2022年8月17日水曜日

Steven Hail at MMT Summer School 2022

Steven Hail at MMT Summer School 2022



MMT and Ecological Economics | Steven Hail at MMT Summer School 2022

2022/08/12(16)








42:39

website of the Geological Survey of Finland there is a great piece of research there by Simon Michelle which

42:46

explains some of the things I was saying before it's really very difficult to see

42:51


https://www.gtk.fi/en/current/the-deep-groundwater-project-in-kurikka-proceeds-to-the-next-phase-where-the-water-extraction-volume-will-be-examined-by-test-pumping-and-modelling/


A Bottom-up Insight Reveals: Replacing Fossil Fuels is Even More Enormous Task Than Thought | GTK
https://www.gtk.fi/en/current/a-bottom-up-insight-reveals-replacing-fossil-fuels-is-even-more-enormous-task-than-thought/


https://love-and-theft-2014.blogspot.com/2022/08/a-bottom-up-insight-reveals-replacing.html


~~~


uh hello everybody it's a great pleasure to um be with you can everyone hear me yeah I can assume you can hear me yeah all right thank you um I am speaking to you from the Adelaide Hills. so I would like to start with an acknowledgment which I'm in the habit of doing I live uh somewhere called old gay in the Adelaide Hills which is on the traditional land of the paramank people so I like to say at the beginning of a talk that I acknowledge and pay my respects to the Paramount people the original inhabitants of the Adelaide Hills and recognize their ongoing connection with this land which was never seated okay having said that what is uh someone who spent most of their adult life training bankers doing talking to you about modern monetary Theory and ecological economics I I perhaps I should give a little bit of background um when thinking about the future and about the ecological challenges that we face in this generation and the generations to come you can fall into two traps I think one potential track which I'm prone to myself is catastrophism and just thinking that whatever we do is not going to be enough to avoid a series of crises which are going to undermine um our economies and and modern societies with goodness knows what consequences and that's one extreme and it can become an irrational Viewpoint that you can take but on the other side there's equally irrational view which is Extreme optimism everything's going to be okay we're going to transition to a clean green economy over the next decade or a couple of decades we'll get to Net Zero by 2050 and that's all that we need to do technology will save us all that kind of thing I would like to start then by saying one optimistic thing and one pessimistic thing the optimistic thing that I have to say is that in my view based on a dispassionate at least from my perspective reading of the evidence um it's not too late we can build at Future economies which are consistent with maintaining and improving the quality of life of hundreds of millions billions of people over time uh while uh defending and restoring the natural environment within which we live and of which we're apart that's the optimistic statement the pessimistic statement we can't do this if our economic narrative remains dominated in the future as it has been to a greater or lesser extent in various forms for the last hundred years by a new classical economics neoclassical economics has always been misleading and we've now reached a point in our history where it's not just misleading it's an existential threat I've thought this for oh probably at least 10 years partly because my closest economics friend and colleague in Adelaide um Phil Long is Australia's leading ecological Economist and about five years ago the two of us got together and you know you think what could we do to in a small way make a difference on this planet and we decided to try and put together a set of postgraduate qualifications because after all we're teachers um in heterodox economics but uh centered on the two elements in non-neoclassical economics which we think are most important if we are going to um if only we can uh gain influence in the next five or ten years in policy institutions around the world to deliver a sustainable future economy um with improved living standards for all and those two elements were modern monetary Theory and I think of myself as an mmt economist although that's not really what I'm going to be talking about today and ecological economics which is Phil's area of expertise we spent the next couple of years trying to interest universities in doing this and in Australia and we could couldn't for a long time we couldn't find any takers particularly because um if you go to a university that has an economics Department it's invariably a department dominated by neoclassical economists and they are simply not interested in in in offering what we thought was was important because we we really need a production line of economists training him into who understand ecological issues that's so important so in the end a couple of years ago we quit our jobs and we set up a charity called modern money lab which you could see the name of in the top left-hand corner there in Adelaide and eventually we found a university it's the newest university in Australia it has to be one of the two private units in Australia none of the public unions were interested called Torrance University and we are launching our postgraduate courses including a master's degree in the economics of sustainability which is really in mmt and ecological economics in a couple of weeks time um the abstract that I gave the organizers for this event is very similar to the first note that I wrote to the vice Chancellor at Torrance University I I maybe I will just very quickly read through it with you living with implanetary boundaries is Central to the pursuit of sustainable well-being if we are to do this in time to preserve a stable environment we need policy makers to admit the scale of the challenges we face and to be informed by competent economic analysis both Phil and I believe and this is not the same thing as saying necessarily that Real gross domestic product has to fall but both of us believe that we must abandon the objective of Perpetual growth focus on our real resource and ecological constraints and not be distracted by neoclassical myths relating to the monetary system the appropriate functions of government or the economics of climate change and we both believe passionately that insights derived from Modern monetary Theory and ecological economics are essential tools if we're to meet the challenges of this Century with confidence so with the help of lecturers and subject writers like dirkins who is there with you and Scott fullwiler who many of you will have heard of and others too and with the advice of Stephanie Carlton and Fadel kabu that's exactly what we've been spending our time doing for the last couple of years I guess most if not all of us have had a training in neoclassical economics and I even taught it for 20 years after after I graduated and I'm embarrassed now by some of what I used to teach what I used to in culco into into people's minds you remember I'm sure that the neoclassical approach is based on the an explicit or implicit General equilibrium model centered on individuals with impossible access to information and cognitive capacity and with the power to make decisions which maximize their well-being.
 So based on preferences which are not influenced by other people and which they they uh um very well understand they're able to decide how much to work and how much leisure time to take now and when they work the pay they get depends on their marginal productivity which in turn depends on how much they have invested in this human capital in the past and they make rational decisions able to look into the future with almost perfect foresight about how much to borrow and now pay back later or say now we know that in new Keynesian economics they have a full monopolistic competition so that they can have price setting but basically the default Market model which is what is in the back of everybody's mind the whole time is perfect competition with any deviations from this treated as market failures and if they think about ecological issues at all if they think about for example carbon dioxide emissions at all they see them as a negative externality given all their other assumptions it's possible to look into the future to identify precisely the social costs of those negative externalities and identify an optimal tax and if you internalize the externality by uh implementing and optimal tax then in theory there are substitutions in consumption and in production processes and there are technological changes which means that you get an ideal release a Pareto optimal allocation of resources and the economy can continue to grow forever and there is no issue about the scale of our impact on the environment within which we live and of which we are apart but put the cartoon on the left hand side on this slide this is a magical world of preposterous assumptions it has always stood in the way of maximizing the well-being of hundreds of millions of people it always led to inequality Financial instability and crisis and but now it's a threat to our survival or at least the survival of our civilizations so we need an alternative a set of economic foundations and what's more and this is the difficult thing as far as I'm concerned we need social tipping points political tipping points to to occur before ecological ones do because we need these foundations to be incorporated in the way that real world politicians treasuries central banks other institutions make decisions the most important elements not the only elements but the most important elements in this new economics are modern monetary Theory and ecological economics and our level with you uh I five to ten years ago um sometimes felt that there was an ecological problem with mmt that mmt was too often seen by people as an efficient way of growing economies faster um I don't think that anymore I think that the work of well let's mention Steve Keane and uh kenz who are with you amongst many other people and Fadel Kabob but especially Stephanie Kelton has pulled modern monetary Theory towards ecological economics over time and in many respects um if you compare the Great popularizing Book of mmt the deficit myth with the Great popularizing Book of recent years for ecological economics which is donor economic by Kate rower there are very major similarities between those two books when you put them side by side and you read them and the quote you can see in the bottom left hand corner of this screen are just a more prosperous world one that combines ecological sustainability with full employment human well-being a lower degree of inequality and excellent public services that meets the needs of all is Within Reach now that could come from either of these books it actually comes from Stephanie's book but we have been dragging mmt and ecological economics together I like to think that a conference we held in Adelaide at the beginning of 2020 where we had Stephanie Curtin and Bill Mitchell but we had very well-known ecological economics not economists not just Phil but Robert costanzo and Mark diesendorf and others as well might have played a small part in this so if MNT and ecological economics are so important.
 and if I if they're going to be the center of the Master's Degree which we're just having our first intake for in a few weeks time um what are the main elements what are the core elements of these two schools of thought I hardly need to talk to you about the mmt column here we all know who the main figures have been in building the foundations of modern monetary theory yes on the shoulders of previous generations of economists like Abalone and Wing Godly and Jaime Minsky but the big four I always think are Warren Mosler and Bill Mitchell and Randall Ray and Stephanie Kelton she's not just a popular writer of mmt but as Stephanie Bell um she wrote a couple of early papers which are very important in the foundations of modern monetary Theory so you know perfectly well that modern monetary Theory when you think about it in a descriptive sense is about the monetary system um the distinction between currency issuers and currency users is of vital importance understanding the determinants and the significance of monetary sovereignty is important too we all know you're a monetary Sovereign if you issue the currency that you collect taxes in if that currency is not convertible into any commodity or foreign currency that you could run out of at a fixed rate and if you have no significant foreign currency denominated it's a little bit more complicated than that but that's the essentials we know if you are a monetary Sovereign you face real constraints of course you do but you face no purely Financial ones you're not going to run out of your own currency we all know that we also know about when God leaves sexual balances approach to macroeconomics we know that if at full employment the non-government part of the monetary system and desires to accumulate net Financial assets then it's vital that the currency issuing government runs a definite deficit in order to Supply those financial assets and support the economy that's a descriptive side of mmt we also know mmt has a free scripted side we often talk about the aim of maintaining non-inflationary full employment which is one way of helping to create more equitable distribution of income but that's not the only reason full employment is important we know that a federal job guarantee will do that as well as helping to stabilize the economy across the economic cycle and we often talk about the use of monetary sovereignty to pursue something called the public purpose although we don't always specify in detail what the public purpose is well that's mmt what ecological economics all about I I perhaps before I go on I I'd like us to be able to stop using the term mmt and just call that left-hand column macroeconomics I would like to stop using um the term ecological economics in the right hand corner we all should be ecological economists and just say well this is what we think about at the beginning of econ 101 this is where we start from we don't start from here do we but we should ecological economics was developed by Kenneth balding he deserves a mention there is a brilliant essay please look this up online and read it if you never have done that hero in 1966 called the economics of the coming spaceship earth which is really about the implications of the human impact on our environment exceeding the bio capacity of that environment to absorb our waste and allow us to draw resources from it without deteriorating over time um but the other founders of ecological economics Nicholas Joe gesture Rogan you may have heard of in his student Herman Daley who I'm going to mention in a moment Kate rawat as I said is the modern very very effective uh popularizer of ecological economics if you haven't read donor economics please read it so the descriptive part the economy is well it sits within Society of course and Society is a subset of the biosphere so given that our biosphere is limited we have planetary boundaries that we need to live within if we are going to retain a stable and livable environment then we have to concern ourselves with our impact on that environment with our ecological footprint what's the prescriptive part of ecological economics um they don't always talk about equality first but radically lower levels of inequality in most countries are always almost always an issue at the Forefront of the minds and discussions of ecological economists ecological sustainability we're going to come back to that of course they often talk about efficiency I prefer to use the word Effectiveness because that word efficiency is has sort of almost been stolen from us by neoclassical economies when we talk about Effectiveness you know if we've got limited ecological resources we have to use them effectively to maximize the well-being of the present generation without threatening the well-being of generations to come so what does this lead to it leads you to thinking about quantitative cumulative limits not just on carbon dioxide emissions but uh for any scarce ecological resources we should be rethinking what we value does it make sense to talk as though maximizing the growth in something called GDP it's our overwhelming objective we yes we need to rethink distribution as I was kind of just talking about and this does evolve as mmt sort of implies I think a much greater role for governments and for public Investments of course it does and regulations and ecological economists often talk about cap and trade because if you want to strictly limit carbon emissions you need some way of actually ensuring that you're you're going to do that there are of course political problems and existing cap and trade schemes are far from uh ideal and there may be Alternatives like carbon currency and that some of you may have heard of as well to ensure that we don't continue to indefinitely to uh Produce near emissions of carbon dioxide which will increase the concentration of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in our atmosphere and drive us towards more and more crisis so what should be the public purpose oh and remember spaceship earth uh I don't need to read all these things again I'm more or less repeating myself but much of what is on this slide will be shared by almost all mmt economists and as well as almost all ecological economists if you want to use the word degrow fine but I prefer to be agnostic in two respects where gross domestic product is concerned if gross domestic product can grow while you are living within your planetary boundaries that's fine um I am not going to a prioritize say that we need to massively scale back on GDP around the world of gross World product although I am extremely um what's the word skeptical about the potential for long-run economic growth I mean just just the arithmetic it's enough to do that really if you imagine growing the world economy at three percent per annum for 200 years a bit more than 200 years you'd have an economy a thousand times bigger than the one at the moment that is just not going to happen at some stage.
