https://www.torrens.edu.au/courses/business/economics
0:01good morning everybody and thanks for joining us or good evening if you're in uh the us or anywhere else in the world
0:09good day good evening good night glad to see you joining us um it's fantastic to have such a big group of people my
0:16name's Gabby um I'm uh the CEO of modern money lab I'm here with Steven hail and
0:22Stephanie Kelton for this talk in our economics of sustainability 2024 lecture
0:27series and we'd love to thank thank thank Stephanie for giving us her time to to um talk to us today about finding
0:34the money um which is a really important um thing that we um that we all need to
0:40know about and also the title of a new movie which is coming up a documentary featuring Stephanie which we'll get into
0:46a bit later um just before we start the the session I'd like to acknowledge that
0:51um in Adelaide we are living and working on the land of the Garner people of the Adelaide Plains I'd like to acknowledge
0:58that this land was never seated and we pay our respects to Elders past and present and I'm going to hand over to
1:04Steven now a very warm welcome to everyone um
1:10especially if you're joining us live from somewhere where it's very late at night or early um in the morning it's a
1:18great pleasure to see um so many people in on the list of names I can see a lot of names that are familiar to me and a
1:24lot of names that aren't so um thank you all for coming before welcoming our guests I I'd like to say that this
1:31series of interviews and talks has been organized by modern money lab modern money lab is a registered charity
1:38headquartered in Adelaide South Australia and we where Gabby and I are sitting which we set up for about three
1:46years ago now mainly to answer the question where can I study modern monetary Theory and ecological economics
1:54we wrote a graduate certificate graduate diploma and master's degree so that for the first time Wherever You Are in the
2:00world there's an answer to this question and we were lucky enough to find a university that was prepared to partner
2:05with us to offer these courses we'll be starting our fifth trimester in February
2:11and we'd love it if you could join us on The Graduate certificate to empower yourself to debate economic issues with
2:18anyone or on the full Masters to train as a professional Economist Stephanie needs no
2:25introduction really she's a professor of public policy at Stony Brook University
2:32author of the best-selling book the deficit myth a former Chief Economist on the US Senate committee on the budget
2:39and I mustn't forget to add also an honorary or Adjunct professor at our partner torren University Australia
2:46among many other things and so I just like to say welcome Stephanie very nice to be with all of
2:54you um let's start with the movie since Gabby just mentioned it finding the money
3:00which I hope wherever people are in the world they'll get to see at some point this year and which we're touring with
3:07the director Mar and pess around Southeastern Australia in in March how
3:13did the movie come about well this is uh Marin's uh idea
3:21you know she she sort of took an interest and she she can give you uh
3:27obviously a better answer than I can because she will know you know what inspired her to seek us out and to find
3:36the connections that she found between the work that many of us were doing as
3:42economists uh specifically within the mmt uh macro framework and her own
3:50interest in the environment and sustainability and so you know we were
3:56doing work and I think it it goes all the way back to really the the very earliest stages of mmt with people like
4:04Matthew forat who was a colleague of mine at the University of Missouri in
4:09Kansas City where I taught for 17 years and uh Matt was always doing work in
4:17this space I mean environmental I think he used to teach and probably still does
4:22courses like environmental economics so there were at least some mmt economists
4:27from the very beginning who whose Work Incorporated uh these sorts of questions
4:34around climate and sustainability um I don't remember to be
4:39honest when I first had a conversation with muren I know that she a long time
4:46ago though isn't it it was years ago this this film is is many many years in
4:51the making and I think that uh and again she could correct me if I if I get this
4:57wrong but I as I remember it her original idea was to to do a film that
5:05was a bit different from what she ended up doing I I think uh I was giving a
5:11talk many of us were at uh Harvard University and there's a group here of
5:18activists and they call themselves the sunrise movement and someone organized a
5:23conference up at Harvard and brought many scholars and and activists legal
5:29Scholars economists historians and others together I remember her being there and
5:35filming uh and after a period of time I
5:40guess the movie started to take shape the story started to take shape in her mind and it became one that sort of
5:49centered my intellectual Journey as one of a number of economists who um had
5:56contributed to the scholarly literature around mmt and she said look I think this is
6:03sort of the missing ingredient in in the climate um fight I mean it is a fight of
6:10for our lives and a fight of our lives and she saw the work we were doing as
6:16integral and as useful to that movement and I think the film is her uh effort to
6:22bring the story together so that when we you know hear people talk about how much
6:29money is going to cost to tackle the imminent you know challenge that we're
6:35facing with respect to climate breakdown uh how will you pay for it and Marin wanted to use that as I
6:42think an entry point to say this is the wrong question and you know I I laid
6:48this out at Harvard that in fact finding the money is the easiest part of the whole challenge it's everything else
6:55that's really hard uh that's going to require a lot of thoughtful uh hard work on our part but finding the money is the
7:02easy part and I think that's the the story she wanted to present that's a great answer someone
7:09asked me yesterday in a meeting actually somebody who's who's here the to to summarize the movie in 60 seconds and I
7:16had to go but I didn't do it that well um it's very difficult to do so because it covers so much
7:23ground actually I think I started and still talking five minutes late and but it's a great movie but just
7:30before moving on from the movie if you are in South Australia and you haven't booked to come and see it yet then um
7:38please do I I was I knew it was going to be good before I saw it for the first
7:44time but it was much better than I expected it to be it's a great achievement of mar and putting the movie
7:50you know Stephen she put it together so beautifully and one of the things that that the film really does is it is an
7:58indictment of modern mainstream economics I mean that that is a a very
8:04big part of what it is that she's attempted to do in this film is to reveal uh how much they get wrong and
8:13what the costs are for all of us if we continue down this path of asking the
8:20wrong questions and then answering them incorrectly on top of that and uh and
8:25the price that we'll pay collectively uh as a civilization I think it um it
8:31really does a beautiful job of breaking it down and presenting it in a way
8:37that's really accessible to people because these are lofty fights that economists have about you know
8:43macroeconomic Theory and all this kind of stuff and she really uh makes it I
8:48think um very accessible to laay audience you know just what the issues
8:54are what's at stake and why the role of economists has been both so important in
9:01bringing us to the place that we are in in the current debate and why it's been
9:06so problematic yeah and uh I don't know whe this has been factious but if if anybody
9:12enjoys seeing famous economist making a complete full of themselves then this is the movie for you um yes I won't I won't
9:20name them you're concerned uh I heard no spoilers pardon
9:26no I'm not gonna spoil no spoilers no uh I heard you the other day being
9:32interviewed on NPR about the US national debt going over 34
9:39trillion dollars I mean for to most people $34 trillion may as well be $24 trillion or it's just a huge number um
9:49people maybe even more in the US than here uh seem to be
9:55scared about the national debt they've always been scared about the national debt um what is the national debt what
10:03are people scared of what are they getting wrong well let's talk let's talk about
10:09what people are scared of um what people are scared of are the the things that
10:17they have been told about the national debt that are supposed to personally
10:23jeopardize their Futures that's that's what it's about you know if you just thought oh well it's a big number but it
10:30doesn't connect to me in any way you probably wouldn't worry very much but
10:35when they say things like because of this very large number because we have this national debt hanging over our
10:43heads it is going to mean a bleak future for our children and grandchildren it is
10:50going to force us to make tough choices uh with respect to the federal budget
10:56because so many dollars have to be diverted to to repaying the debt that
11:01money won't be available for Education Health Care uh other priorities that are
11:08important to people and so people hear those kinds of you know like every day
11:14in the newspaper on the radio on television you know uh somebody is is
11:20spinning a tail of Woe about the so-called national debt and making it
11:25very personal and you know we've got a big billboard in New York City it used to be situated
11:32right there in Times Square and they've moved it to sort of a side street but it's still there and you can walk by and
11:38this thing Towers over you and the numbers change in real time so you just
11:43look up and you see click click click click and the number is getting bigger and bigger and then down below that big headline number it says your share and
11:51then it's you know the per capita so you take the total debt and divide by the size of the population and then you're
