2022年11月22日火曜日

2022/09/10 Kelton: Dollar Strength Will Continue

2022/09/10 Kelton: Dollar Strength Will Continue
https://love-and-theft-2014.blogspot.com/2022/11/20220911-robert-jameson.html @
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/2133355681582705445/62443560131196339

ーーー





2022/08/08


D:

It was I think maybe a toss-up between 50 and 75 they went with 75 they indicated more is to come. What are they facing over there? What are they trying to deal with? 

K:

Welm, they are trying to deal with inflation the way countries all over the world are and what they're facing though really is just a very acute crisis and they know it and it's largely an energy crisis. And so while on the one hand you have the CB and Christine lagard explaining, you know, we're going to be very aggressive we've done this unprecedented 75 basis point hike at the same time. She's pretty candid about saying that this is not likely to do much in terms of getting at the core driver of our inflation problem, which is energy costs. So they're using the blunt instrument which is the the only real tool that they think they have and they're doing it while recognizing that it is likely not going to provide the kind of relief that everybody wants to see. 


D:

Well that's my curiosity actually because it's not clear to me how raising rates will take down the energy rates as long as President Putin's doing what he's doing at the same time. Are they sort of coffee? Rock and a hard place they have to do something. 


K:

 They feel they have to do something. So, you know, it's this tendency to just really rely so heavily on central banks. I mean after all central banks have the Mandate it is the Central Bank both here in the US with the fed and in Europe with the ECB that is supposed to be in a sense in charge of fighting inflation. So if inflation is a problem, we look first to the central bank to deal with the problem. And the reality is that you know, everyone from Jerome Powell to Christine Lagarde and other Central Bankers have told us pretty candidly from the beginning that when you are facing inflationary pressures that arise from the supply side of the economy due to the pandemic oil price shocks and the light that their toolkit is not well designed to deal with those sorts of problems. And I think if you read between the lines what they're basically saying is we could use some help on other fronts, right? There's another policy lever. There are other things that we could be doing to try to Tamp down inflationary pressures.


D:

 One of the big stories right now obviously is currency and what has happened to US dollar hitting new records after record against just about every other currency and part perhaps ago the energy situation maybe also because of some Divergence on monetary policy. What do you make of the US dollar and what it is doing right now? Is it going to keep going?  


K:

It looks like it will I mean I don't see reasons to believe that the dollar is on the on the verge of softening against other major currencies. In fact, I think the strength will probably continue a foot. I think the Euro will continue to weaken the bank of Japan seems not terribly bothered with this with the strengthening of the dollar vis-a-vis the Yen, so I think the dollar can rip higher I think the the obvious problem really is for the rest of the world, especially Emerging Markets many poor countries. Heavily indebted in US Dollars. This has the potential to lead to debt crises in other parts of the world. Sub-Saharan Africa. We've already seen what's happened in Sri Lanka, but countries like Argentina and even Ukraine are vulnerable to these, you know into the increased strength of the US dollar.



D:

Stephanie. What do you think the FED thinks about where the dollar is? We had Bill Dudley the former president New York fed on early on Bloomberg. And this is what he had to say. He thinks maybe the FED wants this. 


S:

 The FED actually wants the dollar to be relatively firm because a stronger dollar restrains economic activity and it reduces inflation because it reduces the cost of imports into the United States. So the FED is not unhappy with the dollar strength. This is just part and parcel one aspect of how you tighten Financial conditions. 

D:

 Professor do you agree with the bill Dudley? 

Do you think the FED wants that strong a dollar? 


K:

 I do I do. I don't think it does a lot of heavy lifting in terms of reducing inflationary pressure. But no question that it helps. I mean that the reality David is that when I look at you know, the way things have unfolded let's say for the first half of the year and what I think lies ahead.

 what I see is inflation stepping down and signs that to me suggest that we're going to continue to see inflation coming down in the second half of the year. You can say that a strong dollar helps with that. It surely does you could also argue that a recession helps with that. I prefer not to see that happen. I think if you look at delivery times, they're normalizing you look at you know, the number of unfilled orders normalizing you look at Transportation costs and Rail and freight and containers and air all coming down nicely. Those costs are coming down sharply the New York fed. Supply chain pressures index is normalizing you got companies with few. Options but you've got a lot of companies announcing either hiring freezes or layoffs many people describe the housing market as already in recession and the strong dollar adds to that. You've got a lot of fiscal drag, you've got Janet Yellen telling us we have substantial fiscal drag in place. So you combine all of those things and I actually think that we have had in enough tightening it's enough but the FED doesn't agree the FED wants to see credible evidence of inflation continuing to come down month after month for some period of time and until they see that they're going to continue hiking and we'll have to deal with the Fallout.



