http://www.nikkeihyo.co.jp/books/view/2568
ポスト・ケインジアン叢書 40
ポスト・ケインズ派の経済理論【第二版】
著者:J.E.キング編/小山庄三監訳
定価:9,900 円
ISBN:978-4-8188-2568-0
判型:A5判
頁:720頁
刊行:2021年01月
貨幣(Money) L・ランドール・レイ
カルドアの経済学(Kaldorian Economics) A・P・サールウォール
ガルブレイスの経済学(Galbraith’s Economics) スティーヴン・P・ダン
カレツキの経済学(Kaleckian Economics) ヤン・トポロフスキー
為替レート(Exchange Rates) ジョン・T・ハーヴィ
72
カレツキの経済学 (Kaleckian Economics)
カレツキの経済学とは、 ミハウ・カレツキ (1899-1970年) により系統立てて述べ
られた経済理論およびかれの影響を受けた経済学者たちによるその理論の拡張を意味
すると広く定義してよいのかもしれない。 カレツキは、オーストリア・マルクス主義、
ローザ・ルクセンブルグ、 ミカエル・ツガン-バラノフスキーおよびヘンリク・グロ
スマン (Henryk Grossmann) が知識階級の間で大きな影響力をもっていた1920年代
の左翼的な政治状況下で経済学を独学したポーランドの技術者兼数学者であった。 か
れは、1929年から1936年まで、 ポーランド最初の国民所得統計を構築した、 ワルシャ
ワの景気および物価研究所(Business Cycle and Prices Institute)に勤務していた。
かれは1933年に、資本主義下の景気循環についてのかれの最初の分析を発表し、景気
循環は、資本家の利潤の変動によってまず引き起こされる投資の不安定性によって起
こると主張した。 投資が非常に重要であるとされた。 カレツキの考えでは、資本主義
の下では、投資が総需要の主な決定要因であるばかりでなく、続いて利潤をも決定す
るということである。 なぜなら、資本家にとっての費用は、概して消費に使われてし
まう賃金によって主に占められているからである。 このことは、カレツキ理論の大意
を格言体の形にしたものとして次のように要約 (ジョーン・ロビンソンが述べたとい
う人もおればカルドアの作という人もいるが)されている。 すなわち、「労働者は稼
73
いだものを支出する。 資本家は支出したものを稼ぐ」 である。 このことは、よく知ら
れたケインズの貯蓄恒等式から容易に導き出すことができる。 そこでは、貯蓄 (S)
は定義によって、粗投資 (I) プラス財政赤字(政府支出マイナス税収、 G-T)、プ
ラス貿易黒字 (輸出マイナス輸入、 X-M) に等しい。 ここで社会には、貯蓄も消費
もできる利潤と賃金をそれぞれ稼ぐ資本家と労働者という、二つの階級しか存在しな
いと想定しよう。 したがって貯蓄恒等式は労働者と資本家の貯蓄 (Sw) と Sc)を表わ
すことになる。
S=I+ (G-T) + (X-M) = Sw+Sc
もし労働者の貯蓄が方程式の両辺から差し引かれるならば、 貯蓄恒等式は資本家の貯
蓄のみを示すことになる。
Sc=I+ (G-T) + (X-M) -Sw
利潤は貯蓄も消費も可能であるから、方程式の右辺に資本家の消費(Cc)を加えると、
利潤(P)を表わす式が得られる。
P=Cc+Sc=I+ (G-T) + (X-M)+Cc-Sw
したがって利潤は粗投資プラス財政赤字プラス貿易黒字プラス資本家の消費マイナス
労働者の貯蓄に等しい。資本家の投資支出あるいはかれら自身の消費、財政赤字、あ
るいは外国人による輸出品への支出が大きければ大きいほど、利潤も大きくなるであ
ろう。より大きい利潤は、過剰生産力が現れ投資が削減されるまでは、より大きい投
資をもたらす傾向がある。 過剰生産力の出現は、利潤を減少させ、それが解消され投
資が増加し始めるまでは経済活動水準を低下させ続ける原因となる。 より大きい利潤
はより大きい投資のための資金を供給し経済活動のブームを刺激する。
1936年にカレッキはポーランドを去ってストックフォルムに行き、最終的にはロン
ドンに落ち着いた。 そこではジョーン・ロビンソンが、かれにケインズの研究仲間に
加わるよう勧誘した。 かれはケインズの均衡理論に批判的ではあったが、資本主義の
下での完全雇用の可能性に関する、 ケンブリッジの、後にはオックスフォードの議論
には快く参加した。このときかれは、主要費用へのマークアップが不完全競争によっ
て決定されるとする価格分析と、 外部金融は流動性を供給すると同時に金融リスクを
高める負債であるとする企業金融の分析を展開した。 カレッキは、 第二次世界大戦後
ほぼ10年間、国連のために働き、そこでは発展途上国の諸問題について詳細な研究を
行なった。後年ここから、 資本主義の本源的蓄積に対する社会経済的 「構造上の」障
害、すなわち、貧困、農村の後進性および食糧供給問題を抱えた、発展途上国の資本
蓄積に対する金融上のボトルネックに焦点を合わせた経済発展の分析が生まれた。
1955年に、カレッキはポーランドに戻った。スターリン主義者の過剰投資によって引
き起こされた混乱の中で、かれは十分な水準の消費を維持し過度の輸入を避ける必要
から、過度の投資はあまり好ましくないことを強調した。かれは社会主義的市場の強
74
力な反対者で、 市場メカニズムは効果的に調整され中央集権化された投資計画よりも
効率的ではないと主張した。 1968年に、カレツキとかれの同僚たちは政治的批判にさ
らされ、反ユダヤ主義者による追放処分を受けた。
ケインズ死後数年たって、 ジョーン・ロビンソンは、 急進的な資本主義批判、 すな
わち、資本主義は、 (景気循環があるため) 不安定で、 (投資を維持する上で大きい利
潤が必要である一方で、 費用最小化は賃金を押し下げるため) 逆進的な所得分配に向
かう傾向があり、 (それが労働規律を徐々に弱めるため) 完全雇用とも相容れないと
いう批判を展開しているカレッキの研究を支持する旨明らかにした (ロビンソン 1966
年)。 カレツキが国民所得恒等式に基づく数学モデルの形で自分の分析を説明したこ
とにより、かれの研究は、 第一世代のケインジアン・モデルの構築者たち、とりわけ、
ローレンス・クラインとデイヴィッド・ワースウィック (David Worswick) にとっ
て魅力的なものになった。 かれらは、ケインズのものより景気循環についてより体系
的な説明を可能にするそれらのモデルに魅せられたのである (クライン 1947年)。
1950年代にカレツキは、ポール・スウィージーやジョセフ・シュタインドルの研究
を通して、 マルクス主義の独占資本主義学派に大きな影響を与えた。 カレッキの分析
は、剰余価値を利潤として実現する問題が、 20世紀の資本主義においては、 企業の投
資と政府の赤字財政支出によってどのように緩和されたかを示している。 同時に、競
争のないことが資本家に独占利潤をもたらし、 それが過剰生産力をより許容できるも
のにしている。そのような過剰生産力が資本家の投資意欲を衰えさせ、 経済を不景気
に向かわせることになるとされている (バラン&スウィージー 1966年、 シュタイン
ドル 1952年)。
カレツキの考えは、 1970年代を通じてポスト・ケインズ派経済学の出現を先導した
といえる。 ここでのカレツキの経済学は、 ケインズ派の考えとワルラス的一般均衡と
の新古典派的総合に取って代わりうる明確で一貫したもう一つ別の考え方を提示した。
カレツキは、 (1970年代に資本主義に経済的不安定性が戻ってきてから経済分析には
なくてはならない構成要素となった) 景気循環理論のみならず、 ケインズの 『一般理
論』 ではおおむね欠落していたミクロ経済学的基礎をも提供することができたのであ
る。 (ミクロ的基礎を欠いていたことは、 新古典派やマネタリストがケインズの言う
失業を賃金の非伸縮性によるものと解釈するのを容易にしていたのである。) カレッ
キは、 独占と、 利潤からの投資性向を減退させる過剰生産力との観点から見た、 より
急進的なミクロ経済学的説明を提供した (キング 1996年、 ソーヤー 1985年)。こ
の点では、 ポスト・ケインジアンの分析は、 カレッキの価格と景気循環の理論を、総
需要と完全雇用についてのより正統派のケインジアンの関心に重ね合わせ接合したも
のとなっているといえる。
しかしながら、 ポスト・ケインジアンたちは、 カレツキとケインズの研究がお互い
に相容れそうにない二つの側面を概して見逃す立場をとってきている。 第一の側面は、
期待と不確実性についてのそれぞれの取扱い方から生じている。 期待は、 両理論家が
ともに景気循環の原因であるとしている投資の不安定性についての、 ケインズの説明
