2021年10月31日日曜日

マルクスとヘーゲル 部分 2021/05/22 キーン Macro N Cheese: What Marx Got Wrong with Steve Keen


https://love-and-theft-2014.blogspot.com/2021/10/20210522-macro-n-cheese-what-marx-got.html

https://love-and-theft-2014.blogspot.com/2021/10/20210522n.html

2021/05/22 キーン Macro N Cheese: What Marx Got Wrong with Steve Keen


What Marx Got Wrong with Steve Keen
Macro N Cheese #121

Steve Keen believes Marx contradicted himself. Maybe socialist revolution isn't inevitable after all? You don't need to have studied the labor theory of value to listen to this episode, but you may want to after you've heard it.
https://podcasts.apple.com/jp/podcast/macro-n-cheese/id1453085489?i=1000522747653
https://youtu.be/Vwavxl-w_Z4

[00:11:27.200] – Keen
So, and he could be incredibly tedious in pulling apart in forensic detail government reports at the time reporting into the state of the working class in England and a whole range of other issues. And there were parts of Capital which are just tedious to read through because it will be 40 or 50 pages of Marx dissecting a report from 1858 about the state of the working class in the United Kingdom as published in the parliamentary report.
So and there will be parts where it's dreary beyond belief and other points about splashing insights. I mean wonderful, wonderful scatological prose. So if you're able to read, then you can understand Marx, but you have to be able to read a gigantic intellect who can focus upon trivia at various times. But at the same time, there are flashes of great insight. And Marx also read all the classical economists himself.
He read everybody from Catillon forward. He read Petie. So he was a historian of economic thought, first and foremost. And that means you can actually read him without reading the others beforehand. But of course, it helps to read them too. So I am doing my master's degree treaded full time while being a full-time member of staff, I might add. So I got a teaching job at a university full time, not tenured, unfortunately, that's part of the story, but I was being paid full time to do my master's degree.
So when it came to reading Marx, I knew that there was a flaw from having read Capital and having my unusual interpretation of Chapter Six of Capital. Well, then I've got to find where Marx got this insight about the role of use-value and exchange-value, and the only way to find it was read through chronologically everything he had written. And I found it on page 267 to 268, I think it was, of the Grundrisse in a footnote.

[00:11:27.200] - キーン

彼は、イギリスの労働者階級の状況やその他の様々な問題について、当時の政府の報告書を詳細に分析するのに非常に退屈していました。資本論』では、1858年にイギリスの労働者階級の状況について議会報告書に掲載された報告書をマルクスが40~50ページにわたって解剖しているので、読み進めるのが面倒な部分がありました。

ですから、信じられないほど退屈な部分もあるでしょうし、洞察力を発揮する点もあるでしょう。つまり、素晴らしい、素晴らしいスカトロジー的な散文です。だから、読むことができれば、マルクスを理解することができますが、様々な時にトリビアに集中できる巨大な知性を読むことができなければなりません。しかし、同時に、偉大な洞察の閃きもあるのです。また、マルクスは古典派の経済学者をすべて自分で読んでいます。

カティヨンから先のすべての人を読んだのです。ペティも読みました。つまり、彼は何よりもまず、経済思想の歴史家だったのです。つまり、他の人たちを事前に読まなくても、彼を読むことができるということです。もちろん、他の人たちを読んでおくことも有効ですが。というわけで、私はフルタイムのスタッフでありながら、フルタイムで修士号を踏んでいます。大学でフルタイムの教職に就いたわけですが、残念ながら終身雇用ではなく、それもありますが、フルタイムで給料をもらって修士号を取得していたわけです。

だから、マルクスを読むときには、『資本論』を読んでいて、『資本論』の第6章を自分なりに解釈していたことから、欠点があることはわかっていました。そうなると、使用価値と交換価値の役割について、マルクスがどこでこのような洞察を得たのかを見つけなければなりません。そして、『グルンドリッセ』の267ページから268ページだったと思いますが、脚注の中にそれを見つけました。