ケルトン ドルの強さは続くだろう


ステファニー・ケルトン(StephanieKelton)ストーニーブルック大学教授が、FRB金利と世界的なドル高について論じている。ブルームバーグの "Balance of Power "で@DavidWestinと対談している。

bloomberg.com/news/videos/20... via @BloombergUK pic.twitter.com/aj7uAZZukH

 

2022/09/11 22:04

 

 

2022/09/10 ケルトン ドル高が続くだろう 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2022-09-09/kelton-dollar-strength-will-continue-video


https://vimeo.com/773414807

2022/08/08

バランス・オブ・パワー フルショウ(2022年8月8日) 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2022-08-08/balance-of-power-full-show-08-08-2022

D:

50と75で迷ったんだけど、75にしたんだ......もっと来るって言ってたし。彼らはあそこで何に直面しているのでしょうか?彼らは何に対処しようとしているのでしょうか?

K:

まあ、世界中の国々と同じように、インフレに対処しようとしているんですが、彼らが直面しているのは、本当に深刻な危機で、彼らはそれを知っています。一方では、中央銀行とクリスティン・ラガルドが、我々は非常に積極的に行動するつもりだ、同時にこの前例のない75ベーシスポイントの引き上げを行った、と説明しています。彼女は、インフレ問題の核心的な要因であるエネルギーコストに手をつけるという点では、これはあまり効果がないだろうと率直に言っています。だから、彼らは、自分たちが持っていると思う唯一の現実的な手段である鈍器を使って、誰もが見たいと思うような緩和をもたらすことはないだろうということを認識しながら、それを行っているのです。

D:

プーチン大統領がやっていることと同じように、金利を上げればエネルギーコストが下がるというのは、私には理解できないからです。コーヒーみたいなものなのでしょうか?岩と岩の間......何かをしなければならないんです。


K:

 彼らは何かをしなければならないと思っています。だから、中央銀行に大きく依存する傾向があるんです。結局のところ、中央銀行には使命があります。ここアメリカでは連邦準備銀行が、ヨーロッパではECBが、ある意味でインフレとの戦いを担当することになっています。ですから、インフレが問題になった場合、私たちはまず中央銀行にその対処を求めます。しかし現実には、パウエルやラガルドをはじめとする中央銀行総裁たちは、石油価格の高騰や光の影響により、経済の供給サイドから生じるインフレ圧力に直面した場合、彼らのツールキットはこうした問題に対処するようにはできていないと、当初から率直に話しています。行間を読めば、彼らが基本的に言っているのは、他の面で助けを求めることができる、ということだと思います。他の政策もあります。インフレ圧力を抑えるために、他にもできることがあるはずです。


D:

 今、大きな話題になっているのは明らかに通貨で、米ドルが他のあらゆる通貨に対して次々と新記録を更新していること、そしておそらくエネルギー事情もありますが、金融政策の相違も原因でしょう。米ドルとその動きについて、どう思われますか?このまま行き続けるのでしょうか? 

K:

そうですね、ドルが他の主要通貨に対して軟化しかかっているとは思えません。実際、ドル高がもう少し続くと思います。日銀は円に対するドル高をそれほど気にしていないようですから、ドルはもっと上がる可能性があります。ドル建てで多額の債務を負っている。これは世界の他の地域の債務危機を引き起こす可能性があります。サハラ以南のアフリカ。アルゼンチンやウクライナのような国も、米ドルの強さに影響されやすいのです。

D:

ステファニー、FEDはドルの現状についてどう考えているのでしょうか?ブルームバーグで、前ニューヨーク連銀総裁のビル・ダドリーに登場してもらったんだが。これは彼が言っていたことです。彼は、たぶんFEDはこれを望んでいると考えています。


S:

 ドルが強くなると経済活動が抑制され、米国への輸入コストが下がるのでインフレ率が下がるからです。ですから、FEDはドル高を嫌っているわけではありません。これは、金融情勢を引き締める方法の一部であり、一面でしかありません。

D:

 教授は、ダドリーの法案に賛成ですか?

FEDはそんなにドル高を望んでいると思いますか?

K: 

思っています。インフレ圧力を下げるという点では、それほど大きな役割を担っているとは思いません。しかし、それが助けになることは間違いありません。しかし、現実には、今年の前半に起こったこと、そして今後起こるであろうことを考えると、インフレは一段落していると思います。

 インフレ率は低下しており、下半期もインフレ率は低下し続けると思われます。ドル高がそれを後押ししていると言うこともできます。確かに、不況もその一助になると言えるでしょう。しかし、私はそのようなことが起こらないことを望んでいます。納期は正常化し、未達成の注文数は正常化し、輸送コストは鉄道、貨物、コンテナ、航空などすべて順調に低下しています。これらのコストは急激に低下しています。サプライチェーン圧力指数は正常化し、選択肢の少ない企業がある。しかし、多くの企業が雇用の凍結や解雇を発表しています。多くの人が住宅市場はすでに不況であり、ドル高がそれに拍車をかけていると述べています。ジャネット・イエレンが財政の足をかなり引っ張っていると言っています。しかし、FEDは、インフレ率が毎月下がり続けるという確かな証拠を、ある程度の期間、確認することを望んでいます。


 

 

 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