2023年3月11日土曜日

2023/03/11 Stephanie Keltonさんのツイート bloomberg

2023/03/11 Stephanie Keltonさんのツイート bloomberg


ブラインダーレポート
ケルトンレンズ



ーーー





JOBS REPORT SENDS MIXED SIGNALS FOR FED




C:

A mixed report to say the least. How are you reading it and looking ahead to CPI next week and thinking about all of it and what it means for the Federal Reserves rate decision this month. 

k:

Yeah, I think the headline number caught some people by surprise, right? It came in hotter than expected. But I think if you look at the report on balance, this is a disinflationary print. I mean, we saw lots of people come back into the labor market. This is exactly what the FED has wanted to see in terms of Labor Force participation. So we got a big jump in labor force participation 419,000 people came back in workers are taking jobs in sectors that it's been hard to fill jobs in so Health Care Child Care Social Services K through 12. People are taking those jobs in the good news is from the fed's perspective. Anyway, they're not asking for a whole lot of money to take those jobs. So I think on balance this is a really nice kind of a sweet spot report. But as you said what the FED is really going to be king in on is that next inflation print? 



 C:

 So is it going to be the data Tuesday that ultimately makes the decision between 25 and 50 or is one more appropriate no matter what the data says on Tuesday in your view.

K: 1:20

 I think they're going to look at everything. They're they're definitely going to take a hard. Look at this report. They're going to clearly pay close attention to inflation. We all know that Jerome Powell has been particularly interested in that core Services X housing components. So we're gonna have to see what happens there. And then of course, we've got, you know, something happening in financial markets. This probably got the feds. It's something well it is the totality of what's going on across the economy and the FED is is surely looking at all of it.


C:

 I think the real worry here all is the lagged effects of the tightening here to the extent that you see more pain whether it's in the labor market or elsewhere in the economy. What are the risks that you're looking for? Is this tightening continues?

K: 2:07

 That's a really important point.

 and you know, we used to hear Powell and other you know, fed officials talk about long invariable lags and somehow that's sort of seems to have been lost in recent months. and I hope very much that we don't forget about that because you know, Alan Blind or people probably remember former Vice chair the Federal Reserve under Allen Greenspan had a op-ed recently back in January the Wall Street Journal. and he made this exact point, you know, he's saying, how is it possible that we've had inflation stepping down every month. So the last half of last year we were in this inflation. We are in disinflation and blinders peace was all about, you know, it's not because of the rate hikes. The rate hikes really have yet to be felt that most of the disinflation that we've been experiencing has been related to supply chains working themselves out and so on. So his point was there is a lot of tightening already. Leaked in and it has yet to really hit. So I think that's a really important point to keep in mind. 

C:

Well another thing to think about I think too, you know, we were looking for economic data and certainly that is the the key here. But you know, hypothetically how does a bank failure play into the fed's decision making here when they're thinking about the pace of rate hikes if you're seeing such a large Bank fail in the United States. Does that concern you in terms of how much and how far you might want to go in the near term? 



STOCKS DROP MOST THIS WEEK IN 2023


K:3:38

Well, it does I've written quite a lot over the last I don't know eight ten months or so, especially since the FED got the rate hikes going really in Earnest with multiple 75 basis point hikes and I started writing about my concerns about pushing things too hard and breaking something. It's in particular, you know, we talked about Emerging Markets, but also in financial markets, it's very easy to to get rate hikes. 




 so High right to accelerate the pace of rate hikes and to end up months later after it's far too late realizing that you've broken something. You just didn't realize it was broken until it was too late. 


C2:

Yeah, so it just raises the question of How High ultimately the cost of borrowing is going to be and what it might mean longer term for the US economy considering the United States as we know is heavily indebted the debt ceiling conversation and budget conversation also alive and well this week if you can believe it it was only yesterday that we got that outline of President Biden's proposed budget, 

even though it kind of feels like it was a year ago given that you are an expert on Modern monetary Theory. 

 Can you just give us your analysis of what we heard from the white house yesterday and how realistic you think some of that is to actually become law. 