[00:13:17.380] – Grumbine
I've never even heard of that book. In terms of Capital, you've got the Communist Manifesto, you've got the Eighteenth Brumaire, you've got a number of things. I'd never heard of that. Where does that fit chronologically in his writings?
[00:13:33.720] – Keen
Well, it starts in 1857, and the Grundrisse, I can't pronounce it properly and they'll probably translate it badly as well. But I think it's German for rough draft. So in 1857, Marx was of the opinion the revolution was about to occur and so he decided to go back and reread all the classical economists so he could write the definitive theoretical text for the revolution, which ultimately became Capital Volume One published in 1867.
And my vision of him and I really see him as a human being, that is, not the god that a lot of Marxists talk about and then getting off with his carbuncles to go and sit in his seat. I think was the British Museum or the British Library, I'm not sure which one I should have visited when I was in the UK and I never did one of my great failings.
But he was just sitting there and reading, reading, reading all the originals. And the reason the Grundrisse was so important is that if you go back to when Marx first read the classical economists, Smith and Ricardo in 1844, he came from the position of a philosopher and a poet, and he was incredibly critical of both Smith and Ricardo because he saw them as being dehumanizing.
So a large part of what you read in the economic and philosophical manuscripts of 1844 is him being disgusted by the way that neoclassical economists reduce most of men in general to an autonomaton in the production process. And he called it strictly dehumanizing. But by the end of the manuscript, he started to be convinced in the logical work, particularly of Ricardo, and what he saw was Ricardo had an explanation where profit comes from, which Marx thought was inadequate.
And because he simply assumed that profit would come out of the production process, then both Ricardo and Smith used labor the amount of time it took to produce something as a measure of its value. So Smith argued that if a deer cost twice as much as a sheep, then it was to take twice as much time to capture the deer as to process the sheep.
So it was a strict labor theory of value, but I couldn't find where profit came from. And Marx said, well, what's going on is when a capitalist buys a whole range of inputs for production, when he buys labor, what he pays is the means of subsistence. He pays a worker enough income for that worker to be able to stay alive. And that might take four hours, let's say, to reproduce the means of subsistence for a worker. But the employment contract means you've got to work for eight or 12 hours, was 12 hours a day back in Marx's time and six days a week.
So the time above the time needed to produce the means of subsistence was a surplus that accrued to the capitalist. And that was what Marx used the explanation where surplus came from, where profit came from, and therefore that was also the foundation of his argument that there was going to be a tendency for the right of profit to fall because Marx saw a tendency for capitalists to use more machinery over time, which didn't produce a surplus relative to labor, which did.
Therefore there was a tendency for the rate of profit to fall. He had seven countervailing factors behind that, but fundamentally that was the fulcrum on which he argued for the inevitability of socialism because with capitalism driving the rate of profit down by increasing technological overweight  of machinery to labor over time, that means a diminishing amount of profit.
The seven countervailing factors would ultimately lose out. Capitalists would start to batten down on the workers to increase the level of exploitation that would lead to a revolution, and then you have socialism. So that was his perspective in 1857. But then he went back to read all the originals and pardon me for going on too long here.
[00:17:11.520] – Grumbine
Oh no, not at all. You're doing great.


[00:13:17.380] - グルンバイン

その本は聞いたこともありません。資本論で言えば、共産党宣言とか、十八歳のブリュメールとか、いろいろありますよね。それは聞いたことがありませんでした。彼の著作の中で時系列的にどこに位置するのでしょうか?

[00:13:33.720] - キーン

グルンドリッセは、私にはうまく発音できませんし、彼らもおそらく下手に訳すでしょう。でも、ドイツ語でラフドラフトという意味だと思います。1857年、マルクスは革命が起ころうとしていると考え、革命のための決定的な理論的テキストを書くために、古典派経済学者をすべて読み直すことにしましたが、最終的に1867年に出版された『資本論』第1巻となりました。

つまり、多くのマルクス主義者が語るような神ではなく、人間としての彼を見ているのです。大英博物館か大英図書館だったと思うのですが、イギリスに行ったときにどちらに行くべきだったのか、私の大きな失敗のひとつである「行っていない」ということがよくわかりません。

しかし、彼はただそこに座って、すべての原本を読み、読み、読みました。なぜ『グルンドリッセ』がそんなに重要なのかというと、マルクスが1844年に古典派経済学者のスミスとリカルドを初めて読んだときのことを振り返ってみると、彼は哲学者や詩人の立場から来ていて、スミスとリカルドの2人を信じられないほど批判していたんですね、なぜなら彼らは人間性を失っていると見ていたからです。