11:58told this is how much you're personally on the hook for well of course people get worried you know they'll say that
12:04it's going to mean a a future of crushing a crushing burden of taxes in
12:09the future that you know they're going to come for your wallet and and you're going to have to Pony up the funds to
12:16pay this all back so you said what do they get wrong everything I just said is wrong everything they say is wrong so
12:24what you know what I think creates so much anxiety
12:30both the fact that it's going to hit you personally but also just the word debt right just the fact that we are so
12:36conditioned to have a a sort of visceral reaction to the word debt I mean we
12:43probably all have a com a credit card you use your credit card but you know you have to be careful the last thing
12:49you want is to go to the mailbox every month and find a statement with a number that's growing and you feel like there's
12:55no end you know how am I ever going to pay this off um we're careful with you
13:00know other sorts of debt borrowing and that sort of stuff we know people can end up in trouble you can go broke we've
13:07seen businesses and companies you know have trouble with debt and file bankruptcy so we understand that debt
13:14can become a problem and then when we hear that the federal government is deeply inde dead
13:21the only way we know to sort of make sense of it is to liken it to our own personal finances so then people take
13:27advantage of that you know the fact that we don't have a better understanding and they say well just like you right the
13:34government's going to end up running out of money or going broke or all of this sort of stuff okay so what do we get
13:40wrong well the federal government is not like the rest of us okay and the the main way that we like to try to explain
13:47the difference in pretty simple terms is to say the federal government issues the
13:53currency in Australia your government issues the Australian dollar here in the US the government is the issuer of the
14:00US dollar the Japanese government issues the Yen and and the British government issues the pound and so forth right so
14:07if you were the issuer of the currency would you ever worry about running out
14:13of money no I wish I could do it right I can't it's illegal it's called
14:18counterfeiting if I try to create the US dollar um so I can't run out of money I
14:24can't face bills coming due in dollars that I can't afford to pay if I'm the
14:30federal government of the United States or if you're the Australian government so you're not going to run out of money you're not going to go
14:36broke why do you have to borrow why do governments go into debt okay and that
14:44gets into a whole deeper conversation but let me just say the the simple thing
14:50that people need to understand is that the thing that we call the national debt
14:58is nothing more than our after tax savings that's what it is so one simple
15:05example and then I'll stop the deficit is the difference between two numbers that's all it is
15:12right the first number is called outlays how many Australian dollars the
15:17government puts into somebody's hands every year the other number is called
15:22receipts how many do they subtract away from people mostly through taxation so
15:28so this thing we call a deficit is the difference between those two numbers
15:33right if the government spends more than it collects back mostly in taxes we say
15:38the government has run a deficit when the government matches its
15:44deficit by selling securities in our case us
15:50treasuries uh those treasuries become Financial assets to
15:56their holder but we call call it adding to the national debt and so when the
16:04government chooses to allow us to trade in some of
16:09our dollars for these interest bearing dollars we call it borrowing and we say
16:16the government is going into debt but what's really happening is that the government is just facilitating our
16:23savings when it adds more than it subtracts it's making a financial contribution the rest of us somebody
16:31gets to hold those as part of their wealth part of their savings yeah so in Australia they're
16:37part of our superannuation funds and people often make a fuss about uh foreign investors owning part of the
16:44government's debt but that all that is is that we don't ban foreign investors from buying uh buying the government's Bonds
16:51on the secondary market and if they want to hold Australian dollars then rather than holding them in in Australian bank
16:57accounts if they want something even safer than those they they can buy government bonds that's how they end up
17:02holding them we don't depend on the rest of the world to buy our government's debt either do we in the US doesn't
17:09depend on China to provide it with US Dollars you say that it's basically like
17:16the the government can issue two different instruments and one could call currency and the other we call you know
17:24Securities they're both dollars it's just that you know one of them comes
17:30with an interest payment in the case of bonds uh so it will throw off some
17:35additional dollars over time and the other one is u a non-interest bearing uh
17:42account so you have like the choice to hold your dollars in a checking account or savings account the government is
17:49giving us that option to hold some of our dollars in the form of a savings
17:54account as opposed to a checking account that's really all it amounts to but because we use this word debt to
18:02describe the savings account and not the checking account it leads to lots of I
18:08think unnecessary anxiety yeah you've reminded me about uh
18:13well a couple of really good parts of the movie again not giving it away U but there is one mainstream Economist who in
18:20the middle of the movie is asked why does the government issue debt in the first place and he realizes half way
18:28through his answer that he doesn't know the answer that question and he can't think of an answer that makes sense
18:34that's that's one of the one of my favorite parts of the movie and the other thing you just reminded me of is how minin uses symmetry so nicely in the
18:43movie and to promote the movie as well and and of course you've just been talking about a symmetry there which is
18:49that when the government runs a deficit they are giving us more dollars than they're taking away from us so we're
18:55running the Surplus when the government runs the deficit and and I mean that word is really important right symmetry
19:03because it is it is matched to the penny right the the government deficit is
19:10mirrored by a financial Surplus on the other side of the ledger so I you know I
19:16like to say they're readed in I don't know if you use that term uh we use it from you
19:24I their red in their red ink is our black in their deficits are our
19:31financial surpluses which makes it kind of crazy when you think about you know politicians running around pledging that
19:38if you vote for me I promise you I will shrink the size of your financial
19:45Surplus now they don't say it like that but when they tell you that by voting
19:50for them you're going to get smaller government deficits what they are by definition promising you are smaller
19:57finan Cal surpluses in the non-government part of the economy if they said it like that I have to believe
20:04most voters would say I'm not voting for that guy right well they don't most of them don't understand and more than once
20:11they don't more than once I've seen on the front page of the Australian financial review an article about the government's deficit falling and next to
20:18an article about household savings falling yeah at the same time and they don't make the connection they don't
20:24think there is a connection between exactly right yep so should we get rid the debt of the so-called debt the
20:30national debt or should we stop issuing treasury bonds and do something else you know we
20:37we have to it's this word Stephen because if if the government just ran a deficit and
20:45let the dollars accumulate as savings which they they are right and and we
20:53would all say oh that's fine you know we have dollars and they would show up as liab abilities on the central bank
21:00balance sheet but that balance sheet doesn't carry the word debt the Federal
21:05Reserve does not write the word debt on The Ledger and so we just call it
21:11reserves and nobody has a real you know panic attack over it but when those
21:18reserves are swapped out for Securities the liability goes on the
21:24treasury's books right it's it's a ledger for the US Treasury instead of the Federal Reserve and it's referred to
21:32as part of the public publicly held debt and it's the it's like six one a half a dozen of the other right how do you who
21:39do you want to pay the interest the fed or the treasury and when the FED pays the interest uh on assets known as
21:48reserves we just say interest on reserve balances and that's how we describe it when the treasury pays the interest we
21:54say the interest burden on the national debt or something like that so it's it's
22:01the way we talk about it and because it's so problematic and because you know I've been at this for like 25 years or
22:09more at this point trying to educate the public and uh it's just very hard to
22:16break through on a scale that is you know large enough to change the
22:22conversation and so if only for that reason you know I you could convince me
22:28to say just stop issuing the bonds either issue nothing longer than a
22:34three-month T Bill set the interest rate the overnight interest rate put it back to zero or something very close to zero
22:42and then the conversation would largely go away about interest burden and interest expenditure and all that the
22:48other option is you could let central banks issue the Securities and that would just make the whole thing much
22:54more transparent that it's about interest rates it's it's about in it's about maintaining interest rates above
23:01zero um the treasury doesn't have to be the one to issue the Securities the FED could do it would be a lot more
23:08transparent so I think one or a combination of things could help us like