 the global economy is going to stop growing in terms of GDP well I'm agnostic about GDP in another sense too we need to change the way we organize um our economies the management of our economies we need to rethink what and how we produce and consume we need to grow some things and degrow others and when we're talking about that GDP statistic we need to build an economy where people's well-being will be maintained with a gross domestic product Rises or not none of any of this is Meaningful if we don't have a healthy biosphere we don't have a healthy planet to live on if your house is burned down or is under the water maintaining and improving human well-being requires a fundamental change in in the way in which we see the environment which is not something separate to ourselves it is something of which we are apart and on which we depend so we need to get ourselves off the global growth machine and the global growth machine has been absolutely amazing particularly during the Great acceleration since the year 1950 now of course 1950 to 1975 that was sort of good keynesianism wasn't it enormous growth especially in high income countries where the benefits were widely shared but you can see what happened as far as the scale of global economic activity it should be called Gray's World product really is concerned we've had an enormous expansion in the global economy over the last 70 years and it's done great things it has lifted or it's helped to lift hundreds of millions of people out of poverty to give people a quality of life which previous generations couldn't have been dreamed of and all the modern technology that goes along with it as well I would however just briefly suggest that well first of all the the benefits of this growth have gone disproportionately to the global North U.S Australia Japan and Western Europe of course they have it's been built on extracting renewable and non-renewable resources from the planet and particularly on the use of fossil fuels to power our economy so we're we're the ones that are responsible historically for the carbon dioxide emissions which have put us in the position we are now and most importantly I think there is reasonably clear evidence that once you get on a per capita basis to about the size of the Estonian economy there's no statistically significant benefit to going beyond that in high income countries it's not that the economy isn't big enough to provide everybody with a good quality of life the issue is about distribution not the scale of economic activity and you can you can see this using all sorts of metrics I just took this particular one it's not the best one but it happened to be convenient because it was on my computer if you look at subjective life satisfaction against GDP per capita and you restrict yourself to countries with a GDP per capita above that of Estonia you find there's no statistically significant relationship now if I put a line of best fit through that chart on the right it would be marginally upward sloping but as I said it's not statistically significant and there have been some other years if I wanted to cheat 2015-16 where it would have slowed downwards actually and that's also true if you're talking about um uh life expectancy if you're talking about crime rates if you're talking about a wide variety of metrics of what it means to have a successful Society once you get beyond the income per head of about Estonia higher income doesn't seem to do very much for you on the other hand it is always the case when we're looking at these metrics or what it means to have a successful Society uh homelessness for example that's another one it's always the case that lower inequality and a more successful Society go together so it seems that in lower income countries growth in GDP really matters in terms of improving the quality of people's lives but in the rich world and it's the rich world that's living unsustainably at the moment there really isn't evidence but in my view that that's the case at all remember at the moment I'm trying to stay agnostic on growth okay then let's go back to the beginning of econ 101. uh what's the first diagram you had in your introductory economics course it was probably a production possibility Frontier you remember that one it shouldn't have been the production possibility Frontier because that production possibility Frontier leaves the natural world of which we're apar and on which we depend out it should have been something like this chart which is taken from Professor descriptors uh um 2021 report for the UK Treasury as we were saying the economy is a subset of the biosphere the biosphere at least as far as material is concerned is effectively a closed system nothing gets in or out well virtually nothing gets in or out as far as energy is concerned it takes in energy from the Sun of course and emits uh waste heat into near space economy involves us extracting from the biosphere renewable and non-renewable resources energy to produce goods and services which as we consume them provide us with well-being use value but then we have used up those goods and services or they have depreciated and we've returned them or their constituent Parts anyway as waste to the natural environment to the biosphere now this graph already suggests that there is potentially a problem as the economy expands relative to the biosphere I know that's a little bit over simplistic but let's go with it for the moment if we uh if we oh hang on sorry I'm having a few issues here if we um if we extract too many renewable and non-renewable resources if we emit too many wastes then the biosphere our natural Capital which we depend will deteriorate over time and that will eventually have implications for what is possible for us to do within the economy and of course for um societies themselves bearing all this in mind let's go back to um one of the founders of ecological economics Herman Daley if you want to learn about him there was either last year at the beginning of this year there was a really good intellectual biography of him published by another well-known ecological Economist Peter Victor um Herman Daley's economics for a full world well what Herman Daley said back in the 1970s is that if on spaceship earth we want to live sustainably we don't want to you know when when governments deficits spend they're not borrowing from future Generations but when we live beyond our bio capacity we are in a sense if we don't want to do that then we must emit waste at a rate which does not exceed the absorptive capacity of the environment that means as far as carbon dioxide emissions are concerned we need to move very rapidly well before 2050 to zero net emissions we need to use Renewables at a rate which does not exceed the rate for which they can be renewed clearly um you can't cut down the whole growth forests without there being some impact on your well-being in the future and the well-being of the natural environment you can't catch other fish in the sea um and thirdly use non-renewables at a rate which does not exceed the rate at which well either you can discover other non-renewables to do the same thing or at which renewable substitutes can be adopted and there is potentially a problem with the rapid electrification of our economy and moving rapidly towards 100 Renewables because of the material footprint but doing that because of the construction which will be necessary in order to allow that to take place quickly but we'll come back to that in a few moments everybody loves the idea of a circular economy the right to repair Recycling and governments yes governments should use Investments public ownership uh regulation taxes and subsidies to promote as rapid a transition to a far more circular economy than we are doing at the moment and the same thing is true of regenerative agriculture but the term circular economy is to an extent a misnomer because you can never have 100 percent recycling there will always be some waste economic activity will always to an extent be linear it will always evolve to an extent taking in nutrients from the environment using them and then uh and them ending up being waste matter or or hate so there will always be environmental limits there are two main approaches which have been taken scientifically to identify the environmental limits on our impact on the planet one is when you you might be from the middle familiar with from the Earth Systems scientists at the global footprint Network where they have devised a way of attempting to identify for individual countries and for the whole planet the bio capacity the capacity of the planet too as I've just mentioned provide those resources which we're extracting from it absorb the waste which we are producing without our natural Capital deteriorating over time um a book which you can read to learn about how this is done is in a couple of slides times I'll refer to it when we when we get to it but an interesting thing from my perspective uh about this chart that you can see on the right hand side here is that it identifies that we were using up uh our bio capacity on a global basis in around the year 1970 so prior to 1970 economic activity occurred locally cause the um deterioration and collapse of ecosystems but on a global level the planet was able to sustain our impact on it until about 1970. since then we've had an ecological deficit and you're probably familiar with Earth overshoot Day that relates to this chart it's now the case that according to these guys we are using up about 1.75 planets worth of resources every year we are not living consistently with Hermann Daley's principles of sustainability and of course that's an issue and we can't help but notice that that's coming back to bite us already another approach which you might prefer to talking about environmental limits whilst eventually popularized by Kate rather's 2017 book donor economics which I've already mentioned the planetary boundaries approach Johan rockstrom will Stefan and others a bit more than 10 years ago now identified nine planetary boundaries one of which was to do with greenhouse gases and uh and climate change but only one of which which we need to um we need to respect if we are going to deliver to your children and their children a safe hospitable planet on which they can enjoy at least the same level of well-being if not a greater level of well-being than we're enjoying now so there'll always be limits now this is one of the problems with neoclassical economics neoclassical economics was devised in around about 1870 1870 to 1900 and certainly in 1870 there was basically no footprint at all from fossil fuels they hadn't really got going so there was a tiny human footprint on the planet relating to the buyer capacity of the planet ecological issues were essentially in irrelevance at least at the global level and they played no part in the development of neoclassical economics even in 1950 when the Great acceleration started according to the guys at the global footprint Network the human footprint on the planet was only about 50 of planetary biocapacity so if Keynes didn't spend a lot of time worrying about ecological issues given that he died in 1946 we can forgive him because at a global level uh ecological issues were not you need to be very far-sighted anyway to see some people did to see ecological issues as a relevant constraint for economic activity but then came the great acceleration and what an acceleration it was and how naive we might have been not to expect this to have an impact on our natural environment over time you can see again what happened to real GDP that basically real GDP and primary energy use have been almost perfectly correlated with each other there's very limited scope for relative decoupling where primary energy use is concerned at least based on evidence up until now and of course you see carbon dioxide uh concentrations increasing the same thing is true of other greenhouse gases and eventually with a delay which I won't worry about now you see surface temperature rising as well that's the gray acceleration as people like will Stefan would tell you it's related to the transition from the anthropocene to the from the Holocene I should say to the anthropocene it's the transition from a 10 to 12 000 year period incredibly stable and and friendly climatic climate conditions the conditions which allow for all human civilizations to develop and economic developed to take place to a a set of circumstances now where our natural environment and the climate uh within which we have to live depends on our own activities so it's 1970 we are using up according to the people behind the global footprint um Network that's a book I recommend you read ecological footprint by Mathis Vaca Nagel and bias it's a fascinating book um that's when we reached our bio capacity uh people often talk about living within your means and as we know if you're a monetary Sovereign government um that that means nothing to you as far as financial resources are concerned we talk about real constraints in mmt this is the ultimate real constraint at least in the end if you live perpetually beyond your bio capacity then eventually your ability to produce goods and services to maintain your quality of life to maintain something like our modern societies is is eroded decoupling is then a word that people use a lot why can't we continue to grow GDP but at the same time reduce our ecological footprint well we've been quite successful in relative decoupling ecological economists they generally write it down in a much more complex form but they rely on something often called the impact equation you can see why it's called the impact equation from the top line here our impact on the biosphere our ecological footprint depends yes it depends on how many of us there are and it depends on our level of economic activity per person real GDP per person it also depends on what you can call technology if you like but what is a a a measure of archaeological impact per dollar of real GDP and that technological variable our impact per dollar has fallen rapidly over the last 50 years we've been very successful in reducing the resource active the resource intensity of economic activity over that 50-year period just checking the time over that 50-year period and the global population has a little bit more than doubled I don't want to imply that rapid population growth in low-income countries is the problem here certainly not the main problem because it is not in those countries where people are living unsustainably it's real GDP per person has also increased globally by a factor of a little bit more than two but our ecological impact only gone up by or maybe 1.75 now so there has been relative decoupling in some countries there's been some absolute decoupling but globally there's only been relative decoupling this is true whether you are talking about the ecological footprint in aggregate or whether you are talking about carbon emissions if you're talking about carbon emissions there are some countries that have managed some degree limited degree of absolute decoupling but as far as the planet is concerned it's just relative decoupling that we have we've managed to do what does this suggest this suggests that the problem is perhaps the continuing growing scale of our economic activity if GDP continues to grow our primary power use will continue to grow alongside it now we may be able technologically to Electrify our economies to move towards Renewables maybe some of you would like to move back towards nuclear power or that if if you want to go in that direction that takes time to do as well but the trouble is it's much harder to do that in a global economy which keeps growing rapidly over time and it may not be a feasible thing to do so we end up in 2022 rapidly eating into our natural Capital we end up with a growing biodiversity crisis and of course people are beginning to understand that global warming