75
において中心的な役割を演じている。 カレツキの考えでは、 企業の確信は主として現
在の利潤によって決定されるので、 企業人の期待に入り込む主観的要素をこれ以上分
析する必要はないとされる。 次に不確実性は、ケインズの貨幣の流動性選好理論にお
いて中心的な役割を果たしている。 カレッキは、 マーシャルの伝統にとらわれる必要
のない外部の出身なので、 大口金融市場以外に、なんらかの貨幣に対する総需要およ
び総供給を仮定する必要性を感じず、 銀行組織が企業の信用需要を満足させるのは資
本主義の基本的特徴であると考えた。 したがって貨幣は経済システムにとって
なものであり、資産としての貨幣への需要 (ケインズの言う 「投機的」 動機に基づく
需要) にとって、不確実性は、 長期利子率との比較における短期利子率の変動ほどに
は重要ではないとされている。
カレッキはまた、 ケインズが投資の決定要因として長期利子率 (長期債券の利回り)
を強調していることに批判的であった。 その利子率は相対的に安定していることが示
され、したがって投資の不安定性を説明するのにほとんど役に立たないと考えられた
からである。 ケインズは、 長期利子率を上回る投資の期待収益率(かれのいう、資本
の限界効率)が不安定であり、 したがってそれが投資の不安定性を説明すると主張す
ることによって、この問題を解決した。 それに対してカレツキは、外部負債のない企
業部門の (したがって、 企業が破産の原因ともなりうる金融費用を負担することなく
投資に使える) 内部流動性が、 利潤の水準と外部金融の度合いとともに変動するがゆ
えに投資は不安定であると主張した。 これは、カレツキの「危険逓増の原理」である。
W・H・ロック・アンダーソン (W.H. Locke Anderson) は、 1960年代初頭にこれに
ついての先駆的研究を行なっている。 金融資本の理論としてのポスト・ケインズ主義
の主な提唱者、ハイマン・ミンスキーは、 カレッキの景気循環理論を用いたが、 ケイ
ンズの期待とアーヴィング・フィッシャーの負債デフレによる経済不況理論に基づく
かれ独自の投資金融分析を展開した (ミンスキー 1986年)。
ポスト・ケインジアンたちは、ケインズの経済学の空白を埋めるためにカレツキの
分析を選択的に利用する傾向があり、 また共産主義の崩壊がカレッキの社会主義の経
済学に対する興味を著しく減殺しているものの、発展途上国や新興工業国で繰り返し
起こっている経済危機や旧資本主義諸国における不安定な金融状況により、 カレッキ
の経済学を新たに発展させたり適用したりする余地が開けてきているといえよう。
ヤン・トポロウスキー (Jan Toporowski)
以下の項目も見よ
開発金融、価格設定と諸価格、過少消費、期待、金融不安定性仮説、 景気循環、社会主義、不
確実性、利潤。
参考文献
Baran, P. A. and Sweezy, P. M. (1966), Monopoly Capital: An Essay on the American Economic
and Social Order, New York: Monthly Review Press. ( 小原敬士訳 『独占資本―アメリカの
76
経済、社会秩序にかんする試論』 岩波書店、1967年)
Kalecki, M. (1990-97), Collected Works of Michal Kalecki, edited by Jerzy Osiatyński, Oxford,
Clarendon Press.
King. J. E. (ed.) (1996), An Alternative Macroeconomic Theory: The Kaleckian Model and Post-
Keynesian Economics, boston: kluwer.
Klein, L. R. (1947) The Keynesian Revolution, New York: Macmillan. (篠原三代平・宮沢健一
訳『ケインズ革命』 有斐閣、新版1965年。 )
Minsky, H. P. (1986), Stabilizing an Unstable Economy, New Haven: Yale University Press. (吉
野紀・浅田統一郎・内田和男訳 『金融不安定性の経済学』 多賀出版、1989年。)
Robinson, J. (1966), Kalecki and Keynes', in Economic Dynamics and Planning: Essays in Hon-
our of Michat Kalecki, Oxford: Pergamon Press, pp. 335-41 (「カレツキーとケインズ」J・ロ
ビンソン著、山田克巳訳 『資本理論とケインズ経済学』 日本経済評論社、1988年、所収。)
Sawyer, M. C. (1985), The Economics of Michat Kalecki, London: Macmillan. (緒方俊雄監訳『市
場と計画の社会システム』 日本経済評論社、1994年。 )
Steindl, J. (1952) Maturity and Stagnation in American Capitalism, Oxford: Blackwell. (宮崎義
笹原昭五・鮎沢成男訳 『アメリカ資本主義の成熟と停滞』 日本評論社、1962年)
Jan Toporowski on Michael Kalecki and Why Capitalists Dislike Full Emplo...
2023/02/10
https://youtu.be/f3u-UE3oEuo
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||
Odd Lots
In the wake of the Great Financial Crisis, the work of John Maynard Keynes experienced a revival, as people sought answers to the problem of sluggish growth. In this cycle, sluggish growth isn't the problem. If anything, you hear business leaders and central bankers talking about the labor market being "too hot," and the need for the unemployment rate to rise. So what explains the current dynamic? And how can we sustain a hot economy without the pain of inflation? Perhaps the work of the lesser-known Polish economist Michał Kalecki holds the answers. Like Keynes, he also viewed the free market as being inherently unstable, but he came to different conclusions about why. He also explored the political economy of full employment and why this condition frustrates business leaders. On this episode, we speak with Jan Toporowski, professor of Economics and Finance at SOAS University of London, about Kalecki's work and how it can help us understand today's economy. See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Apple Podcastでお聴きください: https://podcasts.apple.com/jp/podcast/odd-lots/id1056200096?i=1000599003385
アンニーナ・カルテンブルナー(Annina Kaltenbrunner
アンニナカルタテンブルナー
我らがヤン・トポロフスキーがオッドロッツでカレッキを。嬉しいサプライズです! open.spotify.com/episode/4FcN7v...