23:14move Beyond this um NeverEnding battle and conversation
23:20about debt default and debt ceilings and burdens and all the rest of it
23:29yeah uh well I noticed that the the debt ceiling in the US at the moment is suspended
23:38temporarily what did they do uh I think it they they yeah because
23:44the language of the last one is sort of if I I I might not remember this correctly but there was a deal reached
23:52where they either voted to raise it sufficiently high that it won't become
23:57an issue before the next X date yeah I think it's the beginning of next year it
24:04might be the year after this year isn't it yeah but I know there was a price to
24:10pay that everything right after the election y
24:15yeah anyway perhaps we're going off down down a path we don't need to go down there H we're not saying that government
24:23should never necessarily be in Surplus and we're certainly not saying that
24:29governments should be spending without limit or shouldn't be budgeting carefully so what are we saying about
24:35how governments should go about doing their budgeting well all right you're let me
24:41reinforce what you just said which is that mmt takes no
24:49position um in the abstract on whether budgets should be in deficit small
24:55deficit mediumsized deficit large deficit Surplus balance right the goal
25:01of policy is not to achieve any particular budgetary outcome the goal of
25:07macroeconomic policy is to achieve real outcomes now you know what those are is
25:13a matter of um of public policy right the this is what elected officials do
25:19and budgets are uh a constraining device and they commit um Financial Resources
25:26to healthcare education infrastructure and all the rest of it and they're important both because you know you
25:33can't have it all there are limits and a budget is a a necessary and important
25:39way to try to structure the commitments and the the the stress that you're going
25:45to place on the economy's productive capacity in any given year or series of
25:51years so you look at a budget and you say I'm going to put X number of dollars additional into infrastructure structure
25:58this year next year and the following year I have a three-year Bill well okay that's a three-year commitment and it's
26:04becomes part of the budget um what are you trying to achieve with that are you
26:10trying to deal with child poverty do you have a goal in mind are you trying to reduce the rate of childhood poverty uh
26:17cut it in half every two years until it's as close to zero as you know one
26:23can hope to to uh achieve so real goals
26:28real objectives I mean people like Mariana matato who many of these uh
26:34people who are here with us now have probably heard she'll describe Mission
26:39oriented right public policy being Mission oriented what is the mission
26:44what is it you want to deliver through the budgeting process and committing the
26:50financial resources is an important and necessary step but it's not a sufficient step because you've also got to be able
26:57ble to manage the spending that you are proposing to do in a way that respects
27:05the productive capacity the limits the real resource limits uh of the domestic
27:11and any outside uh capacity you're hoping to use and also the planetary
27:17constraints the ecological limits so the real outcomes are what you target
27:24not the budgetary outcomes which kind of feeds on to inflation really um and what people have
27:32sometimes called the cost of living prices inflation the inflation rate in both the US and Australia peaked at
27:38nearly 8% in the US uh I think the um
27:44one of the measures of inflation the PC one is below 3% now it's Fallen much more quickly than a lot of people
27:51expected without uh unemployment having to rise significantly to to bring it
27:58down there's been a lot of talk about team transitory versus Team permanent as far as inflation is concerned and you
28:04were always on team transitory why
28:09was well for a number of reasons you know to be to have inflation become
28:17entrenched in the system and essentially you know feed on itself which is one of
28:23the concerns that was raised by uh economy Like Larry Summers U he wasn't
28:30alone but he was probably the most vocal here in the US uh and he was worried of
28:36a situation where you know wages in particular would begin to rise and then
28:42as wages increase companies would raise prices because their costs are going up and labor is a huge cost of production
28:49and then workers would you know say I'm not going to work for that because I need more money and then you get the the
28:55old wage price spiral uh it was very hard to imagine how you were going to
29:01have a scenario like that take hold in the US uh where you know the labor
29:08movement has been substantially weakened over the last 40 years people like Larry
29:15Summers sometimes sound as though they're still living in the 1970s yeah uh that was the reference
29:22back to either the 60s or the 70s that we were we were going to end up in that
29:27sort of a a he would talk about stagflation as well where you'd end up with very little growth high
29:33unemployment and high inflation alongside and of course none of that is
29:39what ended up happening so you know what what I was saying from the early stages
29:44was that this is this is a supply shock this is a negative Supply shock and uh
29:52you know we in the US in March of 2020 when covid really hit
29:57you know we basically told every worker in this country if you're not essential
30:02to the economy stay home we didn't have vaccines we didn't know if we would ever have vaccines we had you know our most
30:09famous white house um sort of scientists saying it could be four or five years
30:15before we develop an effective vaccine we didn't know businesses were told don't open your doors workers were told
30:22stay home uh it was a negative Supply shock and it obviously caused people to
30:30spend money very differently we couldn't go to bars and restaurants and gyms and theaters and nail salons and all of
30:36those kind of service oriented um outlets and we're a service economy 80%
30:42of the US economy is service and we mostly couldn't do any of those things so what did we do our kids were home
30:48from school we were told to work from home if we could so you turn your spare bedroom into a home office uh you buy
30:55new furniture and um you know desk chairs and tablets and all that kind of stuff well all those things have to be
31:02manufactured somewhere and we've got Global Supply chains and so uh we all
31:09remember the fragility of Supply chains right you you had shipping containers
31:15that weren't available and shipping costs going up and ships that were backed up at the ports and we didn't
31:20have people to unload them and Trucking and it all fed into in various ways it
31:27increases in prices early on in Goods production we weren't getting um you
31:34know factories that manufacture those little chips the little semiconductors that go into just about everything now
31:42from washing machines and microwave ovens to uh PCS and Automobiles and all
31:48that we couldn't get those things and so used car prices went crazy for a while and anyway the point is that we changed
31:56our patterns of of consumption we couldn't buy a lot of services and we tried to cram a lot of dollars into a
32:02very narrow and fragile supply chain for goods and we got inflationary pressures
32:10and so you had to sort of game out whether you thought the increases in
32:16inflation that really started April of
32:212021 um you really started to see inflation kind of 4% is and he said okay
32:28this is twice what the FED uh targets so um how should we respond and the debate
32:35about transitory was really among economists saying does this Merit a
32:41response by the Central Bank does the Central Bank need to respond to the
32:46increasing inflationary pressures the way it would typically fight inflation which is by raising interest rates and I
32:54I never not once not I think in any interview you ever did I take the position that interest rate hikes were
33:01the right way to respond to that uh kind of inflationary pressure that I saw I don't think any mmt Economist did to be
33:10fair we didn't think it we didn't think it was the right medicine and we are skeptical of the
33:18transmission mechanism even before Co we weren't um you know as confident as many
33:27of our peers in the the transmission mechanism like how do rate hikes actually work do they work to dampen
33:35aggregate demand in a reliable way and that brings down inflation or is it more
33:40complicated than that and can rate hikes actually under certain circumstances exacerbate inflationary
33:48pressure so we didn't want to turn to the interest rate tool as a policy
33:53response we said there are a whole bunch of other things that we could do to try to work on the kinds of problems
34:00that were creating the inflationary pressure and President Biden did a lot of that you know he said if we have
34:07problems at the ports and this is part of what's creating some inflationary
34:12pressure let's deal with the problems at the ports so he ordered you know you got to run
34:18247 uh and we're going to help with Trucking and Licensing and we're going to get more drivers out there and if we
34:24don't have enough workers in the labor force and it's getting hard for employers to find the people they need
34:30maybe part of the reason is that millions of workers especially women are sitting on the sidelines because they
34:37can't find affordable child care and so let's deal with that and we'll try to bring some workers back in what about
34:44immigration what about you know you go down the list and there uh are a whole lot of things that this Administration
34:51did later using the Strategic petroleum Reserve to try to deal with some of the
34:57um increase in you know gas prices that were um becoming a hardship for millions
35:03of families here so and that in a bit to Isabella vber
35:09and strategic price controls which lots of prominent economists initially um not
35:15to name anyone uh were very skeptical even mocky about the idea they were I mean