is not just about the average uh temperature increasing over time it's about increasingly extreme climate events one after another what Bill Mitchell in a blog post the other day talked talked about called uh polycrisis compounding on each other and if they were to continue in the next decade or two threatening our ability to provision ourselves and provide a quality of life that we used to let alone improve our quality of life as for emissions yes everybody is talking about moving towards net zero emissions well you know we've been talking about this politicians environmental scientists especially economists since the early 1990s and so far we have utterly failed they record you for Global carbon dioxide emissions ever will be 2022. so far we have made no progress whatsoever in moving towards net zero carbon dioxide emissions and I would also uh uh at this stage I'd like to urge you at some stage to go onto the website of the Geological Survey of Finland there is a great piece of research there by Simon Michelle which explains some of the things I was saying before it's really very difficult to see how particularly if we continue to pursue growthism as our overriding objective as far as policy is concerned um we'll be able to transition quickly enough to Renewables to allow ourselves um without making some uh uh what to my mind are implausible assumptions about technological advances or in geoengineering uh uh to uh zero net carbon emissions to retain a stable climate every year while carbon emissions are positive we are adding you know we're familiar with stop flow analysis in mmt from Godly and the war and all that but here's another application stop flow analysis as we put more carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into our environment then concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere goes up when I was in my 20s uh we used to say that what people used to say that a concentration of about 350 parts per million was a safe concentration consistent with global warming of no more than about one degrees Celsius um nobody talks about that anymore because we've gone far past it and it what people tend to say now is that if we go from 350 to eventually 450 and we're we're on route to getting to there uh in say 15 years time if things continue as they are at the moment if we don't get the promised and very rapid reductions in carbon dioxide emissions well if 350 uh parts per million was alarm Bells 450 Parts million would be potentially catastrophic as far as global warming is concerned that's what the climate scientists including some quite well-known ones who have now joined the extinction Rebellion approach to protesting about these issues are saying um this is uh data drawn from uh the ipcc um scientific report that came out last year um I don't want to dwell on this for too long apart from to say that if we want according to this data a 50 likelihood of meeting the Paris climate change commitment then we've not got much more than 10 years worth of emissions left at the current level of emissions depending on the assumptions you make about non-carbon dioxide emissions of of greenhouse gases uh that's very difficult to do we're getting to the point where that would involve going from circumstances where carbon dioxide emissions are growing every year to reducing them by something like well close to 10 per annih every year year after year if we were to bring that about um that's essentially not going to happen so if we put aside unlikely uh scientific advances 1.5 degrees Celsius global warming has gone the 1.7 degree still non-catastrophic figure has not gone it seems much more achievable and two degrees of global warming based on this data looks very achievable indeed I mean even if we could reduce our emissions by something like three percent per annum and just keep doing that difficult to do you know rapidly growing global economy but if if we could do that then we could we could meet that carbon budget the problem is would you get on a plane and fly to Australia if somebody told you there was a 50 chance the plane was going to crash no of course you wouldn't why do they talk about 50 or 66 likelihoods because when you talk about 90 likelihoods the data looks very different and much less encouraging in fact if you and it was a a former leading executive of the coal industry that pointed this out to me and some other people if you take a 90 likelihood of keeping global warming below two degrees we have already used our Park carbon budget it's too late to do that the issue then of course is that once you get to two degrees Celsius of global warming or Beyond it environmental tipping coins become far more likely we are reading all the time more and more stories about the erosion of Arctic summarize that may have a knock-on effect as far as Atlantic circulation is concerned which may have a knock-on effect as far as the weather the climate the local climate over the Amazon turning the Amazon from the carbon sink into a emission emitter of carbon dioxide and why this is risky is because if we do if we do tip these tipping points then we could lose control of a climate system and then we have a far less Hospital future to deal with than than we would like so we need to end Grocers um I'm not necessarily saying that gross domestic products in high income countries has to be has to shrink I am saying that the pursuit of continued economic growth as without even thinking about it the be all an end or objective of managing our economies has got to be abandoned Donella Meadows the lead author of The Leominster growth report which came out in the early 70s soon after we passed the Earth by a capacity in terms of our ecological footprint put it very nicely on one occasion growth of what and why and for whom and who pays the costs well you know growth so far has been largely at the benefit of the global North who has paid the cost at the overwhelming majority almost all climate related deaths so far have been in the global South how much is enough how are we going to manage our economies in the future that's where we get from Stephanie kelton's deficits that matter to Kate rower's donor economics her donut model the nine planetary boundaries that rockstrom and Stefan and others identified in 2009 are listed around the outside of Kate Roller's donut if we are inside those boundaries we are living sustainably but what K of course pointed out is that if you're at the center of that Circle you'll be living within all those boundaries but you'll be living a life poverty and destitution we have to use up some of the Earth's resources to provide people with food water energy housing income and work so the problem in terms of future Economic Development and if you are a young person learning about modern monetary Theory this is your problem I'm afraid we're passing it on to you largely the problem is how do we manage our economies in the future to ensure that whatever set of social foundations we might identify and Kate's measures were based quite closely on the UN sustainable development goals we can meet those social foundations for the great mass of people for virtually everybody while living within our ecological ceiling that is the challenge for the Next Generation you understand modern monetary Theory you understand the appropriate role for the government the government budget to play Within the economy you understand that the government's not going to run out of its own currency the government should be using monetary sovereignty in the years to come to promote the public purpose what is the public purpose to meet the social foundations of the good quality of life while not staying outside our ecological ceiling and of course making the Investments that we need to make in the years to come is likely to involve a significant growth in Real GDP for a time but we need to be aware that we are eating in to our natural Capital we're making Investments now to allow us to live within to restore that natural Capital later on these are the kind of issues we need to think about how well our country is doing at the moment um research by okay is linked to Oxford University but research by colleagues of character ecological economists at the University of Leeds and the well-known lse Anthropologist Jason heckrell has investigated this most recently in a paper from this year um in order to have data which is comparable for almost all countries around the world they've had to vary um the the data that they use for social foundations and ecological ceiling a little bit from what you find in casebrook but it's the same basic idea on the horizontal axis we have biophysical boundaries transgressed per capita for most of the countries in the world on the vertical axis we have the number of social foundations achieved a developed economy would be in the top left-hand corner of this chart where you can see that donut to get there the quote Bill Mitchell's Blog the organization of economic activity our patterns of consumption and conduct of Economic Policy must all change radically all countries need to change put in another way there are no developed economies at the moment but not all in the same way the high income economies like Australia where I live they are meeting almost all the social thresholds of a good quality of life and to the extent that they are not generally this is related to a problem for the distribution of income and wealth so the problem there is to maintain and even improve the quality of life for the majority of people while moving within our biophysical boundaries in a country like Australia I think that inevitably if only we could get to this Tipping Point this social and political Tipping Point involves public ownership of the energy system of public transport of Public Services in general and even I'm working with a private university I include in that um well a decommodified public services which means free education including higher education but it involves a variety of other things too different countries will have different ways of achieving it but that's the problem in those countries the countries in Orange here well their countries that are not on a per capita basis transgressing and many of their biophysical boundaries they are living largely sustainably ecologically speaking but the problem for those countries is to improve the quality of people's lives while continuing to live sustainably and that relies on a transfer of real resources and Technology from the high income countries among other things and then there's the third group of countries which are not living ecologically sustainably but are also not meeting the social thresholds and those countries tend to be countries very high levels of inequality but everybody needs to move towards the top left-hand corner and we somehow have to do this on a global level it's not just negotiations relating to carbon emissions it's all those planetary boundaries it's all the elements contributing towards our ecological footprint while dealing with the um the consequences of colonialism and neocolonialism and Global Injustice which means so many people the people who are suffering the consequences of of of climate change at the moment have not enjoyed the benefits of the economic activity which the exploitation of fossil fuels and the materials we've taken out of our biosphere has allowed the rest of us to do so I need to hurry up and finish what's the first thing we need to do we need to stop talking about growth in Real GDP as being something which is good in itself it is at the most and means to an end but we need then to start asking questions like the questions Donald Meadows used to ask um what's the cost of that growth now who bears that cost so we need to change the goal from growth to development we can use a panel of indicators as with Jason hickle and his co-authors in order to measure this or if you're going to use the approach which my close friend and colleague Phil Long and some other ecological economists have pioneered then you can argue that the genuine progress indicate is a metric of economic success of the impact of economic activity on human well-being Which is far superior to GDP in that it at least attempts to identify both the benefits and the costs economic and social of economic activity and to subtract a measure of the environmental cost the environmental impact of that activity so you are looking at a measure of the net benefit to society or of economic activity over time and maximizing the genuine progress indicator rather than maximizing GDP um would give policy makers more of an incentive to introduce those policies which are consistent with finding the safe and just just space for Humanity the Ring of Kate rower's donor so either of those two approaches is fine we need to guarantee everybody Economic Security and the opportunity to contribute to social provisioning a job guarantee is important in ecological economics as it is in in modern monetary Theory we need to fund and of course monetary Sovereign governments are the institutions which are in a position to fund the very large-scale Investments that we need to make in renewable energy in green infrastructure in all the things that we need to do in order to transition to a sustainable future economy we need to rethink issues like working week and the retirement age and what we value one way or another we need to adopt binding cumulative quantitative limits for all planetary boundaries otherwise we really don't have much of a future and where do we find the money well there was a uh I wrote a chapter for a book that was published at the beginning of this year sustainability in the New Economic synthesizing ecological economics and modern monetary Theory there's a chapter from Steve Keane in there as well by the way edited by Stephen Williams and Lord Taylor which which discusses um well generally who needs to fund it High income monetary suffering governments from the global North how can we pay for a green New Deal that is uh um mmt authors have have tackled that issue very well indeed already but it's not just about a national free new deal it's about a global free New Deal where we are about maximizing human well-being while living within our planetary boundaries and this is something that I think is going to happen to you we are going to over the next decade experience a series of climate and potentially other ecological crises that are going to make it more and more obvious to people that business as usual is not an option that the approach to managing these issues which has been put forward and promoted by a neoclassical economists is not good enough and that we need to try a different approach and I think at some stage um I hope at some stage that people with a thorough understanding of modern monetary Theory of what is important to human well-being of um ecological economics of our planetary boundaries if you like are going to basically be in a situation where when when politicians have tried everything else they'll be turning to us and we need to be ready to meet that Challenge and in a sense it's the same old mmt challenge we're not going to be sure of US Dollars we're not going to be short of Euros we're not going to be sure of Australian dollars we're not going to be sure of Japanese Yen we are going to be sure of the real resources we need to improve human well-being over time and while there is still time avoid social collapse finding the money should be the easy part I'm just an economics teacher I'm not a great researcher or anything so I'm just doing what I thought it was useful for me to do and so with our chief executive Gabrielle Bond and someone who is a really good economics researcher as I mentioned before Australia's leading ecological Economist Phil long we eventually managed to persuade Torrance University to let us offer a global online Master's Degree in the economics of sustainability which we have been working like mad people to get ready in time for the first intake of students which is the beginning of next month and I hope that people coming through this program and I hope that there will be more programs like this the more competition we get the better around the world as time goes by I had people coming through this program are going to transform policy institutions uh um business finance some of them are working not-for-profits maybe eventually some of them will even overthrow mainstream or neoclassical economics departments and we can get on and deal with the problems which we undoubtedly face in the next century with tools which are fit for those problems and neoclassical economics as I said was misleading in the last century but it's dangerous in this one the economics was dominated our narrative in the 20th century is not fit for purpose in the 21st and it's up to people like you to replace it and that's the end of the talk thank you thank you so thank you very much Professor Hale for this exciting and thrilling lecture uh so now let me open uh the Q a session so if you have questions please come over here so first and ask you questions Steve and I greeting