I’m worried that we could get into a situation (…) where we have the capacity to provide sustained fiscal support, but we let our fear of adding to the national debt or having large deficits prevent us from doing what we could and should be doing.
持続的な財政支援を行う能力があるにもかかわらず、国の借金を増やしたり、巨額の赤字を抱えたりすることを恐れて、できること、すべきことをしないようにしてしまっているのではないかと心配しています。
https://youtu.be/cK2W3mqTaVE
I asked Kelton if a $3.7 trillion deficit is extreme. She said the $3.7 trillion part is fine, but that my use of the word “deficit” might be a problem. Countries that make their own currency can’t go broke. They can simply make more money. Concepts like the debt and deficit, and the debt ceiling and balanced budget agreements, are accounting constructs, not real limits, she said. Spending is limited by inflation, which is determined in part by the amount of slack in the economy: spare workers and resources.
持続的な財政支援を行う能力があるにもかかわらず、国の借金を増やしたり、巨額の赤字を抱えたりすることを恐れて、できること、すべきことをしないようにしてしまっているのではないかと心配しています。
https://youtu.be/cK2W3mqTaVE
I asked Kelton if a $3.7 trillion deficit is extreme. She said the $3.7 trillion part is fine, but that my use of the word “deficit” might be a problem. Countries that make their own currency can’t go broke. They can simply make more money. Concepts like the debt and deficit, and the debt ceiling and balanced budget agreements, are accounting constructs, not real limits, she said. Spending is limited by inflation, which is determined in part by the amount of slack in the economy: spare workers and resources.
私はケルトン氏に、3.7兆ドルの赤字は極端なのかと尋ねた。 彼女は、3.7兆ドルの部分は問題ないが、私が「赤字」という言葉を使ったことが問題になるかもしれないと言った。 独自の通貨を作っている国は破綻することはない。 彼らは単により多くのお金を稼ぐことができます。 債務や赤字、債務上限や均衡予算協定のような概念は、会計上の概念であって、実際の限界ではない、と彼女は言った。 支出はインフレによって制限され、それは経済に余裕のある労働者や資源の量によって部分的に決定される。
Congress Should Spend Much More on Relief Efforts, Economist Stephanie Kelton Says Jack Hough Updated July 21, 2020
America Doesn’t Have a Debt Problem, Economist Stephanie Kelton Says - Barron's
https://www.barrons.com/articles/america-doesnt-have-a-debt-problem-economist-stephanie-kelton-says-51595340933?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/620Qz2dfWqCongress Should Spend Much More on Relief Efforts, Economist Stephanie Kelton Says
Economist Stephanie Kelton says soaring deficits aren't a problem. Has she converted her critics?
私たちはまだMMT化していますか?
経済学者のステファニー・ケルトン氏は、赤字の急増は問題ではないと語った。彼女は批評家を改宗させましたか?
On the limits of government spending:13:50~ 16:15~
There is a limit in the sense that if the government’s financial contribution, which is what the deficit is, becomes excessive, it will show up in the form of inflationary pressure. We are nowhere near running up against our economy’s real resource capacity, given how depressed the economy is. The House has already passed the Heroes Act. Could the Senate take it up and commit to another $3 trillion in spending? Of course it could. It could do it today. Would that be excessive? I don’t think so.
政府支出の限界について:
赤字である政府の財政貢献が過大になるとインフレ圧力という形で現れるという限界がある。経済がいかに落ち込んでいるかを考えると、私たちは経済の実質的な資源容量に逆らうところはほとんどありません。下院はすでに英雄法を通過しました。上院はそれを取り上げて、さらに3兆ドルの支出にコミットすることができますか?もちろん可能です。今日はそれができるでしょう。それは過剰でしょうか?そうは思いません。
On this year’s final deficit number:
We’re talking about a $3.7 trillion deficit now, but I strongly suspect that number is going up. More people are going to lose jobs. Their incomes will drop off and they will pay less taxes. On top of that, I think Congress is going to act again. I don’t know what the number is going to be, but let’s say that it’s at least another $1 trillion.
今年の最終的な赤字数について:
現在、3.7兆ドルの赤字について話しているが、その数は増えていると強く思う。より多くの人々が失業するでしょう。彼らの収入は減少し、彼らはより少ない税金を支払うでしょう。その上で、議会は再び行動を起こすと思います。その数がどうなるかはわかりませんが、少なくともさらに1兆ドルとしましょう
On when debt might become a precursor to disaster:
It doesn’t, unless you’ve created an inflation problem. When we say the Congress is coordinating its deficits by selling bonds, it’s important to recognize that’s a choice. There is no imperative for a currency-issuing government to borrow its own currency from anybody. It could always choose to simply leave those dollars that its deficit produces sitting on balance sheets.