K:4:54

Well, I can harken back to my days in the Senate. I was the chief Economist for the Democrats on the US Senate budget committee for a period of time and I remember the day that President Obama released one of his budgets and I was there in the committee room with an armful. I think three volumes of of the budget and Republicans for in control of the Senate at the time and I'm Distributing copies of this thing and everybody in the room knew that it was basically Dead or Alive. you go through all the work and you produce the thing and you know that it's essentially not going to go anywhere.

 you mentioned earlier, you know, the fed and asked how much the Federal Reserve is paying attention to what's going on in financial Market, you know, Jerome Powell got the question the other day about the extent. 

C:

Yeah.

K:

 which the rights are increasing interest on the dead and accelerating that point at which you know, we run out of Extraordinary Measures to continue making payments and his answer was well, we don't really think about that. We're just focused on monetary policy. So I I I think it's worth thinking about.

C:

 but really quickly here. Also, I mean, it's a different era now in Washington than when you were there as well. I mean, do you think that kind of a hard-hitting negotiation is still the right tactic given the anxieties around the budget and the debt ceiling? 

K:6:11

No. I think there should be no negotiation around the debt ceiling. The last thing that financial markets need right now clearly is more uncertainty with respect to us treasuries. We've just seen a new talked about it or they talked about it at the end of the last segment. We've just seen the biggest two-day rally in two year treasuries since Black Friday in 1989. They investors are trying to move into treasuries. This is a safe haven. And the last thing in the world we need right now is to be playing around with the full faith and credit of the United States of America. 


C: 

Stephanie Kelton, thank you so much for your time. That is the professor of economics and public policy at Stony Brook University. We appreciate it still ahead. We're turning back to the top story of the day the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank Stephen Kelly from the program.


C:

控えめに言っても、複雑なレポートです。来週のCPIを前にして、今月の連邦準備制度理事会(FRB)の金利決定がどのような意味を持つのか、そのすべてについて考えています。

k:

ええ、見出しの数字に驚かれた方もいらっしゃるのではないでしょうか?予想以上に暑い結果となりました。しかし、この報告書をバランスよく見れば、これはディスインフレの印刷物だと思います。つまり、多くの人々が労働市場に戻ってきたのです。これは、労働力人口の増加という点で、FEDが望んでいたことです。41万9000人が労働力として戻ってきたわけですが、これは、医療、保育、福祉、幼稚園から高校までの学校教育など、これまで雇用を確保するのが難しかった分野の仕事に就いた人たちです。連邦政府の立場からすると、このような仕事に就いているのは良いニュースです。とにかく、彼らはその仕事を得るために多額の資金を要求しているわけではないのです。ですから、バランス的には、これは本当に素晴らしい、スイートスポットのようなレポートだと思います。しかし、あなたが言ったように、FEDが本当に注目するのは、次のインフレ指標なのでしょうか?




 C:

 では、25と50のどちらを選ぶかは、最終的には火曜日のデータで決まるのでしょうか、それとも火曜日のデータがどうであれ、どちらかがより適切なのでしょうか、あなたの見解では。

K:1:20

  彼らはすべてを見ようとしていると思います。彼らは間違いなく、厳しい目で見るでしょう。この報告書を見てください。インフレ率に細心の注意を払うことは間違いないでしょう。ジェローム・パウエルが特にコア・サービスX住宅指数に関心を寄せていることは周知の通りです。そこで何が起こるか見てみる必要がありそうです。そしてもちろん、金融市場で何かが起こっていることも知っています。これはおそらく連邦政府を巻き込んだものでしょう。これは、経済全体で起こっていることの全体像であり、FEDはそのすべてに目を向けているはずです。


C:

 ここで心配なのは、引き締めの遅効性で、労働市場や経済の他の場所で、より多くの痛みが見られることだと思うのです。どのようなリスクがあるのでしょうか?この引き締めは続くのでしょうか?