35:24they were and it wasn't just that they were skeptical of the suggestion you know she didn't
35:30even there was this little I don't know if everybody here is familiar but there's an economist uh a young academic
35:38uh at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst is Isabella vber is her name um
35:43she published a fairly short oped in the Guardian newspaper I don't remember what
35:50month that appeared but inflation was clearly a problem uh by that time and
35:56she sort of floated the idea that at least some of the uh higher prices that
36:03consumers were facing was perhaps the result of companies taking advantage of
36:10the inflationary moment and saying well kind of consumers expect to face higher
36:16prices when they go into the store when they you know purchase things so maybe
36:21we can get away with pushing prices up even faster than the costs that we're
36:28facing because you know we're going to raise prices because our own costs are going up but maybe we could squeeze out
36:34a little bit extra because the consumer is going to be like well this is that inflation everyone's talking about they
36:39won't really balk at it they'll pay those higher prices so she said you know
36:44that that could be happening and to the extent that that sort of stuff is taking place maybe one might wish to consider
36:53the Strategic use of some price controls so it was a very soft you know if this
36:58is happening maybe this she didn't just go in and say this is what's happening and we need and the uh a lot of people
37:07just had a a very negative reaction to even the suggestion that one might look
37:14to see whether firms were taking advantage price gouging whatever you want to call it uh and that price
37:20controls could be part of a uh a policy response so you're quite right um they
37:27we had a similar sort of controversy in in Australia there's a body called the Australia Institute that uh um published
37:36uh uh well Drew on Isabella's ideas I think and published some research to
37:42support that and uh for the RBA at the time it was almost
37:49heresy sure but then you had then you had central banks like the European Central Bank actually start producing
37:56studies to say how much of the call it excess inflation that we're experiencing
38:02at the moment can we Trace to you know having done too much fiscal uh stimulus
38:09how much is due to just the pandemic and the supply chains and that sort of stuff how much is due to what the kind of
38:16thing that Isabella pointed to where they were just quite explicit about it they give you a bar graph and tell you
38:22how much of the inflation of the inflationary pressure they themselves the ECB could point to
38:30you know uh what's been called sellers inflation or profit L inflation or whatever and it's not
38:37zero yeah where the RBA published research like that they tended to ignore it in the uh the leading officials when
38:45they were discussing these issues in public but anyway maybe uh we better open up to questions soon but before we
38:52do uh you've recently announced you'd successfully auction another book book can you tell us anything about
38:59that or not you you said it I didn't announce you said well I don't know I'm
39:06not gonna be in a position to say too much I've got an interview um coming out in the Ft I
39:13think they're going to run it this week they've been sitting on it for four weeks I think uh they wanted to be able
39:21to publish the working title of the book but I don't think we're going to do that because it's not it's not certain um but
39:30let's just say that a lot of the things that we've been talking about here are going to be dealt with in that next book
39:37and I'm excited uh to have it you know um to have it in my mind more or less uh
39:45the idea of what it what it is that I think is important to say for audiences
39:51and to be publishing it with um a new editor and with uh penguin Random House
40:00Crown is going to publish it in the US uh John Murray will publish the UK
40:05Edition and they did a wonderful job with the deficit myth and I was really happy to be able to to stay with them
40:12for the textbook um but broadly think think about
40:18inflation deep okay well we look forward to that we'll be definitely pushing that book around Australia when it comes out
40:26Gabby how are we doing with questions uh there's a lot of great questions actually um you want to pick one sure
40:33okay so the first one I've got is uh from Michelle um does national debt affect
40:40our credit rating well
40:46our does it's it's almost the other way well does national debt affect our
40:52credit rating I think she's talking from an Australian perspective should well it's just from Australian should I ever
40:58go that yeah well sure because graduate
41:04student you wouldn't have a credit rating presumably if you didn't have the debt to rate uh and so the rating
41:12agencies are advising investors about well Stephen what do you
41:17want to say I wanted to say that we had a graduate student is now a PhD student somewhere in Melbourne uh Adela Union
41:25when I was there called Matthew ER whose thesis I supervise who looked empirically at the impact of uh
41:33downgrading or Warnings on the credit ratings of monetary Sovereign governments like Australia uh that's a a
41:41government that b issues its own currency has no foreign currency denominated debt at all um significantly
41:48in a floating exchange rate and he proved that there is no impact at all on
41:54Australian interest rates of uh changes uh in the uh credit
42:02ratings of governments like Australia so as far as the credit rating agencies are
42:09concerned uh although you wouldn't believe this to listen to our politicians but uh uh Federal
42:17politicians in countries like Australia should just ignore them we're not in 1975 now we don't have a US dollar debt
42:25uh we don't have a fix exchange rate the world is a very different place the credit rating agencies have no power
42:31over the Australian Commonwealth government whatsoever if only the government realized that and there's
42:37empirical evidence that that's the case well okay so let me just jump on that because um the question is is clear when
42:45you ask does do the rating agencies impact the ability of the government to
42:53issue debt like that that's a no could it uh does it impact the interest that
43:00you have to pay on the debt so no could it could a downgrade have real impacts in terms of
43:08public policy if the policy makers themselves view the downgrade as a
43:15legitimate warning about the sustainability of a nation's finances and might that cause them to um you know
43:25adjust the budg in ways that make it more austerity right uh driven because
43:31they're fearful of uh continuing to allow uh the deficit or whatever yeah
43:37that can happen I mean we see that here we get the downgrade of you know us
43:42treasuries and all of a sudden uh at least a handful of politicians start calling it a warning sign and then using
43:50it to justify um you know cuts to programs like Social Security and Medicare or
43:56other sorts of things so there's an irony there that isn't it's almost a warning that the that the politicians
44:03might do something stupid because the only risk in the US really is that they don't raise the debt
44:09SE yeah I mean we should probably mention Japan uh in this context right
44:15because one of the examples that we've pointed to for a lot of years um is that
44:21Japanese government bonds uh the rating agencies downgrade
44:26Japanese government uh bonds to a level that was below that of
44:32Botswana I say oh my right this must be really bad for the government of Japan
44:38they're gonna have a terrible time trying to borrow and they're gonna have to pay exorbitant interest rates and so
44:44forth and of course all of that is wrong uh I think the debt to GDP ratio gross
44:50uh Japanese government debt is like 262 per at the moment the Bank of Japan
44:56holds some 60% of all the jgbs on its own balance sheet um the central bank
45:03has been um the overnight interest rate right the policy rate has been negative
45:09for a period of years they've been doing yield curve control with the 10year pinned roughly at zero uh for much of
45:17the last several years so you don't lose control of interest rates you don't lose the ability to issue Securities or any
45:24of those sort of things even if you're um so-called dead is downgraded you know
45:30to sort of Third World um developing economy uh with that borrows heavily in
45:37foreign currencies and all the rest of it some of the confusion came over in the NPR interview when she mentioned
45:43Grace to I thought this is an intelligent German it's it's 2023 nearly
45:512024 and she's saying can the US government maybe she was just ask it to
45:56provide you to answer but exactly the us into Greece she she's great and they're
46:03great and let me just say because I did see a lot of people on Twitter um you
46:10know saying not very nice things about NPR and about the host of that program
46:16and I was you know kind of bothered by that because um I know what really
46:23happened and so if I if this is a moment where I could say a couple of words about that I think you know I'd like to
46:28do that so they came to me and they said you know there's all this hysteria about
46:34the national debt you have a very different view we want to have you come on and share your view so that's what
46:42they wanted and then they have you do a pre-interview so that you talk to the
46:48producer who can then help shape the the program right but it was a four and a half minute segment that's what I was
46:55given four and a half minutes and I knew that up front and so I spent you know an
47:00hour on the phone with the producer going through all of this and then they come up with four questions and my job
47:06is to respond to those four questions in the four and a half minutes that I've been offered and I didn't get out that
47:14last response quickly enough and so she had to sort of interrupt and rap and a lot of people thought that she didn't
47:20want to allow me to give an answer it wasn't that at all uh it was just you know you run out of time it's a tightly