I think it’s a problem that we describe what the government is doing as borrowing. It’s not akin to borrowing when you and I borrow money. Is there some risk that at some point in the future, we will get into trouble because the stockpile of Treasurys has grown too large? If you don’t have a long-run inflation problem, then I don’t believe you face a long-term debt problem, regardless of the size of the debt, even relative to the size of the economy. If it just comes down to inflation.
It doesn’t, unless you’ve created an inflation problem. When we say the Congress is coordinating its deficits by selling bonds, it’s important to recognize that’s a choice. There is no imperative for a currency-issuing government to borrow its own currency from anybody. It could always choose to simply leave those dollars that its deficit produces sitting on balance sheets.
I think it’s a problem that we describe what the government is doing as borrowing. It’s not akin to borrowing when you and I borrow money. Is there some risk that at some point in the future, we will get into trouble because the stockpile of Treasurys has grown too large? If you don’t have a long-run inflation problem, then I don’t believe you face a long-term debt problem, regardless of the size of the debt, even relative to the size of the economy. If it just comes down to inflation.
借金がいつ災害の前兆になるかについて:
あなたはインフレ問題を作成していない限り、それはしません。私たちが議会が債券を売ることによってその赤字を調整していると言うとき、それが選択であることを認識することが重要です。通貨発行政府が誰からも自国通貨を借りる義務はない。それは常に、その赤字が生み出すドルをバランスシートに残しておくことを常に選択することができます。
あなたはインフレ問題を作成していない限り、それはしません。私たちが議会が債券を売ることによってその赤字を調整していると言うとき、それが選択であることを認識することが重要です。通貨発行政府が誰からも自国通貨を借りる義務はない。それは常に、その赤字が生み出すドルをバランスシートに残しておくことを常に選択することができます。
政府が借金として何をしているのかというのは問題だと思います。あなたと私がお金を借りるとき、それは借りるようなものではありません。財務省の備蓄が大きくなりすぎて、将来のある時点で問題が発生するリスクはありますか?長期的なインフレ問題がなければ、債務の規模に関係なく、経済の規模に関係なく、長期的な債務問題に直面することはないと思います。それがインフレに帰着する場合。
政府が借金として何をしているのかというのは問題だと思います。あなたと私がお金を借りるとき、それは借りるようなものではありません。財務省の備蓄が大きくなりすぎて、将来のある時点で問題が発生するリスクはありますか?長期的なインフレ問題がなければ、債務の規模に関係なく、経済の規模に関係なく、長期的な債務問題に直面することはないと思います。それがインフレに帰着する場合。
On whether the U.S. is doing modern monetary theory (MMT) now: 17:05~ 17:55~
It’s not something we do. It’s meant to be a description of how the monetary system that we have today works. Where are the limits? It isn’t a set of prepackaged policies that you drop in place.
I was looking at the economic landscape back in 2008, 2009, 2010, and I was definitely among the economists who were decrying the pivot from supporting the economy to austerity. The whole Simpson-Bowles commission. These remarks in the State of the Union address from President Barack Obama, saying it was time for the government to start sharing in sacrifice just like a household needing to tighten the budget. That was a problem. And I tried to be loud and vocal and say this is madness. This is not the right way to run macro economic policy at this moment.
Today, we’ve seen Congress step up in bolder ways. They’ve moved four pieces of legislation already. Five, if you count the Heroes Act that the House has passed. There does seem to be a different willingness and appetite for doing what needs to be done and not backing off as quickly. I am worried that we’re getting to the point now where you’re starting to see how some members, both Republican and Democratic, express concern about deficits and the debt. I’m worried that we could get into a situation where we have the capacity to provide sustained fiscal support, but we let our fear of adding to the national debt or having large deficits prevent us from doing what we could and should be doing.