2023/02/12 6:01
https://twitter.com/anninak82/status/1624513954436329472?s=61&t=3qE3xEHdmtj4UeuaJCMb1A
ヤン・トポロフスキー、資本主義者が完全雇用を嫌う理由を説明する
オッドロッツ
大金融危機の後、ジョン・メイナード・ケインズの研究は、人々が成長鈍化の問題への解答を求めたため、復活した。しかし、このサイクルでは、成長鈍化が問題なのではない。むしろ、ビジネスリーダーや中央銀行が、労働市場が「熱すぎる」、失業率が上昇する必要があると話しているのを耳にすることが多い。では、現在の状況はどうなっているのでしょうか。どうすれば、インフレに悩まされることなく、好調な経済を維持できるのだろうか。おそらく、あまり知られていないポーランドの経済学者、ミハウ・カレッキの研究がその答えを示している。ケインズと同様、彼も自由市場は本質的に不安定であると考えたが、その理由については異なる結論に達した。彼はまた、完全雇用の政治経済学と、なぜこの条件がビジネスリーダーをいらだたせるのかを探った。今回の放送では、ロンドン大学SOASの経済学・金融学教授であるヤン・トポロフスキー氏に、カレツキの業績と、それが今日の経済を理解する上でどのように役立つかを伺います。プライバシーに関する情報はomnystudio.com/listenerをご覧ください。
Apple Podcastでお聴きください: https://podcasts.apple.com/jp/podcast/odd-lots/id1056200096?i=1000599003385
0:00
[音楽]
0:09 こんにちは、オッド ロット ポッドキャストの別のエピソードへようこそ。私はジョー
ワイゼンタールです。
0:23ええと、私たちのマクロの 1 つは、ニールとコナーのようなものだったのかもしれません
。
私が言うことを聞いてくれて本当にありがとう 第二に、私が
0:40言ったことは、あなたが中央銀行、特に連邦準備制度理事会を持っているのは本当に奇妙に感じることだと思います。
0:48 彼らは失業率を押し上げたいと思っています ええ、取るに足らないことですが、私たちは 3.5% 前後にいます 0:54 現在の失業
率は 50% 以下です。
何年にもわたる労働市場の成長の鈍化
1:07um どれだけの失業者が存在するかについて切望されたパンデミックの最悪の時期の恐怖の一部ですが、それでもここに
1:13 あり、ほとんどの場合、それは機会ではなく解決すべき問題として語られています1:21
雇用率が低すぎると経済が過熱するのではないかという懸念は常にありますが、そうなると、
1:27とにかく、経済とは何のための経済なのかという、これらすべての本当に大きな問題が浮き彫りになります。を目指す
1:35そのようなシステムは、失業率が非常に低いことを願っていますが、私は
リスクがあると思います.価格と
1:48 この絶え間ないインフレを正しく理解しても、インフレはひどいものであり、それは人々を傷つけ、人々はそれを好まない
。政策
2:01 あなたが知っている非常に多くの人々が、少なくともさらに 150 万人の人々を失業させるだろう
2:07 労働市場のデータが弱ければ、しばしば株式市場の上昇につながることがよくある
2:12 ニュースは良いニュースです 多くの人が仕事を持っているということは 2:18 多くの人が
企業利益を非常に高く使っていることを意味します これらは良いことだと思いますが、あるレベルではそれはすべてのことのようですof
2:25 これは悪いことであり、私はそうではありません
.私が考えるこれらの根本的な質問は、なぜ投資
家が完全雇用を嫌うのかなど、考える価値があると思います
。政治経済について話すとき、人々が時々話すこと
2:52 完全雇用または最大雇用 Mikhail koletski という名前のエコノミスト
2:58 うーん、彼の仕事は時々出てくるので、私たちは彼自身が
多くのことを研究しているエコノミストに話をするつもりです 3:04ええと、コレツキーの仕事であり、これらの質問の多くについて彼自身の仕事をしています
.3:10完全雇用がもたらす緊張のようなものについてもう少し理解しようとしています
.3:15ヤン・タポロフスキーと話す予定です. 3:21 ロンドンの下水道大学の教授toporovsky 教授、奇妙に来てくれてどうも
ありがとうございました。
そしてあなたの研究と
3:34これらのトピックのいくつかに集中するようにあなたを駆り立てまし
た.私が実際に経済学の学部の研究をしていなかったときは、3 : 57 社会学と政治学
のほうが多かったです。
私が最初に得た仕事は
4:03 資金管理でした。
:08Augustus Instituteal 教会の英国コミッショナーと私が
4:18 入門経済学のコースを 1 つ受講していたので、彼らは彼がそれについて何か知っていると考え、私を地区交換に入れました。
4:24 投資部門 これは 1974 年のことですええと、あなたは明らかにあまりにも若すぎ
ます
4:50 不動産市場 株式市場での崩壊
4:56 ブローカーの証券会社のカップルが倒産した 銀行がいくつかの銀行を始めた
5:04 マークフリンジ銀行が主要銀行を倒産し
たええと、ロンドンの上級都市の人物を呼び出して、
位置を5:19上にショアしてみてください。ええと、ええと、5:
26として新しいコモドールとして知っていることは知っています。これは非常にエキサイティングだと思いましたが、私はよく考えました。もっと調べる必要があります
5:32それについて私は経済学を勉強する必要があるので、私は行きました..本を登録しまし
た.. :50 そして、この経済の一般均衡モデルがあるとしましょう。私は5:57 私の先輩の教授です。そこの先輩の教授は非常に著名な人物です6:02 ええと、アメリカの英国の経済学者です。 6:17 そして、私はそこに座って、この男がどの世界に住んでいるのかわからないと思ったことを覚えていますいいえ
6:28実際に何が起こっていたのかを理解する 図書館に行って何冊かの本をパラパラとめくった
のを覚えている
著名なポーランド人経済学者がいることを知っていたので、
6:49本を読み始めましたが、それは彼の初期のエッセイであり、
6:55 土地のビジネス面で突然すべてが理にかなっており、
7:03 それ以来ずっと理にかなっていますとはいえ、私はミハル・パリツキーの多くのフォロワーとはかなり異なる見方をしていると思います
が、私は銀行と金融の側面でこのバックグラウンドを持っているという7:10の意味で、これは
常に私のアプローチでした。カレツキーの作品なので、あなたのことだと思います
7:25あなたが提起しているあなたの質問の問題は、
カレツキーについての私の理解にとって絶対に基本的なことを知っているということです.7:36
ええと多くのええと多くの
