ビル・ミッチェル「シンプルな"名刺"経済」(2009年3月31日)
ビル・ミッチェル「シンプルな"名刺"経済」(2009年3月31日)
Bill Mitchell, "A simple business card economy", Bill Mitchell – Modern Monetary Theory, March 31, 2009[邦訳]★
http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=1075
A simple personal calling card economy
Some readers have asked me to provide a simplified explanation of how the modern monetary economy works which is devoid of all the jargon that economists hide within. As part of another earlier blog, I did present a simple fiscal game which provides all the essential insights you require to understand how a modern monetary economy actually operates. Like all models it is stylisation. But there is nothing that I could add by way of complexity that would change the fundamental conclusions and understandings. So to make the model easier to find for reference purposes later on I an presenting it again as a stand-alone blog. Read on!
A simple fiscal game!
Here is an example to help you think about all of this economic jargon. The concepts are simple and the numbers are small which makes it easy to understand and relate to (thanks to Warren Mosler for the original idea for this heuristic).
Imagine the economy is my household which is comprised of me (the parent) and you (the kid)! As the parent I assume the role of “government” and you thus comprise the non-government (private) sector. As the government I decree that I will offer 100 of my personal calling cards per week, if you agree to tend the garden on a weekly basis. These are the cards I exchange at meetings with various professional associates outside of the household. They are normal size rectangles of cardboard.
You say, naturally: “Why would I want your worthless personal calling cards?”
I reply (reflecting my knowledge of how modern monetary systems like the household work): “because to stay living in the house I expect 100 personal calling cards a week to be paid in taxes”.
You say: “when do I start work!”
Immediately, by imposing tax obligations in the currency of issue (the personal calling cards) I have created a demand for the currency and this allows me to transfer private resources (your work in the garden) to the public sector (the nice garden). However, also note that I have to spend the 100 cards each week before you can pay the tax of 100 cards – which clearly means that the taxation can never be considered a source of revenue which “finances” or allows me to spend the cards in the first place. The cards come from no-where and I have the monopoly rights to spend them. I am never financially constrained in my own personal calling cards (the currency).
So this sort of currency is what we call a fiat currency – being made legal by legislative fiat. It has no intrinsic worth and its value is tax driven. Just like the Australian dollar!
Note that I probably would never “print” any cards. I would run some spreadsheet on the house computer and just keep “bank entries” to record all the outflows (spending) and inflows (taxation). All the transactions would just be numbers entered into relevant columns. If I slipped up and added a 0 to my spending one week, I wouldn’t have to “print” 900 new cards. You would be better off by 900 cards because it would show up as a deposit in your account. But nothing else would be required. Same as in the Australian economy.
Now under these conditions, the household ‘budget’ would be balanced each week: I spend 100 cards and you pay 100 cards. You are unable to accumulate any cards (that is, save) because you can only get access to the volume of cards that I make available via spending. Same as in the Australian economy.
What if I wanted to teach you to save as preparation for managing your own affairs when you became an adult? Well the only way you can save is if I, for example, decided to employ you more each week and offered, say, 120 cards per week as wages (government spending) yet continued to tax you only 100 cards. The same effect could have been if I reduced the tax rate and held spending constant or a combination of increasing spending and reducing taxes.
Whatever, and lets stick to the spending of 120 and the tax of 100, the fiscal position now goes into deficit of 20 cards per week. You now can save 20 cards per week because my spending (the government spending) has provided the “finance” to permit you to do that. As the weeks go by you could accumulate more and more savings (numbers in the spreadsheet would increase) and you would soon see that the non-government saving over time is the exact record of the cumulative deficits being run by me (the government). Same as in the Australian economy.
Now, you might want to make more money (cards) on your savings. The only way that can happen is if I offer you a government bond (a bit of paper saying that if you deposit your savings with me each week I will pay them back at some future time plus some interest all in personal calling cards). So the offer of a new financial asset – the household debt instrument (the bit of paper) gives you a chance to compound your saving and maybe take a holiday – not work some weeks but still pay taxes!
So the debt issuance in the household establishes a non-zero rate of interest in the household and increases your wealth. I didn’t have to issue the bond to keep running the deficits. The bond just replaced non-interest bearing savings (reserves in our “banking” system) with an interest-earning asset (the bond). Same as in the Australian economy.
Now lets say I am reading some neo-liberal literature on the Internet which warns me against running fiscal deficits. As a result I get the feeling we have to get back into fiscal surplus to be a responsible government. So I tax 100 cards but cut my spending on garden work to, say 90 cards per week.
