https://love-and-theft-2014.blogspot.com/2022/11/20220808-keltonbalance-of-power-full.html @
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/2133355681582705445/3896334374281026272
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2022-08-08/balance-of-power-full-show-08-08-2022
Instead of the inflation reduction act we should call it. The war on seniors act David that gives you a sense of where we are here on Capitol Hill.
D:
where we are and something of what we may hear through the Falls we go to those midterms. I think it's a preview say thank you so much to Bloomberg's Joe Matthew. You can listen to Joe every weekday on his radio program sound on that's at 5 PM Eastern Time on Bloomberg Radio. I want to get a view now from a con an economist point of view on exactly what this inflation reduction act might mean for our economy and we welcome now Stephanie Kelton. She's professor of economics and public policy at Stony Brook University, and she is of course former Chief Economist for the Senate budget committee so Professor. Thanks so much for being with us. Do you have a primary view on that key question will it reduce inflation or not?
K:
Well David, I think that the people who've actually studied this most closely have come down. a side of Yes, okay, technically it is not being marketed improperly. If you like. It is called the deficit reduction act and most economists believe that it will modestly temper inflationary pressures. And so I you know, I haven't cranked the numbers out myself, but I've looked at some of the research that's been done. It seems to me reasonably plausible that this is moderately inflation dampening over a period of years.
D:
So modestly or tempering is used as said the numbers. There are a lot of people in Washington and across the country think maybe we need to do more than that to get inflation or control including of course Larry Summers I talk to on Friday and he is very concerned particularly given those jobs numbers from Friday that things really are getting out of control. This is what he had to say about the Fed.
S:
I don't think the FED has the thread right now. We have by every reasonable measure of core inflation inflation running somewhere plus or minus 5% That is not multiple by any dimension.
D:
So Professor called I guess I have two questions. Do you agree with this basic analysis were somewhere around 5% on cornflation and number two. If so, what should be done about it because I think you might disagree with Larry about what needs to be done.
K:
Yeah, I do not put myself in the shared category of kneecapping our economic recovery going after aggregate demand to the extent that we try to drag it down so much that we risk inducing a pretty severe economic recession. So look for a very long time for many many years the inflation index that the Federal Reserve has targeted and considered the most important is of course the core pce.
if you look at what's been happening say quarter one to Quarter Two of this year that's step down nicely from 5.2 in the first quarter of the year to 4.4 in the second quarter. Now, that's just a quarter over quarter and I understand that annualized we still have core pce running well ahead of the feds Target, but at least it is moving in the right direction and if you see hopeful signs with continuing improvements and supply chain with Energy prices, where oil is right now if you look at the Cooling of the housing market if you look at slowing consumer demanding, there are a lot of kind of bright spots. If you like that will suggest to you that inflation may continue to moderate eventually. We may end the year with a core pce right around four percent that's still too high for the FED.
But again, at least there is reason to be hopeful that things are starting to move in the right direction on the inflation front.
D:
Well just to support you. I believe the Federal Reserve Bank of New York has a survey as you know inflation. They just came out with one today saying that inflation expectations actually have come down quite sharply in the month of July. So it appears in perhaps some inflation expectations are coming down.
but you mentioned that 4% is too high for the FED. Is it too high for you?
K:
Well at what cost right David if we could if if the question is Should we tolerate inflation running around 4% if we think that bringing it down significantly below that comes with a cost of increasing on employment by two or so percent in other words, you know, Larry Summers has said things like he believes that maybe we need to see unemployment sit above 5% for a period of around five years to me. That would be unacceptable. So it's about what you think the trade-off is and if that's the trade-off that's not one that I put in, you know personally would want to make the costs of unemployment are simply too high people don't like inflation.
I don't like inflation. I want to see inflation come down. But the reality is that we do so much damage medium and long-term and short run damage to our economy dragging aggregate demand down doesn't just need cap demand. It hurts the supply side as well. And that's precisely the kind of Um a place that I think we ought to be putting more effort into improving making Investments dealing with supply side challenges if you think you are where you are with inflation today because you have supply shortages then let's tackle the supply shortages in the best way to do that. Of course is by increasing Supply.
D:
so professor as you suggest the starting point for determining what to do about inflation is analysis. What causes it whether it's too much demand simulator demand or whether there's not enough Supply if it is the supply question that needs some real stimulus. Is there a challenge in how long it takes to simulate that I mean, we have the chips act which presumably with stimulate demand perhaps the inflation reduction act will stimulate some Supply as well. But is there a lag there that might be dangerous?
K:
well for Some spending where you can make the Investments but the payoff comes years down the road. We should still be making those Investments but there are also things we can do shorter term. Look. I think one of the most important things that we ought to be working very hard to accomplish is to bring about some kind of resolution to the war in Ukraine that is driving Energy prices that has driven Energy prices higher it will continue I think to keep food prices and potentially Energy prices elevated. We really need to see Some progress being made there, and I think that perhaps more than anything to improve inflationary pressure short-term. That's a really important place to be investing one's energy.
D:
professors always such a pleasure to have you with us. Thank you for your time. That's Professor Stephanie Kelton of Stony Brook University coming up. We're going to talk with Democratic senator, Tom.