友人や同僚kaletsky をよくフォローしてください 1 月は私たちと話してください
7:47 それから、あなたが読んだ内容があなたにとって意味のあるものであり、私が特に興味を持っているのは 7:53
景気循環とあなたが知っている理論的均衡
7:59 水準と完全雇用との間の関係ですあなたがちょうど
8:04にほのめかしたように、一般均衡アプローチは本質的に静的な
8:10アプローチです。
8:16これ以上の変化がなく、これが現実の
世界で実際に起こらない場合、どのような状況が発生します
か?なぜ kalitzki の経済学へのアプローチは、ビジネス サイクルの 8:43 に焦点を当てているのか ええと、II は、アプローチの中で 8:51 よりもはるかに
満足できると思います。根本的に動的な問題なので、なぜ説明しないのですか9:05 あなたのことを考えると、カインもこれらのトピックに取り組んだことを知っているからです9:13 完全雇用の創出 なぜ通常の時代に投資が不十分なのか
9:18 これらの停滞期に傾向がある
9:23 これらの点で、コレチはケインズとどのように異なっていたのか 9:23 質問は、彼が
ケインの意見に同意したことから始めさせてください
。産出のレベル
9:44全体の産出のレベルと雇用の全体のレベルは、ええと 9:51 投資のレベル 事業投資のレベル によって決定されます9:57 第二次世界大戦
後
経済 ええと 政府にも政府があります
10:03支出もそれと関係がありますが、基本的には 10:09民間
部門の中で ええと、民間部門の活動のレベルは実際には投資のレベルによって決まります
10:16そして、その投資レベルを不安定にする原因は何なのかという問題です10:22例えば
消費よりもはるかに不安定です彼の人生を通して維持するために、彼は10:40 さまざまなモデルを提示し、それらを熟考して10:45 間違っていたと判断します 10:51ええと、ケインのような親切な人は、ええと10:56 この問題を隠蔽しようとしましたああ、それが何であったかを言うと、それはすべてアニマルスピリットのせいですええと、それはすべて不確実性によるものであり、これの問題は、ええと、あなたが知っている11:09不確実性とええと、アニマルスピリットではありません
11:16ええと、たとえば鉄鋼生産が測定可能であるのと同じ方法で測定可能です
11:22それは本当に解決策を 11:27目に
見えないもの、観察できないものに押し上げています カリツキー・クリツキーの
11:35バックグラウンドはええとエンジニアとしてのもので、彼はこれを見つけました11:42満足できない
解決しようとした ええ 確かに彼は思った12:02よりシニカルで、儚い気分に影響されるよりもはるかに強く噛まれます
12:21企業が構築されるのは、本当に
ええと、ええと、
排除するためです.
キャパシティ稼働率 ええと、企業は
12:57 であれば投資します 既存の生産では満足できない顧客がいる場合 ええと
13:05 たとえフルキャパシティで
もレストランは満員で、ドアにはまだ客が
いる
彼のたとえ話
13:33アメリカには都市があり、それらは13:42複数の鉄道路線で結ばれており、
それらのコムの効果は13:54 それら
の間の競争の影響は、最終的にそれらの鉄道路線の 1 つが 14:01 事業から撤退し、容量がはるかに少ない状況に陥るということです。生産量がはるかに少ないので、 14:16 この問題に対する14:16 14:22 3 番目の鉄道の容量を十分に活用していないという問題の答えは何ですか?最初の 2 つの鉄道
14:35 路線はすべての労働者と鉄鋼を輸送するのに忙しくなります
. 3 本の鉄道路線 ええと、これらをどうするかという
と、彼は 14:53 答えは 4 番目の鉄道路線を建設することです
。それは
15:06逆説的であり、それが逆説的である理由は、
15:12投資のレベルに依存するシステムであり、
15:18投資のレベルについて重要なことは、それが投資のレベルであるということです。
15:26 企業がどれだけの利益を生み出すかを決定します 企業は多額の投資を行います
15:34多額の利益を得ることができます あまり投資しない場合
15:42 そうではありませ
ん:47 あなたはこの問題を抱えています 過剰生産能力 ええと経済活動を思いとどまらせる 投資を思いとどまらせるため
の活動16:13コレツキーはビジネスサイクルや投資の管理について言います16:20サイクルにおけるその重要性を考えれば コレツキーはこう考えました
16:26 投資レベルに影響を与えようとしている ええと、それは本当に愚か者のゲーム
です
。
16:46よし、ビジネスにはある程度の投資が必要
16:53投資を行い、さらに減税が必要 17:01さらに投資するために金利を引き下げる17:09
ええと本当に意味が
ない 意味が
ないこれを行うための21の手段 投資の目的は
17:27 必要とされる消費量のキャパシティを提供する
17:34 あなたが知っている経済では、それが合理的な経済が機能する方法です
17:41 つまり、これもケインズとコリツキー ケインズが望んでいたわずかな違いでした
.
_
_
_ 18:14無料で提供される追加の公共財と公共
サービスを提供することで、18:20賃金を上げるという問題を回避できます。
無料の公共財を提供することで、実質賃金を上げることができます。
18:28そしてもちろん他の方法は、所得をより高い所得から
より低い所得に再
分配することです.私もそれが何を意味するのかさえわかりません18:48しかし、
失業率は50年で最低です:01 ええと、経済の白血球のようなものがあるようです FED が入ってくるようです 金利を上げたいと考えています解雇された人々
19:13 労働市場のデータが入るたびに、ある種の安堵感を覚える投資家がいる
19:20 経済状態にこの不快感があるのはなぜか
19:20投資する理由 設備投資を良くする それは他人の収入へのみんなの投資
19:32 なぜこのような反乱があるのか それに対する反乱 ええと、それは
19:39 純粋に政治的なものだと彼は主張しました ええと、これは彼の有名な記事で彼の運命を主張したと彼は言いました
19:47ええと、完全雇用の政治的側面をあまり知らない人にお勧めします。ええと、カリツキー 19:55読みやすく、
単一の方程式ではありませんええと
20:00いいえ、彼はそこで主張しました。は
20:08全体としてシステムにとってより合理的であるほうがより合理的であり、利益がより合理
的ですこれは労働規律の問題です20:35 完全雇用の状態にある場合20:42 労働者を規律することは非常に難しくなります 工場またはオフィスで20:50 労働者が退社できる場合 20:50 ええと20:57別のものを手に入れてください 労働規律はどこにありますか21:02管理について それは実際には労働の管理についてであり、カリツキーは次のように主張しました
.