Can you predict what will happen now? Well in that particular week there are not enough cards “spent” to generate the funds necessary for you to pay the tax. There are 10 cards short. The household (government) fiscal position is in surplus for that week to the tune of 10 cards. But this shortage of cards liquidity in the private sector (that is, you!) means that you will:
(a) Demand more work to earn the shortfall – noting that the household has now reduced employment levels (in hours) and there is some underemployment creeping in. If I made the example more complicated with 2 or 3 kids in the house I could have easily cut spending by not paying anything to one or more of the kids thus creating unemployment.
(b) Try to sell some of your possessions to get some cards. In this simple case, you will offer your bonds (the bits of paper) for sale to get the funds. So the surplus starts to eat away at your wealth portfolio. I would be boasting like a neo-liberal would that I was running down the government debt – “getting the debt monkey off the government’s back” – which may help me sleep better – but you would just be feeling less well off (and maybe developing insomnia!).
(c) Start to run down any savings that are not being stored in bonds. Either way you run down your wealth holdings.
But in aggregate, the fiscal surplus is squeezing your card liquidity and forcing you to run down wealth. Same as in the Australian economy.
If I kept running fiscal surpluses, you would eventually run out of assets and your labour would be severely underutilised. You might be able to persuade me to start lending you the money (I might set up a privatised bank in the household) and this would keep you afloat (paying the taxes) as long as you were prepared to accept increasing private debt levels. But this is not a sustainable option. Same as in the Australian economy.
ビル・ミッチェル「シンプルな"名刺"経済」(2009年3月31日)
Bill Mitchell, "A simple business card economy", Bill Mitchell – Modern Monetary Theory, March 31, 2009
一部の読者が、現代金融経済がどのように機能しているかについて、経済学者が隠れ蓑にしている全ての専門用語を廃しつつ、簡単に説明するよう私に求めてきた。以前私は、別のブログ記事の一部で、現代の金融経済の実際の運用を理解するのに必要になる重要な洞察全てを提供することができる、とあるシンプルな"財政ゲーム"を紹介した。この世の全てのモデルと同様、それは様式化に過ぎない。しかし、基本的な結論と理解を変えるような追加の複雑性は何もない。なので、後に参照目的でこのモデルを見つけやすくするために、単体のブログ記事としてモデルを再度紹介しておこう。それでは読んでほしい!
シンプルな"財政ゲーム"!
この経済用語の全貌について考えるにあたって、役立つ例を次に示す。このコンセプトは単純で、利用する数字も少ないため、理解と関連付けが容易だろう(このヒューリスティック(*発見的手法)のオリジナルのアイデアについては、ウォーレン・モズラー(Warren Mosler)に依拠する)。
私(親)とあなた(子供)の家庭で構成される経済を想像して欲しい! 親として私は「政府」の役割を引き受け、あなたは非政府(民間)セクターを成す。政府として私は、あなたが週ごとに庭を手入れすることに同意するなら、週に100枚の名刺を提供することを布告する。この名刺というのは、家庭外の取引先との会議で交換するカードで、通常のサイズの長方形のボール紙のものだ。
当然あなたはこう言う、「お父さん/お母さんの名刺なんか、いりませんけど?」
そこで私は(現代の金融システムが、この家事労働の件に如何に似通っているかという私の知見を反映して)、「家に居続けたかったら、税として一週間に名刺100枚を私に納めなさい」と答える。
するとあなたはこう言う:「いつから働けますか!?」
私は発行通貨(名刺)の納付義務を課すことで、直ちに通貨需要を創出した。これにより、民間リソース(あなたの庭での労働)を公共部門(素敵な庭)に移行することができる。ただし、あなたが100枚のカードの税金を支払う前に、あらかじめ私が毎週100枚のカードを支出しておかなければならないことにも注意して欲しい。このことが明らかにするのは、税を(「資金調達」のための、或いは最初の時点での支出を可能にするための)収入源と見做すことは絶対に出来ないということだ。名刺は無から生じたものであり、私は名刺を支出する独占的権利を有している。私が自分の名刺(通貨)による財政的制約を受けることはありえない。
さて、この種の通貨は、我々が法定通貨と呼ぶものであり – 立法上の認可によって合法化されている。本質的な価値はなく、その価値は税によって駆動されている。まさしくオーストラリアドルのように!