47:27scripted show uh and she asked the question not because she thinks the US
47:34is like Greece but because she wanted me to have a chance to explain to the audience why the US is not like
47:40Greece which mainly is of course because Grace doesn't issue its own currency yeah or as I put it I think to
47:48the producer because we did not make the colossally stupid decision to abandon
47:54our Sovereign currency and start borrowing in a currency that isn't our own right that we can't issue Greece and
48:01and by the way uh Spain and Portugal and Germany and France and all the rest of
48:06them uh they abandon their Sovereign currencies and effectively turned
48:13themselves into currency using governments not all that different from
48:19California New York the state of Georgia Illinois uh Pennsylvania and so forth
48:25right right so it's a big difference and countries like Argentina Sri Lanka turkey where there's a a lot of foreign
48:33currency usually US dollar de they're also in a different position to the us a
48:38lot of foreign currency lot of yeah foreign denominated debt uh a lot of the
48:43budget that is indexed to inflation lot more than what we have here so that when
48:50prices start increasing payments start increasing so prices increase again so pay increase again it's much easier to
48:57get that sort of entrenched inflation uh in countries that have you
49:03know a lot of indexing well thanks very much for that question we we went on about it for
49:09quite a long time so um I I think I've managed to find the link to the NPR radio and popped it in the chat there um
49:16hopefully that link works would you toest um sure I let's go with the second
49:24one that I I picked out there's so many so many great questions and I'd like to also acknowledge the students in our
49:30program are jumping in and answering quite a lot of people's questions there too thank you so much for doing that I
49:36think so yes um so this question is from Anne um and it's about messaging which
49:44I'm also interested in as an activist um so what are your thoughts on the
49:49slightly inaccurate shorthand she puts slightly inaccurate in Brackets and with a question mark to say deficits don't
49:56matter and also to say taxes don't fund spending because it is more complicated
50:02than that well I don't say either of those
50:08things so I I don't that's not part of my no I think she's talking about like
50:15um people communicating about Bond monetary Theory online right but I guess
50:20then what I'm trying to say is well I don't communicate about mmt using either
50:26of those shorthands if I thought it would be helpful to do so I guess I would be doing it but I think I purpose
50:34I probably try to avoid saying either of those things because I don't think it's
50:41helpful um I get the I get it I know why people
50:47want to say deficits don't matter and what they leave unsaid is the way we've been taught to believe right but to say
50:54they don't matter is almost like well then we don't need them you know if they don't matter then it doesn't matter if
51:01we eliminate them they do I mean very much don't they they do matter they do
51:06matter so that's why to the extent that I'll say deficits don't matter I would always bookend it with the way you've
51:13been taught to believe yeah and taxes don't fun spend I mean
51:18that's almost it's almost for me
51:25I don't think it helps me advance the larger points that I'm trying to make so
51:31I don't say it and then and if you do say it then of course you're just going
51:36to have to fight with deeply held convictions uh about you know why people
51:41think they pay their taxes and how this is part of what allows the government to provide you know benefits and uh public
51:49services and all the rest of it but you can challenge that it just depends who your audience is and how much time you
51:54have and which fight you want to pick yeah um there's actually a great
52:00question from Rigo um which I'm I'm not taking them in order now but this one came up which I I thought a lot of
52:07people might be interested in um could you give your take on what uh the new
52:13Argentinian uh president I not sure if I'm pronouncing his name mili um
52:20correctly um to what he is trying to do in Argentina to fix the 150% inflation
52:27um eliminating the central bank or what what else should Argentina what what
52:33other options are there for Argentina if they didn't have a person such as him in
52:39charge yeah yeah that's a big question um
52:48look th this is not a new problem in Argentina and to think that we're going
52:54to do in three minutes uh any kind of Justice to this question it's just
53:00impossible um he's obviously comes from a a very different perspective from the
53:07one that I come from I think um clearly you know he's a a sort of Chicago School
53:15Milton Freedman on steroids kind of guy he believes I think uh deeply that you
53:22know the problems that Argentina faces are somehow uh related to the the notion
53:31of a fiat currency itself this talk about you know folding up the central
53:37bank and all that kind of stuff I think he's backed away from that I don't think that's uh a pledge that he intends to
53:44try to keep privatizing lots of public um assets and and pursuing austerity and
53:53uh you know not first time is it it's not the first time they've done it's not
53:58the first time they've done something like this the 199 similar yeah I mean I
54:04I it would take so much more time to talk about you know the Argentinian economy and I'm not an expert on the
54:11Argentinian economy um I could say much more but in the time that we have I
54:16don't uh we're not we're not even going to scratch the surface let's just leave it at I think his macroeconomic
54:23framework is uh could not be more different from the framework that I operate
54:30within uh and you know while bits and pieces of things that he has said are
54:37consistent with uh you know what one might do if one was trying to reduce
54:44inflationary pressures it's not completely detached from you know
54:50reality um I think people could
54:55the problem what's that I think people could uh look up on Wikipedia or
55:00somewhere Argentina's history and just look at the last 150 years in Argentina
55:06there has never been a successful democracy at any stage in 150 years in Argentina apart from maybe for about
55:13five years after the last time an experiment experiment like this
55:19collapsed in the early 2000s it's been basically two uh it
55:25Elite groups uh uh uh fighting and neglecting
55:32uh people in rural communities and and there's never been a functioning democracy I don't think MNT is is a
55:39magic wand and if if if if the if you don't have decent
55:45institutions if you don't have a working democracy then uh macroeconomic policy
55:51whatever it is is not going to solve all your problems for yeah this happens in a lot of countries where the exporters are
55:57really kind of running the country there is a very good podcast uh David
56:03McWilliams if you know who that is he's an Irish Economist he has a great
56:08podcast and not so many weeks ago he had the leader of the opposition party on
56:15his podcast to talk about Argentina and you can get a lot out of that conversation in terms of you know how
56:22deeply entrenched these problems are and U hear it from Martin who uh I think
56:29lays out really nicely you know what what the challenges are and some alternative ways that you could think
56:36about you know trying to address the problems yeah there is a talk not that I
56:42go along with absolutely everything in it but there is a talk by someone we uh certainly deeply respect Warren Mosin on
56:49his view of what would be the best thing to do in Argentina on M economics.com
56:55but somewhere at the end he said says something along the lines of well I've got an idea what I do in Argentina but
57:04uh there's no way that any political group would be interested in actually trying to do this
57:11yeah perhaps just to round it out then um if we come back to the idea of
57:16framing um and uh I've I've got a question here in a direct message um but
57:23the I think the the g g of it is um is there anything that we could or should
57:28be doing in the public domain that would be most helpful to this cause of um
57:35teaching people that finding the money is not the the
57:41problem yeah show up uh when your elected officials have um you know
57:48campaign events or meet with their constituents write letters to the editor make your voice heard call into radio
57:56programs um you know if if you feel confident that you have a a decent grasp
58:04of you know where the conventional um messaging and narrative is going off the
58:10rails and you think you can offer some you know helpful way to reframe and and
58:17get people to think differently the comments section I mean I remember early on uh a lot of the early kind of boost
58:25to mmt came from people who were following our work going out and you
58:33know putting comments in the section in the comment section on the New York Times after a high-profile Economist
58:40let's call him Paul Krugman would write a piece and all of a sudden it would sort of get flooded with comments and
58:46links to work that you know mmt economists had done it's irritating to
58:52the person who's written the piece but but it's also really helpful because uh
58:58you know there's so many people reading that stuff that if they go down and look
59:03at the comments and they see somebody saying this isn't right what you should read is is this other thing it turns out
59:10that that can help propagate um you know the ideas so invite people to come to
59:17the movie if it's showing anywhere come to the mov take coures if you yeah um
59:23but right call in communicate use your voice to be optimistic the only reason
59:30really that I know Stephanie is that when I first got interested in mmt there
59:35were so few people who were interested in mmt that it it didn't really matter who you were
59:41you knew everyone because there were many people to me and it's very very different now
59:49very different very very different yeah and thanks to the efforts of people like
