12
and then if your if your predictions
11:18
about these various things don't add up
11:20
then it means one of your assumptions is
11:23
wrong and I think it's a if we had
11:25
looked at national economies more on
11:29
that sort of a framework before 2008 we
11:31
might have had been able to get to grips
11:33
with the the problems that we
11:36
subsequently experienced for for example
11:39
countries like Spain and Ireland for
11:42
example had very good good is probably
11:46
problem were to use but they think they
11:47
their public sector balance were roughly
11:50
he's doing with their public levels of
11:53
debt were small and so everyone who
11:54
thought would have thought on the
11:55
conventional notion that public property
11:57
is bad that these are great countries
12:00
their models before but there was little
12:03
sensitivity to the huge buildup in
12:05
private sector debt which would have
12:07
been picked up had there been more
12:08
focused on this sectoral balanced
12:10
approach well yes you you know I had
12:13
many discussions about this with wind
12:15
Godley so he was more optimistic than I
12:18
was I must say on the usefulness of
12:22
these balances I mean it's highly useful
12:24
as I said to identify whether or not
12:26
you're making a very bad forecast with
12:28
respect to one of the balances or one of
12:31
the assumptions about economic growth
12:33
and so on his forecasting record would
12:35
suppose remarkably could compared to
12:36
most UK colobus maybe that was a cause
12:40
for his optimism yes people use my
12:43
methodology you know well and it has
12:46
been used by companies like Goldman
12:48
Sachs and it is now generalized I mean
12:52
it's not something that when God Lee
12:53
himself invented because it's a national
12:57
account identity but he's certainly the
13:01
the person who emphasized it most and
13:03
who induced other people to discover it
13:07
and to use it and as I said now in many
13:10
financial offices
13:12
they are using this to better understand
13:15
what's going on let me go back to the
13:18
the textbook and generally the the
13:20
teaching of economics if there is one or
13:24
two things that you felt needed to be
13:26
changed in terms of the way that
13:28
economic students is taught anywhere
13:30
what would they be liking the easy
13:33
questions no not an easy question I well
13:39
I I think that if we're talking about
13:42
macroeconomics I think the the crucial
13:45
issue is whether or not you believe in
13:48
the natural rate of unemployment and
13:50
this is tied in with the belief in the
13:53
existence of a natural rate of interest
13:57
so I I think this is the the crucial
14:00
issue because if you think that there is
14:03
a natural rate of unemployment out there
14:06
that if you ever get away from it if
14:09
your rate of unemployment is too low
14:11
that this will drive up inflation and
14:14
therefore induce the central bank to
14:16
pursue restrictive restrictive economic
14:19
policies then there is nothing to do you
14:23
know if you think that whenever you know
14:28
you will consider that all you want is
14:31
price stability and this is what
14:33
happened during the Great Moderation the
14:36
obsession was with this and this of
14:38
course this is partly the so-called
14:41
nayru area it's very much part of that
14:45
and it's linked with all the rest which
14:47
is that if the rate of unemployment is
14:50
too high it is because workers are
14:55
shirking or don't want to work enough or
14:57
because the tax tax rates are too high
15:00
and in fact we are here in the OECD
15:03
building and this is what the OECD keeps
15:08
telling the the countries for instance
15:11
France right now they say well you need
15:14
to have a more flexible labor market and
15:16
this will help you reduce the rate of
15:19
employment of unemployment but from I
15:22
think you may be inadvertently correct
15:24
first time because in fact usually in
15:26
the absence of any aggregate demand
15:28
improvement see me all these supply-side
15:29
befores will do is effectively create
15:31
more unemployment because you're going
15:33
to be firing workers or making it easier
15:34
to fire work and this is what in the
15:36
book this is what I try to emphasize I
15:38
exercise all these Demian aspects that
15:42
the economy is essentially demand led
15:46
both in the short run which is something
15:49
that most of our New King James
15:51
colleagues or Marxist colleagues would
15:54
agree with like Paul Krugman and so on
15:56
but post-keynesian also believe in argue
16:00
and there's a lot of evidence about this
16:02
now following the crisis that aggregate
16:05