_
_
_
21:39 状況はどういうわけか明らかに不健全であると主張する中央銀行関係者は皆、
21:47 インフレと 21:47 インフレがあったことを十分に知っていますが、
21:55 現時点でインフレが起こっていることも知っています
22:01現在のインフレの多くは単にエネルギー市場であったため22:07
ロシアのエネルギーに対する制裁への調整 22:15
ええ不明です
22:23そうです、
22:30の時点では問題ないように見えるかもしれないと言うのは非常に簡単ですが、これらすべてのモデルを備えたこれらのエコノミストがいる
ということはわかっています22:43のようなもので
、在宅勤務についての議論を思い出します。これは、パンデミックの後のことです
。
社内のベンチマークがどうであれ、多くの
23:01 上司が企業文化の劣化について話し始め、人々が
自宅で仕事をするのは悪いことだとわかっている 23:07 純粋な数値ベースでは問題ないかもしれませんが、ロングラン
23:12企業文化に打撃を与えることで会社に影響を与えるでしょう 23:19過去1、2年に私たちが見てきたことをもっとコレツキーの考えに結び付けてもらえます
か
彼のアイデアのいくつかが立証されたと思います
23:32うーんそれは彼のアイデアの多くが立証された
23:39実際には多くの企業の力を弱体化させた23:46
特にビジネスで
小売 ホスピタリティ ええと23:58 ええと ええと
ええと この種の活動 ええと ええと 輸送でさえええと
24:21回復の速さ ええと、ロックダウンが解除されたことはご存知でしょう 24:30多く
の企業がその状況を利用して価格を上げ始めたと思います。
彼らは深刻な借金を抱えていた
24:45彼らの政治的立場が弱体化したことに気づいた 彼らは24:50
政府のドアをノックしに行かなければならなかった
25:09 政府は
レイオフ禁止を主張することで対応した
25:17 この種のことにより、企業、特に企業は
25:24 困難な束縛に陥り、多くの企業が解雇されましたで借りることにより、これの
25:31低金利を記録し、
25:39までにその借り入れを回収しようとする 25:39価格を引き上げる 価格を消去する
25:45インフレについての私の説明は、2つあるということです 1つは、あなたが持っているということです
25:53ええこれはご存知のように、エネルギー コストは一時的な現象ですが、
26:00 もう 1 つの現象は、Richard coo が言及したものであり、
26:08 のタイプのバランス シート効果です。
26:17までに価格を上げて債務を清算し、私はそれを行うと思い
ます.26:
23彼らはかなり成功していたと思います.
26:34したがって、あなたが知っているに違いない
26:41雇用は、ええと、財政的に健全であること
を示しているに違いありません 26:48もちろんそうではありません
。労働市場で起きていること 賃金の上昇が遅れている
27:00 値上げがなされていない 組合と労働者は一般的に非常
に弱い27:21不足ですが、組織の面では権力の面で27:28政治的に権力と呼ばれるものと工場はまだ残っています
27:40 残り時間 27:46政治活動家は時々アメリカで27:51 インフレのように
世界中でよく耳にする言葉です:56もちろん日和見主義的な状況があり、バランスシートにとってそれを聞いているようには聞こえません.あなたの視点や大学の視点のように興味があります
28:29それがビジネス慣行であるという事実を道徳化する
28:35可能な価格 ええと あなたのアウトプットのために
ええと
キャパシティ 5月
28:54 特定の状況下 ええと ビジネスは
29:01 ええと 価格を上げないでください ええと
29:06 適度な ええと 貪欲ですが、全体として、ビジネス上の決定は
29:12 で行われることはないと思います 一種の道徳的な問題です市場を最大限に活用しようとする それは
29:18 システムの性質なので 私がいつも聞きたいことの 1 つは、
他のエコノミストの伝記を書いているエコノミストや、彼らの仕事を研究しているエコノミストに、何か分野があるかということです。その中で
29:31あなたはあなたに同意しないか、おそらく彼が間違っていることを知っているか、または29:36おそらくこの
特定の理論を改善または説明することができると思います。ええと29:53 いつ歪曲するか 彼女に特定の例をあげることができればいいのですが30:14失敗のために向かったええと、私はこれはええとええとこれは誤解だったと思いますええと、彼はアメリカの資本主義はそうなると思っていました
30:38資本主義アメリカの多国籍企業は、
アメリカが海外でどのように認識されるかにはるかに敏感であり、アメリカ国内で
のみ営業しているアメリカ企業
多分もっと
知ってる31:24ええと、お金と金融についてもっと書く必要はありません.なぜなら、彼はこのように考えているからです.ええと、ええと、1970年代と言ってください
31:54 株式市場と金融はそれほどひどくはなかった 32:01 重要であり、可能であり、実際には
国の支援に依存していた32:21うーん、もっと取り組む必要があるので、これは 32:27うーん、私の後悔と私の批判に加えて、彼が32:33彼はええと彼だった32:38ええと、彼はそうだったエンジニアであり、彼の時代のタイプの経済学の特徴は32:44 でした 32:44 あなたは32:50 専門職で成功したいのです 32:50 きちんとした数学的モデルを提唱することによって 専門職に就く必要がありました 今彼は知っていました
32:56これだけでは十分では
なかった システムが動作する方法に何らかのルーツ
が必要でしたが彼が方程式を提示したら、
それで十分でし
た
おそらく、ケインが
大金融危機の後にこの 33:32 リバイバルを得たことを知っているように感じます. 人々がこのことのいくつかと格闘している今、カレチケの考えのように感じます. より多くの人々が
彼を発見するでしょう.
33:44 機会をありがとうございました
33:50外国人
ありがとう労働者34:12自律性 労働者の力 34:17別の仕事を見つけるのが本当に簡単になったときに何が起こるか 34:17別の仕事を見つけることができる可能性があると思います 1 つのことのようなものだと思いますが、それは今、非常に重要なアイデアのようです。民間部門の活動が投資のレベルに依存していることは知っていますが、なぜ投資の 34:33 レベルが変化するのでしょうか?消費よりも不安定なのはなぜですか?これは常に出てくる問題です。
34:40oblots については、なぜこれらのビジネス サイクルが存在するのか
34:48潜在的に遅い期間に過剰に反応し、その後、より活発な期間に過剰に反応する可能性があることをあなたが知っているように見えるのは
なぜですか?討論だけどコレツキーの考えを聞いたのは確かに面白かったね
35:00
そのアイデアはケインのように私は35:12Vibes は重要だと思いますが、
少し満足していないようです Vibes よりも容量使用率を選択します
バイブス
35:23経済サイクルの理論を理解したら、次は、なぜバイブが変化するのかという質問に移ります。35:
30キャパシティの使用率について、これらの質問は役に立つと思います。 35:35
鉄道の例 大丈夫です 問題は鉄道を建設し続けることです
35:41 そして 100 本の鉄道が完成し、このような考えはシステムの矛盾のようなものです
35: 46アムトラックの定期的なユーザーのように興味深い私は、すべての鉄道を建設するすべての建設を建設するすべての
鉄道を建設すると言います。
35:57 ビジネス サイクルをスムーズにするための提案で、これは魅力的なものでしたAlloway と私は Jill
36:10weisenthal です。Twitter で私をフォローしてください。私たちのプロデューサーである Carmen Rodriguez を Carmen Armin で、
36:17dash Bennett を dashbot でフォローしてください。Bloomberg ですべてのポッドキャストをチェックしてください。 Odd
36:25Lots のコンテンツは、bloomberg.com にアクセスしてください。ここでは、ブログの書き起こしを見ることができます。毎週金曜日に 36:33 を発行する Weekly Newsletter があります。そこにアクセスしてサインアップして
ください
。
0:00
[Music]
0:09hello and welcome to another episode of the odd Lots podcast I'm Joe weisenthal
0:15and I'm Tracy Alloway Tracy you said something on a recent episode and I don't remember which one it was
0:23um one of our macro ones maybe it was like Neil and Connor or something like that this idea is still that we sort of
0:29talk about like relief at the idea of Labor Market software right it's kind of
0:34perverse first of all thank you so much for listening to what I say I really appreciate that secondly I think what I
0:40said is it feels really weird that you have a central bank specifically the Federal Reserve that is saying basically
0:48that they want to push the unemployment rate up yeah insignificantly right so we're at uh around three and a half
0:54percent unemployment right now 50 or low which sounds great that seems
1:00unambiguously good and especially you know after coming after years of slow labor market growth
1:07um some of the fears during the worst of the covet pandemic about how how much unemployment there is and yet here we
1:13are and it's almost always talked about as a problem to be solved rather than an opportunity to be embraced yeah uh
1:21there's always concern that you're running an economy too hot if employment gets too low but then that just brings
1:27up all these really big picture questions about well what is the economy for anyway shouldn't we be aiming for a
1:35system that kind of works for everyone where you know hopefully the unemployment rate is very very low but I
1:42guess the risk is and the concern is that you don't want to run it in such a way that it starts pushing up prices and
1:48you get this unrelenting inflation right and inflation is bad it hurts people and people don't like it but nonetheless I
1:54think people find it strange that the central bank is part of what they see is an outcome of optimal monetary policy
2:01would put so many you know at least another million and a half people out of work they find it strange when weak
2:07labor market data uh often leads to a stock market rally right the whole bad
2:12news is good news what and you know you'd think like okay a lot of people have jobs that means a
2:18lot of spending corporate profits really high like you think these are like good things and yet at some level it's like all of
2:25this is bad and I don't and I think like we shouldn't just jump away from that like we shouldn't sort of move on and of
2:32course there's room to discuss soft Landings and all that but some of these root questions I think are still worth thinking about like why do investors
2:39hate uh full employment yeah yeah exactly right so I'm really excited about our guests so one of the um uh one
2:45of the economists from the the old days that people sometimes talk about when they talk about the political economy of
2:52Full Employment or maximum employment an economist named Mikhail koletski
2:58um has talked about this his work uh uh comes up every once in a while so we're going to be speaking to an economist who
3:04himself has studied a lot of uh koletski's work and has done his own work on a lot of these questions you're
3:10trying to understand a little bit more about this like tension that full employment full employment brings we're
3:15going to be speaking to a Jan taporovsky a professor at sewage University in uh
3:21London and uh so uh Professor toporovsky thank you so much for coming on odd Lots thank you very much for inviting me why
3:28don't you tell us a little bit about your what your your work and your research and sort of like what uh what
3:34drove you to sort of focus on some of these topics what I came into uh uh this
3:40kind of work I actually came across uh kaletsky when um uh when I was when I first came to
3:49study economics now at the time when I actually didn't do my undergraduate studies in economics it was more uh in
3:57sociology and political science and what the first job that I got was in
4:03fund management uh for uh the Church of England for an institution called the
4:08Augustus institutional the church Commissioners for England and because uh I had had I had done one uh course in