59:55you Stephen I mean well people like you no no
1:00:02no takes all of us um I don't think we'll get time for more questions um because we are about
1:00:10to well we we're over the hour but um I wanted to just tell people that I've
1:00:16posted in the chat a link to the modern money Lab website which has lots of information for people who might be
1:00:23thinking about studying with and there's various ways that people can get involved with that um and we have a
1:00:30Q&A plan for uh new students and potential students coming up in about
1:00:35well the same time as this started in eight days is one of them and then we have another one a little after that so
1:00:42we we'd love to have you along to those if you're thinking about it and want to just meet us and and ask us about it we
1:00:48also have the next lecture in this series with um Professor Josh Farley
1:00:54Joshua aali from University of Vermont um who is going to be talking to us about ecological economics and that is
1:01:00in 3 days time at the same time um yes there will be a recording of
1:01:06This emailed out to all the participants and everyone who's registered and I
1:01:11wanted to just acknowledge um that there's been so much interest in this January series I'm really overwhelmed
1:01:18with um the number of people who've who've booked online to be part of this
1:01:24um uh you know we made this free U so you can join um you can join in these six
1:01:30wonderful talks without paying anything and actually people have donated you not
1:01:35going to believe this but nearly $35,000 has been donated just to support this series which is amazing wonder the
1:01:42movie tour is quite expensive to organize so thank you we are so grateful
1:01:48thank you we are the next lecture is in three days time not two let's add the
1:01:53other speak speakers as well we we have uh we have uh another one of the
1:01:59founders of modern monetary Theory who's Rand Ray who's gonna uh who's doing a
1:02:04talk for us soon uh on the history of money uh which is uh I heard him give
1:02:10that talk many times it's always fascinating uh we are going to hear from
1:02:15our great friend fatel kaboo also who's going to talk about um decolonization
1:02:21and decarbonization and and we're going to hear from our lecture
1:02:27on our courses durken who's going to talk to us about the Eurozone and we
1:02:33have actually two ecological economists talking to us uh one of whom is at the
1:02:38top of my screen at the moment actually looking at me Mark diendorf it would be great to hear from as well the co-author
1:02:46of the book The Path to a sustainable civilization I'm really looking forward to that one as well yeah and just to
1:02:55absolutely clear up the confusion um the next talk in our series is Friday
1:03:01morning for Australians and Thursday evening if you're in the US just because
1:03:07um uh I can see some dates and times coming in there and I just wanted to make that clear um we we're kind of
1:03:14quite far apart in terms of time zones so um uh but I'll try and do reminders
1:03:19for everybody so that you know exactly when it is and uh of course um we a huge thank you to
1:03:27Stephanie and thank you not only just for this talk but for being so supportive of what we're doing with our
1:03:33with our postgraduate qualifications and for taking the time to come out to Australia and tour around with us I'm
1:03:40just so looking forward to this it's going to be an absolute Joy um it's wonderful to go around Australia and
1:03:47meet people and um we're going to have an amazing time and thank you so much
1:03:52for doing it yeah it's obviously we're a long way apart so we very rarely get to
1:03:57meet Steph but we're really looking forward to me too I'm excited to be coming
1:04:05back fantastic yes I can stop the recording now thank you very much and
1:04:10thanks again everybody so much for coming
0:01皆さん、おはようございます。ご参加いただきありがとうございます。または、米国または世界の他の場所にいる場合は、こんばんは。
0:09おはようございます夕方、おやすみ、私たちに参加してくれてうれしいです、えっと、これほど大きなグループがいるのは素晴らしいことです、私の
0:16 名前はギャビー、ええと、私はモダンマネーラボの CEO です、スティーブン・ヘイルと
0:22 ステファニー・ケルトンと一緒にここにいます持続可能性の経済学 2024 年の講義
0:27 シリーズでお話します。時間を割いていただいたステファニーに感謝したいと思います。えー、今日は
0:34 お金を見つけることについて話してください。えー、これは本当に重要です。えー、私たちが取り組んでいるものです。私たち全員が
知っておく必要があること 0:40 それと、ステファニーをフィーチャーしたドキュメンタリーが公開される予定の新しい映画のタイトルについても
0:46 少し後で説明します えー、セッションを開始する直前に確認したいと思います
0:51 ええと、アデレードでは、私たちはアデレード平原のガーナー族の土地に住み、働いていることを認めたいと思います0:58
この土地は一度も定住したことがなく、私たちは過去と現在の長老たちに敬意を表しています、そして私は
1:04スティーブンに引き継ぎます。では、皆さん、大歓迎
です。ええと、1:10特に深夜や早朝からライブに参加される場合は、ええと、お
会いできてとても嬉しいです。1:18ええと、名前のリストにはたくさんの人が載っています 馴染みのある名前もたくさんありますし、
そうでない名前も 1:24 たくさんあります ゲストをお迎えする前に来てくれてありがとうございます I 言いたいのはこの
1:31 シリーズのインタビューとトークは、モダン マネー ラボによって企画されました。 モダン マネー ラボは、登録された慈善団体です。 1:38 南オーストラリア州アデレードに本部があり、ギャビーと私が座っているのは、約1:46 年前に今では主に
3 つの目的で設立されました。
現代貨幣理論と生態経済学をどこで勉強できるかという質問に答えるために
1:54 私たちは大学院の卒業証書と修士号を書きました、それで
2:00 世界のどこにいても初めてこの質問に対する答えがありました、そして私たちは幸運でした
2:05これらのコースを提供するために私たちと提携する準備ができている大学を見つけるのに十分です
2:11私たちは2月に第5学期を開始します。そして、ディベートする力を与えるための卒業証書に参加していただければ幸いです
2:18経済問題については誰でも、または修士課程を修了してプロのエコノミストとして訓練を受ける必要はあり
ません 2:25紹介する必要はありませんが、彼女はストーニーブルック大学の公共政策の教授です
2:32ベストセラー本の「赤字神話」の著者、元チーフエコノミスト米国上院予算委員会で
2:39そして、私たちのパートナーであるトーレン大学オーストラリアの名誉教授または非常勤教授も加えることを忘れてはなりません
2:46他にもたくさんありますが、ステファニーさん、ようこそ、皆さんとご一緒できてとても嬉しいと言いたいだけです
2:54さあ、始めましょうギャビーがちょうどお金を見つけると言っていたので映画と一緒に
3:00 この映画は世界中どこにいても今年のある時点で観てもらえることを願っています
3:07 監督のマーと一緒にツアーしてオーストラリア南東部をうろうろしています3月に
3:13映画はどうやってできたんですか これはマリンのアイデアです
3:21あなたは知ってるでしょう、彼女はある種の興味を持っていて、彼女はあなたに答えられるでしょう
3:27明らかに私よりも良い答えができます、なぜなら彼女はあなたのことを知っているからです彼女が私たちを探し求め、
3:36私たちの多くが経済学者としてやっている仕事と、
特に mmt ええとマクロな枠組みの中で行っている仕事と、
3:50環境と持続可能性に対する彼女自身の関心との間に、彼女が見つけたつながりが何だったのかを知っています。それで、ご存知のとおり、私たちは
3:56仕事をしていましたが、それは、
4:04ミズーリ大学で私の同僚だったマシュー・フォートのような人々との、MMT の本当に初期の段階にまで遡ると思います
。 09カンザスシティで私は17年間教えていましたが、マット
はいつもこの分野で仕事をしていました 4:17この分野、つまり環境のことを指します、彼はかつて教えていたと思いますし、おそらく今でもやっていると思います
4:22環境経済学のようなコースを教えていたので、少なくとも何人かのMMT経済学者がいました
4:27から一番最初に、誰の仕事が組み込まれたのか、ああ、この種の質問
4:34気候と持続可能性について、ええと、
最初にミューレンと会話したとき正直だったか覚えていない 4:39彼女がずっと前から知っていることは知っていますが、
4:46そうではありません何年も前のことですが、この映画は
4 分 51 秒で作られてから何年も経っています。そして、私がこの 4 分 57 秒を間違っていたら、彼女は私を正してくれるだろうと何度も思いましたが、
私の記憶によれば、彼女の当初のアイデアは次のようなものでした。
5:05という映画を撮るのは、彼女が最終的にやったこととは少し違っていたと思います、私は
5:11の講演をしていたと思います、私たちの多くはハーバード大学にいたのですが、ここには
5:18活動家のグループがあり、彼らは自分たちを日の出と呼んでいます
5:23 ハーバード大学で誰かがカンファレンスを企画して、多くの学者や法律活動家が集まった
5:29 学者、経済学者、歴史家、その他の人たちが集まったんだけど、彼女がそこにいて 5:35 ああ、映画を撮っていたのを覚えてる、
そしてしばらくしてから
5:40 映画が始まったんだと思う形を整えるために、物語は彼女の頭の中で形を作り始め、それはある種、
数人の経済学者の一人としての私の知的旅の中心となるものになりました。
5:56MMTの学術文献に貢献して、彼女はこう言った
6:03これは気候変動に欠けている要素のようなものだと思う 6:10これは
私たちの命のため、そして私たちの命と彼女のための戦いだということ私たちが行っている仕事は
6:16不可欠であり、その運動にとって有益であると考えていました。そしてこの映画は、
6:22お金がどれだけになるのかについて人々が話しているのを聞くことができるように、ストーリーを
6:22まとめようとする彼女の努力だと思います。
6:35気候変動という差し迫った課題に取り組むにはコストがかかる6:35その費用はどうやって払うの?マリンはそれを使いたかったんだけど
6:42これは間違った質問だと言う入り口だと思うんだけど、あなたは私は
これをハーバード大学で説明したのですが、実際、お金を見つけることが全体の課題の中で最も簡単な部分であり、それ以外はすべてです
6:55それは本当に難しい、それは私たちの側で多くの思慮深い、ああ、ハードワークが必要になるでしょう、でもお金を見つけることはは
7:02 簡単な部分で、これが彼女が提示したかったストーリーだと思います。それは素晴らしい答えです。
7:09 昨日、会議で誰かが私に尋ねました。実際にここにいる誰かが、映画を 60 秒で要約するように頼んだので、私は
7:16 そうしなければなりませんでした行きますが、あまりうまくできませんでした、えーっと、あまりにも多くの内容をカバーしているため、そうするのは非常に困難です
7:23地面 実際、私は開始してまだ5分遅れていると思います、しかし、素晴らしい映画ですが、ちょうど
7:30から次の映画に進む前にこの映画、もしあなたが南オーストラリア州にいて、まだ見る予約をしていないのなら、
7:38お願いします。最初に見る前から良い作品になるだろうと思っていました。7:44時間だったのです
が、とても長かったです。予想していたよりも良かった これはマルの素晴らしい功績であり、この映画を
7:50 にまとめた スティーブン、ご存知の通り、彼女はこの映画をとても美しくまとめ上げました、そしてこの映画が本当に実現していることの 1 つは、それが
現代の主流経済学に対する 7:58 の告発であるということですつまり、それはとても
8:04この映画で彼女がやろうとしていることの大きな部分は、彼らがどれだけ間違っているのか、そして
8:13このまま道を続けた場合に私たち全員がどんな代償を払うのかを明らかにすることです8:20間違った質問をして
、その上に間違った答えをして、そして
8:25私たちが集団的に支払うことになる代償は、文明としてそれだと思います
8:31本当にそれを分解して提示するという素晴らしい仕事をしています
8:37それは、ある意味、人々にとって本当に分かりやすいものです、なぜなら、これらは経済学者たちがあなたが知っている高尚な争いだからです
8:43マクロ経済理論やこの種のことすべて、そして彼女は本当にそうですね、それを私にもたらしてくれます
8:48ええと、一般の聴衆にとっては非常に分かりやすいと思います、知っていますよね問題点
8:54 何が問題になっているのか、そしてなぜ経済学者の役割がなぜそれほど重要なのか
9:01現在の議論の中で私たちが置かれている状況と、それがなぜそうなったのかを説明します
9:06とても問題があります、ええと、これがどこで捏造されたのかはわかりませんが、もし誰かがいるなら
9:12有名な経済学者が完全な議論をしているのを見るのを楽しんでいるなら自分自身のことなら、これはあなたのための映画です ええと、そうしません、しません
9:20あなたが心配している人の名前をあげてください、ああ、ネタバレはありません、ごめんなさい
9:26いいえ、ネタバレするつもりはありません、ネタバレはありません、ああ、聞いたことがあります先日
9:32 アメリカの国債が 34 兆ドルを超えていることについて NPR でインタビュー
を受けました 9:39 ほとんどの人にとって 34 兆ドルは 24 兆ドルにも等しいかもしれません、あるいは単に膨大な数字です 9:49
アメリカではさらに多いかもしれませんここよりも、えーっと、国の借金が怖いようです
9:55 彼らはいつも国の借金のことを怖がっています えー、国の借金とは何ですか
10:03 人々は何を恐れていますか、彼らは何を間違っているのでしょうか、まあ、話しましょう
10:09 何を話しましょう人々が恐れているのは、人々が恐れていること、それは
10:17 国家債務について彼らが聞かされてきたことであり、それが個人的に
彼らの将来を危険にさらすことになっている 10:23 それがそれなのです、ああ、これは大きな数字だけど
10:30全然私とは関係ない 君はあまり心配しないだろうけど
10:35この数字がとても大きいから 国の借金が私たちの頭の上にぶら下がっているから
10:43こんなことを言われたらそれは私たちの子供たちや孫たちにとって暗い未来を意味するでしょう
10:50連邦予算に関して私たちに難しい選択を強いることになるでしょう
10:56なぜならあまりにも多くのドルが借金返済に転用されなければならないからです
11:01お金教育には利用できません 医療 ああ、他の優先事項は
人々にとって重要です、そして人々は毎日のようにあなたの知っているような種類のことを耳にします
11:14 新聞、ラジオ、テレビであなたは知っています、誰かが回っています
11:20いわゆる国家債務についての嘆きの尾であり、それが非常に
個人的なものになっている 11:25ニューヨーク市には大きな看板があるのはご存知の通り、以前は
そこにあった 11:32タイムズスクエアのすぐそこにあったが、彼らはそれを移動させた脇道みたいなところだけど、まだそこにあるし、通り過ぎることができる
11:38 これは頭上にそびえ立っており、数字はリアルタイムで変化するので、ただ
11:43 上を見上げると、クリッククリッククリッククリックすると数字が大きくなるのがわかりますそして、その大きな見出しの数字の下にあなたの取り分が表示され、
11:51で一人当たりの額がわかるので、負債総額を人口規模で割ると
11になります。58これはあなたが個人的にどれだけ危機に瀕しているかと言われました、もちろん人々はそう言うだろうと心配します
12:04それは、圧倒的な税金の負担を打ち砕く未来を意味するでしょう
12:09彼らがあなたの財布を狙って来ることがわかっていて、そしてあなたは資金をポニーで集めて
12:16これを支払う必要がある未来を意味します全部元に戻して、それで彼らは何を間違っているのですか 私が今言ったことはすべて間違っています 彼らの言うことはすべて間違っています だから
12:24あなたが知っていること、私が考えていることは非常に不安を引き起こします
12:30それはあなたを個人的に襲うという事実だけでなく、借金という言葉は正しい、ただ私たちがとてもそうであるという事実だけ
12:36借金という言葉に対してある種の本能的な反応をする条件が整っているということは、私たちは
12:43おそらく誰もがクレジットカードを持っているでしょう、クレジットカードを使用しますが、注意しなければならないことは知っています12:49あなたが一番
望んでいないことは、毎月郵便受けに行って、数字が増えていく明細書を見つけることです。そして、
終わりがないように感じます12:55これをどうやって返済するかわかりますか、私たちは慎重にしていますあなたは
13:00他の種類の借金やその類のことは知っています、私たちは人々が最終的に問題に陥る可能性があることを知っています、あなたは破産する可能性があります
13:07あなたが知っている企業や会社が借金で問題を抱えて破産しているのを見てきたので、私たちは借金がそのようなものであることを理解しています
13 :14問題になる可能性があるのに、連邦政府が本当に死んでいると聞くと
13:21それを理解する唯一の方法は、それを自分の個人的な財政に喩えることです。そうすれば人々は
それを利用する 13:27私たちがこれ以上理解していないという事実はご存知でしょう、そして彼らもあなたと同じようによく言うのです
13:34政府は最終的にはお金がなくなるか破産するか、そのようなことはすべて大丈夫です、それで私たちは何を得ることができますか
13 :40間違っています、連邦政府は他の人々とは違います、大丈夫です、そして私たちが説明したい主な方法は
13:47その違いを非常に簡単な言葉で言うと、連邦政府がオーストラリアの通貨を発行していると言うことです
13:53あなたの政府が発行する通貨ここアメリカではオーストラリアドルです 政府は
米ドルの発行者です 14:00 日本政府は円を発行し、イギリス政府はポンドなどを発行します 14:07 もし