1844年の経済・哲学原稿の大部分は、新古典派経済学者が人間の大半を生産過程における自律的な存在に還元していることに、彼が嫌悪感を抱いていたことを示しています。彼はそれを厳しく非人間的だと言いました。しかし、原稿の終わりには、彼は論理的な仕事、特にリカルドの仕事に確信を持ち始めました。彼が見たのは、リカルドが利潤がどこから来るのかを説明していたことですが、マルクスはそれが不十分だと考えていました。

リカルドは、マルクスが不十分だと考えていた利潤が生産過程から生まれることを単純に想定していたので、リカルドもスミスも、何かを生産するのにかかった時間である労働力を価値の尺度としていたのです。スミスは、鹿が羊の2倍の値段であれば、鹿を捕獲するのにかかる時間は羊を加工するのにかかる時間の2倍でなければならないと主張したのです。

厳密な労働価値説ではありますが、利益がどこから来るのかはわかりませんでした。マルクスは、資本家が生産のためのあらゆる投入物を購入するとき、労働力を購入するとき、彼が支払うのは生活手段である。資本家は労働者に、その労働者が生きていけるだけの収入を支払うのです。労働者の生活手段を再生産するには、例えば4時間かかるかもしれません。しかし、雇用契約では、8時間または12時間働かなければなりません。マルクスの時代には1日12時間、週6日でした。

つまり、生活手段を生産するのに必要な時間を超える時間が、資本家に発生する余剰となるのです。マルクスは、余剰がどこから来るのか、利潤がどこから来るのかを説明するために、これを使っていました。したがって、利潤率が下がる傾向にあるという彼の議論の基礎にもなっていました。

そのため、利潤率が下がる傾向がありました。彼はその背後に7つの相殺要因を用意していましたが、基本的にはそれが社会主義の必然性を主張する支柱となっていました。というのも、資本主義が時間の経過とともに労働に対する機械の技術的な比重を高めることで利潤率を下げているため、利潤が減少することを意味するからです。

7つの対抗要因が最終的には負けてしまう。資本家は労働者にバトンタッチして搾取のレベルを上げていき、それが革命につながり、社会主義になる。これが、1857年当時の彼の考え方です。しかし、その後、彼はすべての原本を読み返し、長々と話してしまったことをお詫びします。

[00:17:11.520] - グルンバイン

ああ、いや、全然。あなたは素晴らしいことをしています。

[00:17:14.610] – Keen

Because Marx was a leader of the international, it had rivalry from the anarchists, Proudhon and Kropotkin I think were attacking him as well over the whole international. Putting the 1850s in context, I see the state of industry and living conditions in England as similar to India 20 or 30 years ago, in the worst of what you'd find in a suitable boy, the pollution, the extremities of the capitalist, pressures on the workers and so on.
And remember, Marx and Jenny moved out of Chelsea at one stage because there was a cholera outbreak. So you've got to put yourself in that context and see the strength of the working-class reaction to the situation they found themselves in at the time. Anyway, so in the middle of all this, Marx was one of the leading intellectuals, the leading intellectual, the only rivals coming from the anarchists and a colleague, I think it was Otto Brayer dropped in to visit Marx in 1857 with a copy of Marx's own copy annotated copy, I think of Hegel's Philosophy of Right and Marx having read Ricardo and Smith back in 1844, developed an explanation for profit which they themselves didn't have after that.

He became like another version of Ricardo. Samuelsen used to call him a Ricardian Socialist, highly sophisticated but he almost dropped the philosophical logic that he'd built up when he was studying under Hegel's successors back in Germany when he did his Ph.D. in law. And in 1857, he's re-exposed to Hegel's dialectics. And when I'm reading the Grundrisse, the section after which he's reread Hegel as well is definitively different to what went beforehand. And in the same sense, you know, Hunter S. Thompson, of course. Hunter S. Thompson.

[00:19:00.530] – Grumbine

Yes, absolutely.

[00:19:02.720] – Keen

Well, you know, you could tell which drug he smoked. Was it mescaline? Was it cocaine? Was it marijuana? You know, you could pretty much tell depending how much consumption you've taken, that's what he's on at the moment. Well, it was a distinct shift. Suddenly he started to speak in Hegelian terms, talking in terms of dialectical pairs.

And one thing which the classical school was very, very different about compared to the Neo-classicals is that the classicals – Marx, particularly Smith and Ricardo – saw no role for use-value, as they called it, not utility, but use-value in political economy. So they would say that the commodity has to be useful, has to have a use-value so that it can be purchased. But the use-value plays no role in setting its price.