4:18introductory economics they thought oh well he knows something about it and they put me into the district exchange
4:24Investments department now this was in 1974 uh you're you're obviously too
4:32young to remember uh what happened around 1974 but there was an oil price
4:40shock which in England was a rapidly followed by a a collapse in a real
4:50estate market a collapse on the in the stock market a
4:56couple of Brokers brokerage houses went bust uh Banks started some uh some of
5:04the mark Fringe Banks uh went bust a major Bank uh tottered the bank of
5:13England had to call in uh the senior city of London figures to try and Shore
5:19up the position uh and uh I know for me you know as a as
5:26a new Commodore this I thought this was uh tremendously exciting but and I thought well I need to find out more
5:32about it I need to study economics so I went uh I registered a book back uh
5:39College part of the University of London uh for an MSC in economics
5:45and I was actually greatly disappointed because all my professors would stand up
5:50and say look we have this General equilibrium model of the economy am I uh
5:57my my senior Professor the senior Professor there uh a very distinguished
6:02uh uh American British Economist I remember standing in class and saying uh
6:10look the economy out there it's an equilibrium we know it's in equilibrium you know the models say so
6:17and I remember sitting there thinking I don't know what world this man lives
6:23in you know what he was saying had you know had no bearing uh showed no
6:28understanding of what was really going on I remember going down into the library and flicking through some books
6:35and coming across uh a Polish name here and I thought oh I wonder what what he
6:41has to say about this I didn't realize that there was there were any distinguished polish economists so I
6:49started reading the book and but it was his early essays on the
6:55business side for land suddenly it all made sense and it's continued to make sense uh
7:03since then uh albeit I think I take a rather different view to many uh followers of of mihal palitsky in the
7:10sense that I'm uh I have this background in in in banking and finance side
7:19this has always been my approach to uh the work of caletsky so I think your
7:25your question issues that you're raising are are you know absolutely fundamental
7:31to my understanding of kaletsky and I wish they were more fundamental to the
7:36understanding of uh uh many uh many of
7:41my friends and colleagues who uh you know follow kaletsky well Jan talk to us
7:47then about what it was that you read that made sense to you and I'm particularly interested in the
7:53relationship between the business cycle and you know theoretical equilibrium
7:59levels and full employment as as you kind of just alluded to
8:04the general equilibrium approach is essentially a static
8:10approach uh it it it tells you um
8:16what situation will arise where there will be no further change and this actually doesn't happen in the
8:25real world uh what you have in the in in the real world uh is a constant state of
8:33flux and this is uh why kalitzki's approach uh to economics focusing on on
8:43on a business cycle uh I I think it's really much more satisfying than uh
8:51within the approach for example if Keynes in the general theory uh which is which was essentially a static approach
8:59to a problem that is fundamentally Dynamic so why don't you explain because
9:05when I think of you know Cain's also wrestled with these topics of why don't why doesn't a market economy on its own
9:13create full employment why is investment inadequate in typical times why do we
9:18tend to these periods of stagnation how did kolechi differ from Keynes on these
9:23questions let me start off with what he agreed with Kane's on and uh uh he he agreed
9:33with Keynes that capitalism is fundamentally uh
9:38A system that in which the level of output the overall
9:44level of output and the overall level of employment is determined by uh the level
9:51of investment the level of business investment now obviously in the in the post-war
9:57post-second World War economy uh the government also has uh government
10:03spending also has a lot to do with it but fundamentally the in in the the
10:09private sector uh the level of activity in the private sector is really determined by the level of investment
10:16and the the the the the the question is what causes that level of investment to
10:22be unstable much much more unstable uh than for example consumption uh
10:29and the uh this this was an answer that in many
10:35respects tormented color to keep throughout uh his life he he would put
10:40forward various models and then reflect on them
10:45and decide that no uh they that they were wrong
10:51um Kane's kind sort of tried to cover up uh
10:56this uh Problem by saying oh what it was it's all due to Animal Spirits uh it's
11:03all due to uncertainty the and the the problem with this is that uh you know
11:09uncertainty and um an animal spirits are not
11:16um measurable in the same way that for example steel production is measurable
11:22it's really pushing the solution onto
11:27what cannot be seen and and cannot be observed and kalitski klitsky's
11:35background was as an uh engineer and he found this uh deeply on uh uh deeply
11:42unsatisfactory tried to uh resolve it uh certainly he thought that uh the rate of
11:49interest didn't have uh um much impact
11:55he a businessman he thought were you know on on the whole Much More Much More
12:02cynical much more hard bitten than to be influenced by let's say ephemeral moods
12:09uh and uh and temperament in fact the way in which corporations
12:16are constructed that the hierarchical bureaucratic way in which uh business
12:21corporations are constructed is is really uh in order to eliminate uh
12:30the effect of you know passions and biases on uh issues like investment
12:39um in the end what what kletzky thought was uh really most important
12:45was the issue of uh capacity utilization uh businesses will uh invest if they're
12:57if they've got customers that cannot be satisfied from existing production uh uh
13:05even at full capacity uh and what they will then do is
13:10if let's say if the restaurant is full and there's still customers at the door
13:16then the restaurant owner will invest in more tables uh uh more uh uh you know
13:25expand his premises so and he then explained it interestingly enough in a in the form of a very nice Parable he
13:33said you know in a in uh in the United States there are cities uh uh which are
13:42joined by more than one Railway line and the effect of their com if you have if
13:48they're both operating at less than full capacity uh the effects of competition between
13:54them will be that eventually one of those railway lines will uh go out of
14:01business and you'll end up in a situation with much less capacity uh and
14:08uh actually much less employment much uh much much less output so what is the
14:16answer to this problem of underutilization of capacity in any
14:22third Railway hey I built a third rally exactly you've read the article
14:29it's a lovely Parable and then uh and of course the the the first two railway
14:35lines will be busy ferrying all the the workers and the steel and uh uh required
14:42to uh for building the third Railway line then of course you've now got three railway lines at the end of this year
14:48you now have three railway lines uh what do you do then these and and so he said
14:53well the answer is you build a fourth Railway line and yeah and he said well you know all
15:01this sounds paradoxical and uh but he said whether it's the system that's
15:06paradoxical uh and the reason why it's paradoxical is it's a system that
15:12depends on the level of investment and what's critical about the level of