to you in uh Adelaide my name is Freddie from Sydney I'm um oh hello I'm actually joining your program as you first intake one of your first interviews I recognized your name yes and my good looks like it um the question I have is about the adoption of the language Net Zero by 2050 and that's become widespread as a Target to be understood it's the wrong target truly it has to be gross Zero by 2050. NetZero means we simply don't keep adding to the atmosphere and the Earth can sequester through the land sector huge volumes of atmospheric CO2 but Net Zero means that ability is used to offset pollution so shouldn't we have the language of net pollution zero pollution by 2050 and net sequestration otherwise we're too late thank you thanks that's great question uh Timothy yeah I agree with you the only way I disagree with you is I think 2050 is an irrelevant figure um I think that's far too late um I think that um the 2050 figure when you look at ipcc reports um scenarios which are consistent with us keeping global warming below two degrees with Net Zero by 2050 they very often they're either extremely optimistic about about our ability to cut emissions so the assumption is always that we're going to start kind of the next year they make that every year and and we never get around to doing that and the the second way in which they're often um or most of those scenarios are unrealistic because they make assumptions about carbon capture and storage which uh are are on the optimistic side so I am with climate scientists like Kevin Anderson and Earth system scientists like will Stefan who are more likely to talk about um zero emissions by the early 2040s or even the late 2030s if you seriously wanted to aim for uh 1.7 degrees of global warming I you can tell I'm not an expert in this area I'm really just I wish I had Phil with me because he is but uh I'm trying to justify I suppose why we are trying to change change and it seems a very arrogant thing to do we're trying to change economics education I think every economics degree should be centered on ecological economics and modern monetary Theory we are offering this program which will be great to see you on Freddie um because uh there are a few places where Modern monetary Theory makes a significant part of the of the curriculum there are a few more places where you can study ecological economics but as far as we're aware there aren't any places other than where you can train in both and I think they're both extraordinarily important elements of an economics for the the 21st century but yes I agree with you hi my name is Amos and um I wanted to ask uh you discussed wealth and the income inequality and assuming that trade unions are an important or major instrument in reducing inequality I want to ask if there's an internal conflict or contradiction between the goal of reducing CR missions or in-house gas emissions and maintaining powerful trading movement as unionized label today is based mostly in carbon-based Industries I don't think that there is no and in fact I am not only a member of a trade Union but I'm very much in favor of a powerful Trade union movement uh I think that I mean in Australia for example uh I think obviously we're big exporters of uh coal and natural gas too and I yes I believe that we need to go through a planned reduction in scale of those Industries and as far as thermal coal is concerned it needs to be phased out quite quickly um I when we had our conference in Adelaide two years ago the leader of the coal miners Union in Australia and Tony Mayer was at the conference was a speaker at the conference and um I think that um people are rapidly becoming aware of what we need to do in the future and then it's important first of all that um communities for example coal communities they need to see that there is a good future for them beyond the coal industry people need to see that they're going to have employment opportunities and people need to be compensated we can't pass the transition costs on to a small group of people coal miners are not responsible for the emissions which result from the burning of of Carl as a fossil fuel so I think discussions with trade unions and Trade union leaders have a very important part to play in a transition to a sustainable future and we can't do it without them but of course in the long run they have children and grandchildren two so I think when we talk about uh ecological constraints we're just talking about reality we have to find a way to have honest conversations with people and I think this is beginning to happen now very slowly um we have that's why we had Tony Mayer at the conference um we uh got on really well he was very interested in the idea of a federal job guarantee he understands that the coal industry is going to close between now and 2050. the coal miners Union understand that perfectly well and then it's about looking after their members and the communities in which their members live people have to be offered however you do it a a a a a future where their standard of living is maintained and where they have employment opportunities decent employment opportunities it's not easy to do but uh it's it's a a vital part of the transition so no I don't I don't see that there is necessary a conflict I think trade unions are a vitally important part of a transition to a just uh future where we are living sustainably people having a good quality of life people are still in employment but they're not doing the same things they were doing before foreign I'm wondering you were showing this graph where you show to us that um first of all the major fossil fuel extracting countries are really on the wrong side and I wonder whether you know about countries or movements or political parties who are somehow taking up these challenges which you have been describing and maybe if there are what we could learn from them okay as I said I know an expert Kate rower will tell you that if you wanted to identify a country which was uh um which was doing better in terms of pursuing a sustainable uh a future with a circular economy and a regenerative Approach To Nature the best candidate is probably Costa Rica but I can't claim to tell you all about that I know there are some videos about about that that you can look at online in terms of political parties and I reluctantly have been in recent years a member of a political party um uh they have flaws like all other political parties do and this term doesn't mean the same thing in every country around the world either but I am a member will be a non-active one of the Australian greens I give them a membership fee and they main reason for that really is that they continue to argue for targets for reducing carbon dioxide emissions in Australia which are consistent with the science we have a better government in Australia now than we had earlier this year we have more challenging and more challenging Target than we had before um but we still have very limited policy decisions to to promote a more rapid transition to lower carbon emissions we still have a government that talks about um buying carbon credits internationally and I really don't think uh I I don't as far as I'm aware um uh the uh that system is not one that I trusted so uh and we've got a government with a a a target for from 2005 to 2030 uh 40-something percent reduction in carbon emissions including those that come from uh land use changes um we need to be 75 or more in Australia and other countries otherwise there's no way we are heading for 1.7 degrees of global warming we're heading for 2.7 or more and even quite conservative climate scientists will tell you that um so I think everyone depending where you are in the world you need to look for political parties or politicians to support and to get behind who are prepared to argue for policies which are consistent with at least as far as climate change is concerned with uh with um with the science and in Australia the Liberal Party are conservative certainly aren't but even the labor party even the government we have now they've sort of taken half a step in the direction of sustainability but they got much further to go they're being pressured on that by the greens and others and while the greens continue to pressure them on that then I'm going to keep paying my membership fees to the Australian greens I can't say the Australian greens always talk as though they understand modern monetary Theory however I have to say so also from you very thank you very much for the the presentation um and also I think very important to to connect the the ecological transition to mmt because I think rather from going of a narrative of scarcity and abstinence uh towards a prosperous future for everyone I think because that wind in the end majority is which we need uh to to get them to the planet and then not the planet but us surviving um but still I'm wondering because I think the transition for the industrialized world is already hard enough but we also have to move up plenty of people living in extreme poverty so how confident are you that we can are able to lift these people up while remaining in the planetary bonus um if Bernie Sanders was the U.S president if Stephanie Carlton was the U.S treasury secretary if uh if we had uh Steve Keane and Bill Mitchell involved in the Australian government I'd be a lot more confident than I am at the moment uh I don't think that it is too lame um from an you know from an economics point of view or from a from a climate science point of view I sometimes think it's too late from a political point of view because I'll be honest with you I can't see um it's it's not going to happen tomorrow the political Tipping Point and if a republican wins the next U.S presidential election I'll be very pessimistic indeed and my colleague at modern money lab Gabrielle Bond already is on the streets getting arrested and gluing herself to the road I'll be doing that give it five years and if we have not seen major political changes especially in North America and I the Biden government of course is a great Improvement on the Trump one but um they're going to go back to Republican Administration or they may do um uh so how optimistic am I I don't have the expertise to say I am confident uh if people like Stephanie Kelton and Kate rowers and Mariana maticato and Economist like there had more influence and we had genuinely Progressive governments in high income countries that also understood and were prepared to tell the truth about the injustices from historical and present-day colonialism and to look for just as we should have a treaty in Australia with our first Nations people here so the global North there should be a global treaty for work with those countries that have suffered the consequences of of colonialism his historical could we do all those things could we build a future where everybody had a good quality of life and we were living sustainably yes um will we I don't know the answer to that question that doesn't mean I'm going to the other catastrophic extreme that we're going to be faced with social collapse but it does mean that we are going to have I'm sure we're going to have a a significantly more global warming we have already we're going to go um or probably well beyond two degrees of global warming there are going to be tens of millions of climate related deaths and other deaths relating to uh uh indirectly to issues like a loss of biodiversity and as always historically the great cost is going to be on low-income people in the global South and it's our responsibility I can see some of you are young and you're European it's your responsibility to get involved in politics and economics and do something about this so let me um let me conclude uh and thank you very much Steven uh for your time and for the talk uh we hope to see you next year probably uh okay so uh that was it and please send me your presentation because I I think I don't have it absolutely and thank you very much everybody for listening I hope I haven't bought everybody to death and thanks to the organizers of uh of this summer school it's a it's really a really important ongoing contribution to mmt education and uh I just want to say to everybody what you're learning now is going to place you in a position in five or ten years time when uh everybody in the world is going to want to know about what you know now and the supply of that expertise is going to be very limited you're you are you are important people like you are going to be very important in the next five 10 15 20 years I wish you all the best uh enjoy the rest of the summer school and thanks for listening to me thank you.



MMT と生態経済学 | MMTサマースクール2022でのスティーブン・ヘイル

2022/08/12(16)



ええと、皆さん、こんにちは。一緒にいられてとても光栄です。皆さん、私の声が聞こえますか。ええ、私の声が聞こえると思います。ええ、大丈夫です。ありがとうございます。ええと、アデレード ヒルズからお話ししています。ですから、まず謝辞から始めたいと思います。
 ですから、他の人に影響されない好みに基づいて、彼らは非常によく理解しているので、今どれだけ働くか、どれだけの余暇を取るかを決めることができます。生産性は、過去にこの人的資本にどれだけ投資したかに依存し、合理的な決定を下して、将来を見て、借りる金額についてほぼ完全な見通しを立て、後で返済するか、新しいケインジアン経済学では、彼らは完全な独占的競争を行っているため、価格設定を行うことができますが、基本的にはデフォルトの市場モデルであり、それがすべての人の背後にあります.私たちの心は常に完璧な競争であり、これからの逸脱は市場の失敗として扱われ、生態系の問題について考える場合、たとえば二酸化炭素排出量について考える場合、他のすべての仮定を考えると、それらは負の外部性と見なされます。 'これらの負の外部性の社会的コストを正確に特定し、最適な税を特定するために将来を調べることは可能です。そして、最適な税を実装することによって外部性を内部化すると、理論的には消費と生産プロセスに代替があり、技術的なつまり、リソースの理想的なリリースとパレート最適な配分が得られ、経済は永遠に成長し続けることができます。このスライドの左側の漫画 これはばかげた仮定の魔法の世界です それは常に何億もの人々の幸福を最大化することを妨げてきました それは常に不平等をもたらしました 金融の不安定さと危機 そして今ではそれは私たちの生存、または少なくとも私たちの文明の存続に対する脅威であるため、一連の経済的基盤に代わるものが必要であり、さらに、これは困難なことであり、私が懸念している限り、社会的転換点が必要です。現実世界の政治家、財務省、中央銀行、その他の機関が意思決定を行う方法にこれらの基盤を組み込む必要があるため、生態学的なものよりも前に、この新しい経済学における唯一の要素ではなく最も重要な要素は、現代の貨幣理論と生態学的経済学です。 5年から10年前、MMTには生態学的問題があると時々感じていました.MMTは、経済をより速く成長させる効率的な方法であると人々に見られていることが多すぎます。私はもうそれを考えていません。他の多くの人々の中であなたと一緒にいるスティーブ・キーンとええとケンズ、そしてファデル・カボブ、特にステファニー・ケルトンは、時間の経過とともに現代の金融理論を生態学的経済学に引き寄せてきました。ケイト・ローワーによるドナー経済学である近年のエコロジカル・エコノミクスのための偉大な普及本 2冊を並べて読むと、これら2冊の本には非常に大きな類似点があり、その左下隅にある引用を見ることができますこの画面は、生態系の持続可能性と完全雇用の人間の幸福を組み合わせた、より繁栄した世界です 不平等の程度が低く、すべてのニーズを満たす優れた公共サービスは、これらの本のいずれかから来る可能性があります。ステファニーの本から来ていますが、私たちはMMTと生態経済学を一緒に引きずっています.2020年の初めにアデレードで開催した会議では、ステファニー・カーティンとビル・ミッチェルが出席しましたが、エコノミストではなく非常によく知られている生態経済学がありました. Phil だけでなく、Robert costanzo や Mark diesendorf などもこれに小さな役割を果たした可能性があるため、MNT と生態学的経済学が非常に重要である場合.の本ですが、私たちはMMTと生態経済学を一緒に引きずっています.2020年の初めにアデレードで開催した会議では、ステファニー・カーティンとビル・ミッチェルが出席しましたが、フィルだけでなく経済学者ではなく非常に有名な生態経済学がありました.しかし、ロバート・コスタンゾやマーク・ディーゼンドルフなどもこれに小さな役割を果たした可能性があるので、MNTと生態学的経済学がそれほど重要である.の本ですが、私たちはMMTと生態経済学を一緒に引きずっています.2020年の初めにアデレードで開催した会議では、ステファニー・カーティンとビル・ミッチェルが出席しましたが、フィルだけでなく経済学者ではなく非常に有名な生態経済学がありました.しかし、ロバート・コスタンゾやマーク・ディーゼンドルフなどもこれに小さな役割を果たした可能性があるので、MNTと生態学的経済学がそれほど重要である.
 そして、それらが修士号の中心になるとしたら、数週間のうちに最初の入学を控えているところです。主な要素は何ですか。これら2つの考え方の中心的な要素は何ですか。私はほとんど知りません。ここで mmt のコラムについてお話しする必要があります 現代の通貨理論の基礎を構築する上で主要な人物が誰であったかは誰もが知っています はい、Abalone や Wing Godly や Jaime Minsky のような前世代の経済学者の肩に乗っていますが、私はいつもビッグ 4 ですウォーレン・モスラー、ビル・ミッチェル、ランドール・レイ、ステファニー・ケルトンだと思います。彼女は mmt の有名な作家であるだけでなく、Stephanie Bell um として、現代の貨幣理論の基礎において非常に重要ないくつかの初期の論文を書きました。通貨制度について 通貨の発行者と通貨の使用者の区別は非常に重要です 決定要因と通貨主権の重要性を理解することも重要です 税金を徴収する通貨を発行する場合、あなたが通貨主権者であることは誰もが知っています通貨は、固定レートで不足する可能性のある商品または外貨に交換できません。重要な外貨建てがない場合、それよりも少し複雑ですが、それは.あなたが通貨の主権者である場合、私たちが知っている本質的なことです もちろん、実際の制約に直面しますが、純粋に金融的な制約に直面することはありません 自分の通貨を使い果たすことはありません 私たちは皆、神がいつ性的なものを去るかについても知っていることを知っていますマクロ経済学へのアプローチのバランスをとる 通貨システムの非政府部分が完全雇用され、純金融資産を蓄積したい場合、通貨を発行する政府がそれらの金融資産を供給して経済を支えるために、明確な赤字を実行することが不可欠であることを私たちは知っていますこれは mmt の説明的な側面ですが、mmt には自由な台本の側面があることもわかっています。インフレのない完全雇用を維持するという目的についてよく話しますが、これは所得のより公平な分配を生み出すのに役立つ 1 つの方法です完全雇用が重要な理由はこれだけではありません.連邦政府の雇用保証がそれを実現し、経済サイクル全体で経済を安定させるのに役立つことを私たちは知っています。公共の目的が何であるかを常に詳細に指定するとは限りません.それは環境経済学のすべてです IIおそらく先に進む前に.MMTという用語の使用をやめて、左側の列をマクロ経済学と呼ぶことができるようにしたいと思います.右隅に環境経済学という用語を使用するのはやめたいと思います。私たちは皆、環境経済学者であるべきです。これは、経済 101 の開始時に私たちが考えていることであり、これは私たちが考えていないところから始まることです」ここから始めますが、生態学的経済学はケネス・バルディングによって開発されたものです。彼は言及に値します。素晴らしいエッセイがあります。オンラインでこれを調べて、来るべき宇宙船地球の経済学と呼ばれる 1966 年のヒーローをやったことがない場合は読んでください。これは実際には、私たちの廃棄物を吸収し、時間の経過とともに劣化することなくそこから資源を引き出すことを可能にする環境の生物学的能力を超える人間の環境への影響の影響に関するものですが、生態経済学の他の創始者であるニコラス・ジョーはローガンにあなたがするかもしれません.彼の学生であるハーマン・デイリーのことを聞いたことがありますが、すぐに言及しますが、私が言ったケイト・ラワットは、環境経済学の現代の非常に効果的な普及者です.寄付者の経済学を読んでください。経済の記述的な部分はもちろん社会の中にあります。社会は生物圏のサブセットであるため、生物圏が限られていることを考えると、私たちが行く場合はその中に住む必要がある惑星の境界があります。安定した住みやすい環境を維持するためには、エコロジカル フットプリントがその環境に与える影響に関心を持つ必要があります エコロジカル エコノミクスの規範的な部分とは何か ええと、彼らは常に最初に平等について話しているわけではありませんが、ほとんどの国では不平等のレベルが大幅に低くなっています。常にほとんどの場合、生態系経済学者の心の最前線と議論の最前線にある問題 生態系の持続可能性もちろん、彼らはしばしば効率について話しますが、私は「有効性」という言葉を使用することを好みます。なぜなら、「有効性」について話すとき、「効率性」という言葉は新古典派経済によって私たちから盗まれそうになっているからです。将来の世代の幸福を脅かすことなく、現在の世代の幸福を最大化するために、生態系資源を効果的に使用する必要があります。希少な生態系資源については、私たちが何に価値を置いているかを再考する必要があります.GDPと呼ばれるものの成長を最大化するかのように話すことは理にかなっていますか.私たちの圧倒的な目標は、はい、ちょうど私が話していたように、配布を再考する必要があります。これは、mmt が意味するように進化します。政府と公共投資にとって、もちろんそれはもちろん、規制や環境経済学者にとっては、はるかに大きな役割だと思います。キャップ アンド トレードについて話してください。なぜなら、炭素排出量を厳密に制限したいのであれば、それを実際に確実に行う何らかの方法が必要になるからです。もちろん、政治的な問題があり、既存のキャップ アンド トレード スキームは理想とはかけ離れています。炭素通貨のような代替案が存在する可能性があり、それを聞いたことがある人もいるかもしれません。無期限に二酸化炭素を排出し続け、大気中の二酸化炭素やその他の温室効果ガスの濃度を増加させ、私たちをますます危機に追いやるだろう。これらすべてをもう一度読む必要はありません。多かれ少なかれ自分自身を繰り返しますが、このスライドにあることの多くは、ほぼすべてのMMTエコノミストと同様に、ほとんどすべてのエコロジカルエコノミストによって共有されます。しかし、GDP が惑星の境界内で生活している間に GDP が成長できる場合、GDP に関する 2 つの点について、私は不可知論者であることを好みます。結構です。世界の総生産のGDPを大幅に縮小する必要があると優先順位を付けて言うつもりはありませんが、私は非常にええと、長期的な経済成長の可能性について懐疑的な言葉は何ですか。世界経済を年率 3% で 200 年間、200 年より少し長く成長させると想像するなら、算数だけで十分です。ある段階で起こります。現在の経済の1000倍の経済を手に入れることは、ある段階では起こらないでしょう。現在の経済の1000倍の経済を手に入れることは、ある段階では起こらないでしょう。