Now, this was in contrast to Jean-Baptiste Say who was a proto-neoclassical who said that the utility is what people pay for and the neoclassicals have built on Say and say that the price is determined by the coincidence of the marginal utility of a product with the marginal cost of producing it. And now so Ricardo and Smith were emphatic that use-value plays no role in setting price and therefore use-value had no role in their economics.

And that's effectively what Marx also developed and said use-value plays no role in the political economy. But in reading Hegel, he started to talk in dialectical pairs and the classical school talked about the use-value of the commodity and the exchange value of a commodity, dismissed the use-value and said the exchange value comes from the time involved in producing something.

So that's where the labor theory of value and measuring capital in terms of labor time as well to make capital that became the way of thinking. But here's Marx talking in terms of dialectics. And then I want to quote the entire footnote. I still remember the moment that I found this footnote where I was, I was actually in my ex-wife's parents' house in the northern New South Wales town of Mullumbimby, just off from a town called Byron Bay that you might know.

Crocodile Dundee lives in the area. So here is Marx. I'm reading this on the drafting table of my ex-father-in-law's. He was actually an engineer. The drafting table he had in the garage where they stored all the farm equipment. But here's the quote: "Is not value to be conceived of the unity of use-value and exchange value. In and for itself is value as such the general form in opposition to use-value in exchange value as particular forms of it?"

I'm going to read this out. "Does this have significance in economics?" Now we're going to move away for a moment here and just comment. The Grundrisse was Marx's rough notes. It's the stuff he was writing down as he read through all the various literature that he was rereading to get prepared to write Capital. So it's just like, these were never meant for publication. When he wrote, "Does this have significance to the comment to the question in and of itself?"

And then you said, "Use-value presupposed even in simple barter, exchange or barter." I'll jump over these very verbose, as you know, being more verbose even than me at the moment. But he finally says, "If only exchange value as such plays a role in economics, then how could elements later enter which relate to use value, such as right away in the case of capital as raw material, etc.?

How is that the physical composition of the soil suddenly drops out of the sky in Ricardo?" So he's suddenly saying. "We've neglected the role of use-value here. We have to take use-value into account," and then he says again, this is a footnote which goes on for one and a half pages.

[00:22:33.679] – Grumbine

Wow!

[00:22:35.320] – Keen

"The price appears as merely a formal aspect. This is not in the slightest contradicted by the fact that exchange value is the predominant aspect," blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Then he says, "In any case, this is to be examined with exactitude in the examination of value." He obviously wasn't writing for publication and "not as Ricardo does to be entirely obstructed from nor like the dull Say he puffs himself up with the memories of his vision of the word utility.

Above all, it will and must become clear in the development of individual sections to what extent use-value not only is presuppose matter outside economics and its forms, but to what extent it enters into it." And so he's now saying I've got to use use-value and exchange-value as dialectical pairs to derive the labor theory of value. Ok?

[00:23:21.310] – Grumbine

So I've heard you bring up Say many times. Is this the same Say that would be of Say's Law?

[00:23:27.400] – Keen

Oh, yeah, absolutely. Yeah. And the one of the crazy things about Ricardo is that Ricardo had a classical theory of value in which utility played absolutely no role. And he was a correspondent with Say. They were good friends corresponding from different countries. And Say's Law was based on a utility maximization view of capitalism. Now Ricardo adopted Say's Law with a totally in contradiction to his own theory of value.

[00:23:52.710] – Grumbine

[amused] Seems like a lot of them are adopting things that go against their own philosophy. [slight laugh]

[00:23:56.930] – Keen

This is what happened with Marx because what he was doing was creating use-value and exchange-value as a Hegelian dialectical pair. And here, by the way, if I mentioned the word dialectics, what phrase comes to mind for you?

[00:24:09.500] – Grumbine

Opposites.

[00:24:12.180] – Keen

Yeah, but there's actually there's a way of expressing it: thesis, antithesis, synthesis. You know that one?

[00:24:18.110] – Grumbine

Yes. Yes.