インフレ抑制法ではなく、高齢者戦争法と呼ぶべきでしょう。高齢者戦争法案と呼ぶべきだろう。デビッド......これで、ここキャピトル・ヒルの現状がわかるだろう。
D:
私たちが今いる場所と、中間選挙に向かうフォールズを通じて聞こえてくるかもしれないものの一部です。ブルームバーグのジョー・マシューにありがとうと言うのが、プレビューだと思う。ジョーのラジオ番組は平日毎日、東部時間午後5時からブルームバーグラジオで聞くことができます。このインフレ抑制法が経済にとってどのような意味を持つのか、経済学者としての見解を伺いたいと思います。彼女はストーニー・ブルック大学の経済学と公共政策の教授で、もちろん上院予算委員会の元チーフエコノミストです。お集まりいただきありがとうございます。インフレを抑えるのか、抑えることができないのか、という重要な問題に対して、先生はどのような見解をお持ちですか?
K:
David、この問題を最も綿密に研究してきた人たちは、「技術的には不適切なマーケティングは行われていない」という立場をとっていると思います。よろしければ。赤字削減法と呼ばれるもので、ほとんどのエコノミストは、インフレ圧力を適度に抑制することになると考えています。私は自分で数字を計算したわけではありませんが、いくつかの研究結果を見てきました。何年にもわたってインフレを適度に抑制するというのは、もっともなことのように思えます。
D:
控えめに、あるいは和らげるというのは、数字が示すとおりなんですね。金曜日に話したラリー・サマーズもそうですが、彼は特に金曜日の雇用統計を見て、物事が本当にコントロールできなくなりつつあることを非常に懸念しています。これは彼がFRBについて語ったものです。
S:
私は、FEDが今、糸口を掴んでいるとは思っていません。コア・インフレのあらゆる合理的な尺度で、インフレ率はプラスマイナス5%程度で推移しています。
D:
というわけで、教授に2つほど質問をさせてください。この基本的な分析に同意していますか?5%前後のコーンインフレと、その2。もしそうなら、どうすればいいのでしょうか。というのも、何をすべきかについて、ラリーとは意見が合わないかもしれないからです。
K:
私は、経済回復の足かせになるような総需要を追い求め、かなり深刻な経済不況を引き起こす危険を冒すようなことはしたくないのですが、それでも、経済回復の足かせになるような総需要を追い求め、かなり深刻な経済不況を引き起こす危険を冒すようなことはしたくないのです。連邦準備制度理事会が長年にわたって目標とし、最も重要だと考えてきたインフレ指数は、もちろんコア pce です。
今年の第1四半期から第2四半期にかけての動きを見てみると、第1四半期の5.2から第2四半期には4.4へと見事に下がっています。しかし、少なくとも正しい方向に動いています。もしあなたが、継続的な改善とサプライチェーン、エネルギー価格、原油価格、住宅市場の冷え込み、消費者需要の鈍化など、希望に満ちた兆候を見ているなら、多くの明るい材料があるのです。このようなことから、インフレは最終的には緩やかになっていくと思われます。コア・インフレ率は4%前後で今年を終えるかもしれませんが、FEDにとってはまだ高すぎる水準です。
しかし、少なくとも、インフレが正しい方向に向かい始めたという希望を持つには十分です。
D:
そうですね、ちょっと補足します。ニューヨーク連邦準備銀行は、ご存知のようにインフレに関する調査を行っています。今日発表されたものによると、7月にインフレ期待がかなり大きく低下したそうです。ですから、おそらくインフレ期待が下がってきているのでしょう。
しかし、FEDにとって4%は高すぎるというお話がありました。あなたにとっては高すぎるのでしょうか?
K:
ラリー・サマーズ(Larry Summers)は、失業率が5%を超える状態が5年ぐらい続かないといけないかもしれないと考えているようなことを話しています。そんなことは許されないでしょう。トレードオフをどう考えるかが問題で、もしそれがトレードオフなら、私個人は失業のコストを単純に高くしたいとは思いません。
私もインフレは好きではありません。私はインフレが嫌いです。しかし現実には、中長期的にも短期的にも経済に大きなダメージを与えており、総需要を引き下げることは、単にキャップデマンドを必要とするだけではありません。供給側にもダメージを与えているのです。それこそ、供給側の課題に対処するための投資の改善に、もっと力を入れるべきだと思います。もちろん、供給を増やすことです。
D:
教授がおっしゃるように、インフレに対処するための出発点は、分析です。何が原因なのか、需要が多すぎるのか、供給が足りないのか、もし供給に関する問題であれば、実際に刺激を与える必要がある。つまり、チップ法があり、これはおそらく需要を刺激し、インフレ抑制法が供給も刺激することになるでしょう。しかし、そこに危険なラグがあるのではないでしょうか?
K:
投資をしても、その見返りは何年も先になるような支出もあります。しかし、もっと短期間でできることもあります。ほら。エネルギー価格を押し上げているウクライナの戦争に何らかの決着をつけることが、私たちが懸命に取り組むべき最も重要なことの1つだと思います。短期的なインフレ圧力を改善するためには、ウクライナで何らかの進展が見られることが何よりも必要です。短期的なインフレ圧力を改善するために、何よりも重要なのはそこなのです。
D:
教授、いつもご一緒させていただき、ありがとうございます。お時間をいただき、ありがとうございました。以上、ストーニーブルック大学のステファニー・ケルトン教授がお送りしました。民主党の上院議員、トムに話を聞くことになります。

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