 世界経済は GDP の成長を止めようとしている 私は別の意味で GDP にとらわれていません 私たちは経済を組織化する方法を変える必要があります 私たちの経済の管理 私たちは何をどのように生産し消費するかを再考する必要があります私たちはいくつかのものを成長させ、他のものを成長させる必要があり、そのGDP統計について話しているとき、人々の幸福が国内総生産の上昇によって維持される経済を構築する必要があります。私たちには健全な生物圏がありません」家が全焼したり、水没したりした場合でも、健全な地球を維持することができます 人間の幸福を維持および改善するには、環境に対する見方を根本的に変える必要があります。私たちは離れており、依存しているので、グローバルな成長マシンから降りる必要があり、特に1950年以降の大きな加速の間、グローバルな成長マシンは絶対に驚くべきものでした。ケインジアン主義は、特に利益が広く共有された高所得国での巨大な成長ではありませんでしたが、グレイの世界の製品と呼ばれるべきである世界経済活動の規模に関する限り、何が起こったかを見ることができます.過去 70 年間に世界経済は大幅に拡大し、前の世代には不可能だった生活の質を人々に提供するために、何億人もの人々を貧困から救い出し、大きな成果を上げてきました。夢見ていたこと、そしてそれに付随するすべての最新技術も同様です.しかし、まず第一に、この成長の恩恵が世界の北アメリカ、オーストラリア、日本、そして西ヨーロッパに不釣り合いに広がっていることを簡単に示唆したいと思います。地球から再生可能および再生不可能な資源を抽出することに基づいて構築されており、特に化石燃料を使用して経済に電力を供給しているため、私たちを現在の立場に追い込んだ二酸化炭素排出の歴史的責任を負っているものであり、最も重要なことに、1 人あたりのベースでエストニア経済の規模になると、それを超えても統計的に有意な利点はありません 高所得国では、経済が十分に大きくないため、すべての人に良い生活の質を提供することはできません 問題は経済活動の規模ではなく、分配に関するものであり、これを使用して見ることができますあらゆる種類のメトリクスの中で、この特定のメトリクスを取得しました。これは最高のものではありませんが、たまたま便利でした。なぜなら、一人当たりの GDP に対する主観的な生活満足度を見て、一人当たりの GDP がエストニアよりも高い国に限定すると、統計的に有意な関係がないことがわかったからです。今、右のグラフに最適な線を引くと、わずかに上向きの傾斜になりますが、前述したように、統計的に有意ではなく、2015-16 年をごまかしたい場合、下向きに減速する年が他にもありました。実際、それはまた、平均余命について話している場合、犯罪率について話している場合、社会を成功させることが何を意味するかについてのさまざまな指標について話している場合にも当てはまります。エストニアの高収入についての頭はありません」一方、私たちがこれらの指標や成功した社会を持つことの意味を見ているとき、それは常に当てはまります。たとえば、ホームレスは別の例です。より成功した社会は団結するので、低所得国ではGDPの成長が人々の生活の質を改善するという点で本当に重要であるように見えますが、豊かな世界では、現時点で持続不可能な生活を送っているのは豊かな世界です.私の見解では、まったくその通りです。現時点では、私は成長にとらわれないように努めています。それでは、経済 101 の始まりに戻りましょう。あなたが経済学の入門コースで持っていた最初の図は、おそらく生産の可能性フロンティアだったでしょう。生産可能性フロンティアであってはならないことを覚えています。経済は生物圏のサブセットであり、少なくとも材料に関しては生物圏であると言っていたので、英国財務省の2021年の報告書から取られたこのチャートのようなものだったはずです。事実上、何も出入りしない閉じたシステムです エネルギーに関する限り、事実上何も出入りしません もちろん、太陽からエネルギーを取り込み、近くの宇宙に廃熱を放出します 経済は、生物圏からの抽出を伴います 再生可能再生不可能な資源: 商品やサービスを生産するためのエネルギー。これらを消費すると、幸福な使用価値が得られますが、その後、それらの商品やサービスを使い果たしたか、減価償却されてしまいました。いずれにせよ、それらまたはその構成部品を自然環境への廃棄物として生物圏に戻しましたが、このグラフは、生物圏に比べて経済が拡大するにつれて問題が発生する可能性があることをすでに示唆しています。ちょっと待ってください 申し訳ありませんが、ここでいくつか問題が発生しています もし私たちがあまりにも多くの廃棄物を排出すると、再生可能および再生不可能な資源を抽出しすぎると、私たちが依存している私たちの自然資本が劣化するでしょう時間の経過とともに、それは最終的に経済内で私たちができること、そしてもちろんこれらすべてを念頭に置いている社会自体に影響を与えるでしょう.生態経済学の創始者の 1 人であるハーマン・デイリーに戻ります。彼について知りたい場合は、昨年か今年の初めに、別の有名な生態経済学者ピーターによって出版された、彼の本当に優れた知的伝記がありました。完全な世界のためのビクターとハーマン・デーリーの経済学 ハーマン・デーリーが 1970 年代に言ったことは、宇宙船地球上で私たちが持続可能に暮らしたいのであれば、政府の赤字がいつ支出され、将来の世代から借りていないかをあなたに知られたくないということです。しかし、私たちが自分の生物学的能力を超えて生きるとき、私たちはある意味ではそうではありません.そのためには、環境の吸収能力を超えない速度で廃棄物を排出する必要があります。つまり、二酸化炭素の排出に関する限り、2050 年よりもかなり前に、使用する必要がある正味排出量をゼロにするために非常に迅速に移行する必要があります。更新可能な速度を超えない速度での再生可能エネルギーは、明らかに、将来の健康と自然環境の幸福に何らかの影響を与えることなく、成長する森林全体を伐採することはできません。あなたはできる'海で他の魚を捕獲し、同じことを行うために他の非再生可能資源を発見できる速度、または再生可能代替物を採用できる速度を超えない速度で、3番目に非再生可能資源を使用します。私たちの経済の急速な電化と100の再生可能エネルギーに向けて急速に進んでいる問題は、材料のフットプリントが原因である可能性がありますが、それを迅速に行うために必要な建設のためにそれを行っていますが、すぐに戻ってきますが、誰もが循環経済のアイデアを気に入っています 修復する権利 リサイクルと政府 はい、政府は投資 公的所有権 規制税と補助金を使用して、私たちよりもはるかに循環経済への移行を促進する必要があります同じことが再生型農業にも当てはまりますが、100% のリサイクルは不可能であるため、循環型経済という用語はある程度誤解されています。それらを使用して環境から栄養素を取り込む程度に常に進化し、最終的には廃棄物または憎しみになるため、常に環境制限が存在します環境制限を特定するために科学的に取られた2つの主なアプローチがあります地球への私たちの影響についての 1 つは、グローバル フットプリント ネットワークの地球システム科学者に精通している中間層の出身かもしれません。先ほど述べたように、地球のキャパシティについても述べたように、私たちが地球から抽出している資源を提供し、私たちが生産している廃棄物を吸収し、私たちの自然資本が時間の経過とともに劣化することはありません。数回のスライドで私は'私たちがそれに到達したときにそれを参照しますが、私の観点から見て興味深いのは、このグラフの右側にあるのは、私たちが地球規模でバイオキャパシティを使い果たしていることを示していることです. 1970年頃、1970年以前の経済活動は局所的に発生し、生態系の劣化と崩壊を引き起こしましたが、地球規模では、地球は1970年頃まで私たちの影響を維持することができました.おそらく、このチャートに関連する地球オーバーシュート デーについてよく知っていると思いますが、これらの人たちによると、私たちは毎年約 1.75 地球相当の資源を使い果たしているということです。問題と私たちはできる」それが私たちを苦しめるために戻ってきていることに気付くしかありません.環境の限界について話すことを好むかもしれないが、最終的にはケイトの2017年の本の寄贈者の経済学によって一般化される可能性のある別のアプローチ. 10年ちょっと前に9つの惑星の境界が特定されました。そのうちの1つは温室効果ガスと気候変動に関係していましたが、私たちがあなたの子供とその子供たちに届ける場合、私たちが尊重する必要があるのはそのうちの1つだけです子どもたちは、私たちが現在享受している幸福レベルよりも高いレベルではないにしても、少なくとも同じレベルの幸福を享受できる、安全で親切な惑星です。今では常に限界です これは新古典派経済学の問題の1つです 新古典派経済学は1870年頃に考案されました 1870年から1900年 そして確かに 1870年には化石燃料からの足跡は基本的にまったくありませんでした 彼らが実際に行っていなかったので地球の買い手能力に関連する地球上の小さな人間の足跡は、少なくとも世界レベルでは本質的に無関係であり、大規模な加速が始まった1950年でさえ、新古典派経済学の発展には何の役割も果たしませんでした。グローバル フットプリント ネットワーク 地球上の人間のフットプリントは、惑星のバイオキャパシティの約 50 にすぎません。彼が1946年に亡くなったことを考えると、生態学的問題について心配するのに多くの時間を費やしています.地球規模のレベルでは、生態学的問題はそうではありませんでした.経済活動に関連する制約がありましたが、その後、大きな加速が起こりました。それがどれほど加速したか、そしてこれが時間の経過とともに自然環境に影響を与えるとは予想しなかったことはどれほど単純だったのでしょうか。 GDP と一次エネルギー使用量は、ほぼ完全に相互に相関しています。」少なくともこれまでの証拠に基づいて、一次エネルギーの使用が関係している場合、相対的なデカップリングの範囲は非常に限られています。もちろん、二酸化炭素の濃度が増加していることがわかります。同じことが他の温室効果ガスにも当てはまり、最終的には遅延がありますが、心配なのは、地表温度の上昇も見られることです。それは人々が好む灰色の加速です。ステファンは、それは人新世から完新世への移行に関連していると言うでしょう。私は人新世に言うべきです。1万年から1万2000年の期間の移行 信じられないほど安定した友好的な気候条件 すべての人類文明の発展と経済発展を可能にする条件 現在、私たちの自然環境と気候が内在する一連の状況に至る私たちが生きなければならない時間は、私たち自身の活動に依存するため、1970 年のことです。地球規模のフットプリントの背後にいる人々によると、1970 年のことです。ええと、ネットワークは本です。Matis Vaca Nagel によるエコロジカル フットプリントを読んでバイアスをかけることをお勧めします。私たちの生物学的能力に達しました。ええと、人々は自分の収入の範囲内で生活することについてよく話します。金融主権政府であることは、金融資源に関する限り、あなたにとって何の意味もありません。mmt での実際の制約について話します。これは、少なくとも最終的には、生物学的能力を超えて永続的に生活し、最終的には現代社会のようなものを維持するために、生活の質を維持するために商品やサービスを生産する デカップリングは、人々がよく使う言葉であり、GDPを成長させ続けながら、同時にエコロジカルフットプリントをうまく削減できないのはなぜか「エコロジカル・エコノミストは相対的なデカップリングに非常に成功しています.彼らは一般的にそれをはるかに複雑な形で書き留めていますが、彼らはしばしば影響方程式と呼ばれるものに依存しています.上の行は影響方程式と呼ばれます 私たちの生物圏への影響 私たちのエコロジカル フットプリントは、私たちの人数や経済活動のレベルによって異なります 1 人あたりの実質 GDP必要に応じてテクノロジーを呼び出すことができますが、実質GDPの1ドルあたりの考古学的影響のAAA測定値とその技術変数は、過去50年間で1ドルあたりの影響が急速に低下し、リソースをアクティブに削減することに非常に成功していますその50年間の経済活動は、その50年間の時間をチェックするだけで、世界の人口は2倍強になっています.低所得国での急速な人口増加がここの問題であることを暗示したいのですが、人々が持続不可能な生活を送っている国ではないため、主要な問題ではないことは確かです.1人あたりの実質GDPも世界的に少し増加しています. 2つ以上ですが、私たちの生態系への影響は今では1.75しか増えていないため、一部の国では相対的なデカップリングが行われています絶対的なデカップリングがいくつかありますが、世界的には相対的なデカップリングしかありません。炭素排出量について話している場合は、炭素排出量について話している場合は、絶対的なデカップリングの程度をある程度限定的に管理している国がありますが、地球に関する限り.これは、GDPが成長し続ければ、経済活動の規模が拡大し続けていることが問題であることを示唆しています。技術的に私たちの経済を電化して再生可能エネルギーに移行することができるかもしれません.おそらくあなたの中には原子力に戻りたいと思う人もいるでしょう.もしあなたがその方向に行きたいのであればそれも時間がかかりますが、問題はそれです.時間の経過とともに急速に成長し続けるグローバル経済では、それを行うのははるかに困難であり、実現可能ではない可能性があるため、2022年には自然資本を急速に食い尽くすことになり、最終的には生物多様性の危機が拡大し、もちろん人々地球温暖化は単に平均気温が時間とともに上昇することだけではないことを理解し始めています先日のブログ記事でビル・ミッチェルが話していたことは、お互いに複雑化するポリクライシスと呼ばれるものです。今後 10 年か 20 年の間、自分自身を養い、生活の質を提供する私たちの能力を脅かすことになるでしょう。排出量に関しては、私たちの生活の質を改善することは言うまでもありません。1990 年代初頭からこの政治家、環境科学者、特にエコノミストについて話してきましたが、これまでのところ、世界の二酸化炭素排出量が 2022 年になると記録することは完全に失敗しています。

また、この段階で、ある段階で、フィンランド地質調査所のウェブサイトにアクセスすることをお勧めします。そこには、サイモン・ミシェルによる素晴らしい研究があり、私が言ったことのいくつかを説明しています政策に関する限り、最優先の目標として成長主義を追求し続けるとどうなるかを理解するのは本当に非常に困難になる前に.再生可能エネルギーへの十分な迅速な移行が可能になるため、技術の進歩や地球工学について信じがたい仮定を立てることなく、炭素排出量が毎年安定した気候を維持するために正味の炭素排出量をゼロにすることができます。

 Godly や戦争など、mmt でのストップ フロー分析についてはよく知っていることを付け加えておきますが、ここにはありません。もう 1 つのアプリケーションは、二酸化炭素やその他の温室効果ガスが環境に流入し、大気中の CO2 濃度が上昇するにつれてフロー分析を停止します。 350 ppm は、摂氏約 1 度以下の地球温暖化と一致する安全な濃度でした。もう誰もそれについて話していません。なぜなら、私たちはそれをはるかに超えており、現在人々が言いがちなのは、350 から最終的には 450 で、現在の状態が続けば、たとえば 15 年後にはそこに到達する予定です。350 uh パーツ パー ミリオンが警鐘を鳴らした場合、二酸化炭素排出量の約束された非常に急速な削減を十分に得ることができます。これらの問題について抗議するための絶滅反乱のアプローチに参加しました.ええと、これはええと、昨年発表されたIPCCええと科学的報告書から引き出されたデータです.ええと、私はこれについてあまり長く考えたくありませんこのデータによると、パリの気候変動へのコミットメントを達成する可能性が 50 である場合、二酸化炭素以外の排出量についての仮定に応じて、現在の排出量レベルに 10 年以上の排出量が残ることはありません。温室効果ガスのこれを実行するのは非常に困難であり、二酸化炭素排出量が毎年増加している状況から、毎年毎年 1 年あたり 10 近く削減することになる状況に到達しています。ええと、それは基本的に起こらないので、ありそうもない科学的進歩を脇に置くと、摂氏1.5度の地球温暖化は1になりました.地球温暖化は 7 度というまだ壊滅的な数字ではありませんが、このデータに基づくと 2 度の地球温暖化は非常に達成可能であるように見えます。世界経済が急速に成長していることはわかりませんが、それができれば炭素収支を達成できるかもしれません。もちろん、クラッシュすることはありません」なぜ彼らは 50 や 66 の可能性について話しているのですか? 90 の可能性について話すと、データが非常に異なって見え、実際、あなたと私や他の人にこれを指摘したのが石炭産業の元幹部だった場合、あまり有望ではないように見えるからです。地球温暖化を 2 度未満に抑える可能性が 90 である場合、私たちはすでに公園の炭素予算を使い果たしています。それをするには遅すぎる問題はもちろん、地球温暖化が摂氏2度に達するか、それを超えると、環境チップコインがはるかに可能性が高くなるということです。大西洋循環に関する限り、波及効果がある可能性があります。これは、天気、気候、アマゾン上の地域の気候、アマゾンを炭素吸収源から二酸化炭素の排出源に変える限り、波及効果を持つ可能性があります。なぜこれが危険なのかというと、これらの転換点を傾けると、気候システムの制御を失う可能性があり、対処する病院の未来が私たちが望むよりもはるかに少ないため、食料品店を終わらせる必要があるからです。 '必ずしも高所得国の国内総生産を縮小しなければならないと言っているわけではありません。私は、経済を運営する目的または目的がすべて目的であることを考えることなく、継続的な経済成長の追求を放棄しなければならないと言っているのです。レミンスターの成長レポートの筆頭著者であるドネラ・メドウズは、エコロジカル・フットプリントの容量で地球を通過した直後の 70 年代初頭に発表された、何を、なぜ、誰のために、誰が支払うかについての成長を非常にうまく説明しました。あなたがよく知っているコスト これまでの成長は、圧倒的多数でコストを支払った世界の北部の利益に大きく貢献してきました これまでのほとんどすべての気候関連の死は、地球規模の南部で発生しました。将来の私たちの経済ケイト・ローワーのドナーの経済学にとって重要なステファニー・ケルトンの赤字から得られるところ 彼女のドーナツモデル ロックストロームとステファンらが2009年に特定した9つの惑星の境界は、ケイト・ローラーのドーナツの外側にリストされています。しかし、もちろんKが指摘したのは、あなたがそのサークルの中心にいる場合、あなたはそれらすべての境界内で生活することになりますが、あなたは貧困と極貧の生活を送ることになるということです。人々に食料、水、エネルギー、住居、収入、仕事を提供することは、将来の経済発展の問題であり、あなたが現代の貨幣理論について学んでいる若い人であれば、これはあなたの問題です.それをあなたに伝えますが、主な問題は、私たちが特定する可能性のある一連の社会的基盤が何であれ、ケイトの措置が、私たちがそれらの社会的基盤を満たすことができる国連の持続可能な開発目標に非常に密接に基づいていることを保証するために、将来どのように経済を管理するかということです.次世代にとっての課題である生態系の天井の範囲内で生活している間、事実上すべての人のための膨大な数の人々 あなたは理解している 現代の通貨理論 あなたは政府の適切な役割を理解している 政府の予算が果たすべき経済の中であなたは政府のことを理解している自国通貨を使い果たすことはない 政府は今後数年間、金融主権を利用して公共の目的を推進すべきである 生態系の上限を超えずに、質の高い生活の社会的基盤を満たすという公共の目的とは何かそしてもちろん、今後数年間に必要な投資を行うことは、しばらくの間、実質 GDP の大幅な成長を伴う可能性がありますが、私たちが自然資本を食い尽くしていることに注意する必要があります。後でその自然資本を回復するために私たちが住むことができるようにするために、今投資を行っています。リーズ大学の性格生態経済学者と有名な国際社会学者のジェイソン・ヘックレルは、今年の論文でこれを調査し、世界中のほぼすべての国で比較可能なデータを得る必要がありました。彼らが社会的基盤と生態学的上限に使用するデータは、ケースブルックで見つけたものとは少し異なりますが、横軸は同じ基本的な考え方です 縦軸は世界のほとんどの国で 1 人あたりの生物物理学的境界を超えています 先進国経済が達成した社会的基盤の数はこの左上隅に表示されますビル・ミッチェルの言葉を引用してそこにたどり着くためのドーナツを見ることができるチャートs ブログ 経済活動の組織 私たちの消費パターンと経済政策の実施はすべて根本的に変えなければなりません すべての国が変わる必要があります 別の言い方をすれば、現時点で先進国はありませんが、オーストラリアのような高所得国はすべて同じようにではありません私が住んでいる場所では、彼らは質の高い生活のほとんどすべての社会的基準を満たしていますが、一般的にそうではないという点で、これは所得と富の分配の問題に関連しているため、そこにある問題は生活の質を維持し、さらには改善することです.オーストラリアのような国で私たちの生物物理学的境界内を移動している間、大多数の人々の生活の質.一般的なサービスと私は私立大学で働いていますが、その中には高等教育を含む無料の教育を意味する脱商品化された公共サービスが含まれていますが、それには他にもさまざまなことが含まれています。国が異なればそれを達成する方法も異なりますが、それはこれらの国の問題はここにあるオレンジ色の国であり、一人当たりベースではなく、生物物理学的な境界の多くを超えています。持続可能な生活を続け、それはとりわけ高所得国からの実際の資源と技術の移転に依存しています。これは、生態学的に持続可能な生活を送っておらず、社会的基準も満たしていない 3 番目のグループの国々です。これらの国は、非常に高いレベルの不平等の国である傾向がありますが、誰もが左上隅に向かって移動する必要があり、私たちは何とかしなければなりません。これは世界レベルでは、炭素排出に関する交渉だけではなく、地球上のすべての境界であり、植民地主義と新植民地主義の結果、そして地球規模の不正に対処しながら、私たちのエコロジカル フットプリントに貢献するすべての要素です。現在、気候変動の結果に苦しんでいる人々は、化石燃料と材料の開発による経済活動の恩恵を享受していません。私たちの生物圏から取り除かれたことで、残りの私たちにそれができるようになったので、急いで最初にやるべきことを終わらせる必要があります。せいぜい、そして目的を達成することを意味しますが、その後、ドナルド・メドウズがその成長のコストはどれくらいかを尋ねていたような質問をし始める必要があります。そのコストを誰が負担するのかということです。これを測定するためのジェイソン・ヒックルと彼の共著者と同様の指標のパネル。私の親しい友人であり同僚であるフィル・ロングと他のエコロジカル・エコノミストが開拓したアプローチを使用する場合、真の進歩は、経済活動が人間の幸福に与える影響の経済的成功の指標であると主張できます.少なくとも、経済活動の経済的および社会的利益とコストの両方を特定し、環境コストの測定値をその活動の環境への影響から差し引くことを試みているという点で、GDPよりも優れています。 GDP を最大化するのではなく、真の進歩指標を最大化することは、政策立案者に、人類のための安全でちょうど良いスペースを見つけることと一致する政策を導入するためのより多くのインセンティブを与えるでしょう。のドナーなので、これらの 2 つのアプローチのどちらでも問題ありません。すべての人に経済安全保障と社会的プロビジョニングに貢献する機会を保証する必要があります。雇用の保証は、現代の貨幣理論と同様に、環境経済学においても重要です。政府は、私たちが再考する必要がある持続可能な未来の経済に移行するために必要なすべてのことにおいて、グリーンインフラストラクチャの再生可能エネルギーに行う必要がある非常に大規模な投資に資金を提供する立場にある機関です。週の労働時間や退職年齢などの問題や、私たちが何らかの形で評価するものは、すべての惑星の境界に対して拘束力のある累積的な量的制限を採用する必要があります。未来はたくさんありますが、どこでお金を見つけることができるのでしょうか。今年の初めに出版された本の持続可能性に関する章を書きました。環境経済学と現代の金融理論を統合する新しい経済学の章があります。スティーブ・キーンもそこにいます。スティーブン・ウィリアムズとロード・テイラーが編集した方法で、誰がそれに資金を提供する必要があるかについてよく話し合っています。著者たちはすでにその問題に非常にうまく取り組んでいますが、それは全国的な無料の新しい契約だけではありません.これは、私たちが地球の境界内で生活しながら人間の幸福を最大化することを目的とした、グローバルで自由なニューディールに関するものです。これは、今後10年間で一連の気候を経験し、潜在的にあなたに起こると思います。他の生態学的危機は、新古典主義の経済学者によって提唱され促進されてきたこれらの問題を管理するためのアプローチが十分ではなく、私たちがする必要があることを、通常通りのビジネスは選択肢ではないことを人々にますます明らかにするでしょう.別のアプローチを試してみると、ある段階で、人間の幸福にとって何が重要であるかについての現代の通貨理論を完全に理解している人々が、必要に応じて私たちの惑星の境界の生態学的経済学を基本的に理解していることを願っています。いつ、いつ、どこにいる政治家は、彼らが私たちに向ける他のすべてのことを試みました。私たちはその挑戦に対応する準備ができている必要があります。ある意味では、それは同じ古いMMTの挑戦であり、米ドルを確信することはできません。ユーロがなければ、オーストラリアドルについて確信が持てない 日本円について確信が持てない 時間の経過とともに人類の幸福を改善するために必要な実際の資源について確信が持てるだろう。時間は社会の崩壊を避けるお金を見つけることは簡単な部分であるべきです私はただの経済学の教師です私は優れた研究者でも何でもないので、私にとって有益だと思ったことをしているだけです。ガブリエル・ボンドと、私がオーストラリアの前に述べたように、本当に優れた経済研究者である誰か.の主要なエコロジカル エコノミスト フィル長い間、私たちは最終的にトーランス大学にグローバルなオンライン マスターを提供するよう説得することができました。s 持続可能性の経済学の学位を取得し、来月初めの学生の最初の受け入れに間に合うように準備を整えています。このプログラムを受講してくれる人が増えることを願っています。このようなプログラム 競争が激化すればするほど、時間が経つにつれて世界中でより良いものになります このプログラムを通じて参加した人々は、政策機関を変えようとしています ええと、ビジネスファイナンス 彼らの何人かは非営利で働いています おそらく最終的には彼らの何人かはそうなるでしょう主流または新古典派の経済学部門を打倒することさえできれば、前世紀には誤解を招くと私が言ったように、それらの問題と新古典派の経済学に適したツールを使用して、間違いなく次の世紀に直面する問題に対処することができます。これは危険です 経済学が支配していました 20 世紀の私たちの物語は 21 世紀の目的にはふさわしくなく、それを置き換えるのはあなたのような人々次第です。ヘイル、このエキサイティングでスリリングなレクチャーを聞いてくれました。Q a セッションを開かせてください。質問がある場合は、まずここに来て質問してください。スティーブと私はアデレードで挨拶します。私の名前はシドニーのフレディです。ええと、こんにちは。私は実際にあなたのプログラムに参加しています。あなたが最初のインタビューの 1 つを初めて受けたときです。私はあなたの名前を認識しました。はい、私の見栄えはそれのようです。ええと、私が持っている質問は、2050 年までに Net Zero 言語が採用されることについてです。理解すべき目標として広く普及しているが、それは間違った目標であり、2050 年までに総ゼロにならなければならない.ネットゼロとは、単に私たちが大気に追加し続けないことを意味し、地球は陸上部門を通じて膨大な量の大気中の二酸化炭素を隔離することができますが、ネットゼロとは、汚染を相殺するために使用される能力を意味するため、正味汚染ゼロ汚染の言葉を使うべきではありません2050年までに正味隔離しないと手遅れです ありがとうございます 素晴らしい質問ですねええと、ipcc レポートを見ると、2050 年の数字です。ええと、2050 年までに地球温暖化を 2 度未満に抑えて正味ゼロにするシナリオと一致しているシナリオです。非常に多くの場合、排出量を削減する私たちの能力について非常に楽観的であり、前提は常に私たち'彼らは毎年それを作る来年のようなものを始めるつもりです.そして、私たちはそれを行うことは決してありません.2番目の方法は、ええと、またはこれらのシナリオのほとんどは非現実的です.私は、ケビン・アンダーソンのような気候科学者やウィル・ステファンのような地球システム科学者と一緒にいます。彼らは、真剣に目指すなら、2040 年代初頭または 2030 年代後半までにゼロ排出について話す可能性が高いでしょう。 1.7 度の地球温暖化については、私はこの分野の専門家ではないことはわかります。フィルが一緒にいたらいいのにと思います。なぜなら、彼はいるからです。しかし、私は正当化しようとしています。変えて、変えて、それはとても傲慢なことのように思えます。経済学教育を変えようとしている私は、すべての経済学の学位は生態学的経済学と現代の貨幣理論に集中すべきだと思います。私たちはこのプログラムを提供しています。カリキュラムの一部として、生態経済学を学べる場所は他にもいくつかありますが、私たちが知る限り、両方を訓練できる場所は他になく、どちらも非常に重要な要素だと思います。こんにちは、私の名前はアモスです。ええと、あなたは富と所得の不平等について議論し、労働組合が不平等を減らす重要な手段であると仮定して、私は聞きたいと思いました。あるか聞いて」CRミッションまたは社内ガス排出量を削減するという目標と、強力な取引運動を維持するという目標との間の内部対立または矛盾は、今日の組合化されたラベルは主に炭素ベースの産業に基づいているため、存在しないとは思いません。労働組合のメンバーであるだけでなく、私は強力な労働組合運動に大賛成です.たとえばオーストラリアでは.石炭と天然ガスの大きな輸出国でもあり、私はそう思います。これらの産業の規模を計画的に縮小する必要があると思います。一般炭に関する限り、非常に迅速に段階的に廃止する必要があります。 2 年前にアデレードで開催された私たちの会議では、オーストラリアの炭鉱労働者組合のリーダーであるトニー・メイヤーが会議に出席し、会議の講演者でした。それからまず第一に重要なことは、例えば石炭コミュニティなどのコミュニティが、石炭産業を超えて彼らにとって良い未来があることを確認する必要があることです。 '移行コストを少人数のグループに転嫁する 石炭鉱夫は化石燃料としてのカールの燃焼から生じる排出について責任を負わないので、労働組合や労働組合のリーダーとの議論は非常に重要な役割を果たしていると思います持続可能な未来への移行において、私たちは彼らなしではそれを行うことができませんが、もちろん長期的には子供と孫が2人いるので、環境上の制約について話すとき、私たちは見つけなければならない現実について話しているだけだと思います.人々と正直な会話をする方法であり、これは非常にゆっくりと起こり始めていると思います。そのため、会議にトニー・メイヤーがいて、非常にうまくいきました。彼は連邦政府の雇用保証のアイデアに非常に興味を持っていました。彼は、石炭産業が今から 2050 年の間に閉鎖されることを理解しています。炭鉱労働者組合はそれを完全によく理解しており、メンバーとメンバーが住んでいるコミュニティの世話をすることが重要であることを理解しています.機会 それを行うのは簡単ではありませんが、それは移行の重要な部分なので、いいえ、対立が必要だとは思いません 労働組合は、公正な未来への移行において非常に重要な部分であると思います私たちが持続可能な生活を送っている場所 人々は質の高い生活を送っています 人々はまだ雇用されていますが、外国に行く前と同じことをしていません I'あなたがこのグラフを見せていたのは不思議に思いましたが、まず第一に、主要な化石燃料採掘国が実際には間違った側にいることを示しています。これらの課題に何らかの形で取り組んでいる国、運動、または政党についてご存知ですかあなたは説明してきましたが、私たちが彼らから学べることがあれば、私が言ったように大丈夫です.専門家のケイト・ローワーがあなたに言うでしょう.ええと、循環型経済と再生可能な自然へのアプローチを備えた未来の最良の候補はおそらくコスタリカですが、私にはできます」そのことをすべて教えてください.政党に関してオンラインで見ることができるビデオがいくつかあることを私は知っています.そして私はしぶしぶ近年政党のメンバーでした.ええと、彼らには他のすべてのように欠陥があります.政党はそうし、この言葉はそうではない」世界中のすべての国で同じことを意味しますが、私はメンバーであり、オーストラリアのグリーンの非アクティブなメンバーになります.私は彼らに会費を与えます.彼らがその主な理由は、オーストラリアでの二酸化炭素排出量の削減は科学と一致しています オーストラリアの政府は今年の初めよりも改善されています 私たちは以前よりも挑戦的で挑戦的な目標を持っていますが、促進するための政策決定はまだ非常に限られています低炭素排出量へのより急速な移行.私たちにはまだ国際的に炭素クレジットを購入することについて話している政府があります.私が知る限り、そうではないと思います。私はとても信頼していました、そして私たちは'政府は 2005 年から 2030 年までの aaa 目標を掲げています ええと、土地利用の変化に起因するものを含め、炭素排出量を 40 パーセント削減 オーストラリアや他の国では 75 パーセント以上にする必要があります。地球温暖化が 1.7 度の場合、私たちは 2.7 度以上に向かっており、非常に保守的な気候科学者でさえ、そう言うでしょう。世界のどこにいるかに応じて、誰もが支持する政党や政治家を探す必要があると思います。背後には、少なくとも気候変動に関する限り一貫した政策を主張する準備ができている人がいます。オーストラリアでは、自由党は確かに保守的ですが、労働党でさえ、私たちが持っている政府でさえ保守的です。今、彼らは持続可能性の方向に半歩進んだようですが、彼らはまだ先に進んでいます.彼らはグリーンや他の人々からプレッシャーを受けています.グリーンが彼らに圧力をかけ続けている間、私は自分のオーストラリアのグリーンズへの会費 オーストラリアのグリーンズが常に現代の金融理論を理解しているかのように話すとは言えませんが、そう言わざるを得ません。プレゼンテーションをありがとうございました。生態系への移行を mmt に結び付ける理由は、希少性と禁欲の物語から、すべての人にとって豊かな未来に向かっていると思うからです。地球ではなく、私たちが生き残っていますが、それでも私は'工業化された世界への移行はすでに十分に難しいと思いますが、極度の貧困の中で生活している多くの人々を上に移動させる必要があるので、地球のボーナスを維持しながらこれらの人々を引き上げることができるとどの程度確信していますか.もしバーニー・サンダースがアメリカ大統領だったらステファニー・カールトンがアメリカ財務長官だったらもしスティーブ・キーンとビル・ミッチェルがオーストラリア政府に関わっていたら私は今よりずっと自信を持っていただろう.経済学の観点から、または気候科学の観点から、それはあまりにも不自由だと思います 政治的な観点からは、遅すぎると思うことがあります。 「見えない」明日の政治的転換点は起こらないだろうし、共和党が次の米国大統領選挙に勝った場合、私は非常に悲観的であり、現代のマネーラボのガブリエル・ボンドの同僚はすでに路上で逮捕され、道路にくっついている. 「それを5年続けて、特に北米で大きな政治的変化が見られない場合、バイデン政権はもちろんトランプ政権に比べて大きな改善ですが、共和党政権に戻るか、彼らはそうするかもしれないので、私はどれほど楽観的ですか?ステファニー・ケルトンやケイト・ローワーズ、マリアナ・マティカートやエコノミストのような人々がもっと影響力を持ち、高所得国に真に進歩的な政府があり、彼らも理解し、真実を伝える準備ができていれば、私は自信を持っていると言う専門知識があります.歴史的および現在の植民地主義からの不当性と、オーストラリアで最初の国々の人々と条約を結ぶ必要があるのと同じように、世界の北部と植民地主義の結果に苦しんでいる国々との協力のための世界的な条約を探す必要があります。彼の歴史 私たちはこれらすべてのことを行うことができたでしょうか 私たちは誰もが良い生活の質を持ち、私たちが持続可能な生活を送っていた未来を築くことができたでしょうか はい その質問への答えはわかりません それは私を意味するものではありません私たちは社会崩壊に直面するだろうという別の壊滅的な極端に行くだろうが、それは私たちが持っていることを意味する.ええと、またはおそらく地球温暖化が2度をはるかに超えると、何千万人もの気候関連の死や、生物多様性の損失などの問題に間接的に関連するその他の死が発生するでしょう。グローバル・サウスの低所得者層について、それは私たちの責任です。若くてヨーロッパ人であることがわかります。政治と経済に関与し、これについて何かをするのはあなたの責任ですので、結論を出させてください。スティーブン、お時間とお話をありがとうございました。来年お会いできることを楽しみにしています。以上でした。プレゼンテーションを送ってください。私は絶対に持っていないと思います。聞いてくれてありがとうございましたこれは mmt 教育への非常に重要な継続的な貢献であり、皆さんに言いたいのは、皆さんが今学んでいることは、5 年後または 10 年後に、世界中の誰もが望んでいる立場に君を配置することになるということです。あなたが今知っていることについて知っていて、その専門知識の供給は非常に限られているでしょう.あなたは重要な人々であり、次の5年、10年、15年、20年で非常に重要になるでしょう.残りのサマースクールを楽しんでください.私の話を聞いてくれてありがとう.