15:18investment is that it's the level of investment that according to kalitsky but also Keynes uh
15:26determines how much profits businesses will make businesses invest a lot they will make a
15:34lot of a a in in profits uh if they don't invest so much then
15:42it's uh it doesn't uh uh you you you you
15:47you have this problem of uh excess capacity uh discouraging economic
15:55activity to discouraging investment so my understanding of Keynes is that
16:01you know Cain's also wrote a lot about the business cycle and believed that the
16:06business cycle could be managed in one way or another through monetary policy or or smoothed in some way what is
16:13koletsky say about managing the business Cycles or investment given its
16:20importance in the cycle well koletsky thought that managing uh the economy by
16:26trying to influence the level of investment um it's really a a Fool's game because
16:33you uh for example you may lower the rate of interest or lower the rate of
16:38Taxation uh you know give additional tax allowances and uh then you find that
16:46okay business takes uh uh takes up a certain amount of investment does some
16:53investment and then requires further tax cuts further uh uh Cuts in the rate of
17:01interest in order to to invest further and it it it really
17:09um it really doesn't make sense it doesn't make didn't make sense for kalitsky because the purpose of
17:15investment uh shouldn't be uh to maintain full employment there are other
17:21instruments for doing this uh the uh the purpose of investment should be to
17:27provide the capacity for the amount of consumption that is required uh in in in
17:34in the economy you know that's that's how a rational uh economy would operate
17:41so this again was a small difference between uh Keynes and kolitsky Keynes wanted uh
17:48investment to be uh the leader uh kalitsky argued that in fact you can uh
17:57create the equivalent of of an investment boom through fiscal stimulus
18:02it has the same effect of expanding profits
18:08and in particular using the fiscal stimulus to provide additional public goods and public
18:14services which would be provided free so this gets around the problem of uh of
18:20raising wages you can increase real wages by providing a free public goods
18:28and then of course the other way is to redistribute income from uh higher
18:36incomes to lower incomes Again by by various transfer payments so so to bring
18:42it up to today and I don't know if we have full employment because I'm not even I'm not even sure what that means
18:48but we have very low unemployment the lowest in 50 years
18:53um some might say okay that's close to Full Employment but that's a separate debate but people there's like there's
19:01there's uh there's it's almost like there's like these white blood cells of the economy there's like the FED is coming in it wants to raise rates it
19:07talks about how the optimal situation would be at least a one percent increase one and a half million people laid off
19:13you have investors who get sort of a sense of relief every time the labor market data comes in Weak why is there
19:20this discomfort in a state of the economy which on paper you'd think lots
19:25of spending good lots of reason to invest do capex good that's everyone's investment into someone else's income
19:32why is there this sort of like Rebellion against that?
19:47uh political aspects of Full Employment which I would recommend to anyone who doesn't know much uh kalitsky very very
19:55easy to read not a single equation um
20:00good uh he argued there that you know there's no doubt that full employment is
20:08is more rational for the system as a whole it's more rational uh profits are
20:13higher employment is higher uh everything is better if you have full
20:19employment however uh full employment strikes at uh the heart of another
20:28feature of capitalism which is the question of Labor discipline uh if you
20:35have a state of Full Employment then uh it's very it becomes difficult to
20:42discipline workers uh in the factory uh or in the office uh if uh if a worker
20:50can leave uh his or her a place of employment and immediately
20:57get another one uh then um where is the labor discipline it's
21:02about control it's it's really about the control of Labor and kalitsky argued that in in
21:10what what would tend to happen is that in a state of um full employment you would get uh uh a
21:20political Coalition uh put together by
21:25uh major employers uh uh the people in
21:31finance uh Central Bank uh uh uh Central Bankers all of whom would argue that the
21:39situation is somehow manifestly unsound uh it were unsound in what way well
21:47inflation and sure enough you know we we have had uh inflation but we also know
21:55at the moment that uh inflation is coming down quite rapidly uh as well
22:01because so much of the current inflation was simply a a an energy Market
22:07adjustment to sanctions on uh on Russian energy uh
22:15uh so it it it's a kind of uh future inflation because the future is unknown
22:23right it's very very easy to to say oh well you know things may appear okay at the
22:30moment but uh we know we have these these and these economists with all these models
22:37showing that there's some terrifying inflation around them this kind kind of
22:43reminds me of the debate over work from home which is you know post pandemic
22:50um people started working from home and there didn't seem to be much of a hit on
22:55productivity and a lot of companies still met whatever their internal benchmarks are so then you had a lot of
23:01bosses who started talking about a degradation of corporate culture and how you know it's bad people are working
23:07from home they might be doing okay on a pure numbers basis but in the long run
23:12it's going to impact the company by hitting culture uh yeah can you maybe connect more of what we've seen over the
23:19past year or two to koletsky's ideas do you think the post-pandemic maybe shift
23:26towards worker power has Vindicated some of his ideas I think it has
23:32um it's it's Vindicated um a a lot of his ideas because it's
23:39actually weakened the um the the the power of many businesses
23:46who uh particularly businesses in uh uh
23:52in activities uh retail Hospitality uh
23:58uh these kind of uh uh these kinds of activities which uh uh transport even uh
24:05which uh just saw their their markets uh shrinking uh uh shrinking quite
24:15drastically the the what then happened however was that the
24:21speed of the recovery uh as uh a you know lockdown was removed uh I think a
24:30lot of those businesses took advantage of that situation to start raising their price and my view is that they were
24:38raising their prices because many of them had got uh seriously into debt many
24:45of them had got had found their political uh position weakened they'd
24:50had to go knocking at the door of uh uh of governments uh asking for loans uh
25:00asking for uh tax rebates various other uh uh uh uh uh you know public subsidies
25:09governments had responded by insisting on uh on no layoffs
25:17this kind of thing put uh companies particularly corporations into
25:24a difficult bind uh and the uh a lot of them got out of this by borrowing at
25:31record low uh rates of interest and then uh seeking to recover that borrowing by
25:39raising uh uh erasing their prices so you have
25:45my uh my explanation of the inflation is is would be twofold one is that you have
25:53uh this uh you know energy costs uh which is a temporary phenomenon but the
26:00other one is uh really the uh uh what Richard coo uh referred to as it is a is
26:08a type of balance sheet effect uh where uh firms are trying to clear off debt by
26:17uh by raising prices and I think doing it uh uh they were doing quite
26:23successfully but that then feeds into a narrative that the