あなたが通貨の発行者だったら、お金がなくなるのが心配
14:13 お金がなくなるのが心配 いいえ、正しくできればいいのですが、できません それは違法です
14:18 米ドルを作ろうとすると偽造と言われます ええと、お金がなくなるわけにはいきません
14:24 できません私が米国の 14:30 連邦政府である場合、またはあなたがオーストラリア政府である場合、支払い期限が迫っているドル建ての請求書に直面することはありません。
したがって、お金が不足することはありません。行かないつもり
14:36壊れた なぜ借金しなければならないのですか なぜ政府は借金をするのですか 大丈夫、それは
14:44 かなり深い話になりますが、簡単なことだけ言わせてください
14:50 人々が理解する必要があるのは、私たちが国の借金と呼ぶものは
14:58 税金を節約した後のものにすぎません、それが本当のことなのです簡単な
15:05例、それから赤字をやめるよ 2 つの数字の差、それだけだ
15:12そうだね、最初の数字は支出額と呼ばれる
15:17政府が毎年誰かの手に渡すオーストラリアドルの金額、もう 1 つの数字はそう呼ばれる
15:22政府は、主に税金によって国民から受け取る収入はいくらなのでしょう
か。 15:28つまり、赤字と呼ぶのは、これら 2 つの数字の差です。
15:33政府が主に税金で回収する以上に支出した場合、正しいと言えます。
15: 38 政府が有価証券を売却することで赤字を補うとき、政府は赤字を出している
15:44 私たちの場合、国債を売却する
15:50 ああ、その国債は保有者の金融資産になる15:56
しかし、これを国債の追加と呼びます。 :04政府は、私たちが利子の付くドルと
一部を交換することを許可することを選択しました16:09私たちはそれを借入金と呼び、私たちは政府が借金をしていると言っています 16:16政府は借金を抱えていると言っていますが、実際に起こっていることは、政府は私たちの16:23貯蓄を促進しているだけです差し引くものよりも足したものが大きいとき、それは経済的貢献をしていることになる 残りの私たち誰かは16:31 それを自分の富の一部として貯蓄の一部として保持できるようになります そう、だからオーストラリアでは16:37 年金基金の一部であり、人々はよくお金を稼ぐのです16:44外国人投資家が政府債務の一部を所有しているという大騒ぎだけど、それは外国人投資家が流通市場で政府債を買うことを禁止していないだけで 16:51彼らがオーストラリアドルを保持したいならオーストラリアの銀行に預けておくのではなく16:57口座よりさらに安全なものが欲しければ国債を買えばいい、そうすれば彼らは最終的には国債を保有することになる17:02政府の国債を買うのに世界の他の国々に依存しない17:09米国ドルの供給を中国に依存していないのか、あなたは基本的にはこんな感じだと言う17:16政府は2つの異なる手段を発行でき、1つは通貨と呼ばれ、もう1つは我々が呼ぶものであることはわかっているだろう17: 24有価証券、どちらもドルです 知っているのは、どちらかが17:30 債券の場合は利払いが付いていることです ええと、それは時間の経過とともにいくらかの追加のドルを浪費するでしょう 17:35 もう一つは無利息です ええと
17:42口座なので、ドルを当座預金口座か普通預金口座で保持するかの選択と同じように、政府は
私たちにドルの一部を当座預金口座では
なく普通預金口座の形で保持するオプションを与えています 17:54本当にそれだけのことですが、私たちはこの借金という言葉を
18:02当座預金口座ではなく普通預金口座について説明するのに使っているので、それは多くのことを引き起こすの
です 18:08不必要な不安を考えます、そう、あなたは私に思い出させてくれました
18:13まあ、いくつか映画の本当に良い部分はまたもや外に出さないけど、ある主流派経済学者がいて、
映画の中盤で18:20でそもそもなぜ政府は借金を発行するのかと尋ねられ、
その答えの途中で18:28で彼は次のように悟った。彼はその質問の答えを知りません、そして、意味のある答えを思いつきません
18:34それはこの映画の私のお気に入りの部分の1つです、そしてあなたが今思い出したもう一つのことは、ミニンが対称性をどのように使用するかということです18:43の映画では非常にうまく
表現されており、映画の宣伝にも使われています。そしてもちろん、あなたはそこで対称性について話していましたが、それは
18:49 政府が赤字を出したとき、彼らは我々に受け取るドルよりも多くのドルを与えているということです。私たちから離れているので、私たちは
18:55 政府が赤字を出しているときに黒字を出している そしてつまり、この言葉は非常に重要です 右対称性19:03 それは右のペニーと一致しているからです19:10
政府の赤字が反映されています
帳簿の反対側には財務上の余剰があるので、私は知っています
19:16彼らは読まれていると言いたいのですが、あなたがその言葉を使うかどうかは知りませんが、ええと、私たちはあなたからそれを使います
19:24私は彼らの赤を彼らの赤インクで
19:31財政黒字は赤字です19:31財政黒字だと公約して走り回っている政治家たちのことを考えるとちょっとおかしくなります
19:38もしあなたが私に投票してくれたら約束します
19:45財政黒字です今では彼らはそんなことは言わないが、
彼らに投票すれば政府の赤字は減るだろうと言われると 19:50政府の赤字は定義上、あなた方が小さくなることが約束されている
19:57非政府部門の財政黒字は彼らがそのように言ったら、私は信じなければなり
ません 20:04ほとんどの有権者は、私はその人には投票しないと言うでしょう、まあ、彼らはほとんどが理解していませんし、一度ならず
20:11彼らは理解していませんオーストラリアン・ファイナンシャル・レビューの一面で政府の赤字が減少しているという記事とその隣の
20時18分に家計貯蓄が同時に減少しているという記事を何度か見たが、それらは結びつかない。 t20
:24 まさに正しいこととの間に関連性があると思います、そう、いわゆる借金の借金を取り除きましょう
20:30国の借金、それとも国債の発行をやめて別のことをすべきか、ご存知の通り
20:37スティーブン、この言葉を使わなければならないのは、もし政府がただ赤字を出し、
20:45ドルを貯蓄として蓄積させれば彼らは正しいのだからそして、私たち
は 20:53 みんな、ああ、大丈夫だと言うだろう、私たちにはドルがあるし、それは中央銀行の貸借対照
表に負債の能力として現れるだろう 21:00 しかし、その貸借対照表には負債という言葉はない
21:05 連邦準備制度には負債という言葉はない台帳に負債という言葉を書いて、それを
21:11準備金と呼ぶだけで、誰もそれについてパニック発作を起こしませんが、
21:18の準備金が有価証券と交換されると、負債は
21:24財務省の帳簿に記載されます。 21:32連邦準備制度の代わりに米国財務省の元帳で、それは公に
保有されている公的債務の一部として参照されています、そしてそれは6対6のようなものです、あなたは誰にどうしたいのですか
21:39利息はFRBか財務省に支払う。FEDが利息を支払うとき、
21:48準備金として知られる資産に利子を支払うとき、我々は単に準備預金残高に対する利子と言うだけで、財務省が利子を支払うときのことを、
21:54利子負担と言う。国債か何かのことで、
私たちがそれについて話すのは22時01分です、それは非常に問題があるからです、そしてご存知のとおり、私はこれに25年ほど取り組んできました、または
22時09分もっとこの時点で国民を教育し、ああ、
22:16会話を変えるほどの規模で突破するのは非常に難しい
22:22その理由だけで私のことを知っていれば、
22:28どちらかの債券の発行をやめろと言うように私を説得できるだろう
22:34 3 か月物の T Bill が金利を設定するだけで、翌日物金利がゼロまたはゼロに非常に近い値に戻します。22:42
そうすれば、金利負担や利息支出などについての会話はほとんど消え去ります。
22:48他の選択肢は、中央銀行に有価証券を発行させるというもので、そうすれば全体がもっと
透明になる 22:54それが金利に関するものであること、それはそれが金利を維持することに関するものであるということがより透明になる
23:01ゼロ うーん、財務省はそうではない有価証券を発行するのはFEDでなければならない、そうすればもっと透明性が高まるだろう
23:08 だから、1つまたは組み合わせが私たちを助けることができると思う 23:14
これを超えて、終わりのない戦いと会話
23:20 債務不履行についてそして債務上限と負担、そして残りのすべて
23:29 そうだ、そうですね、現在米国の債務上限は停止されていることに気付きました
23:38一時的に彼らは何をしたのですか、ええと、彼らはそうだと思います、なぜなら
23:44最後の言葉は、IIIがこれを正しく覚えていないかもしれないようなものですが、合意に達しました
23:52彼らは、十分な水準に引き上げることに投票しましたそれが
23:57になることはないだろう、次のX日までの問題だそうだ、来年の初めだと思う、24:04は今年の再来年になるかもしれない、そうだね、でも、24:10の支払い
には代償があったことはわかっている
24:15 そうだ、
とにかく、私たちはそこに行く必要のない道を進んでいるのかもしれない、私たちは政府が必ずしも
黒字であるべきではないと言っているのではなく、 24:23 私たちは黒字であるはずだ
24:29政府は際限なく支出すべきだとか、予算を慎重に組むべきではないと言っているわけではないのに、私たちは何を言っているのでしょう 24:35政府
はどのように予算編成を進めるべきか、分かったわね
24:41今言ったことを強調してくださいそれは、MMT は、
24:49 予算が赤字であるべきかどうかについての抽象的な立場をとっていないということです
24:55 赤字 中規模の赤字 大赤字 黒字均衡は正しい
25:01 政策の目標は、特定の予算成果を達成することではない
25: 07マクロ経済政策は、本当の成果を達成するため
のものだ 25:13それは公共政策の問題だ そうだ、これは選挙で選ばれた役人がやることだ
25:19そして予算は制約装置であり、彼らはその財源を
医療に投入する 25:26
25:33すべてを手に入れることはできないし、限界があるし、予算は必要かつ重要だ
25:39約束と計画を組み立てる方法特定の年または25:51 年
の一連の経済の生産能力に 25:45 を投入する予定であることを強調して、予算を見て、インフラストラクチャ構造に X ドルを追加投入するつもりだと言います25: 58今年は来年、来年も3年間の法案があります、まあ、それは3年間の約束であり、それは予算の一部になります26:04それはそれで何を達成しようとしていますか26:10子供に対処しようとしています貧困 心に決めている目標はありますか? 子供の貧困率を減らそうとしていますか26:17 知っている限りゼロに近づくまで、2 年ごとに半分に減らしてください26:23 本当の目標は達成できると期待できます26 :28本当の目的とは、マリアナ・マタトのような人たちのことです。26:34今ここにいる人々の多くは、おそらく彼女がミッション26 について次のように説明するのを聞いたことがあるでしょう。39 正しい公共政策は使命志向である 使命とは何か
26:44予算編成プロセスを通じて実現したいことは何ですか。26:50資金を投入することは重要かつ必要なステップですが、十分なステップではありません。なぜなら、必要な支出を管理すること
もできなければならないからです。27:05生産能力の限界、実際の資源の限界、国内の27:11そしてあなたが使用したいと考えている外部の能力、そして地球の27:17生態学的限界を制約する
方法で行うことを提案している成果とはあなたが目標とするものです27:24インフレを糧にするような予算上の成果ではありません ええと人々が持っているもの27:32時々、生活費価格インフレと呼ばれます アメリカとオーストラリアのインフレ率は27:38 ほぼ 8%でピークに達しました米国では、ええと、インフレの尺度の 27:44PC のインフレ指標の 1 つは、現在 3% を下回っています。27 :51 予想よりもはるかに早く下落しています。ええと、失業率が大幅に上昇する必要はありません。27: 58down インフレに関する限り、一時的なチームと永続的なチームについて多くの議論が行われていますが、28:04 常に一時的なチームにいたのはなぜ28:09 が良かったのかと言うと、インフレが定着する理由はいくつかありますが、28:17システム、そして本質的にはあなたが知っているとおり、それ自体が自分自身を養います、それは28:23経済によって提起された懸念の1つですラリー・サマーズのように、彼は28:30一人ではありませんでしたが、おそらくここ米国で最も声を上げていました、そして彼は心配していました28:36特に賃金が上昇し始めることがわかっている状況、そして28:42賃金が上昇すると、企業はコストが上昇し、人件費が莫大な生産コストであるため、価格を上げるでしょう28:49そのとき、労働者は私が言うことを知っていますか?もっとお金が必要だからそのために働くつもりはない、そして、28:55の昔の賃金価格スパイラルが起こる、ああ、どうやって29:01米国でそのようなシナリオが定着するのか想像するのは非常に困難だった29:08労働運動は過去40年間で大幅に弱まっていますラリーのような人々は29:15サマーズは時々1970年代にまだ生きているかのように聞こえることがありますええと、それは60年代または1960年代のどちらかを参照しました29:22 70年代の私たちは、最終的には、最終的にはスタグフレーションについても話すだろう、高成長はほとんどなく、失業と高インフレが併存するような状況になるだろう、そしてもちろん、そのどれもがそうではない29 :39結局何が起こったので、私が初期の段階から何を言っていたかわかるでしょう29:44これは、これは供給ショックです、これは負の供給ショックです、そして、ええと
29:52ご存知の通り、2020年3月に新型コロナウイルスが大流行したとき、私たちはアメリカにいたのです
29:57基本的にこの国のすべての労働者に、必要不可欠でない人は家にいてくださいと伝えていたのはご存知でしょう
30:02経済のために、ワクチンはありませんでした、私たちは持っていませんでしたワクチンができるかどうかは分からない
30:09私たちの最も有名なホワイトハウスを知ってほしかった 30:09科学者のような人たちは、効果的なワクチンを開発するまでに4、5年かかるかもしれないと言っている 30:15
私たちが効果的なワクチンを開発するまで、企業が開発するなと言われていることを私たちは知らなかったドアを開けてください、労働者は
30:22家にいてくださいと言われました、ああ、それはマイナスの供給ショックでした、そしてそれは明らかに人々のお金の使い方を大きく変えました30:30バー、レストラン、ジム、劇場、ネイルサロン、そして30
すべてに行くことができませんでした。
36そういうサービス指向の、あの店、そして我々はサービス経済だ 80%
米国経済の80% 30:42米国経済はサービスだ、そして我々はそれらのことをほとんど行うことができなかった、それで我々は何をしたのか 子供たちは家にいた
30:48学校から帰ってきたできれば自宅で仕事をするように言われたので、空いている寝室をホームオフィスに変えてください
30:55新しい家具を買ったり、デスクチェアやタブレットやその類のものを買ったりするのですが、それらのものはすべて
どこかで製造されている必要があります 31:02そして、私たちにはグローバルサプライチェーンがあるので、私たち全員
31:09サプライチェーンの脆弱性を覚えていますよね、輸送用コンテナがあったはずです
31:15利用できない輸送コストが上昇し、港で船がバックアップされ、そして私たちは
31:20荷物を降ろす人もいなかったし、トラック輸送もあったし、それがさまざまな形で
影響を及ぼした 31:27商品生産の早い段階で価格が値上がりしたのに、私たちには手に入らなかった
31:34あの小さなチップや小さな半導体を製造している工場を知ってください
31:42洗濯機や電子レンジから PCS や自動車、そしてそのすべてに至るまで31:48それらのものは手に
入らなかったので、中古車の価格はしばらくの間異常なほどに高騰しましたが、とにかく重要なのは、私たちが変えたということです
31:56私たちの消費パターンでは、多くのサービスを購入できず、多額のドルを詰め込もうとしていた
32:02商品の非常に狭くて脆弱なサプライチェーンに、インフレ圧力がかかっていた
32:10だから、分別する必要があった勝負は終わった
32:16本当にインフレが始まったのは2021年4月のこと
32:212021 うーん、インフレが4%くらいだと見え始めたんだけど、彼はオーケーって言った
32:28これはFEDの目標の2倍だから、えーどうすればいいんだろう
32:35一時的なものについての議論は実際に経済学者の間であり、これは
中央銀行の応答にメリットがあるのか 32:41中央銀行は
次の項目に応答する必要があるのか、というものでした。46インフレ圧力の増大
32:54私は一度もありません、あなたがこれまでに行ったどのインタビューでも、私は利上げが利上げだという立場をとっていたと思います
33:01私が目にしたあのようなインフレ圧力に対処する正しい方法だったと思います、どのMMTエコノミストもそうしなかったと思います
33:10公平に言うと、私たちはそれが正しい薬だとは思っていませんでしたし、33:18感染メカニズムには懐疑的です、Co
以前から私たちは多くの同僚ほど自信を持っていませんでした
33:27利上げは実際にどのように機能するのかといった伝達メカニズムでは、利上げは
確実な方法で総需要を抑制し、それがインフレを引き下げるのに機能するのか、それとも
それよりも複雑で、特定の状況下では利上げが実際にインフレを悪化させる可能性があるのか
33:40 :48圧力なので、政策として金利ツールには頼りたくなかった
33:53応答 私たちは、この種の問題に取り組むためにできることは他にもたくさんあると答えた
34:00問題を引き起こしているインフレ圧力とバイデン大統領は多くのことを行いました、
港で34:07問題があるなら、これがインフレ圧力を生み出しているものの一部です
港での問題に対処しましょう、だから彼はあなたが知っているように命令しました
34:18247 ええと、私たちはトラック運送と免許発行を支援し、より多くのドライバーを雇用する予定です。そして、34:24労働力に十分な労働者がいない場合、雇用
主がそれを行うのが難しくなっている場合、必要な人を見つけよう
34:30その理由の一部は、何百万人もの労働者、特に女性が
34:37 手頃な料金の保育所が見つからないために傍観していることかもしれない、だからそれに対処しよう、労働者を連れてくるよう努める戻ってどうですか
34:44入国管理はどうですか、あなたはリストの下の方に行くのを知っています、そして、この政権が34:51後で戦略石油備蓄を使って、 34:57um の増加
の一部に対処しようとしてやったことがたくさんあります
ご存知の通り、ガス価格は何百万もの人々にとって困難になりつつありました
35:03ここにいる家族のあれやこれやがイザベラに少しすると
35:09多くの著名な経済学者が当初は えーっと
35:15誰も名前を出しません えー非常に懐疑的でさえも35:24彼らはそうだった
、そしてそれは彼女がそうでなかったという提案に懐疑的だったというだけではなかった
35:30こんな小さなことさえあった ここにいるみんなが知っているかどうかはわからないが、経済学者 えー、若い学者です
35:38 えー、マサチューセッツ大学アマースト校のイザベラです バーは彼女の名前です えーっと
35:43 彼女はガーディアン紙にかなり短い記事を掲載しました 内容は覚えていません
35:50月は登場しましたが、その時までにインフレは明らかに問題であり、
35:56彼女は、消費者が直面している、えー、より高い価格の少なくとも一部は、おそらく企業が36
を利用した結果であるという考えを浮かんでいました。
10インフレの瞬間、よく言えば消費者は、
物を買うとわかっていて店に入ったとき、36:16価格が上がることを期待しているので、もしかしたら
36:21今よりも早く価格をつり上げても済むかもしれない
36 :28私たち自身のコストが上がっているので、価格を上げることはわかっているでしょうが、もしかしたら
もう少し余分に絞り出せるかもしれません 36:34消費者はきっとそうなるでしょうから、これがみんなが話しているインフレのことです
36: 39 そんなに高い値段を払うから、彼女は本当に躊躇しないだろうから、あなたも知っているでしょう、
36:44それが起こる可能性があるし、その種のことが起こっている限り、おそらく人は
36:53いくつかの価格規制があったので、非常にソフトでした
36:58 これが起こっているなら、おそらくこれは彼女がただ行って、これが起こっていることです、そして私たちが必要としているのではなく、ええと多くの人が
37:07 非常に否定的な反応を示しました
37:14企業が何と呼びたいにせよ価格つり上げを利用しているかどうかを確認するのに、その価格規制は政策対応の一部である可能性があるという意見さえあるので
、あなたの言うことはまったく正しいです、ええと彼らは
37 :27オーストラリアでも似たような論争があったね、オーストラリア研究所という機関があって、それが出版したんだけど
37:36ええと、イザベラのアイデアを参考にして、
37:42それを支持する、そして当時のRBAを支援するためにある研究を出版したんだ37:49それはほとんど
異端だったけど、その後、欧州中央銀行のような中央銀行が実際に生産を始めた
37:56現在私たちが経験している過剰インフレと呼ばれるものがどの程度なのかを調査する研究が始まった
38:02現時点で追跡できるか38:09パンデミック
やサプライチェーン、その他のことだけでどれくらいが原因か
38:16 イザベラが指摘したようなことによるものはどれだけあるのかそれについて明確に、彼らは棒グラフを示して教えてくれます
38:22ECB が自ら指摘できるインフレ圧力のインフレがどの程度かを示します
38:30まあ、売り手インフレとかプロフィット L インフレとか呼ばれるものは知っていますが、それは違います
38 :37ゼロそう、RBAが38のときに主要当局者がそれを無視する傾向があるというような研究を発表したところ
:45 彼らはこれらの問題について公の場で議論していましたが、いずれにせよ、おそらくああ、すぐに質問を開いたほうがよいでしょう。
38:52そうか、最近別の本のオークションに成功すると発表したんだけど、
それについて何か教えてもらえますか 38:59それはあなたが言ったかどうか、私は発表していません、あなたがよく言った、私は知りません、私は
39です: 06あまり多くを言える立場にはないだろうね、フォート I でインタビューを受けることになったん
だ
39:21本の仮題を出版することはできるけど、そうはしないと思う、だってそうじゃないから、確かではないけど、
39:30私たちがこれまでやってきたことの多くについては言っておこう。ここで話していることは次の本で扱われる予定です39:37それを
手に入れることができて興奮しています