0:00

uh hello everybody it's a great pleasure to um be with you can everyone hear me

0:09

yeah I can assume you can hear me yeah all right thank you um I am speaking to you from the

0:16

Adelaide Hills so I would like to start with an acknowledgment which I'm in the

0:22

habit of doing I live uh somewhere called old gay in the Adelaide Hills which is on the

0:28

traditional land of the paramank people so I like to say at the beginning of a talk that I acknowledge and pay my

0:34

respects to the Paramount people the original inhabitants of the Adelaide Hills and recognize their ongoing

0:40

connection with this land which was never seated okay having said that

0:46

what is uh someone who spent most of their adult life training bankers

0:52

doing talking to you about modern monetary Theory and ecological

0:58

economics I I perhaps I should give a little bit of background um

1:03

when thinking about the future and about the ecological challenges that

1:10

we face in this generation and the generations to come you can fall into two traps I think one potential track

1:16

which I'm prone to myself is catastrophism and just thinking that whatever we do is

1:24

not going to be enough to avoid a series of crises which are

1:29

going to undermine um our economies and and modern societies

1:35

with goodness knows what consequences and that's one extreme and it can become

1:42

an irrational Viewpoint that you can take but on the other side there's equally irrational

1:49

view which is Extreme optimism everything's going to be okay we're going to transition to a clean

1:58

green economy over the next decade or a couple of decades we'll get to Net Zero

2:04

by 2050 and that's all that we need to do technology will save us all that kind

2:09

of thing I would like to start then by saying one optimistic thing and one pessimistic

2:16

thing the optimistic thing that I have to say is that in my view based on a

2:22

dispassionate at least from my perspective reading of the evidence

2:27

um it's not too late we can build at Future economies which are consistent

2:34

with maintaining and improving the quality of life of hundreds of millions

2:39

billions of people over time uh while uh defending and

2:45

restoring the natural environment within which we live and of which we're apart that's the optimistic statement the

2:51

pessimistic statement we can't do this if our economic narrative remains

2:57

dominated in the future as it has been to a greater or lesser extent in various

3:03

forms for the last hundred years by a new classical economics neoclassical

3:08

economics has always been misleading and we've now reached a point in our history

3:14

where it's not just misleading it's an existential threat

3:19

I've thought this for oh probably at least 10 years partly because my closest

3:24

economics friend and colleague in Adelaide um Phil Long is Australia's leading ecological

3:31

Economist and about five years ago the two of us got together and you know you

3:37

think what could we do to in a small way make a difference on this planet and we

3:44

decided to try and put together a set of postgraduate qualifications because

3:49

after all we're teachers um in heterodox economics but uh centered

3:56

on the two elements in non-neoclassical economics which we think are most important

4:02

if we are going to um if only

4:07

we can uh gain influence in the next five or ten years in policy institutions

4:15

around the world to deliver a sustainable future economy

4:22

um with improved living standards for all and those two elements were modern

4:27

monetary Theory and I think of myself as an mmt economist although that's not really what I'm going to be talking about today

4:33

and ecological economics which is Phil's area of expertise we spent the next

4:39

couple of years trying to interest universities in doing this and in

4:45

Australia and we could couldn't for a long time we couldn't find any takers particularly because

4:53

um if you go to a university that has an economics Department it's invariably a department dominated by neoclassical

4:59

economists and they are simply not interested in in in offering what we

5:05

thought was was important because we we really need a production line of economists training him into who

5:12

understand ecological issues that's so important so in the end a couple of years ago we quit our jobs

5:18

and we set up a charity called modern money lab which you could see the name of in the top left-hand corner there in

5:24

Adelaide and eventually we found a university it's the newest university in

5:30

Australia it has to be one of the two private units in Australia none of the public unions were interested called

5:35

Torrance University and we are launching our postgraduate courses including a

5:42

master's degree in the economics of sustainability which is really in mmt

5:47

and ecological economics in a couple of weeks time

5:54

um the abstract that I gave the organizers for this event is very similar to the first note that I wrote

6:01

to the vice Chancellor at Torrance University I I maybe I will just very quickly read through it with you living

6:08

with implanetary boundaries is Central to the pursuit of sustainable well-being if we are to do this in time to preserve

6:15

a stable environment we need policy makers to admit the scale of the challenges we face and to be informed by

6:21

competent economic analysis both Phil and I believe and this is not

6:26

the same thing as saying necessarily that Real gross domestic product has to

6:31

fall but both of us believe that we must abandon the objective of Perpetual growth focus on our real resource and

6:38

ecological constraints and not be distracted by neoclassical myths relating to the monetary system the

6:44

appropriate functions of government or the economics of climate change and we both believe passionately that

6:51

insights derived from Modern monetary Theory and ecological economics are essential tools if we're to meet the

6:57

challenges of this Century with confidence so with the help of lecturers and subject writers like dirkins who is

7:04

there with you and Scott fullwiler who many of you will have heard of and others too and with the advice of

7:10

Stephanie Carlton and Fadel kabu that's exactly what we've been spending our

7:16

time doing for the last couple of years

7:21

I guess most if not all of us have had a training in neoclassical economics and I

7:27

even taught it for 20 years after after I graduated and I'm

7:34

embarrassed now by some of what I used to teach what I used to in culco into

7:41

into people's minds you remember I'm sure that the neoclassical approach is based

7:49

on the an explicit or implicit General equilibrium model centered on

7:54

individuals with impossible access to information and cognitive capacity and with the

8:03

power to make decisions which maximize their well-being So based on preferences

8:09

which are not influenced by other people and which they they uh um very well

8:16

understand they're able to decide how much to work and how much leisure time to take now and when they work the pay

8:23

they get depends on their marginal productivity which in turn depends on how much they have invested in this

8:29

human capital in the past and they make rational decisions able to look into the future with almost perfect foresight

8:35

about how much to borrow and now pay back later or say now

8:41

we know that in new Keynesian economics they have a full monopolistic

8:47

competition so that they can have price setting but basically the default Market model which is what is in the back of

8:53

everybody's mind the whole time is perfect competition with any deviations from this treated as market failures and

8:59

if they think about ecological issues at all if they think about for example

9:04

carbon dioxide emissions at all they see them as a negative externality given all

9:10

their other assumptions it's possible to look into the future to identify precisely the social costs of those

9:18

negative externalities and identify an optimal tax and if you internalize the

9:24

externality by uh implementing and optimal tax then in theory there are

9:30

substitutions in consumption and in production processes and there are technological changes which means that

9:37

you get an ideal release a Pareto optimal allocation of resources and the

9:42

economy can continue to grow forever and there is no issue about the scale of our

9:50

impact on the environment within which we live and of which we are apart

9:57

but put the cartoon on the left hand side on this slide this is a magical world

10:03

of preposterous assumptions it has always stood in the way

10:08

of maximizing the well-being of hundreds of millions of people

10:14

it always led to inequality Financial instability and crisis and but now it's

10:22

a threat to our survival or at least the survival of our civilizations

10:27

so we need an alternative a set of economic foundations and what's

10:34

more and this is the difficult thing as far as I'm concerned we need social tipping points political tipping points

10:40

to to occur before ecological ones do

10:45

because we need these foundations to be incorporated in the way that real world

10:52

politicians treasuries central banks other institutions make decisions

10:58

the most important elements not the only elements but the most important elements in this new economics are modern

11:05

monetary Theory and ecological economics and our level with you uh I five to ten

11:13

years ago um sometimes felt that there was an ecological problem

11:19

with mmt that mmt was too often seen by people as an efficient way of growing

11:27

economies faster um I don't think that anymore I think that the work of well let's

11:34

mention Steve Keane and uh kenz who are with you amongst many other people and

11:39

Fadel Kabob but especially Stephanie Kelton has pulled modern monetary Theory

11:45

towards ecological economics over time and in many respects

11:53

um if you compare the Great popularizing Book of mmt the deficit myth with the

11:59

Great popularizing Book of recent years for ecological economics which is donor economic by Kate rower

12:04

there are very major similarities between those two books when you put

12:09

them side by side and you read them and the quote you can see in the bottom left hand corner of this screen are just a

12:16

more prosperous world one that combines ecological sustainability with full employment human well-being a lower

12:22

degree of inequality and excellent public services that meets the needs of all is Within Reach now that could come

12:29

from either of these books it actually comes from Stephanie's book but we have been dragging mmt and

12:37

ecological economics together I like to think that a conference we held in Adelaide at the beginning of 2020 where

12:43

we had Stephanie Curtin and Bill Mitchell but we had very well-known ecological economics not economists not

12:50

just Phil but Robert costanzo and Mark diesendorf and others as well might have played a small part

12:56

in this so if MNT and ecological economics are

13:01

so important and if I if they're going to be the center of the Master's Degree which we're just having our first intake

13:08

for in a few weeks time um what are the main elements what are

13:15

the core elements of these two schools of thought I hardly need to talk to you

13:20

about the mmt column here we all know who the main figures have been in

13:28

building the foundations of modern monetary theory yes on the shoulders of previous generations of economists like

13:34

Abalone and Wing Godly and Jaime Minsky but the big four I always think are

13:42

Warren Mosler and Bill Mitchell and Randall Ray and Stephanie Kelton she's

13:47

not just a popular writer of mmt but as Stephanie Bell um she wrote a couple of early papers

13:54

which are very important in the foundations of modern monetary Theory so you know perfectly well that modern

14:01

monetary Theory when you think about it in a descriptive sense is about the monetary system

14:07

um the distinction between currency issuers and currency users is of vital importance

14:13

understanding the determinants and the significance of monetary sovereignty is important too we all know you're a

14:20

monetary Sovereign if you issue the currency that you collect taxes in if

14:25

that currency is not convertible into any commodity or foreign currency that

14:30

you could run out of at a fixed rate and if you have no significant foreign currency denominated it's a little bit

14:36

more complicated than that but that's the essentials we know if you are a monetary Sovereign you face real

14:43

constraints of course you do but you face no purely Financial ones you're not going to run out of your own currency we

14:50

all know that we also know about when God leaves sexual balances approach to

14:55

macroeconomics we know that if at full employment the non-government part of

15:01

the monetary system and desires to accumulate net Financial assets then

15:07

it's vital that the currency issuing government runs a definite deficit in

15:13

order to Supply those financial assets and support the economy that's a descriptive side of mmt we also know mmt

15:20

has a free scripted side we often talk about the aim of maintaining non-inflationary full employment which

15:27

is one way of helping to create more equitable distribution of income but that's not the only reason full

15:33

employment is important we know that a federal job guarantee will do that as well as helping to

15:40

stabilize the economy across the economic cycle and we often talk about the use of monetary sovereignty to

15:46

pursue something called the public purpose although we don't always specify in detail what the public purpose is

15:52

well that's mmt what ecological economics all about I I

15:57

perhaps before I go on I I'd like us to be able to stop using the term mmt and

16:03

just call that left-hand column macroeconomics I would like to stop using

16:10

um the term ecological economics in the right hand corner we all should be ecological economists and just say well

16:16

this is what we think about at the beginning of econ 101 this is where we start from

16:22

we don't start from here do we but we should ecological economics was

16:28

developed by Kenneth balding he deserves a mention there is a brilliant essay

16:33

please look this up online and read it if you never have done that hero in 1966

16:38

called the economics of the coming spaceship earth which is really about

16:44

the implications of the human impact on our environment exceeding the bio

16:53

capacity of that environment to absorb our waste and allow us to draw resources

16:59

from it without deteriorating over time um but the other founders of ecological

17:04

economics Nicholas Joe gesture Rogan you may have heard of in his student Herman Daley who I'm going to mention in a

17:11

moment Kate rawat as I said is the modern very very effective uh popularizer of ecological economics if

17:19

you haven't read donor economics please read it so the descriptive part the economy is

17:25

well it sits within Society of course and Society is a subset of the biosphere

17:31

so given that our biosphere is limited we have planetary boundaries that we

17:37

need to live within if we are going to retain a stable and livable environment

17:45

then we have to concern ourselves with our impact on that environment with our

17:50

ecological footprint what's the prescriptive part of ecological economics

17:57

um they don't always talk about equality first but radically lower levels of

18:02

inequality in most countries are always almost always an issue at the Forefront

18:08

of the minds and discussions of ecological economists ecological sustainability we're going to

18:14

come back to that of course they often talk about efficiency I prefer to use the word Effectiveness because that word

18:20

efficiency is has sort of almost been stolen from us by neoclassical economies when we talk about Effectiveness you

18:26

know if we've got limited ecological resources we have to use them effectively to maximize the well-being

18:32

of the present generation without threatening the well-being of generations to come

18:37

so what does this lead to it leads you to thinking about quantitative cumulative limits not just on carbon

18:45

dioxide emissions but uh for any scarce ecological resources we should be

18:51

rethinking what we value does it make sense to talk as though maximizing the

18:58

growth in something called GDP it's our overwhelming objective

19:03

we yes we need to rethink distribution as I was kind of just talking about

19:09

and this does evolve as mmt sort of implies I think a much greater role for

19:15

governments and for public Investments of course it does and regulations and

19:21

ecological economists often talk about cap and trade because if you want

19:28

to strictly limit carbon emissions you need some way of actually ensuring that you're you're going to do that there are

19:35

of course political problems and existing cap and trade schemes are far from uh ideal and there may be

19:43

Alternatives like carbon currency and that some of you may have heard of as

19:48

well to ensure that we don't continue to

19:55

indefinitely to uh Produce near emissions of carbon dioxide which will increase the concentration of carbon

20:02

dioxide and other greenhouse gases in our atmosphere and drive us towards more

20:08

and more crisis so what should be the public purpose oh

20:13

and remember spaceship earth uh I don't need to read all these things again I'm more or less repeating myself

20:19

but much of what is on this slide will be shared by almost all mmt economists

20:24

and as well as almost all ecological economists if you want to use the word degrow fine

20:31

but I prefer to be agnostic in two respects where gross domestic product is

20:37

concerned if gross domestic product can grow while you are living within your

20:42

planetary boundaries that's fine um I am not going to a prioritize say

20:49

that we need to massively scale back on GDP around the world of gross World product although I am extremely

20:58

um what's the word skeptical about the potential for long-run economic growth I mean just just the

21:05

arithmetic it's enough to do that really if you imagine growing the world economy at three percent per annum for 200 years

21:13

a bit more than 200 years you'd have an economy a thousand times bigger than the one at the moment that is just not going

21:18

to happen at some stage the global economy is going to stop growing in terms of GDP well I'm agnostic about GDP

21:26

in another sense too we need to change the way we organize

21:33

um our economies the management of our economies we need to rethink what and how we produce and consume we need to

21:42

grow some things and degrow others and when we're talking about that GDP statistic we need to build an economy

21:50

where people's well-being will be maintained with a gross domestic product Rises or not

21:56

none of any of this is Meaningful if we don't have a healthy biosphere we don't

22:02

have a healthy planet to live on if your house is burned down or is under the water

22:08

maintaining and improving human well-being requires a fundamental change in in the way in which we see the

22:15

environment which is not something separate to ourselves it is something of which we are apart and on which we

22:21

depend so we need to get ourselves off the global growth machine and the global

22:26

growth machine has been absolutely amazing particularly during the Great acceleration since the year 1950 now of

22:34

course 1950 to 1975 that was sort of good keynesianism wasn't it enormous

22:40

growth especially in high income countries where the benefits were widely shared

22:46

but you can see what happened as far as the scale of global economic activity it should be called Gray's World product

22:52

really is concerned we've had an enormous expansion in the global economy

22:57

over the last 70 years and it's done great things it has lifted or it's

23:05

helped to lift hundreds of millions of people out of poverty to give people a

23:12

quality of life which previous generations couldn't have been dreamed of and all the modern technology that

23:17

goes along with it as well I would however just briefly suggest

23:23

that well first of all the the benefits of this growth have gone disproportionately to the global

23:31

North U.S Australia Japan and Western Europe of course they have

23:36

it's been built on extracting renewable and non-renewable resources from the

23:42

planet and particularly on the use of fossil fuels to power our economy so

23:47

we're we're the ones that are responsible historically for the carbon dioxide emissions which have put us in

23:53

the position we are now and most importantly I think there is reasonably clear

23:59

evidence that once you get on a per capita basis to about the size of the

24:05

Estonian economy there's no statistically significant benefit to going beyond that

24:11

in high income countries it's not that the economy isn't big enough to provide

24:17

everybody with a good quality of life the issue is about distribution not the scale of economic activity

24:24

and you can you can see this using all sorts of metrics I just took this particular one it's not the best one but

24:31

it happened to be convenient because it was on my computer if you look at subjective life satisfaction against GDP

24:39

per capita and you restrict yourself to countries with a GDP per capita above

24:45

that of Estonia you find there's no statistically significant relationship now if I put a

24:50

line of best fit through that chart on the right it would be marginally upward sloping but as I said it's not

24:55

statistically significant and there have been some other years if I wanted to cheat 2015-16 where it would have slowed

25:01

downwards actually and that's also true if you're talking about

25:08

um uh life expectancy if you're talking

25:13

about crime rates if you're talking about a wide variety of metrics of what

25:19

it means to have a successful Society once you get beyond the income per head of about Estonia higher income doesn't

25:27

seem to do very much for you on the other hand it is always the case

25:32

when we're looking at these metrics or what it means to have a successful Society uh homelessness for example

25:39

that's another one it's always the case that lower inequality and a more

25:44

successful Society go together so it seems that in lower income countries growth in GDP

25:52

really matters in terms of improving the quality of people's lives but in the

25:57