[00:17:14.610] - キーン

マルクスはインターナショナルのリーダーでしたから、無政府主義者のライバルでもありました。1850年代のことを考えると、イギリスの産業や生活環境は、20~30年前のインドと似ていて、適齢期の少年に見られるような最悪の状態、公害、資本家の極限、労働者への圧力などが見られます。
思い出せば、マルクスとジェニーは、コレラが発生したためにチェルシーから引っ越したことがあります。このような状況を踏まえて、当時自分たちが置かれていた状況に対する労働者階級の反応の強さを見なければなりません。1857年に同僚のオットー・ブレイヤーがマルクスを訪ねてきて、マルクス自身が注釈をつけたヘーゲルの『権利の哲学』のコピーを持ってきました。

マルクスは、リカルドの別バージョンのようになりました。サミュエルセンは、彼をリカルド型社会主義者と呼んでいました。非常に洗練されていますが、ドイツでヘーゲルの後継者たちに師事して法学博士号を取得したときに構築した哲学的論理をほとんど捨ててしまったのです。そして1857年、彼はヘーゲルの弁証法に再び触れることになります。グルンドリッセ』を読んでいると、彼がヘーゲルを読み直した後の部分は、それまでのものとは決定的に違う。それと同じような意味で、ハンター・S・トンプソンも、もちろんそうです。ハンター・S・トンプソン。

[00:19:00.530] - グルンバイン

はい、絶対にそうです。

[00:19:02.720] - キーン

さて、彼が吸っていた薬は何かわかりますよね。メスカリンですか?コカインですか?マリファナ?摂取した量に応じて、彼が今やっていることがだいたいわかるんですよ。でも、それは明らかな変化でした。突然、彼はヘーゲル的な言葉で、弁証法的なペアの観点から話し始めたのです。

古典派が新古典派と比べて非常に異なっていた点は、古典派(マルクス、特にスミスとリカルド)は、政治経済において、効用ではなく使用価値と呼ばれるものに役割がないと考えていたことです。つまり、彼らは、商品は有用でなければならず、購入できるような使用価値を持たなければならないと言うのです。しかし、その使用価値は価格設定には関係しません。

これは、効用こそが人々が支払うものであるとした新古典派の原型であるジャン・バティスト・セイとは対照的でした。新古典派はセイを基にして、価格は製品の限界効用とそれを生産するための限界費用の一致によって決定されるとしました。リカルドとスミスは、使用価値は価格設定に関与しないと強調しており、したがって使用価値は彼らの経済学には関与しませんでした。

また、マルクスも同じように、使用価値は政治経済には役立たないとしています。しかし、ヘーゲルを読むと、ヘーゲルは弁証法的なペアで話をするようになり、古典派は商品の使用価値と商品の交換価値について話し、使用価値を否定し、交換価値は何かを生産するのに必要な時間から来ると言いました。

そこで、労働価値説を唱え、資本を作るための労働時間で資本を測定するという考え方になったのです。しかし、ここでマルクスは弁証法の観点から話をしています。そして、その脚注を全部引用したいと思います。この脚注を見つけたときのことを、私は今でも覚えています。実は、ニューサウスウェールズ州北部のマランビンビーという町にある元妻の実家にいたのですが、バイロンベイという町のすぐ近くにあります。



クロコダイル・ダンディーが住んでいます。で、ここでマルクスです。これを読んでいるのは、元義理の父親の製図台の上です。彼は実際にエンジニアでした。その製図台は、農機具を保管しているガレージに置いてありました。しかし、ここにその言葉があります。「価値とは、使用価値と交換価値との一体性から考えられるものではない。それ自体としての価値は、その特殊な形態としての使用価値や交換価値に対抗する一般的な形態なのだろうか?"

これを読み上げてみます。"これは経済学において意義があるのか?" さて、ここでちょっと離れて、コメントをします。グルンドリッセ』はマルクスのラフノートでした。資本論』を書くための準備として、様々な文献を読み直しながら書き留めていたものです。だから、これは出版するためのものではなかった、ということです。彼が書いたときに、"これは質問に対するコメントそれ自体に意義があるのか?"

そして、"単純な物々交換、交換、物々交換でも使用価値が前提とされている "と書いていますね。これらの非常に冗長な、ご存知のように、今のところ私よりもさらに冗長であることを飛び越えます。しかし、彼は最後にこう言っています。「もし、交換価値だけが経済学の役割を果たしているのであれば、どうして使用価値に関連する要素が後から入ってくるのでしょうか。

リカルドでは土壌の物理的組成が突然空から落ちてくるのはどうしてか?" つまり、彼は突然こう言っているのです。"ここでは使用価値の役割を軽視している。我々は使用価値を考慮に入れなければならない」と言って、また、これは1ページ半も続く脚注です。