K:2:07
それは重要な点です。
 パウエルや他の連邦準備制度理事会の高官たちが、長い不変のラグについて話しているのをよく耳にしましたが、ここ数ヶ月はそれが失われているような気がします。昨年の後半はインフレが進行していました。そのため、昨年後半はディスインフレに陥り、目隠し平和は、「利上げのせいではない」と言い切っていました。利上げはまだ実感がなく、ディスインフレのほとんどは、サプライチェーンがうまく機能していることなどに関連しているのです。つまり、彼の言いたいことは、すでに多くの引き締めが行われているということです。しかし、まだ本格的な引き締めには至っていません。ですから、この点は本当に重要なポイントだと思います。

C:

もうひとつ、私たちは経済データを求めていますし、確かにそれが重要です。しかし、仮に、米国でこれほど大規模な銀行が破綻した場合、利上げのペースについて考える際に、銀行の破綻がFRBの意思決定にどのように関わってくるのでしょうか。近い将来、どの程度、どの程度まで引き上げたいかという点で、懸念はありますか?




K:3:38

特に、FEDが75ベーシスポイントの利上げを何度も行って本格的に利上げを始めてから、私は物事を押し進めすぎて何かを壊してしまうことへの懸念について書き始めたんです。特に、新興国市場の話をしましたが、金融市場でも、利上げを行うのは非常に簡単です。



 利上げのペースを加速させるのは非常に正しいのですが、数ヶ月後に何かを壊してしまったことに気づくのは、あまりにも遅いのです。手遅れになるまで、それが壊れていることに気づかなかっただけです。 



C2:

米国が多額の負債を抱えていることを考えると、債務上限の話や予算の話は今週も健在で、バイデン大統領の予算案の概要が発表されたのは、信じられないかもしれませんが、つい昨日のことです。

あなたは現代通貨理論の専門家ですから、1年前のことのように感じられるかもしれませんが。

 昨日、ホワイトハウスから発表された内容をどのように分析されたのか、また、その一部が実際に法律として成立することがどの程度現実的だとお考えなのか、お聞かせいただけますでしょうか。


K:4:54

さて、私は上院にいたころのことを思い出すことができます。私は一時期、アメリカ上院の予算委員会で民主党のチーフエコノミストを務めていましたが、オバマ大統領がある予算を発表した日のことを憶えています。当時は共和党が上院を牛耳っていたので、私はこの予算書のコピーを配布していたのですが、部屋にいた誰もが、この予算書が基本的に生きるか死ぬかであることを知っていました。すべての作業を経てものを作成しても、それが本質的にどこにも行かないということを知っているのです。

 先ほど、連邦準備制度理事会について触れましたが、連邦準備制度理事会は金融市場で起こっていることにどの程度注意を払っているのか、という質問がありましたね。

C:

そうですね。

K:

 パウエルは先日、金融市場で起きていることにどの程度注目しているかという質問を受けました。私たちはただ金融政策に集中しているのです。だから私は、考える価値があると思います。


C:

 しかし、ここは本当に早く。また、つまり、今のワシントンはあなたがいた頃とは違う時代なのです。つまり、予算や債務上限をめぐる不安を考えると、あのような強硬な交渉は今でも正しい戦術だと思いますか?


6:11
K:

いいえ、債務上限に関する交渉はすべきではないと思います。今、金融市場に必要なのは、明らかに国債に関する不確実性の増大です。私たちは、このことについて新しい話を見たばかりですが、あるいは、前のセグメントの終わりで、このことについて話していました。年物の国債は、1989年のブラックフライデー以来、2日間で最大の上昇を見せたところです。投資家は国債を買おうとしているのです。これは安全な避難場所なのです。そして、今、世界で一番必要なことは、アメリカの信用と信頼を全うすることなのです。

C:

ステファニー・ケルトンさん、お時間をいただき、ありがとうございました。ストーニーブルック大学の経済学と公共政策の教授です。まだ先になりますが、よろしくお願いします。それでは、今日のトップニュース、シリコンバレー銀行の破綻について、番組からスティーブン・ケリーに話を戻します。

 

 

 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