rich world and it's the rich world that's living unsustainably at the moment there really isn't evidence but in my

26:04

view that that's the case at all remember at the moment I'm trying to

26:11

stay agnostic on growth okay then let's go back to the beginning

26:18

of econ 101. uh what's the first diagram you had in your introductory economics

26:23

course it was probably a production possibility Frontier you remember that one it shouldn't have been the

26:30

production possibility Frontier because that production possibility Frontier leaves the natural world of which we're

26:37

apar and on which we depend out it should have been something like this

26:43

chart which is taken from Professor descriptors uh um 2021 report for the UK

26:51

Treasury as we were saying the economy is a subset of the biosphere the biosphere at

27:00

least as far as material is concerned is effectively a closed system nothing gets in or out well virtually nothing gets in

27:06

or out as far as energy is concerned it takes in energy from the Sun of course and emits uh waste heat into near space

27:18

economy involves us extracting from the biosphere renewable and non-renewable

27:24

resources energy to produce goods and services which as

27:29

we consume them provide us with well-being use value but then we have

27:34

used up those goods and services or they have depreciated and we've returned them

27:39

or their constituent Parts anyway as waste to the natural environment to the

27:45

biosphere now this graph already suggests that there is potentially a problem as the economy expands relative

27:53

to the biosphere I know that's a little bit over simplistic but let's go with it

27:58

for the moment if we uh if we

28:05

oh hang on sorry I'm having a few issues here if we um if we extract too many renewable and

28:11

non-renewable resources if we emit too many wastes then the biosphere our natural Capital which we depend will

28:17

deteriorate over time and that will eventually have implications for what is

28:22

possible for us to do within the economy and of course for um societies themselves

28:30

bearing all this in mind let's go back to um one of the founders

28:37

of ecological economics Herman Daley if you want to learn about him there was either last year at the beginning of

28:43

this year there was a really good intellectual biography of him published by another well-known ecological

28:49

Economist Peter Victor um Herman Daley's economics for a full world well what Herman Daley said back

28:55

in the 1970s is that if on spaceship earth we want to

29:02

live sustainably we don't want to you know when when governments deficits

29:07

spend they're not borrowing from future Generations but when we live beyond our bio capacity

29:13

we are in a sense if we don't want to do that then we must emit waste at a rate

29:18

which does not exceed the absorptive capacity of the environment that means

29:23

as far as carbon dioxide emissions are concerned we need to move very rapidly well before 2050 to zero net emissions

29:32

we need to use Renewables at a rate which does not exceed the rate for which they can be renewed clearly

29:40

um you can't cut down the whole growth forests without there being some impact

29:45

on your well-being in the future and the well-being of the natural environment you can't catch other fish in the sea

29:52

um and thirdly use non-renewables at a rate which does not exceed the rate at which well either you can discover other

30:00

non-renewables to do the same thing or at which renewable substitutes can be

30:05

adopted and there is potentially a problem with the rapid electrification

30:12

of our economy and moving rapidly towards 100 Renewables because of the

30:19

material footprint but doing that because of the construction which will be necessary in order to allow that to

30:27

take place quickly but we'll come back to that in a few moments

30:32

everybody loves the idea of a circular economy the right to repair

30:38

Recycling and governments yes governments should use Investments public ownership uh regulation

30:46

taxes and subsidies to promote as rapid a transition to a far more circular

30:53

economy than we are doing at the moment and the same thing is true of regenerative agriculture but the term

30:59

circular economy is to an extent a misnomer because you can never have 100 percent

31:05

recycling there will always be some waste economic activity will always to

31:12

an extent be linear it will always evolve to an extent taking in nutrients

31:18

from the environment using them and then uh and them ending up being waste matter or

31:26

or hate so there will always be environmental limits there are two main

31:33

approaches which have been taken scientifically to identify the environmental limits on our impact on

31:40

the planet one is when you you might be from the middle familiar with from the

31:46

Earth Systems scientists at the global footprint Network where they have devised a way of

31:55

attempting to identify for individual countries and for the whole planet the

32:00

bio capacity the capacity of the planet too as I've

32:05

just mentioned provide those resources which we're extracting from it absorb the waste which we are producing without

32:13

our natural Capital deteriorating over time um a book which you can read to learn

32:19

about how this is done is in a couple of slides times I'll refer to it when we when we get to it

32:26

but an interesting thing from my perspective uh about

32:32

this chart that you can see on the right hand side here is that it identifies that we were using

32:41

up uh our bio capacity on a global basis in

32:47

around the year 1970 so prior to 1970 economic activity occurred locally cause

32:54

the um deterioration and collapse of ecosystems but on a

33:01

global level the planet was able to sustain our impact on it until about 1970. since

33:08

then we've had an ecological deficit and you're probably familiar with Earth

33:14

overshoot Day that relates to this chart it's now the case that according to

33:19

these guys we are using up about 1.75 planets worth of resources every year we

33:24

are not living consistently with Hermann Daley's principles of sustainability and of

33:31

course that's an issue and we can't help but notice that that's coming back to bite us already

33:37

another approach which you might prefer to talking about environmental limits

33:44

whilst eventually popularized by Kate rather's 2017 book donor economics which

33:49

I've already mentioned the planetary boundaries approach Johan rockstrom will Stefan and others a bit more than 10

33:56

years ago now identified nine planetary boundaries one of which was to do with

34:04

greenhouse gases and uh and climate change but only one of which which we

34:09

need to um we need to respect if we are going to deliver to your children and their

34:17

children a safe hospitable planet on which they

34:22

can enjoy at least the same level of well-being if not a greater level of well-being than we're enjoying now so

34:29

there'll always be limits now this is one of the problems with neoclassical economics neoclassical economics was

34:36

devised in around about 1870 1870 to 1900 and certainly in 1870 there was

34:44

basically no footprint at all from fossil fuels they hadn't really got going so there was a tiny human

34:51

footprint on the planet relating to the buyer capacity of the planet ecological issues were essentially in irrelevance

34:58

at least at the global level and they played no part in the development of

35:03

neoclassical economics even in 1950 when the Great acceleration

35:09

started according to the guys at the global footprint Network the human footprint on the planet was

35:15

only about 50 of planetary biocapacity so if Keynes didn't spend a lot of time

35:22

worrying about ecological issues given that he died in 1946 we can forgive him because at a global level uh ecological

35:30

issues were not you need to be very far-sighted anyway to see some people did to see ecological issues as a

35:37

relevant constraint for economic activity but then came the great acceleration and what an acceleration it

35:45

was and how naive we might have been not to expect this to have an impact on our natural environment over time you can

35:51

see again what happened to real GDP that basically real GDP and primary

35:56

energy use have been almost perfectly correlated with each other there's very limited scope for relative decoupling

36:04

where primary energy use is concerned at least based on evidence up until now and of course you see carbon dioxide uh

36:13

concentrations increasing the same thing is true of other greenhouse gases and eventually with a delay which I won't

36:20

worry about now you see surface temperature rising as well that's the gray acceleration as people like will

36:27

Stefan would tell you it's related to the transition from the anthropocene

36:33

to the from the Holocene I should say to the anthropocene it's the transition

36:40

from a 10 to 12 000 year period incredibly stable and and friendly

36:47

climatic climate conditions the conditions which allow for all human civilizations to develop and economic

36:55

developed to take place to a a set of circumstances now where our natural

37:01

environment and the climate uh within which we have to live depends on our own

37:08

activities so it's 1970 we are using up according

37:15

to the people behind the global footprint um Network

37:20

that's a book I recommend you read ecological footprint by Mathis Vaca Nagel and bias it's a fascinating

37:27

book um that's when we reached our bio capacity uh people often talk about living within

37:35

your means and as we know if you're a monetary Sovereign government um that that means nothing to you as far

37:42

as financial resources are concerned we talk about real constraints in mmt this

37:48

is the ultimate real constraint at least in the end if you live

37:53

perpetually beyond your bio capacity then eventually your ability to produce

37:58

goods and services to maintain your quality of life to maintain something like our modern societies is is eroded

38:08

decoupling is then a word that people use a lot why can't we continue to grow GDP but at the same time reduce our

38:16

ecological footprint well we've been quite successful in relative decoupling ecological

38:23

economists they generally write it down in a much more complex form but they rely on something often called the impact equation you can see why it's

38:31

called the impact equation from the top line here our impact on the biosphere our ecological footprint depends yes it

38:39

depends on how many of us there are and it depends on our level of economic activity per person real GDP per person

38:46

it also depends on what you can call technology if you like but what is a a a

38:52

measure of archaeological impact per dollar of real GDP

38:57

and that technological variable our impact per dollar has fallen rapidly

39:03

over the last 50 years we've been very successful in reducing the resource

39:08

active the resource intensity of economic activity over that 50-year period just checking

39:15

the time over that 50-year period and the global population has a little

39:20

bit more than doubled I don't want to imply that rapid population growth in low-income

39:27

countries is the problem here certainly not the main problem because it is not in those countries where

39:34

people are living unsustainably it's real GDP per person has also

39:39

increased globally by a factor of a little bit more than two but our ecological impact only gone up

39:45

by or maybe 1.75 now so there has been relative decoupling in some countries

39:51

there's been some absolute decoupling but globally there's only been relative

39:57

decoupling this is true whether you are talking about the ecological footprint

40:02

in aggregate or whether you are talking about carbon emissions if you're talking

40:08

about carbon emissions there are some countries that have managed some degree limited degree of absolute decoupling

40:17

but as far as the planet is concerned it's just relative decoupling that we

40:22

have we've managed to do what does this suggest this suggests that the problem is

40:30

perhaps the continuing growing scale of our economic activity if GDP continues

40:36

to grow our primary power use will continue to grow alongside it now we may

40:42

be able technologically to Electrify our economies to move towards Renewables

40:47

maybe some of you would like to move back towards nuclear power or that if if you want to go in that direction that

40:54

takes time to do as well but the trouble is it's much harder to

41:00

do that in a global economy which keeps growing rapidly over time and it may not

41:05

be a feasible thing to do so we end up in 2022 rapidly eating into our natural

41:12

Capital we end up with a growing biodiversity crisis and of course people

41:19

are beginning to understand that global warming is not just about the average uh temperature increasing over time it's

41:26

about increasingly extreme climate events one after another what Bill

41:31

Mitchell in a blog post the other day talked talked about called uh polycrisis

41:38

compounding on each other and if they were to continue in the next decade or

41:45

two threatening our ability to provision ourselves and provide a quality of life

41:51

that we used to let alone improve our quality of life as for emissions yes everybody is

41:59

talking about moving towards net zero emissions well you know we've been

42:05

talking about this politicians environmental scientists especially economists since the early 1990s and so

42:13

far we have utterly failed they record you for Global carbon

42:19

dioxide emissions ever will be 2022. so far we have made no progress

42:26

whatsoever in moving towards net zero carbon dioxide emissions and I would

42:33

also uh uh at this stage I'd like to urge you at some stage to go onto the

42:39

website of the Geological Survey of Finland there is a great piece of research there by Simon Michelle which

42:46

explains some of the things I was saying before it's really very difficult to see

42:51

how particularly if we continue to pursue growthism as our overriding

42:57

objective as far as policy is concerned um we'll be able to transition quickly

43:04

enough to Renewables to allow ourselves um without making some uh uh what to my

43:12

mind are implausible assumptions about technological advances or in geoengineering uh uh to uh zero net

43:20

carbon emissions to retain a stable climate every year while carbon

43:26

emissions are positive we are adding you know we're familiar with stop flow analysis in mmt from Godly and the war

43:34

and all that but here's another application stop flow analysis as we put more carbon dioxide and other greenhouse

43:41

gases into our environment then concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere

43:47

goes up when I was in my 20s uh we used to say that what people used

43:54

to say that a concentration of about 350 parts per million was a safe

43:59

concentration consistent with global warming of no more than about one degrees Celsius

44:06

um nobody talks about that anymore because we've gone far past it and it

44:12

what people tend to say now is that if we go from 350 to eventually 450 and

44:18

we're we're on route to getting to there uh in say 15 years time if things

44:24

continue as they are at the moment if we don't get the promised and very rapid reductions in carbon dioxide emissions

44:32

well if 350 uh parts per million was alarm Bells 450 Parts million would be

44:40

potentially catastrophic as far as global warming is concerned that's what

44:46

the climate scientists including some quite well-known ones who have now joined the extinction Rebellion approach

44:52

to protesting about these issues are saying um this is uh data drawn from uh the

45:01

ipcc um scientific report that came out last year

45:07

um I don't want to dwell on this for too long apart from to say that if we want

45:12

according to this data a 50 likelihood of meeting the Paris climate change

45:19

commitment then we've not got much more than 10 years worth of emissions left at the

45:27

current level of emissions depending on the assumptions you make about non-carbon dioxide emissions of of

45:33

greenhouse gases uh that's very difficult to do we're getting to the point where that would involve going

45:40

from circumstances where carbon dioxide emissions are growing every year to reducing them by something like well

45:47

close to 10 per annih every year year after year if we were to bring that

45:52

about um that's essentially not going to happen so if we put aside unlikely uh

46:01

scientific advances 1.5 degrees Celsius global warming has gone

46:08

the 1.7 degree still non-catastrophic figure has not gone it seems much more

46:14

achievable and two degrees of global warming based on this data looks very achievable

46:20

indeed I mean even if we could reduce our emissions by something like three percent per annum and just keep doing

46:25

that difficult to do you know rapidly growing global economy but if if we could do

46:32

that then we could we could meet that carbon budget the problem is

46:38

would you get on a plane and fly to Australia if somebody told

46:43

you there was a 50 chance the plane was going to crash

46:49

no of course you wouldn't why do they talk about 50 or 66

46:54

likelihoods because when you talk about 90 likelihoods the data looks very

47:00

different and much less encouraging in fact if you and it was a a former

47:08

leading executive of the coal industry that pointed this out to me and some other people if you take a 90 likelihood

47:15

of keeping global warming below two degrees we have already used our Park carbon budget

47:21

it's too late to do that the issue then of course is that once

47:29

you get to two degrees Celsius of global warming or Beyond it environmental

47:34

tipping coins become far more likely we are reading all the time more and more stories about the erosion of Arctic

47:41

summarize that may have a knock-on effect as far as Atlantic circulation is

47:48

concerned which may have a knock-on effect as far as the weather the climate the local climate over the Amazon

47:54

turning the Amazon from the carbon sink into a emission emitter of carbon

48:00

dioxide and why this is risky is because if we do if we do tip these tipping

48:07

points then we could lose control of a climate system and then we have a far

48:12

less Hospital future to deal with than than we would like

48:18

so we need to end Grocers um I'm not necessarily saying

48:26

that gross domestic products in high income countries has to be has to shrink I am saying that the pursuit of

48:33

continued economic growth as without even thinking about it the be all an end or objective of

48:41

managing our economies has got to be abandoned Donella Meadows the lead

48:47

author of The Leominster growth report which came out in the early 70s soon after we passed the Earth by a capacity

48:55

in terms of our ecological footprint put it very nicely on one occasion

49:00

growth of what and why and for whom and who pays the costs well you know growth

49:07

so far has been largely at the benefit of the global North who has paid the cost at the overwhelming majority almost

49:15

all climate related deaths so far have been in the global South

49:20

how much is enough how are we going to manage our economies in the future

49:26

that's where we get from Stephanie kelton's deficits that matter to Kate

49:31

rower's donor economics her donut model the nine planetary boundaries that

49:38

rockstrom and Stefan and others identified in 2009 are listed around the outside of

49:45

Kate Roller's donut if we are inside those boundaries we are

49:50

living sustainably but what K of course pointed out is that if you're at the

49:55

center of that Circle you'll be living within all those boundaries but you'll be living a life poverty and destitution

50:01

we have to use up some of the Earth's resources to provide people with food water energy housing income and work

50:11

so the problem in terms of future Economic Development and if you are a

50:17

young person learning about modern monetary Theory this is your problem I'm afraid we're passing it on to you

50:22

largely the problem is how do we manage our economies in the future to ensure

50:27

that whatever set of social foundations we might identify and Kate's measures

50:33

were based quite closely on the UN sustainable development goals we can meet those social foundations for

50:41

the great mass of people for virtually everybody while living within our ecological

50:49

ceiling that is the challenge for the Next Generation you understand modern monetary Theory

50:56

you understand the appropriate role for the government the government budget to play Within the economy you understand

51:01

that the government's not going to run out of its own currency the government should be using monetary sovereignty in

51:08

the years to come to promote the public purpose what is the

51:14

public purpose to meet the social foundations of the good quality of life while not staying outside our ecological

51:20

ceiling and of course making the Investments that we need to make in the years to come

51:25

is likely to involve a significant growth in Real GDP for a time but we

51:32

need to be aware that we are eating in to our natural Capital we're making Investments now to allow us to live

51:39

within to restore that natural Capital later on these are the kind of issues we need to think about

51:45

how well our country is doing at the moment

51:50

um research by okay is linked to Oxford University but research by colleagues of

51:55

character ecological economists at the University of Leeds and the well-known

52:01

lse Anthropologist Jason heckrell has investigated this most recently in a

52:08

paper from this year um in order to have data which is comparable for almost all countries

52:15

around the world they've had to vary um the the data that they use for social

52:24

foundations and ecological ceiling a little bit from what you find in casebrook but it's the same basic idea on the horizontal axis we have

52:31

biophysical boundaries transgressed per capita for most of the countries in the

52:36

world on the vertical axis we have the number of social foundations achieved a

52:41

developed economy would be in the top left-hand corner of this chart where you

52:47

can see that donut to get there the quote Bill Mitchell's Blog the organization of economic

52:53

activity our patterns of consumption and conduct of Economic Policy must all change radically

53:00