米国が現代の通貨理論(MMT)を現在実行しているかどうかについて:
それは私たちがすることではありません。これは、現在の通貨システムがどのように機能するかを説明するためのものです。限界はどこですか?これは、配置済みの事前にパッケージ化されたポリシーのセットではありません。
私は2008年、2009年、2010年の経済情勢を見ていましたが、私は間違いなく経済のサポートから緊縮財政へのピボットを否定していたエコノミストの一人でした。シンプソンボウルズ委員会全体。これらの一般教書演説は、バラック・オバマ大統領が演説したもので、家計が予算を引き締める必要があるように、政府が犠牲の分かち合いを始める時がきたと述べた。それが問題でした。そして、私は大声で声に出して、これは狂気だと言いました。これは現時点でマクロ経済政策を実行する正しい方法ではありません。
今日、私たちは議会がより大胆な方法でステップアップするのを見てきました。彼らはすでに4つの法律を制定した。5、下院が通過した英雄法を数えれば。実行する必要があることを実行し、すぐに後退しないことには、異なる意欲と食欲があるようです。共和党と民主党の両方のメンバーがどのように赤字と負債について懸念を表明しているのかが見え始めているところまで来ているのではないかと心配しています。私たちは持続的な財政支援を提供する能力を持っている状況に入ることができるのではないかと心配していますが、国債に追加することや大きな赤字があることを恐れて、私たちができることとすべきことを実行できなくなります。
On Japan’s economy:19:20~
Japan is in many ways phenomenally successful. Infrastructure in Japan is extremely efficient and clean. Look how long people live. They have health care. Infant mortality rates are very low. So in many ways, Japanese people live very good lives. The economy is in good shape. Now you look at growth rates and you say, but they haven’t been growing very fast. Well, OK. But is that everything? Is that really the best measure of how an economy is performing for its people? I don’t think it is.
You have demographic issues in Japan as we do here. People spend less as they age. And an economy that’s largely driven by consumption spending, it seems to me pretty natural that that category of spending will be depressed over time.
And then of course you have the Japanese government, which has increased the consumption tax time after time, each time stalling out what was then the start of a pickup in growth. [There was] too much reliance on the central bank for many years. I think fiscal policy would have been a more potent tool. But I think they’re figuring it out. They’ve certainly got a very ambitious fiscal package in place now.
日本経済について:
日本は多くの点で驚異的な成功を収めています。日本のインフラは非常に効率的で清潔です。人々がどれだけ長く生きているか見てください。彼らはヘルスケアを持っています。乳児死亡率は非常に低いです。だから多くの意味で、日本人はとても良い人生を送っています。経済は良好な状態です。さて、あなたは成長率を見て、あなたは言うが、それらはそれほど速く成長していない。まぁ、いいよ。しかし、それだけですか?それは本当に経済が国民のためにどのように機能しているかの最良の測定ですか?そうは思いません。
ここにあるように、日本には人口問題があります。人々は年をとるにつれ支出が少なくなります。そして主に消費支出によって動かされる経済、私がその支出のカテゴリーが時間とともに落ち込むことはかなり自然に思われます。
そしてもちろん、あなたは日本政府を持っています。それは時々消費税を増やしており、そのたびに成長のピックアップの始まりであったものを失速させています。何年もの間中央銀行への過度の依存がありました。財政政策はもっと強力な道具だっただろうと思います。しかし、彼らはそれを理解していると思います。彼らは確かに今、非常に野心的な財政パッケージを準備しています。
On what the U.S. should spend more on:20:33~
When economists look at an economy’s long-term growth potential, things like infrastructure, education, and research and development are widely agreed upon as key drivers. Those are three categories where I think we are long overdue.
米国が何にもっと費やすべきかについて:
経済学者が経済の長期的な成長の可能性を検討するとき、インフラストラクチャ、教育、研究開発などのものが、主要な推進力として広く合意されています。これらは、私たちが長い間遅れていると思う3つのカテゴリーです。
On whether MMT is really a political moment: 21:41~
This did not start out for any of us as an attempt to play in the political sphere. We were engaging in scholarship around the introduction of the euro as a currency. And because we understood things differently from contemporary economists, we were able to see well before the vast majority figured it out why being a currency issuer was so important. We were sounding alarm bells before the euro was even officially a thing.
MMTが本当に政治的瞬間であるかどうかについて:
これは、私たちにとって、政治の領域で遊ぶ試みとして始まったわけではありません。私たちは通貨としてのユーロの導入を中心に奨学金に従事していました。また、現代の経済学者とは異なる点を理解していたため、大多数が通貨発行者であることがなぜそれほど重要であるかを理解する前に、十分に理解することができました。ユーロが正式なものになる前から、私たちは警鐘を鳴らしていました。