26:29um uh that all this is uh the consequence of Full Employment and
26:34therefore uh you know must be it must show that the the state of Full
26:41Employment uh is uh is financially on sound
26:48it isn't of course because the the inflation has very little to do with uh
26:54with what's happening in the labor market uh wage increases have lagged a
27:00lacked price increases unions and workers in general have a
27:09much weak uh have a much weaker position in the labor market
27:15um to some degree actually individual workers are benefiting from labor
27:21shortages but in terms of organization in terms of power in in
27:28what politically called the power and the factories uh work as a still remain
27:34weak because worker worker organizations uh are weak so we just have a couple
27:40minutes left but I just wanna on the inflation question a term that you hear
27:46political activists sometimes in the U.S probably around the world like greed
27:51inflation and I'm curious whether you think that's a useful frame it kind of
27:56doesn't sound like it listening that of course there are opportunistic situations and that for balance sheet
28:03reasons corporations feel the impulse to uh to raise prices but like greed kind
28:09of seems like one of these things that's kind of immeasurable I'm curious like in your perspective or college perspective
28:17like is that a useful analytical mode especially I wouldn't use the word uh uh
28:23the term greed because it seems to me a a kind of uh
28:29moralizing the fact that it's uh it's business practice to get the best
28:35possible price uh for for your output uh
28:40I think there is a there is a sense in which if you have
28:45excess capacity uh um the uh excess capacity May under
28:54certain circumstances um course a business to
29:01um not to raise prices uh you know to to to
29:06moderate uh greed but on the whole I think business decisions are not made on
29:12a kind of moral issue you try to get the best out of the market that's uh it's
29:18it's the nature of the system so one thing that I always like to ask economists who have written biographies
29:26of other economists or who have studied their work is is there any area in which
29:31you disagree with you or think that maybe you know maybe he got it wrong or
29:36maybe this particular Theory could be improved or expounded upon yes I think
29:41actually he uh well he I think his political judgment
29:47uh sometimes was uh uh
29:53when when to skew I mean if I can give her a particular
30:01example from you know from the United States he thought that uh the the
30:07student movement against uh the Vietnam War uh were uh uh you know it was headed
30:14for for failure uh and I I think this was uh uh uh this was a
30:23misjudgment uh he thought that uh American uh capitalism would uh it would
30:32be divided uh between uh the international
30:38uh capitalism American multinationals would be much more
30:43sensitive to the way in which America is perceived uh abroad and uh uh the uh and
30:53domestic uh American businesses that are only
30:58operating within the United States uh who would be you know maybe much more uh
31:04bullish I'm not sure that this is a a distinction that uh that that works uh
31:11quite well uh in in in in the United States
31:17um I think I wished he uh I regret that he didn't uh write more about money uh
31:24uh and finance because I think he um in in this way he
31:32um it's it's too easy to dismiss his ideas as being characteristic of the the long
31:42period between 1929 and uh uh let's say uh the the 1970s when uh
31:54you know really the stock market and finance uh were not uh terribly uh
32:01important uh and could uh and were in effect dependent on on state support
32:09um I think that they uh the situation now uh
32:15it's rather it's rather different and uh really needs
32:21um needs more working on so I think this would be
32:27um kind of my my regret and and my criticism plus the fact that I think he
32:33he's um he was a um
32:38uh he was an engineer and a feature of the type of Economics of his time was
32:44that you had to uh uh you you want success in uh
32:50profession by uh putting forward in that a neat mathematical model now he knew
32:56that this was uh this wasn't enough you had to have some kind of roots in the
33:02way in which uh the system operated but uh you know
33:09he he he tended to believe that once
33:14he'd uh once he'd put forward the equation then uh that was enough
33:20uh and I don't think it was Jan taparovsky I'm afraid we're out of time but that was a fantastic really
33:27appreciate you coming on and I feel like perhaps you know Kane sort of got this
33:32revival after the great financial crisis and it feels like with kalechke's thoughts right now as people wrestle
33:38with some of this thing more people are going to be discovering him so appreciate you coming on odd Lots thank you thank you very much for this
33:44opportunity
33:50thank you foreign
33:56[Music] Tracy I really enjoy that it does feel
34:01like um well I mean there's a lot there the political aspects of I the question
34:07you brought about working from home the sort of rebellion against worker
34:12autonomy worker power what happens when it's really easy potentially to find
34:17another job I think it's like for one thing that's like a pretty important idea right now oh absolutely I also thought the question of why so if you
34:25argue that you know private sector activity is dependent on the level of investment but then why why does the
34:33level of investment change why is it more unstable that than consumption that is a question that comes up all the time
34:40here on oblots right like why do these business Cycles exist why do firms seem to you know potentially overreact to
34:48slow periods and then overreact to um more active periods I I don't know
34:53like it I think it's still open to debate but it was definitely interesting to hear koletsky's ideas on that yeah and this
35:00idea that like and you know um Kane's like um as
35:05um John pointed out like animal spirit uncertainty like these are like it's like Vibes you know right and there is I
35:12think Vibes are important but also like they're a little bit unsatisfied you choose capacity utilization over Vibes
35:17yeah yeah I mean why do Vibes change right that's like if you're if you sort of like lean too heavily into the Vibes
35:23theory of economic Cycles then you have to then you're just moved on to the question of like well why do Vibes change and so some of these questions
35:30about like capacity utilization I do think they're helpful I love like I love
35:35the railroad example of like okay the problem is just keep building railroads which you will maintain like full demand
35:41then you end up with 100 railroads and this idea like this is the sort of like contradiction of the system is very
35:46interesting like as a regular user of Amtrak I say build all the railroads build all the build them all no I am
35:52open to any and every possible bull explanation or I should say policy
35:57suggestion for smoothing business cycles and this was a fascinating one absolutely all right shall we leave it there let's leave it there this has been
36:04another episode of the all Bots podcast I'm Tracy Alloway you can follow me on Twitter at Tracy Alloway and I'm Jill
36:10weisenthal you can follow me on Twitter at the stalwart follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at Carmen Armin and
36:17dash Bennett at dashbot and check out all of our podcasts at Bloomberg under the handle at podcasts and for more Odd
36:25Lots content go to bloomberg.com Odd Lots where you can see the transcripts we blog we have a Weekly Newsletter that
36:33comes out every Friday go there and sign up thanks for listening [Music]
36:51thank you [Music]



0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