demand also drives the economy in the
16:07
long run for instance it is being
16:11
realized now that potential output is
16:14
much lower you know six years after the
16:17
financial crisis then it was supposed to
16:20
be measured in 2008 and this is because
16:25
aggregate demand has suddenly fallen and
16:29
and and this induces our fall in the
16:32
aggregate supply which is being
16:34
generated so the way to pick it pick it
16:38
back up is to have expansionary policies
16:41
to increase aggregate demand so you
16:45
don't bind the the secular stagnation
16:48
doctrine which has become increasingly
16:50
popular you wouldn't you would argue
16:52
that it it's a it's a function of the
16:54
deficient aggregate demand to a large
16:56
extent well there's a bit of truth in it
16:59
I mean the argument of Summers is that
17:02
there's been a slowdown in population so
17:05
yes you know I would buy that look at
17:09
what happens in Japan there's very
17:12
little growth but on the other hand
17:13
their output per capita has been growing
17:17
so to some extent the low growth in
17:20
Japan is also due to the fact that
17:21
there's no growth in population so you
17:25
know it's it's just that all I'm saying
17:27
is that yeah supply-side factors do have
17:30
an impact like the rate of growth of
17:32
population but aggregate demand
17:35
is a key component of what happens to
17:38
the economy and and this is true also in
17:42
the long run let me ask you what other
17:45
metric we often we use the metric of
17:49
growth in GDP it's been in quite a
17:51
popular metric since the Second World
17:53
War I guess we wanted to measure how
17:54
well how much output we were producing
17:56
to win a war but it wasn't to use very
17:59
commonly in fact I don't think it was
18:01
used at all before that period and I'm
18:05
wondering if that kind of a metric best
18:08
captures what we should be looking at I
18:13
mean there are people like Joe Stiglitz
18:14
for example we're talking about really
18:15
using different kinds of metrics to
18:16
measure overall national prosperity with
18:19
them what are your thoughts I don't have
18:21
much of an opinion on this frankly you
18:26
know no it's not discussed in the book
18:28
and it's a tough
18:31
I mean GDP is you know it's about the
18:34
best as we can is it's an indicator of
18:37
what's going on but yeah for sure it's
18:41
not the optimal indicator that that one
18:45
would wish for but I'm not I'm not so
18:48
sure that we can do much better and and
18:51
and do you think we should be teaching
18:54
economics in a way that helps to embrace
18:56
other for other social sciences for
18:58
example of it given that we have these
19:00
these we gain these move new insights
19:02
but uncertainty for example from
19:05
neurosciences in psychology is one
19:07
example oh well yeah I mean we can
19:11
always benefit a bit from the other
19:13
sciences but I must admit that in the
19:16
book there's not that I mean the purpose
19:18
of the book was to give to you know
19:23
students PhD students or fourth-year
19:26
students give them an idea of what this
19:29
alternative called post-keynesian
19:30
economics look like because you know
19:33
today people look search on on the web
19:37
they get some indications they hear
19:39
about it in particular through modern
19:41
monetary theory but they they don't you
19:45
know they need something
19:46
who puts it all together and that was
19:49
the purpose of the book the purpose of
19:51
the book was to to give a survey of what
19:54
is post-keynesian economics today
19:57
because I had done it 20 years earlier
19:59
but of course a lot has changed over the
20:02
last 20 years and has the book gained
20:05
reasonably good acceptance in academic
20:08
circles it's likely to be reflected in
20:11
the curriculum of many well in the
20:16
curricula of departments that have some
20:19
heterodox courses I with the University
20:22
of Ottawa or others but yeah the book I
20:28
think it is successful because it's
20:30
already in a paperback version which is
20:34
a good sign it means that it is selling
20:36
well enough no I don't think so it's
20:43
well look III have i have read parts of
20:47
the book and i've also benefitted from
20:49
your teaching for many many years
20:52
Thank You Marshall I just want to thank
20:55
you for coming to be with us today and I
20:58
do hope that more people do embrace this
21:00
type of teaching in because I think it's
21:01
in table 2 new economic thinking
21:03
self-love well thanks very much for
21:04
being with me today Thank You Marshall
21:06
hurricane
英語 (自動生成)
登録:
コメントの投稿 (Atom)
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