おそらく私は、名刺を実際に"印刷"するなんてことはしないだろう、と言っておこう。私は家のコンピューターでスプレッドシートを用いて「銀行通帳」を保持し、すべての流出(支出)と流入(課税)をただ単に記録するだけだろう。すべての取引は、関連項目の列に入力された数字に過ぎなくなる。もし私が入力し損じ、一週の支出で0を一桁多く書き込んでしまったとしても、私は900枚の新しい名刺を「印刷」する必要はない。あなたの口座に預金として900"名刺"が計上されるので、あなたはより裕福にはなるだろう。しかし、そのほかに何も必要になるものはない。オーストラリア経済と同じだ。
さて、上記条件下では、家庭予算は毎週バランスしている。私は100枚の名刺を支出し、あなたは100枚の名刺を納めている。私の支出によって利用可能となる量の名刺しか得られないので、あなたは名刺を蓄積させる(つまり、貯蓄する)ことができない。オーストラリア経済と同じだ。
もし私があなたに、あなたが大人になったときの自立のための準備として、貯蓄するという行為を教示したいならば、どうすれば良いだろう? あなたが貯蓄できるようになる唯一の方法は、例として、私が毎週さらにあなたを雇用して、例えば週に120名刺を賃金(政府支出)としてあなたに提供し、にも関わらずあなたに対して100名刺しか課税しない、というような手法だけだ。同じ効果は、税率を引き下げて支出を一定に保った場合、または支出の増加と減税の組み合わせた場合にも起きるだろう。
何にせよ、120の支出と100の税に固定すると、現行予算は週20名刺の赤字になる。私の支出(政府支出)があなたに貯蓄を許す「資金」を提供したので、あなたは今では週に20枚の名刺を貯蓄することができる。週が経つにつれて、あなたはいっそう貯蓄を増やすことができる(スプレッドシート上の数字が増加する)。 そして、非政府部門の貯蓄が、私(政府)によって実行されている累積財政赤字の正確な記録であることを遠からず理解するだろう。オーストラリア経済と同じだ。
次に、あなたはもっと多くのお金(名刺)を貯蓄したいと思うかもしれない。可能である唯一の方法は、私があなたに対して国債(貯蓄を私に毎週預け入れれば、将来のある時点で全ての名刺+いくらかの金利を払い戻すと約束した紙切れ)を提供することである。こうして、新しい金融資産 – 家庭債券(紙切れ) – の提供により、貯蓄を増やし、場合によっては休暇を取ることができるかもしれない – 数週間働かなくても、税金が払えるようになるからだ!
こうして、家庭での債券発行により、家庭内でのゼロ以上の金利が確保され、富は増加する。この場合私は、赤字を継続するにあたって、必ずしも債券を発行しなくてはならないわけではなかった。この債券は、(「銀行」システムに蓄えられている)無利子の貯蓄を、有利子資産(債券)に置き換えたに過ぎない。オーストラリア経済と同じだ。
さて、ここで私が、財政赤字に対して警告を発するインターネット上の新自由主義的文献をいくつか読んでいるとしよう。そしてその結果、私が「責任ある政府になるためには、財政黒字に戻らなければならない」と感じ、そして100枚の名刺を徴税しながらも、庭仕事への支出を週に90枚にすると宣言したとする。
このとき何が起こるか予期できるだろうか? その特定の週には、税金を支払うために必要な資金を形成するのに十分な「支出済み」名刺がない。 10枚の名刺不足が生じている。家庭(政府)の予算は、その週に10名刺分の黒字となる。しかし、民間部門(つまり、あなた!)での名刺流動性の不足は、次のような事態を招く:
(a)あなたは不足分を稼ぐためにより多くの仕事を要求する–このとき、家庭の(時間当たりの)雇用水準が低下し、いくらかの不完全雇用が忍び込んでいることに注意しよう。 モデル例を複雑にして、2人あるいは3人の子供が居るとした場合、1人あるいはそれ以上の子供への支出をカットすることで、容易に失業を作り出すことができる。
(b)あなたは所有物の一部を売却して名刺を取得しようとする。このシンプルなケースでは、資金を得るために債券(紙切れ)を売りに出す。そうして、財政黒字はあなたの資産ポートフォリオを食いつぶし始める。私は新自由主義者のように、"政府の重荷を取り除いた"("getting the debt monkey off the gobernment's back")ことを自慢げに感じ、よく眠れるようになるだろうが、あなたはどんどん貧乏になっていくように感じるだろう(そして不眠症になる!)。
(c)あなたは債券化していない貯蓄を使い果たし始める。いずれにせよ、あなたは財産を切り崩すことになる。
こうして、全体で見ると、財政黒字はあなたの名刺流動性を搾り取り、富を切り崩すことを余儀なくする。オーストラリア経済と同じだ。
財政黒字を続けると、最終的にあなたの資産は枯渇し、且つあなたの労働力がほとんど活用されなくなる。あなたは私に対し、(私からあなたへの)融資を説得することができるかもしれない(私は家計内で民営化銀行を設立するかもしれない)。これにより、あなたは(民間債務水準の増加を受け入れる用意ができている限りにおいて)税金を支払いつつも破産せずに居られることになる。しかし、これは持続可能な選択肢ではない。オーストラリア経済と同じである。
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