all countries need to change put in another way there are no developed economies at the moment but not all in

53:07

the same way the high income economies like Australia where I live

53:12

they are meeting almost all the social thresholds of a good quality of life and

53:18

to the extent that they are not generally this is related to a problem

53:24

for the distribution of income and wealth so the problem there is to

53:30

maintain and even improve the quality of life for the majority of people while moving within our biophysical boundaries

53:37

in a country like Australia I think that inevitably if only we could get to this

53:43

Tipping Point this social and political Tipping Point involves public ownership of the energy system of public transport

53:54

of Public Services in general and even I'm working with a private university I

54:00

include in that um well a decommodified public services which means free

54:08

education including higher education but it involves a variety of other things

54:14

too different countries will have different ways of achieving it but that's the problem in those countries

54:20

the countries in Orange here well their countries that are not on a per capita basis transgressing

54:27

and many of their biophysical boundaries they are living largely sustainably ecologically speaking but the problem

54:34

for those countries is to improve the quality of people's lives while continuing to live sustainably and that

54:40

relies on a transfer of real resources and Technology from the high income

54:45

countries among other things and then there's the third group of countries which are not living

54:51

ecologically sustainably but are also not meeting the social thresholds and

54:57

those countries tend to be countries very high levels of inequality but everybody needs to move towards the top

55:05

left-hand corner and we somehow have to do this on a global level it's not just negotiations relating to carbon

55:11

emissions it's all those planetary boundaries it's all the elements

55:17

contributing towards our ecological footprint while dealing with the

55:25

um the consequences of colonialism and neocolonialism and Global Injustice

55:31

which means so many people the people who are suffering the consequences of of

55:36

of climate change at the moment have not enjoyed the benefits of the economic

55:42

activity which the exploitation of fossil fuels and the materials we've taken out of our biosphere has allowed

55:49

the rest of us to do so I need to hurry up and finish

55:54

what's the first thing we need to do we need to stop talking about growth in Real GDP as being something which is

56:00

good in itself it is at the most and means to an end but we need then to start asking questions like the

56:07

questions Donald Meadows used to ask um what's the cost of that growth now who bears that cost

56:13

so we need to change the goal from growth to development we can use a panel of indicators as with Jason hickle and

56:21

his co-authors in order to measure this or if you're going to use the approach which my close friend and colleague Phil

56:28

Long and some other ecological economists have pioneered then you can argue that the genuine progress indicate

56:35

is a metric of economic success of the impact of

56:42

economic activity on human well-being Which is far superior to GDP in that it

56:49

at least attempts to identify both the benefits and the costs economic and

56:55

social of economic activity and to subtract a measure of the environmental

57:01

cost the environmental impact of that activity so you are looking at a measure of the net benefit to society or of

57:10

economic activity over time and maximizing the genuine progress indicator rather than maximizing GDP

57:19

um would give policy makers more of an incentive to introduce those policies

57:26

which are consistent with finding the safe and just just space for

57:33

Humanity the Ring of Kate rower's donor so either of those two approaches is

57:39

fine we need to guarantee everybody Economic Security and the opportunity to

57:45

contribute to social provisioning a job guarantee is important in ecological

57:51

economics as it is in in modern monetary Theory we need to fund and of course

57:57

monetary Sovereign governments are the institutions which are in a position to fund the very large-scale Investments

58:04

that we need to make in renewable energy in green infrastructure in all the things that we need to do in order to

58:12

transition to a sustainable future economy we need to rethink issues like

58:18

working week and the retirement age and what we value

58:23

one way or another we need to adopt binding cumulative quantitative limits

58:29

for all planetary boundaries otherwise we really don't have much of a future

58:35

and where do we find the money well there was a uh I wrote a chapter for a

58:41

book that was published at the beginning of this year sustainability in the New Economic synthesizing ecological economics and modern monetary Theory

58:48

there's a chapter from Steve Keane in there as well by the way edited by Stephen Williams

58:54

and Lord Taylor which which discusses um

59:00

well generally who needs to fund it High income monetary suffering

59:07

governments from the global North how can we pay for a green New Deal that

59:13

is uh um mmt authors have have tackled that issue very well indeed already but

59:20

it's not just about a national free new deal it's about a global free New Deal

59:26

where we are about maximizing human well-being while living within our

59:32

planetary boundaries and this is something that I think is going to happen to you we are going to over the

59:40

next decade experience a series of climate and potentially other ecological

59:47

crises that are going to make it more and more obvious to people that business

59:53

as usual is not an option that the approach to managing these issues which

59:59

has been put forward and promoted by a neoclassical economists is not good

1:00:04

enough and that we need to try a different approach and I think at some stage

1:00:10

um I hope at some stage that people with a thorough understanding of modern monetary Theory

1:00:17

of what is important to human well-being of

1:00:23

um ecological economics of our planetary boundaries if you like are going to basically be in a situation

1:00:29

where when when politicians have tried everything else they'll be turning to us and we need to be ready to meet that

1:00:38

Challenge and in a sense it's the same old mmt challenge we're not going to be

1:00:43

sure of US Dollars we're not going to be short of Euros we're not going to be sure of Australian dollars we're not

1:00:49

going to be sure of Japanese Yen we are going to be sure of the real resources we need to improve human well-being over

1:00:57

time and while there is still time avoid social collapse finding the money should

1:01:03

be the easy part I'm just an economics teacher I'm not a great researcher or anything so I'm just

1:01:12

doing what I thought it was useful for me to do and so with our chief executive

1:01:19

Gabrielle Bond and someone who is a really good economics researcher as I

1:01:24

mentioned before Australia's leading ecological Economist Phil long we eventually managed to persuade Torrance

1:01:31

University to let us offer a global online Master's Degree in the economics

1:01:38

of sustainability which we have been working like mad people to get ready in

1:01:45

time for the first intake of students which is the beginning of next month

1:01:51

and I hope that people coming through this program and I hope that there will

1:01:56

be more programs like this the more competition we get the better around the world as time goes by I had people

1:02:03

coming through this program are going to transform policy institutions uh

1:02:08

um business finance some of them are working not-for-profits maybe eventually some of

1:02:16

them will even overthrow mainstream or neoclassical economics departments and we can get on and deal

1:02:23

with the problems which we undoubtedly face in the next century with tools

1:02:28

which are fit for those problems and neoclassical economics as I said was

1:02:34

misleading in the last century but it's dangerous in this one the economics was dominated our narrative in the 20th

1:02:41

century is not fit for purpose in the 21st and it's up to people like you to

1:02:47

replace it and that's the end of the talk

1:02:58

thank you thank you so thank you very much Professor Hale

1:03:03

for this exciting and thrilling lecture uh so now let me open uh the Q a session

1:03:10

so if you have questions please come over here so first and ask you questions

1:03:21

Steve and I greeting to you in uh Adelaide my name is Freddie from Sydney I'm um oh hello I'm actually joining

1:03:29

your program as you first intake one of your first interviews I recognized your name yes and my good looks like it

1:03:36

um the question I have is about the adoption of the language Net Zero by 2050 and that's become widespread as a

1:03:43

Target to be understood it's the wrong target truly it has to be gross Zero by 2050. NetZero means we simply don't keep

1:03:50

adding to the atmosphere and the Earth can sequester through the land sector huge volumes of atmospheric

1:03:56

CO2 but Net Zero means that ability is used to offset pollution so shouldn't we

1:04:01

have the language of net pollution zero pollution by 2050 and net sequestration otherwise we're too late thank you

1:04:10

thanks that's great question uh Timothy yeah I agree with you the only way I disagree with you is I think 2050 is an

1:04:16

irrelevant figure um I think that's far too late

1:04:23

um I think that um the 2050 figure

1:04:31

when you look at ipcc reports um scenarios which are consistent with

1:04:37

us keeping global warming below two degrees with Net Zero by 2050 they very

1:04:43

often they're either extremely optimistic about about our ability to

1:04:49

cut emissions so the assumption is always that we're going to start kind of the next year they make that every year

1:04:56

and and we never get around to doing that and the the second way in which they're often

1:05:02

um or most of those scenarios are unrealistic because they make assumptions about carbon capture and

1:05:08

storage which uh are are on the optimistic side so I am with

1:05:16

climate scientists like Kevin Anderson and Earth system scientists like will Stefan who are more likely to talk about

1:05:25

um zero emissions by the early 2040s or even the late 2030s if you seriously

1:05:31

wanted to aim for uh 1.7 degrees of global warming I you can tell I'm not an

1:05:39

expert in this area I'm really just I wish I had Phil with me because he is but uh I'm trying to justify I suppose

1:05:47

why we are trying to change change and it seems a very arrogant thing to do we're trying to change economics

1:05:53

education I think every economics degree should be

1:05:58

centered on ecological economics and modern monetary Theory we are offering this program which will be great to see

1:06:06

you on Freddie um because uh there are a few places

1:06:12

where Modern monetary Theory makes a significant part of the of the

1:06:18

curriculum there are a few more places where you can study ecological economics but as

1:06:27

far as we're aware there aren't any places other than where you can train in both and I think

1:06:33

they're both extraordinarily important elements of an economics for the the 21st century but yes I agree with you

1:06:54

hi my name is Amos and um I wanted to ask uh you discussed wealth and the income

1:07:02

inequality and assuming that trade unions are

1:07:08

an important or major instrument in reducing inequality I want to ask if there's an internal

1:07:15

conflict or contradiction between the goal of reducing CR missions

1:07:20

or in-house gas emissions and maintaining powerful trading movement as

1:07:28

unionized label today is based mostly in carbon-based Industries

1:07:35

I don't think that there is no and in fact I am not only a member of a trade

1:07:41

Union but I'm very much in favor of a powerful Trade union movement uh I think

1:07:47

that I mean in Australia for example uh I think obviously we're big exporters of

1:07:54

uh coal and natural gas too and I yes I believe that we need to go through a

1:08:01

planned reduction in scale of those Industries and as far as

1:08:06

thermal coal is concerned it needs to be phased out quite quickly um I when we had our conference

1:08:15

in Adelaide two years ago the leader of the coal miners Union in

1:08:20

Australia and Tony Mayer was at the conference was a speaker at

1:08:27

the conference and um I think that

1:08:33

um people are rapidly becoming aware of what we need to do in the future

1:08:38

and then it's important first of all that um communities for example coal

1:08:45

communities they need to see that there is a good future for them beyond the

1:08:52

coal industry people need to see that they're going to have employment opportunities

1:08:58

and people need to be compensated we can't pass the transition costs on to a

1:09:05

small group of people coal miners are not responsible for the emissions which

1:09:12

result from the burning of of Carl as a fossil fuel so I think discussions with

1:09:19

trade unions and Trade union leaders have a very important part to play in a

1:09:26

transition to a sustainable future and we can't do it without them but of course in the long run

1:09:32

they have children and grandchildren two so I think when we talk about uh

1:09:39

ecological constraints we're just talking about reality we have to find a

1:09:44

way to have honest conversations with people and I think this is beginning to

1:09:50

happen now very slowly um we have that's why we had Tony Mayer at the conference

1:09:56

um we uh got on really well he was very

1:10:02

interested in the idea of a federal job guarantee he understands that the coal industry is going to close between now

1:10:08

and 2050. the coal miners Union understand that perfectly well

1:10:13

and then it's about looking after their members and the communities in which their members live people have to be

1:10:20

offered however you do it a a a a a future where their standard of living

1:10:28

is maintained and where they have employment opportunities decent

1:10:34

employment opportunities it's not easy to do but uh it's it's a a vital part of

1:10:40

the transition so no I don't I don't see that there is necessary a conflict I think trade unions are a vitally

1:10:46

important part of a transition to a just

1:10:52

uh future where we are living sustainably people having a good quality of life people are still in employment

1:10:58

but they're not doing the same things they were doing before

1:11:07

foreign

1:11:17

I'm wondering you were showing this graph where you show to us that

1:11:23

um first of all the major fossil fuel extracting countries are really on the

1:11:30

wrong side and I wonder whether you know about countries or movements or political

1:11:37

parties who are somehow taking up these challenges which you have been

1:11:43

describing and maybe if there are what we could learn from them

1:11:50

okay as I said I know an expert Kate rower will tell you that if you wanted

1:11:56

to identify a country which was uh um which was doing better in terms of

1:12:04

pursuing a sustainable uh a future with a

1:12:10

circular economy and a regenerative Approach To Nature the best candidate is probably Costa Rica

1:12:17

but I can't claim to tell you all about that I know there are some videos about about that that you can look at online

1:12:25

in terms of political parties and I reluctantly have been in recent years

1:12:31

a member of a political party um uh they have flaws like all other

1:12:38

political parties do and this term doesn't mean the same thing in every country around the world

1:12:44

either but I am a member will be a non-active one of the Australian greens I give them a membership fee and they

1:12:53

main reason for that really is that they continue to argue for targets for

1:13:00

reducing carbon dioxide emissions in Australia which are consistent with the

1:13:05

science we have a better government in Australia now than we had earlier this year we

1:13:11

have more challenging and more challenging Target than we had before

1:13:16

um but we still have very limited policy decisions to to promote a more

1:13:24

rapid transition to lower carbon emissions we still have a government that talks about

1:13:30

um buying carbon credits internationally and I really don't think uh I I don't

1:13:36

as far as I'm aware um uh the

1:13:42

uh that system is not one that I trusted so

1:13:48

uh and we've got a government with a a a target for from 2005 to 2030 uh

1:13:57

40-something percent reduction in carbon emissions including those that come from

1:14:03

uh land use changes um we need to be 75 or more in Australia

1:14:09

and other countries otherwise there's no way we are heading for 1.7 degrees of

1:14:15

global warming we're heading for 2.7 or more and even quite conservative climate scientists will tell you that

1:14:22

um so I think everyone depending where you are in the world you need to look for

1:14:28

political parties or politicians to support and to get behind who are prepared to

1:14:38

argue for policies which are consistent with at least as far as climate change is concerned with uh with um with the

1:14:47

science and in Australia the Liberal Party are

1:14:52

conservative certainly aren't but even the labor party even the government we have now they've sort of taken half a

1:14:58

step in the direction of sustainability but they got much further to go they're being pressured on that by the greens

1:15:05

and others and while the greens continue to pressure them on that then I'm going to keep paying my membership fees to the

1:15:11

Australian greens I can't say the Australian greens always

1:15:17

talk as though they understand modern monetary Theory however I have to say

1:15:27

so also from you very thank you very much for the the presentation um and also I think very important to to

1:15:32

connect the the ecological transition to mmt because I think rather from going of

1:15:38

a narrative of scarcity and abstinence uh towards a prosperous future for

1:15:44

everyone I think because that wind in the end majority is which we need uh to to get them to the planet and then not

1:15:50

the planet but us surviving um but still I'm wondering because I

1:15:55

think the transition for the industrialized world is already hard enough but we also have to move up plenty of people living in extreme

1:16:02

poverty so how confident are you that we can are able to lift these people up

1:16:07

while remaining in the planetary bonus

1:16:14

um if Bernie Sanders was the U.S president

1:16:20

if Stephanie Carlton was the U.S treasury secretary

1:16:25

if uh if we had uh Steve Keane and Bill Mitchell involved in the Australian

1:16:31

government I'd be a lot more confident than I am at the moment

1:16:36

uh I don't think that it is too lame

1:16:41

um from an you know from an economics point of view or from a from a climate

1:16:47

science point of view I sometimes think it's too late from a political point of view because I'll be honest with you I

1:16:54

can't see um it's it's not going to happen tomorrow the political Tipping Point and if a

1:17:03

republican wins the next U.S presidential election I'll be very pessimistic indeed and

1:17:10

my colleague at modern money lab Gabrielle Bond already is on the streets getting arrested

1:17:16

and gluing herself to the road I'll be doing that

1:17:22

give it five years and if we have not seen major political

1:17:27

changes especially in North America and I the Biden government of course is a

1:17:35

great Improvement on the Trump one but um they're going to go back to Republican Administration or they may do

1:17:42

um uh so how optimistic am I I don't have the expertise to say I am confident uh

1:17:51

if people like Stephanie Kelton and Kate rowers and Mariana maticato and

1:17:59

Economist like there had more influence and we had genuinely Progressive governments in high income countries

1:18:06

that also understood and were prepared to tell the truth about the injustices from historical and

1:18:14

present-day colonialism and to look for just as we should have a treaty in Australia with our first

1:18:20

Nations people here so the global North there should be a global treaty for work

1:18:25

with those countries that have suffered the consequences of of colonialism his historical could

1:18:32

we do all those things could we build a future where everybody had a good

1:18:38

quality of life and we were living sustainably yes um will we I don't know the answer to

1:18:46

that question that doesn't mean I'm going to the other catastrophic extreme

1:18:51

that we're going to be faced with social collapse but it does mean that we are going to have I'm sure we're going to

1:18:57

have a a significantly more global warming we have already we're going to go

1:19:03

um or probably well beyond two degrees of global warming there are going to be

1:19:08

tens of millions of climate related deaths and other deaths relating to uh

1:19:15

uh indirectly to issues like a loss of biodiversity and as always historically

1:19:23

the great cost is going to be on low-income people in the global South

1:19:29

and it's our responsibility I can see some of you are young and you're European

1:19:35

it's your responsibility to get involved in politics and economics and do

1:19:41

something about this

1:19:52

so let me um let me conclude uh and thank you very

1:19:59

much Steven uh for your time and for the talk uh we hope to see you next year

1:20:05

probably uh okay so uh that was it and please send me your presentation because

1:20:11

I I think I don't have it absolutely and thank you very much everybody for listening I hope I haven't bought

1:20:17

everybody to death and thanks to the organizers of uh of this summer school

1:20:23

it's a it's really a really important ongoing contribution to mmt education

1:20:29

and uh I just want to say to everybody what you're learning now is going to place you in a position

1:20:36

in five or ten years time when uh everybody in the world is going to want

1:20:43

to know about what you know now and the supply of that expertise is going to be very limited you're you are you are

1:20:50

important people like you are going to be very important in the next five 10 15

1:20:56

20 years I wish you all the best uh enjoy the rest of the summer school and thanks for listening to me thank you

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