[00:22:33.679] - グルンバイン

うわぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁぁ

[00:22:35.320] - キーン

"価格は単なる形式的な側面として現れる。このことは、交換価値が優勢な側面であることと少しも矛盾していない」と、ボソッと書いています。そして、「いずれにしても、価値の検討においては、このことが正確に検討されるべきである」と言っています。彼は明らかに出版のために書いているのではなく、「リカルドのように完全に妨害されるわけでもなく、鈍いセイのように効用という言葉のビジョンの記憶で自分を膨らませるわけでもない。

とりわけ、使用価値がどの程度まで経済学とその形式の外にある前提問題であるだけでなく、どの程度まで経済学の中に入り込んでくるのかは、個々のセクションの発展の中で明らかになるだろうし、そうならなければならない」。で、彼は今、労働価値説を導き出すためには、使用価値と交換価値を弁証法的なペアとして使わなければならないと言っているわけです。いいですか?

[00:23:21.310] - グルンバイン

それで、あなたがセイを持ち出すのを何度も聞いています。これはセイの法則のものと同じセイなのでしょうか?

[00:23:27.400] - キーン

ああ、そうですね、絶対に。そうです。リカルドについてのおかしな点は、リカルドは効用が全く役割を果たさない古典的な価値の理論を持っていたことです。そして、彼はセイと文通をしていました。二人は国を超えて文通する仲だったのです。そして、セイの法則は効用最大化の資本主義観に基づいていました。リカルドはセイの法則を、彼自身の価値論とは全く矛盾する形で採用しました。

[00:23:52.710] - Grumbine

[多くの人が自分の哲学に反するものを採用しているように見えます。[微笑]

[00:23:56.930] - キーン

マルクスがやっていたことは、ヘーゲルの弁証法的なペアとして使用価値と交換価値を生み出していたので、これはマルクスに起こったことです。そして、ここで、ところで、弁証法という言葉を口にしたら、あなたはどんなフレーズを思い浮かべますか?

[00:24:09.500] - グルンバイン

反対語です。

[00:24:12.180] - キーン

ええ、でも実際にはテーゼ、アンチテーゼ、シンセシスという表現方法があるんですよ。それを知っていますか?

[00:24:18.110] - Grumbine

はい、そうです。


[00:24:19.010] – Keen
  1. I was reading through Marx. I knew that was what people called the dialectic. I was reading Marx and I said right from what he wrote in 1844 , and I'm getting up to 1857 here, and not once did I see him use those expressions. And I always thought thesis, antithesis, synthesis was first of all bloody hard to pronounce properly. And secondly, just didn't seem… it had no real logical content to me as a way of being able to discern his thesis, antithesis, synthesis.
You could do anything with that. And one of Marx's great reads is called "The Poverty of Philosophy" because it was a reply to the anarchist Proudhon, and Proudhon and Marx had met in Paris, I think in 1844, or right after 1844. Marx was trying to teach Proudhon political economy. And as a result of that, Proudhon wrote a book called "The Philosophy of Poverty." And what Proudhon used in that was the thesis, antithesis, synthesis crap, which actually is not at all Hegel.
That comes actually from another German philosopher called Fichte. I'm sure I pronounce the word wrong. So that's the stuff that Proudhon used in what Marx refers to as the Misere, Poverty of Philosophy. And it is not at all the way Marx thought. What I realized was that Marx and by extension Hegel, where he got the idea, didn't talk about thesis, antithesis.
He talked about foreground and background. And the idea was that anything like a human being, a commodity, a social structure is in itself what Marx called a unity. But that unity doesn't sit in isolation from anything else. That unity will be embedded in society. And society will focus upon one aspect of that unity, which is the foreground, and therefore it puts the remainder of the unity into the background.
Now, if you're focusing on something and you make it the foreground of whatever unity you're looking at, the background still exists. And there's a tension imposed on that unity by the fact that society is emphasizing the foreground and putting the other stuff into the background. So there's a tension between the two. So you have foreground, background, and tension, and that to me made far more sense.
That, to me, was a way of putting a whole lot of elements of social change into an understandable framework. So I loved the idea of foreground and background, and that's what Marx is using here. So he's saying that the use-value is the predominant aspect. What he's saying is a commodity is to have both exchange value and use value.
Now, if you put that commodity in an ancient society, like, for example, ancient China, I'm going somewhere with this and it's all focused on you got the emperor at the top and everybody else down below. Then what matters to the emperor is the use value, what it provides, and who cares about the exchange value.   So I took a bunch of journalists for a tour of China in 1991, I think it was.
And we were walking through the Forbidden Palace and in the palace, there was an object that still had all the artwork still inside it when I went through, which was about I'd say it was about the length of your arm. Just imagine your arm basically and bend over your hand as much as you can, bend the hand and the fingers. And that's what the object was.
It was made of solid gold, about one and a half foot long sort of handle at one end. And then on the face could be measured with your fist. The fingers studded with rubies, emeralds, diamonds, you name it. The diamonds would have been up to an inch wide. Ok, looking at one hell of an object. And one of the journalists said, "What do you think it is, Steve?" "Oh, it's obvious. It's a backscratcher."
[00:27:49.010] – Grumbine
Hahaha.