視聴者に伝えることが重要です
39:51そして、新しい編集者とペンギンのランダムハウスと一緒に出版することです
40:00クラウンが米国で出版する予定です えー、ジョン・マレーが英国版を出版する予定です
40:05彼らは素晴らしいものを作りました赤字神話とは関係なく、彼らと一緒にいられることが本当にうれしかった
40:12教科書のことだけど、広く考えて
40:18インフレは深刻だ 分かった、その本をオーストラリア全土に広めることを楽しみにしているそれが出たら
40:26ギャビー、質問はどうするの? えーっと、本当に素晴らしい質問がたくさんあるのですが、その中から一つ選びたいのですが
40:33それでは最初の質問は、えー、ミシェルからです ええと、国の借金は影響しますか
40: 40私たちの信用格付けは良好
です 40:46私たちはそうです、それはほとんど逆です、国の借金は私たちの信用格付けに影響しますか 40:52
彼女はオーストラリアの観点から話していると思います、まあ、それはオーストラリアからの話です、私がもしあれば
40:58それはそうだね、確かに卒業生だから
41:04学生なら、格付けする借金がなかったら、おそらく信用格付けはないだろうし、その格付けは
41:12代理店は投資家によくアドバイスしてるよ、スティーブン、君は何してるの
41:17言いたいの、私たちが言いたかったのは、大学院生がいて、今はメルボルンのどこかで博士課程の学生です えー、アデラ・ユニオン41:25私がそこにいたとき、マシュー ER と呼ばれていて、私がその論文を監督しているのですが、その人は、えー41:33金融主権政府の信用格付けに対する格下げや警告
の影響を経験的に調べていました
オーストラリア えー、それは
41:41 独自通貨を発行している政府は、外貨建て債務はまったくありません ええと大幅に
41:48 変動相場制では、それにまったく影響がないことを彼は証明しました
41:54 オーストラリアの金利は変わります えーえークレジット
42で:02信用格付け機関に関する限り、オーストラリアなどの政府の格付け
42:09心配だけど、私たちの政治家の言うことを聞くなんて信じられないかもしれないけど、えー、連邦政府
42:17オーストラリアのような国の政治家は、彼らを無視すべきだよ、私たちは1975年ではない、今は米ドルの借金はない
42:25えー私たちには固定為替レートがありません 世界は全く違う場所です 信用格付け会社には
42:31オーストラリア連邦政府に対して何の力もありません 政府がそのことに気づいていて
42:37そうなっているという実証的証拠があれば
42:45あなたが尋ねるとき、格付け会社は政府の能力に影響を与えます
か 42:53そんなことはあり得ません、ええと、それは金利に影響を与えますか
43: 00債務を返済しなければならないのですから、
政策立案者自身が格下げを
国家財政の持続可能性とそれが引き起こす可能性についての正当な警告であると考えているのであれば、43:08格下げが公共政策に実際の影響を与える可能性はあり得ません。ええと、ご存知のとおり
43:25もっと緊縮財政になるように予算を調整してください、ええと駆り立てられているからです
43:31彼らはええ、赤字でもなんでもいいから許され続けることを恐れているのです
43:37それは起こり得ることです43:42財務省の格下げ
、そして突然、少なくとも数人の政治家がそれを警告サインだと呼び始め、
43:50社会保障やメディケア、あるいは
43:56その他のプログラムの削減を正当化するためにそれを使い始めたある種のことなので、そこには皮肉がありますよね、それは政治家たちが
44:03愚かなことをするかもしれないという警告に近いです だってアメリカにおける唯一のリスクは本当に債務を増やさないことですから
44:09SE そう、つまりこの文脈ではおそらく日本について言及する必要があるでしょう
44:15なぜなら、私たちが長年指摘してきた例の 1 つは、
44:21日本国債 ええと格付け会社が
44:26日本政府 ええと国債をある水準に格下げするからですそれはボツワナのそれよりも低かった
44:32 ボツワナ そうだね、これは日本政府にとって本当に悪いことに違いない
44:38 彼らは借りようとしてひどい目に遭うだろうし、法外な金利を支払わなければならないだろう、だから
44 :44 前に、もちろんそのすべては間違っています えー、GDP に対する負債の比率は総額だと思います
44:50 えー、日本政府の借金は現時点で 262 くらいです
44:56 日銀が自己残高で全国債の約 60% を保有しています 44:56シート ええと、中央銀行
45:03 ええと、翌日物金利ですよね、政策金利はマイナスでした
45:09何年もの間、彼らは10年をほぼゼロに固定してイールドカーブコントロールを行ってきた
45:17ここ数年は、金利の制御を失わないように、証券やその他の発行能力を失わないように
45:24たとえあなたがいわゆる死んでいるとしても、格下げされていますね
45 :30 第三世界のようなものですね、発展途上経済ですね
45:37外貨とその他すべてで多額の借金があります
45:43彼女がグレースに言及したとき、NPRのインタビューで混乱が生じました 45:43この人は知的なドイツ人だと思いましたもうすぐ2023年です
45:512024 彼女はアメリカ政府にお願いできますか
45:56答えてくださいと言ってますが、まさに私たちがギリシャに入国するのは彼女は素晴らしいです、そして彼らは
46:03素晴らしいです、そして私がやったので言わせてくださいTwitter でたくさんの人がいるね
46:10NPR やその番組の司会者についてあまり良くないことを言っているのは知っている
46:16そして私はそれが気になっていたのは知っている、なぜなら私は実際に何が起こったのか知っているから
46:23 もしこのことについて二言三言言えるときなら、私がそうしたいのはわかっていると思いますが、46:28そうしたいと思っているので、彼らは私のところに来て、46:34国の借金
についてこのようなヒステリーが起きていることはあなたも知っていると言いました。
非常に異なる見解を持っています。私たちはあなたに来てあなたの見解を共有してもらいたいと思っています。そうすれば
彼らはそれを望んでいたのです46:42そして彼らはあなたに事前インタビューをさせて、あなたが
番組の形成を手伝ってくれる46:48プロデューサーと話しますそうですけど、それは4分半のセグメントでした、それが私の状況でした
4分半が与えられた46:55、そして私はそれを事前に知っていました、それで私は
このすべてを経験するためにプロデューサーと電話で47:00時間を費やしましたそれから彼らは 4 つの質問を思いつきました、そして私の仕事は
47:06 与えられた 4 分半の中でその 4 つの質問に答えることですが、私はその
47:14 最後の応答をすぐに答えられなかったので、彼女はこう言いました。ある意味中断してラップしなければならなかったが、多くの人は彼女がそうしなかったと思った
47:20私に答えさせてほしかった、まったくそんなことはなかった、ああ、ただ時間が足りないのはわかっていただろう、きつい
47 :27台本付きの番組 えー、そして彼女が質問したのは、アメリカが
47:34 ギリシャに似ていると思ったからではなく、なぜアメリカが 47:40 ギリシャに似ていないのかを視聴者に説明する機会を与えてほしかったからです。
もちろん主にグレースだからです。独自の通貨を発行しません そうか、私が言ったように、
47:48プロデューサーにそう思います、なぜなら私たちは主権通貨を放棄して、私たち自身の権利ではない通貨で借り始めるという途方もない愚かな決断をしなかったからです
47:54ギリシャと48:01は発行できません、
ちなみにスペインとポルトガルとドイツとフランスと残りの
48はすべてです:06彼らは、ああ、彼らはソブリン通貨を放棄し、実質的に方向転換しました
48:13政府を使って自分たちを通貨にしているのは、
カリフォルニア州、ニューヨーク州、ジョージア州、イリノイ州、ペンシルベニアなどとそれほど変わらない
48:25そうだね、だからそれは大きな違いだし、アルゼンチン、スリランカ、トルコのような外国人がたくさんいる国とは
48 :33通貨は通常米ドルです、彼らはまた米国とは異なる立場にあります 48:38
たくさんの外貨、たくさんのそう外貨建ての負債、ええと、たくさんの
インフレに連動する48:43予算はここにあるものよりずっと多いです
48:50価格が上昇し始めると、支払いも増加し始めるので、価格が再び上昇し、賃金が再び上昇します。 48:57その
種の固定化されたインフレを実現するのははるかに簡単です、ああ、あなたがいる国では
49:03インデックスのことをよく知っています、それは本当にありがとう質問です
49:09かなり長い間質問してきましたので、NPR ラジオへのリンクを見つけてそこのチャットに入れたと思います
49:16そのリンクが機能するといいのですが、確認していただけますか私が
選んだ 2 番目の 49:24 に行きましょう。素晴らしい質問がたくさんあります。また、
49:30 のプログラムの生徒たちが積極的に参加して、そこでも多くの人々の質問に答えてくれていることを認めたいと思います。ありがとうございました。 49:36そう思います、
はい、それで、この質問はアンからのもので、メッセージングに関するもので、
49:44 私も活動家として興味があるのですが、それでは、
彼女が言った少し不正確な速記についてどう思いますか 49:49括弧内は不正確で、赤字は問題ではないという疑問符が付いていますが
、また、それはより複雑なので税金は支出の原資ではないとも言います 50:02
それよりも、私はそのどちらとも言えません
50:08だから IIそれは私のノーの一部ではありませんか、彼女は
50:15 うーん、人々がオンラインで債券金融理論についてコミュニケーションしていることについて話していると思いますが、
50:20 だと思います、では、私が言いたいことは正しいです、私はどちらを使用しても mmt についてコミュニケーションしていません
50:26これらの略語をそうすることが役に立つと思ったらそうするだろうが、私は目的があると思う
50:34役に立たないと思うので、おそらくどちらのことも言わないようにします
50:41うーんわかる、わかる、なぜ人々が
50:47赤字は問題ではないと言いたがるのか、何を
言わずに放置するかが私たちが正しく信じるように教えられてきた理由だが、50:54赤字は問題ではないと言うのはほとんど同じことだ51:01私たちが彼らを排除するなら、彼らは必要ありません、
彼らが重要でないなら、それは問題ではありません、彼らは必要です、つまり、彼らは重要ではありません、彼らは重要ではありません
51:06大事だから、赤字は関係ないと言う限り、私はいつもあなたのやり方で締めくくります
51:13そうだと信じるように教えられてきたし、税金は使うのが楽しくないということ
51:18それはほぼほぼ私のためです
51:25それが私が主張しようとしているより大きなポイントを前進させるのに役立つとは思わないので
51:31そうします51:36 深く根付いた信念と戦わなければならないのはわかっているでしょう
51:41 なぜ人々が
税金を払っていると思っているのか、そしてそれがどのように税金を払っているのかを知っていますか?政府はあなたに給付金や公共
サービス、その他すべてを提供することを許可していますが、それはあなたの聴衆が誰であるか、あなたがどれだけの時間を持っているか、
そしてどの戦いを選びたいかによって決まるだけであるとあなたは異議を唱えることができます、ええと、それはあります実はリゴさんからの素晴らしい
質問 52:00 えーっと、私はこれです 今は順番に聞いていませんが、多くの
人が興味を持っているかもしれないと思ったこの質問が出てきました えー、何についてあなたの意見を教えていただけますか新しい
52:13アルゼンチンのええと大統領、彼の名前を発音しているかどうかわかりませんミリ ええと
52:20正しく、ええと、150%のインフレを解決するためにアルゼンチンでやろうとしていることについて
52:27ええと中央銀行を廃止するか、アルゼンチンは他に何をすべきか何を
52:33もしアルゼンチンに彼のような人物が突撃にいなかったら他の選択肢はあるだろうか
52:39そうそう、それは大きな質問だ うーん
52:48ほら、これはアルゼンチンにとって新しい問題ではないし、我々がそう考えるのは
52:54これから3分でやろうとしています えー、この質問に対してどんな正義
でもいいのですが 53:00不可能です うーん、彼は明らかに
私の視点とはまったく異なる視点から来ています 53:07私の視点とは明らかに違うと思いますシカゴスクール
53:15ミルトン・フリードマンはステロイドをやっているような奴だと彼は信じている
53:22アルゼンチンが直面している問題はどういうわけかああ、その概念に関連していることを知っている
53:31この話が法定通貨自体を折りたたむことは知っているだろう中央
53:37銀行やその類のものすべて、彼はそこから手を引いたと思いますが、それは彼が
多くの公的資産の民営化を継続し、緊縮財政を追求するつもりであるという公約ではないと思います、そして
53:53ええとあなた初めてではないのは知っていますが、彼らがやったのは初めてではありません
53:58彼らがこのようなことをしたのは初めてです 199 似ています そう、つまり私です
54:04あなたのことを話すにはもっと時間がかかりますアルゼンチン経済は知っていますが、私はアルゼンチン
経済の専門家ではありません 54:11アルゼンチン経済についてはもっと言えますが、時間があるので
54:16だめです、ああ、私たちはそうではありません、傷をつけるつもりさえありません表面上はこのままにしておきますが、彼のマクロ経済は
54 だと思います。23framework は、私が運用しているフレームワークとこれ以上の違いはありません
54:30彼が言ったことの断片は断片的にはあるが、 54:37ええと一致している、54:44インフレ圧力を
軽減しようとするとどうなるかは知っている、54:50現実54:55問題は何ですか、人々はウィキペディアかどこかでアルゼンチンの歴史を調べて、アルゼンチンの過去 150 年を見てみることができると思います55:06この 150 年間、どの段階においても民主主義が成功したことはありませんアルゼンチンでは別として55:13最後にこのような実験が行われてから5年くらい 55: 192000年代初頭に崩壊してからは基本的に2人になった55:25エリートグループ ええと ええと 戦闘と無視55:32ええと 農村部の人々そしてそして、機能する民主主義はこれまで一度もなかった MNT が 55:39 魔法の杖だとは思わないそしてもし、もし、まともな制度がなければ55:45 機能する民主主義がなければ、マクロ経済政策55:51それが何であれ、すべての問題を解決するわけではありません、そう、輸出業者がいる多くの国でこれは起こります55:57本当に国家を運営しているようなものです 非常に良いポッドキャストがあります ええとデビッド56:03マクウィリアムズ、それが誰であるか知っているなら彼はアイルランドの経済学者です、彼は素晴らしい56:08 のポッドキャストを持っています。そして数週間前には、56:15 のポッドキャストで野党党首にアルゼンチンについて話させていました。その会話から多くのことが得られます。56:22これらの問題はいかに深く根付いているのか、そしてマーティンから聞いたところによると、マーティンは56:29非常にうまく説明していると思います、課題が何であるか、そしてあなたが考えることができるいくつかの代替方法を知っています56:36問題に対処しようとしているのは知っていますね56:42私がその内容に完全に同意するという話ではありませんが、私たちが確かに深く尊敬するウォーレン・モシン氏による、M経済学に関するアルゼンチンで何をするのが最善かという彼の見解についての話があります。 com 56:55しかし最後のどこかで彼は次のようなことを言っていた、私はアルゼンチンで何をしているかは分かっているが、57:04うーん、どんな政治団体も実際にこれをやろうとすることに興味があるわけがない57: 11そう、多分それを締めくくるためだけに、それでは57:16 フレーミングのアイデアに戻ったら、ええと、ダイレクトメッセージで質問があるのですが、 57:23 それは gg だと思います57:28この目的にとって最も役立つであろう、私たちがパブリックドメインでできること、あるいはやるべきことはありますか。57:35お金を見つけることが一番重要なことではないと人々に教えることです。
57:41問題、ええと、選挙で選ばれた役人がいるときに出てください、ええと、知ってい
ますか 57:48キャンペーンイベントや有権者と会う、編集者に手紙を書きます、あなたの声を聞かせてください、ラジオに電話をかけます
57:56プログラム、ええと、あなたが持っていると確信しているかどうか知っていますか58:04
あなたは、従来のメッセージングやナラティブがどこでレールから外れるのかを知っています。
そして、あなたが知っている役立つ方法を提供して、フレームワークを見直し、そして
58:17コメントセクションで人々に違った考え方をしてもらうことができると考えています。 58:25初期の頃のことを覚えておいてください、初期のような後押しの多くは、
私たちの取り組みをフォローしていた人たちからのものでした、そしてあなたは
58:33注目を集めた記事の後にニューヨーク・タイムズのコメント欄にコメントを入れたことを知っていますか?経済学者
58:40ポール・クルーグマンが記事を書くと突然、コメントや
58:46経済学者がやったと知っている研究へのリンクが溢れかえりますが、
58:52その記事を書いた人にとってはイライラしますが、 58:58 とてもたくさんの人がそのようなものを読んでいるから、 59:03 コメントを
見て、これは正しくないと言っている人がいたら、あなたが読むべきなのは、これ以外のことですか? 59:10それは広めるのに役立つことがわかり
ました
、ええと、あなたはアイデアを知っているので、人々を招待してください
59:17映画がどこかで上映されている場合は、映画に来てください、ええと思ったら、遠慮してください ええと
59:23しかし、正しく電話して、あなたの声を使って連絡してください楽観的です
59:30私がステファニーを知っている唯一の理由は、私が初めて mmt に興味を持ったとき
59:35mmt に興味を持っている人が非常に少なかったので、あなたが誰であるかはあまり重要ではありませんでした
59:41あなたは全員を知っていたからです59:49とても違う とてもとても違うそう、そして59:55スティーブン君
のような人々の努力のおかげで 君のような人はいいえ、いいえ、 1:00:02いいえ、私たち全員を連れて行きます、ええと、私はこれ以上質問する時間はないと思います。えーっと、もう1 時 00 分 10 秒くらいだから、もう時間を超えていますが、えーっと、チャットに 1 時 00 分 16 秒投稿したことだけを伝えたかったのです。 Modern Money Lab の Web サイトへのリンクです。1 :00:23一緒に勉強しようと考えている人向けの情報がたくさんあります。人々がそれに参加できるさまざまな方法があります。また、1:00:30Q&A プランもあります。 1 時 00分 35 秒くらいに新入生と入学予定者が来ます。まあ、これが 8 日間で始まったのと同じ時間に 1 人が来ますが、その少し後にもう 1 人来ますので、1 時:42もしあなたがそれについて考えていて、私たちに会ってそれについて聞きたいのであれば、私たちはあなたを一緒に連れて行きたいと思います
1:00:48また、このシリーズの次の講義はジョシュ・ファーリー教授です。
1:00:54バーモント大学のジョシュア・アーリが生態経済学について話してくれる予定です。それは
3 日後の 1:01:00です同時に、ええと、
1:01:06 の録画が行われます。これは参加者全員と登録者全員にメールで送信されました。私は
1:01:11 この 1 月のシリーズに非常に多くの関心が集まっていることを確認したかったのです。」本当に圧倒されました
1:01:18 えー、これに参加するためにオンラインで予約した人の数に
1:01:24 えー、この U を無料にしたので、参加できます えー、この 6 人に参加できます
1:01:30何も支払わずに素晴らしい講演をしており、実際に人々はあなたに寄付をしてくれています
1:01:35これを信じるつもりはありませんが、このシリーズを支援するためだけに約35,000ドルが寄付されています、これは驚くべきことです 1:01:42
映画ツアーは非常に高価であるのが不思議です整理してください、ありがとうございます、とても感謝しています
1:01:48ありがとうございます、次の講義は 2 日ではなく 3 日後です、
1:01:53 他の講演者も加えましょう、私たちは持っています、ええと、もう 1 人い
ます:01:59現代貨幣理論の創始者 ランド・レイって誰だ 誰がやるの
1:02:04もうすぐ私たちのために講演してくれるのは誰だ お金の歴史について えーどれだ
1:02:10その話は何度も聞いたけどいつも魅力的だええと、1:02:15私たちの偉大な友人ファテル・カブーからも、あの脱植民地化1:02:21と脱炭素化
について話す予定の人から話を聞くつもりです、そして、私たちのコースについての講義1:02:27から聞くつもりです、デュルケンは誰ですかユーロ圏について話そうと思っています1:02:33 実は 2 人の環境経済学者が私たちと話しています ええと1:02:38 そのうちの 1 人が今私の画面の一番上にいて、実際に私を見ています マーク・ディエンドルフ それは素晴らしいでしょうね1:02:46「持続可能な文明への道」という本の共著者からも話を聞くことができます。それもとても楽しみにしています。そう、そして次の講演で混乱を完全に解消します。私たちのシリーズでは、オーストラリア人にとって金曜日の午前 1:03:01、米国にいる場合は木曜日の夕方です。なぜなら、1:03:07 うーん、そこにいくつかの日付と時間が表示されることがわかります。それを明確にしたかったのです。私たちはタイムゾーンがかなり離れているので 1:03:14 タイムゾーンがかなり離れているので、うーん、でも、みんなにリマインダーをしてみます 1:03:19 正確に時刻がわかるように、そしてもちろん、私たちはとても大きいです1:03:27Stephanieに感謝します。そして、この講演だけでなく、私たちが1:03:33大学院の資格を持って、時間を割いてオーストラリアに出てきて一緒にツアーしてくれて、私は
1:03:40とても楽しみです、本当に楽しいことになるでしょう、オーストラリアを旅行して、
1:03:47人々に会えるのは素晴らしいことです、そして、素晴らしい時間を過ごすつもりです、本当にありがとう
1:03 :52やってくれて、確かに私たちはかなり離れているので、
1:03:57ステフに会えることはめったにありませんが、私もとても楽しみにしています
1:04:05戻ってくるのがとても楽しみですはいこれで録画を停止できます、ありがとうございました。そして
1:04:10 来てくれた皆さん、本当にありがとう
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