[00:24:19.010] - キーン

マルクスを読み進めていました。人々が弁証法と呼んでいるものだと知っていました。私はマルクスを読んでいて、彼が1844年に書いたものから、ここでは1857年になっていますが、彼がこれらの表現を使っているのを一度も見たことがありませんでした。thesis, antithesis, synthesisは、まず第一に、正しく発音するのが大変だと思っていました。第二に、彼のテーゼ、アンチテーゼ、シンセシスを見分ける方法としては、私には論理的な内容がないように思えました。
それがあれば何でもできますよね。マルクスの代表的な著作に『哲学の貧困』というものがありますが、これは無政府主義者のプルードンに対する返答で、プルードンとマルクスは1844年かその直後にパリで会っていました。マルクスはプルードンに政治経済を教えようとしていた。その結果、プルードンは『貧困の哲学』という本を書きました。プルードンがそこで使ったのは、テーゼ、アンチテーゼ、シンセシスのくだりですが、これは実はヘーゲルではありません。

これはヘーゲルではなく、フィヒテというドイツの哲学者から来ています。発音は間違っているかもしれませんが。これは、プルードンがマルクスの言う「ミゼール(哲学の貧困)」で使っていたものです。そして、それはマルクスの考え方とはまったく違う。私が気づいたのは、マルクス、ひいては彼がその考えを得たヘーゲルは、テーゼ、アンチテーゼを語っていなかったということです。

彼は前景と背景について語っていたのです。人間や商品、社会構造といったものは、それ自体がマルクスの言うところの「統一体」である、という考え方です。しかし、その統一体は他のものから孤立しているわけではありません。その統一体は社会の中に組み込まれる。そして、社会はその統一体の一面に焦点を当てます。それは前景であり、したがって、統一体の残りの部分は背景に置かれます。

さて、もしあなたが何かに焦点を当てて、それをあなたが見ている統一体の前景にしたとしても、背景はまだ存在しています。そして、社会が前景を強調し、他のものを背景に置いているという事実によって、その統一体には緊張が課せられています。つまり、両者の間には緊張関係があるのです。前景、背景、そして緊張感。

私にとっては、社会変革に必要な多くの要素を理解しやすい枠組みにまとめる方法だったのです。私は前景と背景という考え方が好きで、マルクスがここで使っているのもそれです。つまり、彼は使用価値が優勢な側面であると言っているのです。つまり、商品は交換価値と使用価値の両方を持つべきだと言っているのです。

その商品を、例えば古代中国のような古代社会に置いたとすると、私はこの話をどこかで聞いたことがあるのですが、それは皇帝を頂点とし、他のすべての人を下に置くことに焦点を当てています。皇帝にとって重要なのは使用価値、つまり何を提供してくれるかということで、誰が交換価値を気にするのかということです。 1991年だったと思いますが、私はたくさんのジャーナリストを連れて中国を訪れました。

私たちは紫禁城を歩いていたのですが、紫禁城の中には、私が見学したときにはまだすべての美術品が入っていたオブジェがありました。自分の腕を想像して、手をできるだけ曲げて、手と指を曲げるんだ。それが、その物体です。

純金でできていて、片方の端に長さ1.5メートルほどの取っ手がついていました。顔の部分は拳で測れるようになっていました。指にはルビー、エメラルド、ダイヤモンドなどがちりばめられています。ダイヤモンドの幅は1インチにもなるだろう。なるほど、とんでもないものを見たものだ。記者の一人が、「これは何だと思う、スティーブ?"ああ、それは明らかだ。孫の手だよ」と言いました。

[00:27:49.010] - グルンバイン

ハハハ。


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